Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 Carrera T Interior / RWD Concerns / Good placeholder until 4S?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2023, 11:22 AM
porschewiseguy
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 992 Carrera T Interior / RWD Concerns / Good placeholder until 4S?

Hello all,

I am on a waiting list for a C4S and my SA said it could be anywhere from 12-24 months. I live in Northeast and really wanted a 4WD/AWD due to heavy snow/rain. But now, my SA told me he has an available allocation for a Carrera T I can have now and the car would be here later this year. Obviously I am interested - if I can have a 911 right now then why not? But since the Carrera T is RWD and the interior is..."basic..." I am not sure what to do.

Question is: is the leather option in the Carrera T comparable at all to the S/4S? I know the middle of the seats have the sports tex but how about the rest of the cabin? Are all the parts/materials in the T inferior to the S/4S?

Second question: Is RWD safe to drive? I'm just so afraid that in a RWD car with this much HP, that it will just slip/spin out of control and lose traction when putting your foot down and driving, similar to what happened to Paul Walker who died in a Carrera GT accident. I would put winter tires on in the winter. But I am afraid even in the summers that this thing won't be safe to drive. Are these valid concerns?

Last question: if I finance a Carrera T now, what would by my options be when the C4S allocation comes along? Would the dealer buy back the T at a good price and I could transition into the C4S? Would it be better to sell the T privately? How is the resale/depreciation on the Ts? Is it a bad financial strategy to take a T now and then try and sell it in 12-24 months when the C4S comes along? Do people do this?

Appreciate any help and thoughts!
Old 08-25-2023, 11:44 AM
SamD
Racer

Received 301 Likes on 142 Posts

Q1: Almost all the interior options are available across the range, so you can order what you want, no?
Q2: PSM will largely limit loss of control scenarios, albeit less so with the MT. AWD better in some ice/snow conditions, but a Carerra is not the vehicle to be taking out when there is a fresh 6" of snow anyway. Studded tires will offer a great deal of traction.
Q3: This is so market dependent, hard to know for sure. In general, most depreciation occurs during 1st year or so, which is when you'd be selling. Hard to imagine a scenario in which you don't lose at least some $$. In the meantime, you have a kick-butt car that'll put a smile on your face every time its driven.
Old 08-25-2023, 11:52 AM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 793 Likes on 369 Posts

Respectfully, you should consider taking some performance driving lessons before shopping / owning any of these cars IMHO. You'll never enjoy a car you are driving 'scared', so perhaps check out what's offered by Porsche https://www.porschedriving.com/atlanta or other well known 'performance driving' schools before deciding to purchase (or not...)

Regarding the Carrera GT - there were a host of 'contributing' factors in that accident: lack of stability control, 9 year old tires, excessive speed, so apples and oranges. But at the end of the always remember no safety device can circumvent laws of physics - always understand the limits of the car and don't rely on nannies to save you.

Last edited by jlegelis; 08-25-2023 at 12:16 PM.
The following users liked this post:
tourenwagen (08-25-2023)
Old 08-25-2023, 11:54 AM
adm63
Pro

Received 914 Likes on 334 Posts

I live in the north east and just got my T. Not my daily so I'm not worried about snow but with snow tires I would expect it will do fine on plowed roads in the cold, helps having weight over the driven wheels. The car has plenty of rubber for the power you really wont break the rear end free by accident in the dry. Leave PSM on.

I have the $0 interior and I'm totally fine with it, if you were planning to go full leather in your c4s you have that option in the T, unless you do a special package like club leather 930 etc as far as I can tell its the same standard leather and will cover the same places, just have to pay for it. Can even add ventilated seats to delete the sport tex cloth, even though personally I really like the sport tex.

No experience but it seems like plenty of people on here have had several 992 since they came out, probably because they couldn't get exactly what they wanted the first time, doesnt seem like a bad idea if you dont want to wait with no car to drive.

As for T vs c4s, I was set on the T after they announced it since I wanted RWD and manual and don't care about extra power. At some point in the past I would have looked at the C4S for the awd for winters but I don't think it's necessary and prefer rwd for fun driving. I wouldnt compromise if you are set on awd but I would consider if awd 911 is really what you want, depends on the purpose of the car.
Old 08-25-2023, 11:55 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,160 Likes on 1,828 Posts

1. The interiors are the same. You just have less options with the T.
2. All C2s 911 are excellent in the snow, and I'd argue, more fun than C4s. The new ones have a lot of tech to address your concerns. Rain mode being one of them.
3. Historically, T resale is generally better than C4S resale but all 911s have great resale. Buy it and trade it back in or sell it privately. You won't bleed in either scenario.
Old 08-25-2023, 12:42 PM
FrstPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Not 4s are perfectly fine in light snow and rain as long as you have winter tires which you need anyways on a 4 too. Only times I don’t take it out is when 3/4+ inches of snow is forecast. You will need another car to at least take on these days.
Old 08-25-2023, 01:20 PM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,438 Likes on 696 Posts

Driving in the snow is not fun and one bad skid or hitting hard snow jutting out into the street can cause damage so I don't understand why someone would want to drive a 150K car in the snow.
The following users liked this post:
Icegrill (08-30-2023)
Old 08-25-2023, 01:40 PM
Ray K.
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Staffie Guy
Driving in the snow is not fun and one bad skid or hitting hard snow jutting out into the street can cause damage so I don't understand why someone would want to drive a 150K car in the snow.
I always have some scrapes on winter driven cars from narrower roads (due to snowbanks) and hard snowbanks.
Old 08-25-2023, 01:47 PM
tna3
Racer

Received 137 Likes on 88 Posts

As others have said, regardless of 911 variant you need snow tires if you want to drive in cold weather. Car comes with very large summer tires and stopping will be the biggest issue even when there is no visible snow/ice. With snow tires the T should do just fine for normal use, remember the weight is on top of the drive wheels. If you were planning to hit snow country and drive on untreated roads, well then get something with ground clearance.
Old 08-25-2023, 01:49 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 578 Likes on 265 Posts

Don't have any worries about driving modern traction controlled enabled powerful RWD cars on the road as long as you're not driving at the limits of grip (which you shouldn't even be close on the road). I had a 997S which I drove year round with winter rubber during cold months and was fine.

Plus, you can feel what a true RWD car feels like to handle (and may end up preferring it over a AWD car!).
Old 08-25-2023, 02:09 PM
ndmiller
Instructor

Received 141 Likes on 71 Posts

Just a word on power and performance. I own a base 718 and will own a T (October) which is essentially a Base 911 power wise. These cars are ridiculously quick and capable in a much better drivers hands than me and I never thought about more power once.

0-60 for a 911 base is between 3-4 seconds and the 718 Boxster is between 5-6, so technically almost just over 1/2 as fast/quick.

Regardless in the last year in my 718 I've never thought about needing or wanting more power in the GA mountains while driving. The 718 (Turbo 4) is insanely fast/quick and pulling .9G is a normal weekend drive. The 911 T is technically faster and more capable, yet compared to an S or GTS or GT3 it's technically slower. Personally I don't think it matters in normal/spirited driving on public roads, they all pretty amazing cars, just get what you can and drive it.

Quick Reply: 992 Carrera T Interior / RWD Concerns / Good placeholder until 4S?