Sponsored by:

iPhone holder for 992

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2023, 07:13 AM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 778 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Staffie Guy
I don't use/need Carplay. I use the Porsche nav which I really like, and I run my Spotify music through Porsche's native Spotify which has a much better display than Carplay.
Tell me more. Does Spotify have trial subscription? Does it have high quality, lossless sound?
Old 08-05-2023, 03:35 PM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Received 1,192 Likes on 481 Posts

I wrapped my rennline mount in black Alcantara today.

Old 08-05-2023, 04:24 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Received 485 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Patriot
Tell me more. Does Spotify have trial subscription? Does it have high quality, lossless sound?
We’re going but let’s do it lol

Unfortunately, Spotify still doesn’t have lossless. If you have Spotify Premium like me and you go into the Spotify app settings for audio quality, and set it to the highest level (“very high”) which is equivalent to 320 kbps. It’s a shame because CD quality is 1411 kbps. Spotify announced it’ll come out with HiFi res quality a couple years ago but it’s still delayed. Apple Music offers very high quality (even higher than CD quality): Apple Music Lossless (24-bit/48kHz) and Hi-Res Lossless (up to 24-bit/192kHz). For context, CD quality is 16-bit/44.1kHz. I have both Spotify and Apple Music but my playlists are on Spotify and I’m too lazy to switch it all over to Apple! But when in the 911, I try to use the integrated Apple Music and ask “Hey Porsche” to play “whatever” on Apple Music so I get the higher qualify (by the way you have to go into the Apple Music settings on your iPhone and make sure you select the lossless quality otherwise it makes no difference).

On my last note (and now I’m really on a rant): too many people are streaming low-quality audio (heck the Spotify settings default to “normal” at 96kbps) on high-end stereo systems, be it Bose, Burmester, or otherwise and not realizing that you only get out what you put in… Put in very low quality audio (a fraction of old CD quality) and don’t expect to get premium high definition sound!

Originally Posted by eclou
I bought one of these off Amazon. Its like a pair for $15. I liked it so much I put it into every car

But what happens when you take that thing off one day? Won’t it damage the piano black piece or leave a bad residue?
Old 08-06-2023, 08:28 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 347 Posts

There’s no world where you, me, or anybody else is going to be able to discern the difference between 320kbps and lossless in an automotive environment unless you are sitting in a quiet garage with the ignition off doing A/B testing on your Burmester. Even then, 9/10 ppl won’t be able to tell a difference in controlled listening, so don’t worry about it.

(and yeah I’ve been two channel audiophile for 40 years, but when I’m in my 992 the only soundtrack I care about is Ing. Ferdinand’s ‘Flat 6 Symphony’ in G-minor’).
Old 08-06-2023, 08:36 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jlegelis
There’s no world where you, me, or anybody else is going to be able to discern the difference between 320kbps and lossless in an automotive environment unless you are sitting in a quiet garage with the ignition off doing A/B testing on your Burmester. Even then, 9/10 ppl won’t be able to tell a difference in controlled listening, so don’t worry about it.

(and yeah I’ve been two channel audiophile for 40 years, but when I’m in my 992 the only soundtrack I care about is Ing. Ferdinand’s ‘Flat 6 Symphony’ in G-minor’).
I don’t disagree. I’m just saying it’s almost pointless to pay for Bose or worse yet Burmester, play crap quality audio, and think you’re listening to killer audio quality. Might as well save the money because the placebo is free!
The following users liked this post:
jlegelis (08-06-2023)
Old 08-07-2023, 02:07 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,266 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by SS22
I don’t disagree. I’m just saying it’s almost pointless to pay for Bose or worse yet Burmester, play crap quality audio, and think you’re listening to killer audio quality. Might as well save the money because the placebo is free!
I “kind of” disagree. With a system like the Burmester in the car on the road with volume up is where I notice the lack of quality input the most. Not saying it’s ever going to be an awesome listening environment (far far from) but system and input quality do make a difference.
Old 08-07-2023, 02:28 PM
SS22
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by slc4s
I “kind of” disagree. With a system like the Burmester in the car on the road with volume up is where I notice the lack of quality input the most. Not saying it’s ever going to be an awesome listening environment (far far from) but system and input quality do make a difference.
I didn’t say it doesn’t make a difference. My original point is that it makes a big difference and Spotify’s best quality is not even close to CD quality. The other poster’s comment was that most people can’t tell the difference. But you’re one of the ones who can and I’m not surprised.
Old 08-07-2023, 10:47 PM
LISsailor
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 87 Posts

I just installed the rennline phone holder. Aside from the cig lighter power socket in the passenger footwell and the 2 USB-c plugs in the armrest, is there an alternate such as in the glove box? I didn't see another option. Where are you guys plugging in?
Old 08-07-2023, 10:52 PM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Received 1,192 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by LISsailor
I just installed the rennline phone holder. Aside from the cig lighter power socket in the passenger footwell and the 2 USB-c plugs in the armrest, is there an alternate such as in the glove box? I didn't see another option. Where are you guys plugging in?
Passenger footwell.

I have a 90 deg usb c cable so it just routes straight back. I can’t see it when my phone is attached. Pic a few posts up.
Old 08-07-2023, 11:53 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,647 Likes on 778 Posts

I just bought the Rennline mount to use with my existing MagSafe charger. i did not want to go through the hassle of removing the trim piece and was hoping that I could just remove the left side torx from the glove box to give me enough space the slide it in and stick it in place. I did a "dry fit" without exposing the adhesive tape and without removing that torx screw. It actually slid in fine and is in there nice and snug.. So for now, I am just leaving it like that.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:21 AM
Daytona67
Advanced

Received 89 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
I just bought the Rennline mount to use with my existing MagSafe charger. i did not want to go through the hassle of removing the trim piece and was hoping that I could just remove the left side torx from the glove box to give me enough space the slide it in and stick it in place. I did a "dry fit" without exposing the adhesive tape and without removing that torx screw. It actually slid in fine and is in there nice and snug.. So for now, I am just leaving it like that.
I was hoping someone would try this...I'm planning to do the same
Old 03-08-2024, 08:25 AM
SLVVRO
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was a good suggestion, I did the same and worked great.

One reason I wanted to stop using the spot under the armrest, which would otherwise be the most convenient, was that my phone was getting far too hot in there. To the point where I saw for the first time the thermal warning.
Old 03-08-2024, 10:44 AM
Artzwrk
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SLVVRO
This was a good suggestion, I did the same and worked great.

One reason I wanted to stop using the spot under the armrest, which would otherwise be the most convenient, was that my phone was getting far too hot in there. To the point where I saw for the first time the thermal warning.
Is it possible for you to take a picture or detail how you just slid it in? I don't have the car yet so I'm not super familiar with the interior but this sounds kinda the perfect solution?

Thanks in advanced!
Old 03-09-2024, 08:25 AM
txpackers
Racer

Received 299 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by SLVVRO
I drive this way all the time with my phone plugged into the USB-C port. My iPhone never over heats. Does the overheating happen to you after many hours of driving?
Old 03-09-2024, 11:40 AM
Shambler
Racer

Received 259 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by txpackers
I drive this way all the time with my phone plugged into the USB-C port. My iPhone never over heats. Does the overheating happen to you after many hours of driving?
Mine has not overheated to the point of disabling itself, but it is noticeably warmer.

However, I think it's Apple CarPlay just running it at a high usage, because it when it's not in the arm rest I notice it being very warm, too.

The arm rest would just trap radiant heat. Honestly, I think it's fine.

Quick Reply: iPhone holder for 992