Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Homelink - not that bad, has it been updated?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2023, 06:07 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,270 Likes on 641 Posts
Default Homelink - not that bad, has it been updated?

So I just picked up my new Targa 4S (2024) and one of the complaints I'd heard a lot that was going to be annoying was Homelink. Not sure if something has changed because I was under the impression that if it was tied to one of your diamond keys it just brought up a screen that you then had to push another button. On my car the diamond key basically is identical to a regular homelink button. As in, I hit the key (next to the exhaust button) and the garage opens/closes. No other button presses or delays and well worth using a diamond key for (I have that one plus the one on steering wheel).

Is this new or how its always been?
The following users liked this post:
tomtomtomtom (08-28-2023)
Old 08-28-2023, 06:10 PM
woobiee
Pro

Received 979 Likes on 316 Posts

If I recall, if you turn on the GPS function for Homelink, you get that dumb window that pops up, blocking everything on screen.
PhotoNerd (08-28-2023)
Old 08-28-2023, 06:58 PM
tomtomtomtom
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by woobiee
If I recall, if you turn on the GPS function for Homelink, you get that dumb window that pops up, blocking everything on screen.
...for about 10 seconds and disappears after you get the garage door open...is it really a big deal that it pops up?...unless you need to be texting or following your navigation 50 feet before your house.
jfb992 (08-28-2023)
Old 08-28-2023, 07:07 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,866 Likes on 1,509 Posts

Originally Posted by slc4s
So I just picked up my new Targa 4S (2024) and one of the complaints I'd heard a lot that was going to be annoying was Homelink. Not sure if something has changed because I was under the impression that if it was tied to one of your diamond keys it just brought up a screen that you then had to push another button. On my car the diamond key basically is identical to a regular homelink button. As in, I hit the key (next to the exhaust button) and the garage opens/closes. No other button presses or delays and well worth using a diamond key for (I have that one plus the one on steering wheel).

It changed with MY22 cars. In earlier cars you always had a screen pop up first to select a profile, even if only one profile was stored.
doug_999 (08-29-2023)
Old 08-28-2023, 07:07 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,952 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by slc4s

99% of complaints about the homelink are for 2020 and 2021 models. If you have a 2022 or newer, you have the updated PCM which fixed the homelink issues including letting you hit the toggle switch to directly open the garage door. My 2021 does not have that and I still have to hit the toggle then push the screen to open or close the garage door. Also, my 2021 still does not consistently pull up the homelink menu when I get close to my garage even though I added the GPS location.
The following 2 users liked this post by AlterZgo:
PhotoNerd (08-28-2023), reddsektor (08-28-2023)
Old 08-28-2023, 07:29 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,270 Likes on 641 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
99% of complaints about the homelink are for 2020 and 2021 models. If you have a 2022 or newer, you have the updated PCM which fixed the homelink issues including letting you hit the toggle switch to directly open the garage door. My 2021 does not have that and I still have to hit the toggle then push the screen to open or close the garage door. Also, my 2021 still does not consistently pull up the homelink menu when I get close to my garage even though I added the GPS location.
Got it.... thanks.

I was just really confused about all the complaining because its no problem at all so I didn't know if that was something new.
Old 08-28-2023, 08:00 PM
woobiee
Pro

Received 979 Likes on 316 Posts

The GPS function presents the button on screen when you approach your destination but you still have to activate it. I'd probably use this function if it actually sends the signal out automatically when I get near my home. I've sometimes experienced delays with the GPS, activating when I'm within a few feet away and at inopportune times.

Like you, I have one of the diamond softkeys for homelink, activating on my own which works every time without fault.

Though I can see the GPS function being more useful for homes with multiple garage doors.
Old 08-28-2023, 08:05 PM
adrianp89
Pro

Received 421 Likes on 193 Posts

Haven’t even set mine up. HomeKit garage door opener + CarPlay makes things very easy
Old 08-28-2023, 10:15 PM
slwong23
Rennlist Member

Received 409 Likes on 209 Posts

I tried to set up Homelink in the new 992 once and couldn't get it working. No issues with our other two vehicles, I'll have to try it again next time I head out. At this point, I have the diamond button on the wheel set to bring up the camera and the one on the dash to turn off auto start/stop.

Originally Posted by adrianp89
Haven’t even set mine up. HomeKit garage door opener + CarPlay makes things very easy
This is a great idea, assume you use Siri to open the garage?

Last edited by slwong23; 08-28-2023 at 10:17 PM.
Old 08-28-2023, 10:38 PM
jbl16
Racer

Received 206 Likes on 104 Posts

Works fine in MY 23, GPS location triggers a small banner with all the garage door buttons.
The following 2 users liked this post by jbl16:
jfb992 (08-28-2023), pfelsen (08-29-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 12:19 AM
HappinessProcured
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 111 Posts

Wish I had a spare diamond button or three
Old 08-29-2023, 12:52 AM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Received 643 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by tomtomtomtom
...for about 10 seconds and disappears after you get the garage door open...is it really a big deal that it pops up?...unless you need to be texting or following your navigation 50 feet before your house.
It covers the microphone icon so I can't tell it what tunes to play. My only complaint. Maybe I can rearrange the icons.
Old 08-29-2023, 01:15 AM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,373 Likes on 747 Posts

On the cayenne MY24, if you engage reverse you must have it back in neutral as you cannot cancel the reverse cam screen. So, start the car, open (if the screen responds), put it in R, take the car out. Stop, put it in N to be able to close the garage. Then R again and off you go. It seems that it was programmed by lawyers. Same ones that programmed robocop 2 with 255 directives.

The screen is also poorly responsive to press or touch so some fondling is required. The GPS works 3 out of 4, so it's a win in Porsche software territory.

How come something so simple can be so poorly executed. I use HomeKit connected to the garage, just tell Siri to close it, even if CarPlay is not yet running. The beeping is annoying but it works most of the time. Getting home, pull up the CarPlay screen and press it. Works for the most part.
Old 08-29-2023, 01:31 AM
Jockey
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

I am honestly surprised how poorly Porsche integrated Homelink.

Just put a goddamn button on the rear view mirror like everyone else.
Larson E. Rapp (08-29-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 07:40 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 840 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by John Mclane
On the cayenne MY24, if you engage reverse you must have it back in neutral as you cannot cancel the reverse cam screen. So, start the car, open (if the screen responds), put it in R, take the car out. Stop, put it in N to be able to close the garage. Then R again and off you go. It seems that it was programmed by lawyers. Same ones that programmed robocop 2 with 255 directives.

The screen is also poorly responsive to press or touch so some fondling is required. The GPS works 3 out of 4, so it's a win in Porsche software territory.

How come something so simple can be so poorly executed. I use HomeKit connected to the garage, just tell Siri to close it, even if CarPlay is not yet running. The beeping is annoying but it works most of the time. Getting home, pull up the CarPlay screen and press it. Works for the most part.
Sounds like the 992 for 2020 and 2021.

Originally Posted by Jockey
I am honestly surprised how poorly Porsche integrated Homelink.

Just put a goddamn button on the rear view mirror like everyone else.
Porsche got the driving dynamics spot on. The rest was apparently done by new engineers who have never driven a car. There are so many little “are you kidding me?” things on this car.

Quick Reply: Homelink - not that bad, has it been updated?