Sponsored by:

Who here came from a BMW?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2023, 10:01 PM
Snareman
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Question Who here came from a BMW?

New to the forum as you can see by my post count. Brief backstory... long time BMW guy, 4 european deliveries, 4 performance center deliveries, etc, with most recently several M4's and currently an M8 which I love. Gorgeous car, amazing V8, great tech, great interior build quality. Overall a great daily driver. However at 191" long its every bit of a GT car and I'd like something a little smaller next time around, although not another M4 in its current iteration. I had one and it's an amazing car, but I just didn't love it. There is some rumor BMW may come out with a new 6, but who knows if there will be a coupe version or only a grancoupe and the M coupe would be a year further out usually. I have no desire for a sedan and have an X3 for winter and larger car needs.

I've always been a Porsche admirer, but never been a Porsche guy. I've been to the museum in Stuttgart, PECATL and am planning a trip to LA for PECLA and Thermal (the BMW west coast performance center) in the spring for some more driving. I drove a Cayman at PECATL and it was a little small so I've been looking at 911. I went to my local dealer today, spent about an hour talking to sales guy that's been there 24 years, and got on their allocation list for a Carrera S. He said maybe next fall which is sooner than I was thinking as I'd probably prefer Spring 2025 to give me about 3 years with the M8 and skip the car sitting in my garage for the Ohio winter. He said if I came up sooner than I wanted he'd just leave me at the top of the list until I was ready.

So my question(s)... I have no doubt that the 911 driving experience will be amazing, especially compared to the much larger M8. It would lack a few things like an actual trunk and HUD. I'm glad they finally have wireless AA and am looking forward to the new all digital dash on the 992.2. I've read a few of the other threads on here with people talking about it being generally fine as a DD as long as you aren't planning on toting too much stuff, but did those of you that came from BMW miss things like the HUD or an auto open/close real trunk compared to the frunk that opens and closes like a regular car hood? Or in the end the car is just so amazing that forgoing those things ends up not being that big of a deal?

The following 2 users liked this post by Snareman:
LeftLane50mph (08-19-2023), Victory911 (08-17-2023)
Old 08-17-2023, 10:20 PM
edofloat
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 68 Posts

I recognize you from Bimmerpost. I sold my 2022 G82 recently and have a coming 911 that should arrive in the port of Houston this evening. The G82 wasn't a DD and the 911 won't be either. I'll get back to you in a few weeks and let you know what is missed/not missed. I don't expect to miss the HUD, couldn't see it well on the G82 with polarized glasses anyway.
The following users liked this post:
Kish Galappatti (08-18-2023)
Old 08-17-2023, 10:27 PM
johnohara
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 74 Posts

I came from a E39 which I loved,

Later a M550, it was really fast in a straight line but an absolute boat on the track ... loved it as a very fast family car, when I stopped driving kids around... it sucked.

The new cars are so ugly and every year they get more extreme, like BMW is daring us to hate them. I just left the brand and will not come back. When Bangle destroyed the 5 and 7 series 2005 it started a process and IMHO the "Beaver teeth" finished it off, that and the N63, the crap runflat tires,

BMW has better tech but you don't drive the HUD or the soft close doors. Run Flat's that weigh a ton and don't last, come on.

One last thing... consider the GTS.. What I have and the suspension and brakes are perfect and the option pack is a deal.

Last edited by johnohara; 08-17-2023 at 10:40 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by johnohara:
kcdc368 (08-18-2023), Snareman (08-17-2023)
Old 08-17-2023, 10:30 PM
Snareman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by edofloat
I recognize you from Bimmerpost. I sold my 2022 G82 recently and have a coming 911 that should arrive in the port of Houston this evening. The G82 wasn't a DD and the 911 won't be either. I'll get back to you in a few weeks and let you know what is missed/not missed. I don't expect to miss the HUD, couldn't see it well on the G82 with polarized glasses anyway.
Congrats on the impending car! I've had to get non-polarized glasses and its been fine with the HUD. I didn't have one in the Jeeps I had before my X3 and missed it. What made you decide to go G82 to 911?
Old 08-17-2023, 10:36 PM
a.v.s
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

I had and enjoyed the HUD in my F80, though I only used the speed display when daily driving, M-HUD with the tach when driving spiritedly, and the media controls. CarPlay directions weren’t ever supported on the HUD. I like the central analog tach of the 992 and don’t miss HUD, though I would of course prefer to have the feature. I know the HUD in the F9x, G8x, etc. has more functionality and a higher resolution.

