Sponsored by:

Looking to buy a 2020 Carrera C4S

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2023, 01:50 PM
pbcsd
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Looking to buy a 2020 Carrera C4S

New to the community, hopefully soon to be an owner.

So have been on the fence for a while between a 911 vs a Taycan, but already have a Tesla Model Y and an Audi Q5 in the garage which will remain, so heavily leaning towards the iconic 911. Didn't realize the number of packages/add-ons etc that were available in these cars and when buying used, trying to ascertain which features are most important.

I'm looking at two right now that are priced about the same with similar km.

First one has under 5,000km on it which seems a bit odd to me, with no CPO, from a Landrover dealer.
- White metallic with slate grey/chalk leather (curious how the leather holds up to denim stains?)
- Premium package
- Sunroof
- Sport Chrono Package (I don't see Sport exhaust listed, unless the package comes with it?)
- Power steering Plus
- Surround View Cam
- Lane Change Assist
- Heated GT steering wheel
- 14-way power seats
- bunch of other aesthetic stuff (red belts, red counter, headrests embossed, etc)

Carfax detailed history is clean but a bit odd, doesn't show service records after Dec2019, car was new Oct 2019 so I assume no warranty left? Also odd as it shows a tire change service in Dec 2019 presumably to swap to winters, which I would have thought would imply higher km driven, but no services after the Dec 2019 (tires or otherwise).

Second Car is Dolomite Silver, about 32,000km, new in June 2020, plus has 2 year CPO sold by Porsche dealer:
- Black standard leather
- Premium Package
- Sport Package (exhaust/chrono)
- Sunroof
- Power Steering Plus
- Surround View cam
- Lane change assist
- Night view
- 14 way power seats with memory
- Ionizer
- Heated GT Steering Sheel
- Crest embossed headrests
- Carbon fibre interior

Biggest difference is warranty, and km.

The sport exhaust is one thing I think I will miss, though have been reading about this cargraphic valve control that maybe does the same sort of thing, not sure what the cost is to buy/install?

Outside of that, the night vision though not sure how useful that really is.

What should I be looking for in folks opinion? Also open to maybe dropping to a C4 vs C4S, if the only difference is mostly the 0.4 seconds or so to 60?
Old 08-18-2023, 01:52 PM
EZ E
Pro

Received 398 Likes on 194 Posts

All thing being equal I'd purchase the CPO 992.
The following 2 users liked this post by EZ E:
devexpert (08-21-2023), pkalhan (08-27-2023)
Old 08-18-2023, 01:57 PM
pbcsd
Racer

Interestingly, the one from the Landrover dealer also still looks to be on a winter tire setup. Will see what the individual says when I speak to her later.

The lack of CPO does make me wonder. I do see some dealers offer aftermarket warranties, but those always make me a bit nervous.
Old 08-18-2023, 01:58 PM
pbcsd
Racer

Originally Posted by EZ E
All thing being equal I'd purchase the CPO 992.
Looks like you're in Ohio, I'm in Toronto. Do you drive yours in the winter at all? Curious what the experience is like.
Old 08-18-2023, 02:13 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 762 Likes on 355 Posts

992s are amazing in winter with a proper set of wheels and tires. The only real concern is clearance if it's really dumping. Search for a bunch of related threads on winter tires, etc.
The following users liked this post:
pbcsd (08-18-2023)
Old 08-18-2023, 02:16 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,459 Likes on 800 Posts

The under 5km is not really that strange; a lot of people barely drive their 911s. I have looked around at used options in the past and it is very common to find cars a few years old with very low mileage. I'd focus on that one; get it to a Porsche dealer for a PPI, possibly ask them to CPO it (around 3k here in the states if the car qualifies).
Old 08-18-2023, 03:37 PM
pbcsd
Racer

Originally Posted by dhirm5
The under 5km is not really that strange; a lot of people barely drive their 911s. I have looked around at used options in the past and it is very common to find cars a few years old with very low mileage. I'd focus on that one; get it to a Porsche dealer for a PPI, possibly ask them to CPO it (around 3k here in the states if the car qualifies).
Thanks, I do like the car and with some decals I think could pop quite nicely. Concern is denim transfer, have had bad experiences in the past with light coloured leather!
Old 08-18-2023, 05:06 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,820 Likes on 951 Posts

The Land Rover dealer CANNOT CPO a Porsche. So it would not be CPO. Like someone said, you may get a P dealer to do it for you.

Easy way to tell if the first one is PSE is if it has the 2 oval pipes or the quad tips, assuming you have pics. Quad tips, no PSE.

But 5k and 32k kilometerage ( is that a word) is not the same. That's an extra 17k miles! Personally one thing I would be in on is the wheels, the color. The white to me is more attractive than dolomite. But I would want chalk or something, and not just white, though the white is a classic look.

Options are similar. The C4S has advantages more than just HP over the C4. They are different enough, but since I assume both of these C4S cars are PDK and not manual, maybe you would be just as happy with a C4.

OH AND the interior. My interior is black with deviated chalk seat centers and no transfer from denim, 2 years+ and 10k miles in. I would have gone full chalk seats but didn't want the slate and chalk, I wanted the dash, wheel, etc. in black. And they don't offer the full chalk seats with black in the 992, only the 718 had that option currently.

