Sponsored by:

All 2024 models will be 992.2?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2023, 06:43 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by antsy
No. There are plenty of folks with 2024 MY cars being built (maybe even delivered at this point, but I doubt it) that are not 992.2. As best as I can tell 2024 MY cars started being built sometime in the last few weeks.
Correct.
Old 07-02-2023, 08:23 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 964 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by porschewiseguy
Would not do anything, obviously. But my question still remains unanswered. What does the dealership get out of purposely giving me a false timeline if they have no intention of delivering. And why take the $1000 on top of that. It a dealer was playing games I would expect them to not take any deposit and not give any kind of timeline. Please advise.
The other thing they do is - perhaps they take you out of the market at other dealers. Some people (I am doing this) want to buy from a specific dealer - they research location, reputation on the internet, if they felt well treated when they went it to ask questions - and set their deposit/order there. Some people don't care where they buy it, they leave deposits/demand orders all over the place, and play the field.
The following users liked this post:
Icegrill (07-03-2023)
Old 07-03-2023, 06:09 AM
tomshop
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What I don’t understand is why Porsche doesn’t allocate or build more cars for US? In other markets they are fairly easy to get. Clearly they could build more cars….just look at Tesla which will deliver close to 2mm cars this years from 500K a few years ago. They will still be able to fill orders at MSRP. All this does is enrich the dealers.
Old 07-03-2023, 07:13 AM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 418 Posts

Originally Posted by tomshop
What I don’t understand is why Porsche doesn’t allocate or build more cars for US? In other markets they are fairly easy to get. Clearly they could build more cars….just look at Tesla which will deliver close to 2mm cars this years from 500K a few years ago. They will still be able to fill orders at MSRP. All this does is enrich the dealers.
Dealerships should definitely become nonprofits. Then we could get more cars. Sorry, couldn’t help it. Your post was that funny.
Old 07-03-2023, 09:21 AM
RatherJaded
Rennlist Member

Received 1,657 Likes on 950 Posts

My dealer sources have stated that it is intentional as Porsche is moving up market, more boutique like. Their most recent price increase is an example of that. They are attempting to mimic Ferrari.

Last edited by RatherJaded; 07-03-2023 at 09:22 AM.
Old 07-03-2023, 09:37 AM
ctdubl07
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

I believe there are 3 basic drivers of the price increases none of which are a direct correlation to Porsche trying to mimic another brand:
- cost of build inflation
​​​​​​- consumer demand
- stated intention/need to break 21% per unit margin

On another note, an early poster mentioned seeing pictures of the .2 and not caring for the changes….really? You’re seeing such a dramatic shift in design and sheet metal that the .1 is visually superior?

Last edited by ctdubl07; 07-03-2023 at 09:39 AM.
Old 07-03-2023, 09:39 AM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by ctdubl07
I believe there are 3 basic drivers of the price increases none of which are a direct correlation to Porsche trying to mimic another brand:
- cost of build inflation
​​​​​​- consumer demand
- stated intention/need to break 21% per unit margin

On another note, the OP mentioned seeing pictures of the .2 and not caring for the changes….really? You’re seeing such a dramatic shift in design and sheet metal that the .1 is visually superior?
21% gross or net profit margin? on 911's or cumulative (all models)? where did you get those figures?
Old 07-03-2023, 09:40 AM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,101 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by TUD
My dealer sources have stated that it is intentional as Porsche is moving up market, more boutique like. Their most recent price increase is an example of that. They are attempting to mimic Ferrari.
And Rolex no doubt.

What conflates this a bit is the fact that Porsche now has an IPO. So shareholders are going to want to see ever increasing profits which is typically accomplished with higher volumes, but in Porsche’s case I think the production capacity is more of a factory limitation than anything - the other lever to pull is price increases (to which us 2024 buyer are all too aware of) 😜
RatherJaded (07-03-2023)
Old 07-03-2023, 10:16 AM
RatherJaded
Rennlist Member

Received 1,657 Likes on 950 Posts

Originally Posted by Schn3ll
And Rolex no doubt.

OT, from the main subject, but Rolex related. I have been waiting over four years for a Panda Daytona via our local AD. I finally threw in the towel and purchased one “preowned” with a very recent warranty card. Prices have come down, but they are still inflated, double vs triple.