I would expect HUD to come to the 992.2 (following the Taycan, Cayenne, etc.), but it’s also likely to lose the central analog tach. I value the analog tach more.

In functional terms, the lack of enclosed interior storage and built-in luggage compartment cargo net are the only things I find annoying in my 992 compared to my F80. I never really needed the added practicality it offers for my use case.

M-cars, even the new overweight ones, are still probably the best examples of passenger cars adapted to work for spirited driving, including light track use. The 911 and 718 are purpose-built sports cars adapted to work for ordinary daily driving. Even when the performance gap isn’t huge, the driving experience gap is night and day.

Edit: I miss the option of using the iDrive controller to navigate through CarPlay while driving instead of touching the screen, but I do actually prefer PCM 6.1 in the 992 to iDrive 8. PCM 6.1 is closer to the simplicity I enjoyed from iDrive 6; I’ve really disliked subsequent versions of iDrive so far.

Last edited by a.v.s; 08-17-2023 at 10:43 PM.
Snareman (08-17-2023)
Old 08-17-2023, 10:53 PM
jtsrenn
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 59 Posts

"...I've read a few of the other threads on here with people talking about it being generally fine as a DD as long as you aren't planning on toting too much stuff,..."

People say that but I've bought two lawnmowers from Home Depot and brought them both home in 911s (my previous 991.1 and current 992) The 991.1 had the backseat, my 992 does not. Lawnmower behind the seats and box in the frunk. Sure, it's not a SUV but but it hauls more than it looks.
STIGETTE (08-18-2023)
Old 08-17-2023, 10:55 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Received 1,375 Likes on 515 Posts

It's been a while but definitely had a BMW phase (E36, E46, E92 M3s) but haven't had one since 2016 IIRC. None of the current BMW lineup does anything for me but I am semi-shopping for another E36 M3 and if I had a warehouse, I'd definitely be shopping for an E34 M5 and E31 850CSi in addition...

To answer your question, obviously the tech stuff (digital dash, etc...) is not something I value and didn't have in older BMWs anyway so not missing that. The frunk vs. real trunk can be a bit of a thing with grocery shopping because you have to bend down a lot more so it's a bit more work but honestly it's really no big deal (and I'm assuming you are young if you care about tech anyway).

These cars aren't huge family haulers but they are amazingly practical. My personal cars are all sports cars and the ones that I consider the practical ones (where I can fit the whole family - me, wife and two kids) are 911s. We won't be able to to do that forever as they keep growing but for now it works!

Last edited by RudyP; 08-17-2023 at 11:08 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by RudyP:
Honza (08-18-2023), johnohara (08-17-2023), Patriot (08-19-2023), PHX (08-18-2023), shrimp money (08-18-2023)
Old 08-17-2023, 11:15 PM
Snareman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by a.v.s
I had and enjoyed the HUD in my F80, though I only used the speed display when daily driving, M-HUD with the tach when driving spiritedly, and the media controls. CarPlay directions weren’t ever supported on the HUD. I like the central analog tach of the 992 and don’t miss HUD, though I would of course prefer to have the feature. I know the HUD in the F9x, G8x, etc. has more functionality and a higher resolution.

I would expect HUD to come to the 992.2 (following the Taycan, Cayenne, etc.), but it’s also likely to lose the central analog tach. I value the analog tach more.

In functional terms, the lack of enclosed interior storage and built-in luggage compartment cargo net are the only things I find annoying in my 992 compared to my F80. I never really needed the added practicality it offers for my use case.

M-cars, even the new overweight ones, are still probably the best examples of passenger cars adapted to work for spirited driving, including light track use. The 911 and 718 are purpose-built sports cars adapted to work for ordinary daily driving. Even when the performance gap isn’t huge, the driving experience gap is night and day.