Last edited by 3rdpedal; 08-18-2023 at 05:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
pbcsd (08-18-2023)
Old 08-18-2023, 05:19 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 673 Likes on 437 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
OH AND the interior. My interior is black with deviated chalk seat centers and no transfer from denim, 2 years+ and 10k miles in. I would have gone full chalk seats but didn't want the slate and chalk, I wanted the dash, wheel, etc. in black. And they don't offer the full chalk seats with black in the 992, only the 718 had that option currently.
Not being a snarky dick, however I think you can get the black up top and the chalk interior (full seats and the rest) with the $20,000 interior option box checked. The "Exclusive Manufacture Two Tone" interior. I just configured it and it adds a bunch of stuff (about $24K uncharge with mandatory options). So, you could get it now, not sure about when you ordered.

I wouldn't pay that much for that interior, although, yes, that would be the perfect combo to me. I cheaped out and got the slate/chalk and it works fairly well and like you no dye transfer ever.
Old 08-18-2023, 05:24 PM
pbcsd
Racer

Called a local Porsche dealer here, they said they would not CPO a vehicle not purchased from them unfortunately.
Old 08-18-2023, 06:38 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,820 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by PHX
Not being a snarky dick, however I think you can get the black up top and the chalk interior (full seats and the rest) with the $20,000 interior option box checked. The "Exclusive Manufacture Two Tone" interior. I just configured it and it adds a bunch of stuff (about $24K uncharge with mandatory options). So, you could get it now, not sure about when you ordered.

I wouldn't pay that much for that interior, although, yes, that would be the perfect combo to me. I cheaped out and got the slate/chalk and it works fairly well and like you no dye transfer ever.
I know about that. I'm not sure if I knew about it when I ordered, but I would not have spent the $16,500 on the interior - price at the time for the EM Two Tone special upgrade - (or about $10k more since my interior included as many do the full leather at $4,500, the 930 leather at $1000, and the crests on headrests at $300 or so). So the price is less than it seems if you factor in what you have already selected.

If I went back and could do it again or got a new one and sold mine, I don't know that I would opt for it, as there are a couple other options that are at the top of my list. But in a money is absolutely no object/no budget world, sure.
Old 08-18-2023, 07:20 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,459 Likes on 800 Posts

Originally Posted by pbcsd
Called a local Porsche dealer here, they said they would not CPO a vehicle not purchased from them unfortunately.
Call a few others. All dealers are different in this regard. You might get lucky. The other thing you can do is purchase the Fidelity Platinum warranty. I believe that's better than CPO anyway, and transfers/etc, and is around 5k last time I checked.

There's a vendor/member here who sells and is very forthcoming / responsive.

Last edited by dhirm5; 08-18-2023 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-18-2023, 07:26 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,683 Likes on 5,112 Posts

Originally Posted by pbcsd
New to the community, hopefully soon to be an owner.

So have been on the fence for a while between a 911 vs a Taycan, but already have a Tesla Model Y and an Audi Q5 in the garage which will remain, so heavily leaning towards the iconic 911. Didn't realize the number of packages/add-ons etc that were available in these cars and when buying used, trying to ascertain which features are most important.

I'm looking at two right now that are priced about the same with similar km.

First one has under 5,000km on it which seems a bit odd to me, with no CPO, from a Landrover dealer.
- White metallic with slate grey/chalk leather (curious how the leather holds up to denim stains?)
- Premium package
- Sunroof
- Sport Chrono Package (I don't see Sport exhaust listed, unless the package comes with it?)
- Power steering Plus
- Surround View Cam
- Lane Change Assist
- Heated GT steering wheel
- 14-way power seats
- bunch of other aesthetic stuff (red belts, red counter, headrests embossed, etc)

Carfax detailed history is clean but a bit odd, doesn't show service records after Dec2019, car was new Oct 2019 so I assume no warranty left? Also odd as it shows a tire change service in Dec 2019 presumably to swap to winters, which I would have thought would imply higher km driven, but no services after the Dec 2019 (tires or otherwise).

Second Car is Dolomite Silver, about 32,000km, new in June 2020, plus has 2 year CPO sold by Porsche dealer:
- Black standard leather
- Premium Package
- Sport Package (exhaust/chrono)
- Sunroof
- Power Steering Plus
- Surround View cam
- Lane change assist
- Night view
- 14 way power seats with memory
- Ionizer
- Heated GT Steering Sheel
- Crest embossed headrests
- Carbon fibre interior

Biggest difference is warranty, and km.

The sport exhaust is one thing I think I will miss, though have been reading about this cargraphic valve control that maybe does the same sort of thing, not sure what the cost is to buy/install?

Outside of that, the night vision though not sure how useful that really is.

What should I be looking for in folks opinion? Also open to maybe dropping to a C4 vs C4S, if the only difference is mostly the 0.4 seconds or so to 60?
How are these 2 cars priced the same? Given the mileage differences.

That said, what was the MSRP of these two cars?

Either of these cars would be a fine purchase if and only if priced appropriately.
Old 08-19-2023, 09:46 AM
pbcsd
Racer

Originally Posted by dhirm5
Call a few others. All dealers are different in this regard. You might get lucky. The other thing you can do is purchase the Fidelity Platinum warranty. I believe that's better than CPO anyway, and transfers/etc, and is around 5k last time I checked.

There's a vendor/member here who sells and is very forthcoming / responsive.
Thanks, I think that is just for US folks (Fidelity)?
Old 08-19-2023, 09:57 AM
pbcsd
Racer

I think some off brand dealers offer “Global warranty” or something named like that. But only covers claims up to cad$5k. Which seems useless to me as it costs I think $1500.

plus, it’s not the $5k repairs I’m worried about!

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a 2020 Carrera C4S