Sponsored by:

Targa decisions

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2023, 05:21 PM
Mainely996
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by renken
That good to know but would you miss RAS?
I wouldn't buy a 911 without it again.
The following users liked this post:
renken (08-01-2023)
Old 08-01-2023, 06:36 AM
812SF
Instructor

Received 137 Likes on 47 Posts

My Targa GTS order freezes in October and Porsche pulled PDCC from my build. They allowed RAS to stay.
Old 08-05-2023, 10:39 AM
renken
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have now excluded the Targa4 from my choice for the reasons below:

The main issue being braking here's why.

Until i replace my written off 991.2 Targa 4S. My long term loan car whilst waiting to spec my new car has been a 992 Targa4GTS and Carrera4GTS for the last 3months both with RAS (rear axle steer)
Both similar however i way prefer the Targa of course, getting in the Carrera4GTS after was strange on a sunny day with just a small opening sunroof it may as well been winter. So that really confirmed i needed a Targa. The Targa also surprisingly is slightly quieter under acceleration ie engine noise from the rear, and is very so marginally softer sprung, which i preferred generally for travelling about without excess bouncing on uneven roads.

What ive really liked about these two cars are the damping and braking performance. Both so incredibly stable under braking at high speeds, performance feels very close considering the weight difference id challenge many of you out there to tell unless it was a challenging track comparison

Carrera Cabriolet
For contrast as i wanted to feel what the 385bhp engine feels like i opted to test a standard Carrera Cabrio 2wd.
Oh my god i was shocked, no not at the engine performance but the braking and handling. I had to switch the suspension to sport mode immediately as it felt so soft it was like i was in a standard saloon car. Next the braking, i took the car down my same country road section which features a series of S bends a downhill straight into a tight left which requires heavy braking on a slightly uneven surface. Im glad i took a cautious early braking point as i was shocked at how different this car felt under braking with regards to pedal power needed and stability under braking was so much less, and made me realised how dam rock solid the GTS is here, its absolutely night and day.
On that note alone i drove it straight back to the dealer and handed the keys back, whilst i enjoyed the rear wheel drive for a bit the rest was truly dreadful. Also the seats i felt i was sat on them not in them like the GTS (18way) so i will ensure also i spec at least the SportSeats Plus option for as ive read alot of GT3 owners opt for them (weight save and still feel good) I also found the 18way in the GTS annoying as each time i got out the car the poxy seat would go right back, and id have to press my memory button to get forward to my position again.

Another observation which actually was the reason i wanted to drive it was the engine power was actually much closer than i thought it would be, a bit less torque was noticeable but top end not that much different to the GTS and almost more gratifying you could wring its neck a bit more round country roads unlike the GTS

So these discoveries on the 'standard' Carrera made me concerned that, if the Targa4 is equipped with similar brakes and damping rate to the entry Carrera then i would cry spending all that money on a car that felt this bad!
Was this the dealers intention all along to laden me with the finest ie the GTS in the hope i would become hooked(like a drug addict) , because if money was no object i would have the GTS, although i would get rid of the black wheels i hate them.

Summary (this is my observations after driving the GTS!)
Way too soft handling (needs sports options enabled to feel anything near my liking)
4 way seats felt lacking comfort (felt i sat on them not in them)
Braking no where near the GTS
Engine felt better than i expected i can't believe its 100bhp less it still felt fun and closer thant 100bhp apart.

Brake disc concerns
So now i am scurrying around websites looking at brake disc sizes:

Targa4 Front disc 330mm
Targa4S Front disc 350mm
Targa4GTS Front disc 405mm

So it seems if i opt for the 4S i will get better brakes but still im not any wiser about the damping rate on the 4S ? Anyone know or compared a Targa 4/4S or Carrera v Carrera S for suspenion/handling?

Edit ive just spoken to my local Porsche Stealer and have politely asked them if i can drive their 0miler 992 Targa4S just round the block, i dont need much time in it like i discovered with the Cabriolet i just need to know it's right before i commit !
WIll update this review Monday giving feedback on how the 992 Targa 4S compares in handling ride and braking to the Targa 4GTS

Last edited by renken; 08-05-2023 at 02:36 PM.

Quick Reply: Targa decisions