Edit: I miss the option of using the iDrive controller to navigate through CarPlay while driving instead of touching the screen, but I do actually prefer PCM 6.1 in the 992 to iDrive 8. PCM 6.1 is closer to the simplicity I enjoyed from iDrive 6; I’ve really disliked subsequent versions of iDrive so far.
Not sure why, but one of the few places that Android wins as Waze directions show up in the HUD. From the pics I've seen it looks like they'll be a digital tach now. I like the digital BMW dashes so I'm looking forward to it going all digital on the 911 and hopefully you are correct with the HUD, although I'm not getting excited til I see it as real. Being new to Porsche I'm not familiar with how big of changes they make between models like this or if if it's closer to a BMW LCI where its mostly cosmetic stuff.

I agree on your characterization of the two. BMW makes great DD's that are also really sporty (///M) whereas Porsche makes great sports cars that can function as a DD.
Old 08-17-2023, 11:19 PM
Snareman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RudyP
It's been a while but definitely had a BMW phase (E36, E46, E92 M3s) but haven't had one since 2016 IIRC. None of the current BMW lineup does anything for me but I am semi-shopping for another E36 M3 and if I had a warehouse, I'd definitely be shopping for an E34 M5 and E31 850CSi in addition...

To answer your question, obviously the tech stuff (digital dash, etc...) is not something I value and didn't have in older BMWs anyway so not missing that. The frunk vs. real trunk can be a bit of a thing with grocery shopping because you have to bend down a lot more so it's a bit more work but honestly it's really no big deal (and I'm assuming you are young if you care about tech anyway).

These cars aren't huge family haulers but they are amazingly practical. My personal cars are all sports cars and the ones that I consider the practical ones (where I can fit the whole family - me, wife and two kids) are 911s. We won't be able to to do that forever as they keep growing but for now it works!
Great pic! I don't disagree on where BMW seems to be going. I'm on my 8th BMW, but all the new ones they are coming out with just aren't that appealing to me. I saw the M2 in person a few weeks ago and thought the previous generation was much better looking. The new iX and XM's don't do it for me. I do really like the X5, but don't need that much SUV for one of me and definitely don't need to spend that much.

Well, I'm 50, but I think a young in shape 50 that just climbed Kilimanjaro. I'm techy though so I appreciate the tech.
RudyP (08-17-2023)
Old 08-18-2023, 12:14 AM
German1967
Pro

Received 562 Likes on 252 Posts

My DD is a BMW. E90 then F22. Now have a G42 M240 on order. Design certainly has suffered. B58 though is a gem and iDrive miles ahead of PCM.
Old 08-18-2023, 12:25 AM
TUD
Rennlist Member

Received 1,345 Likes on 749 Posts

After 30+ years we are slowly leaving the marque as we are currently attempting to thin our BMW fleet of five. As we near two years with our 997.2 we see little reason to stay with BMW as the brand is no longer what it was.

Last edited by TUD; 08-18-2023 at 12:29 AM.
johnohara (08-18-2023)
Old 08-18-2023, 12:33 AM
Snareman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TUD
After 30+ years we are slowly leaving the marque as we are currently attempting to thin our BMW fleet of five. As we near two years with our 997.2 we see little reason to stay with BMW as the brand is no longer what it was.
That's what I was telling the guy today. BMW is no longer the enthusiast brand that it once was. I get it from a business standpoint, but it does still make it a little less appealing in some ways from an enthusiast standpoint, especially when the car design is getting worse along with it.
Old 08-18-2023, 12:34 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,112 Likes on 1,197 Posts

When I bought my 992 two years ago, I gave no thought about trading or selling my 2016 M4. Still a great and fun car…but I don’t consider it to be on the same level as the 992. Different cars, for different purposes.
Old 08-18-2023, 12:38 AM
Snareman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
When I bought my 992 two years ago, I gave no thought about trading or selling my 2016 M4. Still a great and fun car…but I don’t consider it to be on the same level as the 992. Different cars, for different purposes.
I loved my F82! Perhaps my favorite car so far, aside from my M8.

Pool Shark (08-31-2023)
Old 08-18-2023, 12:39 AM
TUD
Rennlist Member

Received 1,345 Likes on 749 Posts

OT, I was always a fan on your Enzian Blue G82. Well the color…lol

Last edited by TUD; 08-18-2023 at 12:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Who here came from a BMW?