Targa decisions

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2023, 01:30 PM
renken
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Targa decisions

I am currently migrating from a 991.2 Targa4S to a 992 Targa

Whilst mine has been off the road for a while (long story!) Ive been driving a few other cars from Porsche

992 Targa 4GTS with rear wheel steer option
992 Coupe 4GTS with rear wheel steer option

Now ive never really enjoyed the handling on my Gen2 991 as felt it quite a big car into corners etc, i put it down to being the Targa with extra weight, i considering myself (of course) a very confident driver, confident in karting and driving sims and in my 50's having spent alof of my years racing around in various cars driving for a living, so i don't think it's me being a rookie.

Anyway

After first driving the 992 i drive having rear wheel steer (992 Targa GTS) it felt so much more nimble, i am able to quickly push this in all weathers, and confident enough now where im really exploring the edge of grip in the dry and wet. I had a few back out moments in my Gen2 991 that woke me up, really came out of nowhere. I hate to say this (ducks for cover) but it felt at times like my old mans 2.8 capri. Is that the rear wheel steer or the better geometry setup of the 992?

I need to know this answer because i didn't really want to drift over £125k budget. Which ive discovered 2 issues.

A) it seems the Targa4 doesn't allow the rear wheel steer option in the UK!!
B) Im concerned i may miss the power of the 4S engine dropping back from 420bhp in my 991.2 Targa4S to 385 in the 992. .

Having now driven the 911 GTS in Targa and Coupe versions i think i can say i really dont need the 480bhp for roads, its almost too much as you just can't stretch it's legs much on the twisty roads where i live without potentially dying. What i do like is it feels like my old bike from the 90's where nearly every straight no matter short is 100mph(theoretically of course as i would never attempt this on public roads of course).

Anyone with some insight into these two dilemmas appreciated! Maybe i need my dealer to lend me a non rear steer 992 385 bhp model for me to decide.

Last edited by renken; 07-30-2023 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-30-2023, 01:41 PM
Parktel
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you want an open top with the caveat that it's heavier and less nimble? Targa
Do you want a more 'sporty' drive compared to the targa with the caveat that you can't open the top? Coupe
Old 07-30-2023, 01:45 PM
renken
AutoX

Originally Posted by Parktel
Do you want an open top with the caveat that it's heavier and less nimble? Targa
Do you want a more 'sporty' drive compared to the targa with the caveat that you can't open the top? Coupe
Thanks im already past this decision as above having driven both Targa GTS and Coupe(with sunroof) there is absolutely no comparison for me. Targa hands down.

I want a roof down car for the summer, the coupe with the sunroof is not inmho a sunroof really it's a small vent. No good. The coupe would be my winter car maybe but then i don't want to be in this in the winter, ill opt for my SUV there most of the time. I want my car for the summer and roof down days out.
I do feel the Coupe is slightly more rigid but honestly it's closer than i thought it would between the two. My concerns are about the questions i asked, rear wheel steer and 4S power.

Last edited by renken; 07-30-2023 at 01:46 PM.
Old 07-30-2023, 02:28 PM
Parktel
Track Day

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

that was a quick decision.
Old 07-30-2023, 02:35 PM
renken
AutoX

Originally Posted by Parktel
that was a quick decision.
No the decisions im triyng to make are

Do i go for rear wheel steer as above see my previous post
If so it almost forces my hand as the Targa4 doesn't offer rear axle steer only seems available on 4S! .

Old 07-30-2023, 05:12 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

You want RAS and you are worried about missing the power of your S and a targa is a must have. I think your choice is obvious.
The following users liked this post:
renken (07-30-2023)
Old 07-30-2023, 06:52 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,647 Likes on 778 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
You want RAS and you are worried about missing the power of your S and a targa is a must have. I think your choice is obvious.
Agreed.
Old 07-30-2023, 06:54 PM
renken
AutoX

I think it is, it would be good to hear from other people their thoughts on the contrast of a 992 with or without RAS compared to a 991.2 handling.

And performance between 4 and 4S Targa!!
Old 07-30-2023, 07:56 PM
Gables
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Don’t you have to option PDCC in order to get RAS? Both are tied…at least in the States.

If so, the incremental cost is much more than just the cost of optioning RAS.

With that said, I’d get the Targa 4S with the PDCC/RAS combo.
Old 07-30-2023, 10:08 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,647 Likes on 778 Posts

Originally Posted by Gables
Don’t you have to option PDCC in order to get RAS? Both are tied…at least in the States.

If so, the incremental cost is much more than just the cost of optioning RAS.

With that said, I’d get the Targa 4S with the PDCC/RAS combo.
You actually can get RAS without PDCC in the States. You just can't get PDCC without RAS.
Gables (07-30-2023)
Old 07-31-2023, 12:07 PM
Mainely996
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Drew46
You actually can get RAS without PDCC in the States. You just can't get PDCC without RAS.
I

This is how my Targa 4S is, RAS with no PDCC. I have the Audi equivalent of PDCC in my RSQ8, on the big SUV it works, don't miss the option in my Targa.

Shodoc911 (08-01-2023)
Old 07-31-2023, 12:28 PM
Gables
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Mainely996
I

This is how my Targa 4S is, RAS with no PDCC. I have the Audi equivalent of PDCC in my RSQ8, on the big SUV it works, don't miss the option in my Targa.
Interesting perspective. Others are of the opinion that PDCC on the Targa is nearly a must given its top-heavy nature and that the combination of PDCC/RAS improves handling significantly.

I have no experience with either option…just passing along information.
Old 07-31-2023, 12:57 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,266 Likes on 638 Posts

Interesting perspective. Others are of the opinion that PDCC on the Targa is nearly a must given its top-heavy nature and that the combination of PDCC/RAS improves handling significantly.

Just as another perspective I didn't spec either on my inbound Targa (which was a no-expense spared build for me)

RAS I was close on. Lots of things I like about RAS. Low speed I like the agility. Highway I didn't LOVE the feel so I left it off.

PDCC I think is over-rated. The whole "top-heavy" narrative around the targa is funny to me. Maybe if I was trying to maximize performance and track the car I'd be interested. But if I was going to track a car and max performance I wouldn't be buying a targa.
renken (07-31-2023)
Old 07-31-2023, 12:58 PM
Mainely996
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

I understand that. I am coming from a 991 c4 couple and the addition of RAS and horsepower is huge. That being said, it's pretty much a touring car, and I don't track it and don't see why someone would, the suspension isn't really set up for that use, and Porsche doesn't lower it the 10mm like other sports suspensions even if you check that option. If that is the goal, get a coupe. It is fine for spirited driving, better than 95% of whatever else is on the road.
Old 07-31-2023, 03:39 PM
renken
AutoX

Originally Posted by Mainely996
I

That good to know but would you miss RAS?

Quick Reply: Targa decisions