Last edited by RatherJaded; 07-03-2023 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-03-2023, 10:40 AM
nyca
Drifting

They don't want to expand capacity. I think because they see the looming EV mandates in a few years, when the 911 as we know it today will pretty much vanish, so why would they add plant capacity to produce an ICE powered car? But yes, even though they are selling this car in record numbers, they are losing what could be additional 911 sales - a lot of people just walk away when they hear the lead times and pricing terms. And its not just Porsche, I walked away from a Range Rover Sport purchase a couple of months ago because of similar nonsense - just didn't view the vehicle as "special" enough to continue under the terms, bought a Lexus RX instead - more than enough of a car for everyday use and saved some $$$s. Porsche is going to lose 911 sales because of lack of supply when the new AMG GT coupe starts shipping, that's going to be a 1:1 cross shop for potential 911 buyers.

They sell a lot of 911s in China - actually the best chance the USA has to get more 911s, is for the Chinese economy to blow up.
BobcatRidge (10-15-2023)
Old 07-03-2023, 02:04 PM
ctdubl07
Instructor

Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by tmslc
21% gross or net profit margin? on 911's or cumulative (all models)? where did you get those figures?
Blume has stated this repeatedly over last 3-4 earnings presentations.

https://techcrunch.com/2023/06/29/ho...and-speed/amp/
Old 07-03-2023, 02:18 PM
malba2366
Three Wheelin'

Received 768 Likes on 432 Posts

Originally Posted by TUD
No they’re not. Porsche is going to increase 911 production once the 718 production stops in the factory. The industrial site where the 911 is built is maxed out in capacity, and if Porsche were to build an entirely new factory they would have overcapacity when he market turns downwards.
Old 07-03-2023, 02:38 PM
nyca
Drifting

I really believe that at the 911 price point, the profit margin is much greater than 21%. This is not a car made from exotic materials or specialized castings (carbon fiber, etc), no hand made interiors, etc. And every upgrade is an added cost option - from a basic sunroof to a better radio to folding mirrors, etc. I thought I had read previously that the 911 is the most profitable mass produced car in the world.

Actually I see it now, 47% profit margin, that's what I expected. Seriously, seeing this, it tells you how poor Porsche demand management for this car is when they are allowing many buyers to walk on a $150K+ purchase with a 47% profit margin, because they don't expand capacity to meet demand.

https://www.motoringresearch.com/car...rofitable-car/

Last edited by nyca; 07-03-2023 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-03-2023, 04:27 PM
tomshop
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Patton250
Dealerships should definitely become nonprofits. Then we could get more cars. Sorry, couldn’t help it. Your post was that funny.
How would dealerships become non-profits if they sell more cars at MSRP? Would be more thoughtful on your responses as we should all be on here to be helpful to each other and not make comments like this.
Old 07-03-2023, 04:48 PM
ManOfTheHouse
Track Day

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I’m new to this game. But it seems like Econ / Marketing 101 - When there is a demand for a scarce product, a capitalist seeks to maximize profits by charging what the market will bear. Some factors to consider: Price, timing, availability of desired model, flexibility to substitute desired model, willingness to take existing car with options you wouldn’t order, color, actual allocation for the model your want, willingness to buy what’s here now with hope for future trade, and so on. You can try to maximize every criteria you need, but you’ll probably realize at some point that unicorns don’t exist.

Sure, it’s possible to get the MSRP, but I’d wager you won’t get it soon, and even if you do, it won’t be what you said you really wanted, etc, etc, etc. And each of us has different value weightings on what we must have vs what we can live without.

I’m 74, and due to advanced stage 4 cancer I’m willing to pay an ADM to get the GTS I wanted, and I got an true allocation on the first day I visited my local dealer. Hopefully you don’t have a health situation like mine, so your weighing criteria will be different. But I understand some will be angry and demand the situation needs to be fixed. Frankly I’m very happy to have the choice I have even though it is a compromise financially.

What’s the right price and timing for your dream car this year? What you’re willing to pay!

zunayed (09-20-2023)

Quick Reply: All 2024 models will be 992.2?