992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Dashcam for 992 S Cabriolet??

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2023 | 10:53 AM
readydiverone
Racer

Default Best Dashcam for 992 S Cabriolet??

Hey guys, need to get a dashcam for my 2022 992 S cab, but not sure whether there is any solution for a rear cam with convertible. If not, does parking monitor function still work? Also, would rather not hard wire cam so interested in battery (lithium etc, not car battery) powered cams. Thanks.
Old 07-19-2023 | 11:06 AM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by readydiverone
Hey guys, need to get a dashcam for my 2022 992 S cab, but not sure whether there is any solution for a rear cam with convertible. If not, does parking monitor function still work? Also, would rather not hard wire cam so interested in battery (lithium etc, not car battery) powered cams. Thanks.
I did front only and ran the cam wire down to the power socket. On the plus side this also keeps recording for 30 min after I park.

I debated a rear facing windshield mounted interior camera but decided against it.
Old 07-19-2023 | 11:24 AM
readydiverone
Racer

Thanks, which cam did you get?
Old 07-19-2023 | 12:59 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Thanks, which cam did you get?
Viofo A139 Pro
Old 07-19-2023 | 01:07 PM
readydiverone
Racer

Thanks. Can you expand on the parking function? I don’t want to hardwire the unit, only plug it into the power port in the passenger footwell. Will that work for the parking monitoring? Thanks again.
Old 07-19-2023 | 01:18 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

I had my dealer order the parts for the Porsche front and rear dashcam. I have no idea how the rear will work on the cab, but it's all OEM, and the dealer will be installing next week. I'll report back here.
Old 07-19-2023 | 07:21 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Thanks. Can you expand on the parking function? I don’t want to hardwire the unit, only plug it into the power port in the passenger footwell. Will that work for the parking monitoring? Thanks again.
Parking Mode won’t work on my camera unless it’s hardwired. A backup battery may work too but likely still has to be hardwired.

The lighter socket stays on for 30 minutes after you shut off the car so the camera will stay on and keep recording for those 30 minutes so that’s fine for me.
Old 07-19-2023 | 08:42 PM
readydiverone
Racer

Thanks.
Old 07-20-2023 | 10:44 AM
mikey94025
Rennlist Member

I would first make sure you really need parking mode (what do you think will get recorded and will it be actionable). If yes, dashcam parking-mode battery solutions are generally not lithium-ion but instead LiFePO4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate) for safety reasons (explained here). Fortunately the popular dashcam manufacturers also sell parking-mode battery packs for their dashcams. However, these are still usually hardwired to charge vs. connect to the lighter adapter to both protect your car battery from draining and trigger parking mode automatically. You can find many useful dashcam recommendations on forums like dashcamtalk (example) or rdforum.

I used both Blackvue (DR-900S) and Viofo (A139 Pro, current) dashcams in my cars and 992. I don't use parking mode and you can easily start without it by running the power cable around the edge of the windshield and own into the passenger-well adapter plug. Later, you can consider hardwiring to a fuse or mirror tap (both are simple to do, so don't be afraid to do it yourself or ask an installer to do it for you).
Old 07-20-2023 | 01:03 PM
readydiverone
Racer

Thanks much, that's what I plan to do, start simple and see how it goes. I did see that Blackvue makes a battery you can use with the Viofo that you can plug into the power port, which charges the battery while running the cam.

Quick Reply: Best Dashcam for 992 S Cabriolet??