Sponsored by:

All 2024 models will be 992.2?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2023 | 04:21 PM
porschewiseguy
Banned

Originally Posted by bwhale
bingo
So what will happen come Summer 2023 and the car is not delivered? How will they explain that? Why give a timeframe like that if this is true? Why not do what Rolex ADs do and not give any time frame and when you get the call you get the call. Doesn't make sense to me why they wouldn't deliver. Thoughts?
Old 07-01-2023 | 04:21 PM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by porschewiseguy
He said the car will be delivered for Summer 2023. Are you all saying this is bull****? Is there no real "order" in the wait list and frequent buyers can essentially cut the line? That doesn't sound fair..
First of all, you needn't worry about anyone cutting in line ahead of you. There is no line, other than the one your salesperson has dreamed up for you. For a dealer to "promise" you a car this far out is simply nonsense. FWIW the dealer doesn't know what allocations they'll get until they're 1-3 months from being able to order a car. It's only when they get their next batch of allocations in hand that they know what they can actually sell someone.
The following users liked this post:
Icegrill (07-02-2023)
Old 07-01-2023 | 04:28 PM
bwhale
Advanced

So what will happen come Summer 2023 and the car is not delivered? How will they explain that? Why give a timeframe like that if this is true? Why not do what Rolex ADs do and not give any time frame and when you get the call you get the call. Doesn't make sense to me why they wouldn't deliver. Thoughts?
They will first stall. They’ll tell you just wait a bit. Once you ask again, they’ll start offering you used 911s. Eventually they will pretend you dont exist.

And eventually, several years from now, if they’ve exhausted their regular pool of buyers, your sales advisor might consider bothering himself to pick up the phone and offer you an unclaimed allocation (but only if the sales manager first threatened his job).
The following 2 users liked this post by bwhale:
Devon Racer (07-31-2023), Icegrill (07-02-2023)
Old 07-01-2023 | 05:01 PM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

Always wanted to ask why people think the dealers should not take care of existing customers first?
Old 07-01-2023 | 05:26 PM
bwhale
Advanced

Originally Posted by ENCT
Always wanted to ask why people think the dealers should not take care of existing customers first?
There are currently two types of existing customers in the 911 market:

1. existing customer with an available interesting trade-in
2. existing customer without an available interesting trade-in

the second category is irrelevant until market conditions change.
Old 07-01-2023 | 05:30 PM
nyca
Drifting

Why they shouldn't deliver? Because they can sell the same allocation to someone else willing to pay ADM. That's the norm now, and as long as there are people willing to pay it, it won't stop.

Basically to be on an MSRP list right now, is a hedge play. You are basically on the list in anticipation of some kind of economic dislocation that will shake up the economy. The dealers know people are on "the list" at multiple dealerships, and people don't call as a courtesy to cancel (they get the car someplace else, they buy something different, they lose interest entirely, etc) - so they really don't know what the demand picture is until they actually get an allocation, and call one of their "customers". At that moment, if the customer says "I am no longer interested", only then do they really know what the market condition is.
Icegrill (07-02-2023)
Old 07-01-2023 | 05:33 PM
RatherJaded
Rennlist Member

Word on the street is the Dot 2 is not coming until MY25, sometime in 2024.

Last edited by RatherJaded; 07-01-2023 at 05:36 PM.
nyca (07-02-2023)
Old 07-01-2023 | 05:53 PM
bwhale
Advanced

To the OP-

If you have your heart set on a 911 this year, call around to other dealers and ask what the going ADM is for your desired build. You can probably find an available late summer/early autumn allocation if you are willing to pay ADM. My own data points are that I've been quoted anywhere from 10-30k ADM in the past month on Ts and GTSs.

And if you find ADM reprehensible, I don't fault you. But keep in mind, that people who paid ADM 2yrs ago have now had their car for 2yrs. People who refused and insisted on paying MSRP are now paying a higher price anyways due to MSRP increases (so they potentially are now paying more than the ADM price from 2yrs ago) and likely still don't have an allocation.

Again, good luck to you and any one else waiting on a 911 with plans to drive it til the wheels fall off
Old 07-01-2023 | 07:21 PM
tomshop
Instructor

My experience with my dealer was a lot more straightforward. I have bought several cars from them so that of course helps. He was clear that my current MSRP order will be for a 2024 992.1. Didn’t sound like there will be a 992.2 in a few months. Of course things can change but I would find it hard to believe there will be a 992.2 before 2025 model year. Many manufacturers are delaying their revised models. Everyone was anticipating a revised G Wagon for 2024 and the order guides are out and the 2024’s are the same as the 2023’s.

