Sponsored by:

Camera calibration with windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2023, 03:29 PM
gcurnew
Rennlist Member

Received 1,627 Likes on 782 Posts
Default Camera calibration with windshield replacement

I need a new windshield for my 992, and I'm getting conflicting messaging from my dealer service/parts folk.

I have LCA but no LKA on the car...also have Surround View. First, they advise that if the car has LKA it will require a recalibration of the camera after windshield replacement (at an additional $390 cost BTW). I advise that I don't have LKA, and the only cameras on the car are for Surround View, which are located in the front and rear bumper valances and the side mirrors...and shouldn't require calibration after a windshield replacement. At the same time, I'm also advised that when ordering the windshield, the options are "with" or "without" camera. Next, I'm advised there are multiple parts numbers for windscreens depending on the options on the car, and there is only one camera part number for a 992 regardless of options...inferring that all 992s have a mirror camera installed which is only used if the car has LKA (yes, this completely contradicts the with/without camera statement from the parts guys).

I have two concerns: paramount is ensuring I get the correct windshield for the vehicle the first time out, as I don't want to make two dealer trips. I'm nearly certain my car has no camera in the mirror housing that would require calibrating and that I need to order a windscreen for a 992 without a camera. Second, I'm not up for paying an additional $390 to re-calibrate a non-existent camera. It's conceivable to me they just tell everyone this is required with a 992 windshield replacement, and no one has ever challenged them.

Can someone who's had the windshield replaced on a car with Surround View and LCA - or someone who's opened up the mirror housing to do a power tap for a radar detector or dashcam - confirm that there is or is not a camera present? I may need to make a trip to the parts department and get the 992 PET up on the screen to confirm myself, but if someone here has done a windshield replacement on a car with LCA and Surround View, I might be able to save a trip...and avoid the headache of getting the wrong windshield.
Old 07-05-2023, 03:36 PM
911Castle
Rennlist Member

Received 297 Likes on 142 Posts

BWA (Brake Warn Assist) uses the windshield camera. I believe all 992 have this. I think with or without is just implying you may or may not be reusing the existing camera. But either way, when your done, you will have a camera installed. Note, I'm no expert and all this may be wrong. Hope this helps
The following 2 users liked this post by 911Castle:
gcurnew (07-05-2023), jlegelis (07-06-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 01:50 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 769 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by gcurnew
I need a new windshield for my 992, and I'm getting conflicting messaging from my dealer service/parts folk.

I have LCA but no LKA on the car...also have Surround View. First, they advise that if the car has LKA it will require a recalibration of the camera after windshield replacement (at an additional $390 cost BTW). I advise that I don't have LKA, and the only cameras on the car are for Surround View, which are located in the front and rear bumper valances and the side mirrors...and shouldn't require calibration after a windshield replacement. At the same time, I'm also advised that when ordering the windshield, the options are "with" or "without" camera. Next, I'm advised there are multiple parts numbers for windscreens depending on the options on the car, and there is only one camera part number for a 992 regardless of options...inferring that all 992s have a mirror camera installed which is only used if the car has LKA (yes, this completely contradicts the with/without camera statement from the parts guys).

I have two concerns: paramount is ensuring I get the correct windshield for the vehicle the first time out, as I don't want to make two dealer trips. I'm nearly certain my car has no camera in the mirror housing that would require calibrating and that I need to order a windscreen for a 992 without a camera. Second, I'm not up for paying an additional $390 to re-calibrate a non-existent camera. It's conceivable to me they just tell everyone this is required with a 992 windshield replacement, and no one has ever challenged them.

Can someone who's had the windshield replaced on a car with Surround View and LCA - or someone who's opened up the mirror housing to do a power tap for a radar detector or dashcam - confirm that there is or is not a camera present? I may need to make a trip to the parts department and get the 992 PET up on the screen to confirm myself, but if someone here has done a windshield replacement on a car with LCA and Surround View, I might be able to save a trip...and avoid the headache of getting the wrong windshield.
I had mine replaced with LCA and surround view only. No adaptive cruise or LKA. I worked with Suncoast and had a windshield shop they recommend come to the dealership to replace the glass and then Suncoast did the Calibration and an Alignment which was required. All free to me because windshield replacements are $0 deductible in Florida. I also got a loaner so it was nice. Downside is a new windshield took almost 4 months to come in so I barely drove my car for those months.

The brake warning camera is in the mirror.
The following 2 users liked this post by Master Deep:
gcurnew (07-06-2023), vg247 (07-06-2023)
Old 07-06-2023, 02:21 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 347 Posts

Absolutely requires a calibration - almost *all* modern cars due because of the collision detection camera, etc.

Might be worth finding a shop that knows 992s. My wife's BMW needed a windshield and the tech broke the camera during removal so it wouldn't calibrate. The 'national windshield firm' tried to use their portable tool to calibrate three times, then they tried the old 'it must have been broken when you brought it to us' schtick. Thankfully BMW was able to prove via timestamps on the codes when the problem first manifested so we were not out of pocket for a $2500 camera. Lesson learned.

Older WSJ piece on the topic: https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-you...ure-1491211803

Quick Reply: Camera calibration with windshield replacement