Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did Porsche South Bay service dept rip me off?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2023, 03:07 PM
Ah10
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ndmiller
Don't they know owners communicate on the good, bad, and ugly of dealerships, sales people, indy shops, and everything aftermarket for these cars? $2,495 is an insane figure for the services listed.

I got my Lexus LX570 serviced for 100K with Oil/Filter change, Coolant flush and change, Brake Fluid flush and change, Air/Cabin Filters, new Battery for Key, Tire Rotation, and a loaner vehicle while they had the car. It was all under $500 US. Yes I could have done all that myself, but not for under $500 including the tine it would take and the disposal of old fluids. Not saying a sports car and SUV are the same, but they both have 1 engine with a few filters, 4 wheel disk brakes with one caliper each and one master cylinder. It's not like Porsche is blending custom fluids for the car on site???? I'd love to see the detailed estimate on that one.
I get that dealership has a much higher labor cost and such, but what really pissed me off is he said he wont be able to clear the service reminder on the dash board even if i skip doing "Cabin Air Filter" then i asked him What does cabin air filter has anything to do with engine service reminder light? then he said it is what it is, we have to do all the recommended service in order to clear the reminder.

I hate to say that, its beyond retarded.
Old 07-24-2023, 03:32 PM
rasetsu
Three Wheelin'

Received 907 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by ndmiller
Don't they know owners communicate on the good, bad, and ugly of dealerships, sales people, indy shops, and everything aftermarket for these cars?.
Because the majority of people don't. Many not only exclusively have dealers perform their maintenance without question but return to the one they bought their car from because they believe they must in order to maintain their warranty coverage. Most regular people have no idea that there are forums like these that exist regardless of the make and model of their vehicle.
Old 07-24-2023, 04:12 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 811 Likes on 376 Posts

>> but what really pissed me off is he said he wont be able to clear the service reminder on the dash board even if i skip doing "Cabin Air Filter

Get yourself PIWIS setup from @rnlst_log or other sources so you can reset / clear / scan / code whatever you want. IMHO PIWIS is almost mandatory for any technically competent owner interested in unlocking the full ownership experience of these cars. It'll pay for itself after the first service or two....
The following users liked this post:
Ah10 (07-24-2023)
Old 07-24-2023, 04:25 PM
CZS
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by jlegelis
>> but what really pissed me off is he said he wont be able to clear the service reminder on the dash board even if i skip doing "Cabin Air Filter

Get yourself PIWIS setup from @rnlst_log or other sources so you can reset / clear / scan / code whatever you want. IMHO PIWIS is almost mandatory for any technically competent owner interested in unlocking the full ownership experience of these cars. It'll pay for itself after the first service or two....
Without stepping on @rnlst_log toes, can you give a general idea what it costs to get setup with PIWIS? Feel free to PM me if you're more comfortable...
Ah10 (07-24-2023)
Old 07-28-2023, 05:47 PM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Received 733 Likes on 346 Posts
Default Well, they may well have taken advantage ....

Just had my 3 year, 30K service (17K miles actual) done yesterday in Knoxville, and the total cost was $1,518.

Took most of the entire day because they did a couple of recalls, "replacing engine data adhesive label" and re-programming the instrument cluster which was a massive software upgrade because it took forever. Also had they check my side seat pull tabs which they reworked with activated grease to move them as designed.

Old 07-28-2023, 07:35 PM
6172crew
Rennlist Member

Received 184 Likes on 68 Posts

I own a Autel 906, xentry for the E63 and a large snap on box. I just don’t trust the dealers for anything. They all seem to have a scam going unless you personally know the tech who you’re not allowed to talk to. The independent guys are way better in most ways. I’ve owned a half dozen new cars and I’ve had issues with the service department so I started doing things myself except oil changes because I don’t have a real lift and I’m tired of cleaning up oil in my garage.

I had the Mercedes dealer change the oil out on my E63. Got a code a day later and found they left my dip stick out so it would kick a code and they could charge me to diagnose it. Shady dudes that all seem to be in on it as far as keeping themselves employed with stuff like that.

toyota guys removed the wheel weights off a newer 4runner. Thing was vibrating like crazy and they tried to sell me tires.

Kia stinger guys tried twice to get over on an oil change. I had to pull them out and show them the dirty oil. Both times, “oh, I’ll speak with him”.

Chevy SS recalled for steering issue, never tracked straight again until I put my Autel on the car and ran through the adaptations they didn’t do.

The last one was my GL with bad airbags in the rear. They wanted $5000 to replaced everything. I did it for $425 for 2 new bags in the rear.

I know a guy who is a Porsche tech, I’ll get the tools, specs and do it myself. I don’t need the Porsche tech doing laps in my car and charging me for it.

about the only thing I can’t do it machine work and alignments. I could probably figure out the alignment deal but the new machines are much better than ***** and strings. I watched the GT guys do a race car and that system looks very expensive.
spdracerut (07-28-2023)
Old 07-29-2023, 09:46 AM
patentguy
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by russbert

re-programming the instrument cluster which was a massive software upgrade because it took forever.
What was software upgrade? Was it a recall, or an update for all 992s?
Old 07-30-2023, 08:32 AM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Received 733 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by patentguy
What was software upgrade? Was it a recall, or an update for all 992s?
It is listed as recall WPG3: "Re-programming instrument cluster, caused by recall wpg3. Perform wpg3 recall instrument sw (software) update."

That is the exact wording and I did NOT check specifics as I was there from 9am - 4pm and had to travel an hour to home through rush hour that took much longer than that. I am **assuming** it is to fix potential issues like the one that was mentioned in this forum not that long ago about the instrument cluster going dark. I have never had any issues and it's a 2020 992.

Quick Reply: Did Porsche South Bay service dept rip me off?