Last edited by tomshop; 07-01-2023 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-01-2023 | 07:58 PM
revolve77
Advanced

He said the car will be delivered for Summer 2023. Are you all saying this is bull****? Is there no real "order" in the wait list and frequent buyers can essentially cut the line? That doesn't sound fair..
I hate to say it but sounds like you're on an interest list. Unless you have a commission number for your build now, I don't foresee how you'll be getting a car by late summer.

Porsche dealer in South Austin suggested placing me on an interest list with 5k down but with no guarantee that I will be obtaining an allocation. There were two others ahead of me and given how hard it is to obtain an allocation for my build I figured it was best to check elsewhere. Fortunately I was able to secure an allocation with an out of state dealer and my vehicle is expected to arrive on 9/5/23. Might be worth it to check around and get an actual allocation as opposed to being subjected by dealer giving you a false sense of hope.

Last edited by revolve77; 07-01-2023 at 07:59 PM.
Old 07-01-2023 | 09:37 PM
ENCT
Rennlist Member

There are currently two types of existing customers in the 911 market:

1. existing customer with an available interesting trade-in
2. existing customer without an available interesting trade-in

the second category is irrelevant until market conditions change.
Not trying to argue but that's not the way all dealers work.
The following 7 users liked this post by ENCT:
BED997 (07-03-2023), bwhale (07-01-2023), kkevinqq (07-02-2023), minn19 (07-02-2023), RatherJaded (07-02-2023), Roadworrier (07-01-2023), wingless (07-01-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-01-2023 | 10:06 PM
porschewiseguy
Banned

Originally Posted by nyca
Why they shouldn't deliver? Because they can sell the same allocation to someone else willing to pay ADM. That's the norm now, and as long as there are people willing to pay it, it won't stop.

Basically to be on an MSRP list right now, is a hedge play. You are basically on the list in anticipation of some kind of economic dislocation that will shake up the economy. The dealers know people are on "the list" at multiple dealerships, and people don't call as a courtesy to cancel (they get the car someplace else, they buy something different, they lose interest entirely, etc) - so they really don't know what the demand picture is until they actually get an allocation, and call one of their "customers". At that moment, if the customer says "I am no longer interested", only then do they really know what the market condition is.
This dealer is doing MSRP only. So how would they sell the same allocation to someone willing to pay ADM? They are not doing ADMs.
Old 07-01-2023 | 10:09 PM
porschewiseguy
Banned

They will first stall. They’ll tell you just wait a bit. Once you ask again, they’ll start offering you used 911s. Eventually they will pretend you dont exist.

And eventually, several years from now, if they’ve exhausted their regular pool of buyers, your sales advisor might consider bothering himself to pick up the phone and offer you an unclaimed allocation (but only if the sales manager first threatened his job).
Maybe I am being naive and over optimistic, but I don't think this is how it will play out. Why would they give me any timeline at all if they wanted to play games. It hurts their reputation if it is the way you are saying..
Old 07-02-2023 | 02:00 AM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Maybe I am being naive and over optimistic, but I don't think this is how it will play out. Why would they give me any timeline at all if they wanted to play games. It hurts their reputation if it is the way you are saying..
I’m also going to echo the sentiment of doubt. It’s absolutely absurd trying to order a new 992. I even bought a brand new C2 in hopes of having more leverage in eventually getting a T order placed. There are some super fortunate folks on here who have had a fairly easy time getting a true build slot. I’m on month 7 of ‘the list’, supposedly being number 1 and 3.

Last edited by Icegrill; 07-02-2023 at 02:09 AM.
Old 07-02-2023 | 02:57 AM
CZS
Rennlist Member

FWIW, I walked into my dealer back in Jan 2022 and placed a $5k deposit on an C2S at MSRP with absolutely no prior relationship with the dealer. I was told to expect 12-16 months. I stayed in periodic contact with the SA, who occasionally offered up a variety of CPOs and even a GTS cab that another customer had backed out on. After passing up all of these, I finally got a text from him in April that he had an allocation for me, almost 16 months to the day.
The following 2 users liked this post by CZS:
porschewiseguy (07-02-2023), TheGeneral (07-02-2023)

Quick Reply: All 2024 models will be 992.2?