Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Options that add weight - negligible impact?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2023, 10:34 AM
911Castle
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 146 Posts

Does anyone know if the published weight that Porsche puts out are with no options? Meaning if I have PCCB's and RAS, both reduce weight, my car will weigh less than those figures? TIA
The following users liked this post:
jlegelis (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 12:07 PM
Tompoodie
Pro

Received 232 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
These aren’t lightweight cars. Fretting over this stuff is truly silly. The average 992 Carrera build is right around 3500lbs.

If your concern is maximum performance, driver education and track days are going to have a far greater impact than whether or not you specify a full leather interior. You will also realize that a sunroof, an entirely useful thing that opens up the interior of the car, is not going to ruin your handling.

You want to focus on weight that really impacts your performance? Get to the gym.
It may be silly, but equally so for what Porsche charges for lightweight options such as
lightweight glass or carbon fiber roof or making rear seat delete only available on more expensive models.
It is a cheap way to save some weight; anyone who autocrosses will care, as these relatively small amounts
of weight loss can very well be the difference between winning or losing, not infrequently a few thousandths of a second.

Some people purchase cars with more horsepower than they will use but just like knowing that it is there.
This may be a similar phenomenon.
Old 08-30-2023, 01:37 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,186 Likes on 1,837 Posts

Originally Posted by 911Castle
Does anyone know if the published weight that Porsche puts out are with no options? Meaning if I have PCCB's and RAS, both reduce weight, my car will weigh less than those figures? TIA
Publish weight is for the default car in the configurator. For example, the default T is rear seat delete. If you add seats, you'd have to add the weight of the seats to the published figure to get the approximate weight of your car. PCCBs I don't believe are standard on any car except limited run models like the ST, so you'd have to subtract the difference. RAS is only standard on the GT3 I believe. Also, RAS doesn't reduce weight. It adds weight.
Old 08-30-2023, 03:25 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 768 Likes on 340 Posts

FWIW I suspect RAS is a net weight-loss option, considering that it is included in the lightweight package. The lithium battery saves 25kg (source – lithium is 12.75kg, "one third" of the standard battery), and I don't think the mechanisms are that heavy. I'd also be surprised if ventilated seats are that heavy.

I wonder how many pounds the Burmester system cost me over the standard or Bose systems. I'm guessing my "oops, all options!" car rings in a bit over 3500lbs. For the way I use the car, I wouldn't notice if it was a hundred pounds lighter 99% of the time. The few tenths it might gain me at autocross are nothing compared to the 2-3 seconds I could gain by becoming a better driver, or the 1-2 seconds I could gain by switching my PS4S for Cup 2s.

Last edited by zachr; 08-30-2023 at 03:26 PM.
jlegelis (08-30-2023)
Old 08-30-2023, 03:55 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 812 Likes on 376 Posts

IMHO biggest bang in terms of weight reduction (unsprung weight, rotational mass, ~10lb per corner savings) are PCCBs which alas are no longer available on non-GT cars. I drove 2020 992 almost identical to mine but with PCCBs (when you could still order them) and the difference was readily apparent in ride and handling in spirited driving. Having said that, while I agree many of these lightweight gains are 'incremental', as someone previously noted unless you are doing back-to-back a/b comparisons or measuring with a stopwatch you quickly 'acclimatize' and stop noticing the slight changes. So yeah, intellectually there's a difference, but perceptibly it's pretty subtle IMHO.

Good 991 thread here: bottom line is 85lbs worth 12hp for $16k?

Last edited by jlegelis; 08-30-2023 at 04:00 PM.
Old 08-30-2023, 04:18 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by zachr
FWIW I suspect RAS is a net weight-loss option, considering that it is included in the lightweight package. The lithium battery saves 25kg (source – lithium is 12.75kg, "one third" of the standard battery), and I don't think the mechanisms are that heavy. I'd also be surprised if ventilated seats are that heavy.

I wonder how many pounds the Burmester system cost me over the standard or Bose systems. I'm guessing my "oops, all options!" car rings in a bit over 3500lbs. For the way I use the car, I wouldn't notice if it was a hundred pounds lighter 99% of the time. The few tenths it might gain me at autocross are nothing compared to the 2-3 seconds I could gain by becoming a better driver, or the 1-2 seconds I could gain by switching my PS4S for Cup 2s.
nope. All cars come with li batteries now. RAS adds weight. Seem to recall in the 20-30lb range but you’d have to confirm. If you’re just driving around town, like many have said, load up on options without care for weight. So what if you end up with a 3,500lb car if it’s not going to be used in a manner that makes a difference?
Old 08-30-2023, 04:29 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 768 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilder
nope. All cars come with li batteries now.
Do you have a source? I'm nearly certain that's not the case except on GT-division products.
Old 08-30-2023, 04:52 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Do you have a source? I'm nearly certain that's not the case except on GT-division products.
No, but I’m sure that if you call your SA or do a search on this forum you’ll find that info. This was discussed in detail a few months ago here.
Old 08-30-2023, 05:20 PM
repcapale
Rennlist Member

Received 604 Likes on 268 Posts

Depends what part of world.
In Canada, all 911's come with lithium.
Old 04-03-2024, 10:25 PM
recarv
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

FWIW - I've been toying around with my GTS4 with steel sunroof, FAL, 18way, extended leather, non-RAS and added some weight (about 18lbs) from the musicar stereo upgrade, but lost 36lbs from replacing the AGM battery with an antigravity, added about 10lbs back from an ALP and net gains and losses from going with a moshammer fixed wing vs the electrical retractable wing. With some winter tires and larger, but forged aluminum wheels it weighed in at 3460lbs. Right in the zone.

Then I swapped winter wheels when my itespeed RS5RR magnesium wheels came in. THIS created a huge difference. Total weight savings by the swap (front wheels are 15lbs each, rears are 18.6lb each) was probably less than 50lbs overall, but the unsprung difference feel is enormous. So don't fret on 10lbs somewhere on the car, go for unsprung weight.

My next target is to go with Surface Transform CCBs when my steels are ready to die. This should give me another noticeable feel and better stopping. To be continued.

Last edited by recarv; 04-03-2024 at 11:06 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by recarv:
Jeff Whitten (04-05-2024), jlegelis (04-05-2024), PhilH930 (04-03-2024)
Old 04-03-2024, 11:32 PM
Orca911
Rennlist Member

Received 440 Likes on 235 Posts

Who are you racing against?
Old 04-03-2024, 11:57 PM
recarv
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Me? nobody. I just enjoy the the precise feeling in a corner, I do road rally and I'm just saying where you save weight matters - go for unsprung.

Jeff Whitten (04-05-2024)

Quick Reply: Options that add weight - negligible impact?