Sponsored by:

Accident with new 992

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2023, 03:27 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

My Porsche dealership does not perform bodywork, including painting.

The nearby shop that they use charges waaay more than will be covered by insurance, leaving the owner with thousands of dollars of supplemental charges to use that shop.

For many it is work the added out-of-pocket expense to attain the best possible repair, to approach / attain the factory paint quality. Others are satisfied w/ "good enough".
Old 07-02-2023, 09:12 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,040 Likes on 554 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Been to a reputable body shop lately?

Pre-COVID I slowly backed into a pole with my M4, causing the rear bumper coating/lamination covering the bumper, to crack in a few places. The bumper itself was not deformed, and the overall damage looked very minor. I debated whether not to get it repaired, or pay out of pocket. When I took it in to the authorized BMW repair shop to get an estimate of costs, I was floored…over $4k to fix. The only part to be replaced was the bumper, the rest of the cost was labor and painting. Yikes! So i decided (since it’s a 2016 car) to just live with it. But I could not do that with new car….it would eat me from the inside.
Yikes. Well, approved shops will soak you, but they usually follow rigorous standards.

If the damage is just superficial, I would use an independent shop. The one I use charges about $500 per panel for paint work, which is fine with me since road rash just returns over time. Easier to swallow than $4,000 for something on an older car that is likely to get scared up again.

For a new car I would be more picky, but much will depend on your long-term plans for the car and I try to avoid the insurance companies if the total cost is not out the window. However, the insurance company is already involved in this case and a report is probably already made.

I would get a few estimates and see what the cost will be. At this point it might be a question of a change in insurance rates due to damage. Ask your agent on how this impacts your policy, but I would suspect there is at least $3,000 - $5,000 or more judging by the pictures using a Porsche approved shop.

Which shop you use depends on you. My car is nearly 20 years old, so unless it is a serious accident I would be fine with the $500 respray. Much depends on the shop.

As an example, I had a 1990 C4 that my insurance company wrote off as totaled. A local shop convinced me to save the car, so I bought it back and for a few thousand dollars out of pocket and the insurance payoff I had the car rebuilt. That shop did a full respray (and body work) that was concours quality. The paint was better than factory, which was the only indication anything had happened after the accident. I was fortunate to have found that shop and the right people can work wonders. Your situation is a good bit simpler, so if you trust you independent shop, go for it. Also, if you find a flaw in their work, make them fix it right.

Good luck with the repair. It will all be good in the end.

Last edited by Marv; 07-02-2023 at 09:33 AM.
Old 07-02-2023, 10:04 AM
CodyBigdog
Race Car

Received 2,228 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
Yikes. Well, approved shops will soak you, but they usually follow rigorous standards.

If the damage is just superficial, I would use an independent shop. The one I use charges about $500 per panel for paint work, which is fine with me since road rash just returns over time. Easier to swallow than $4,000 for something on an older car that is likely to get scared up again.

For a new car I would be more picky, but much will depend on your long-term plans for the car and I try to avoid the insurance companies if the total cost is not out the window. However, the insurance company is already involved in this case and a report is probably already made.

I would get a few estimates and see what the cost will be. At this point it might be a question of a change in insurance rates due to damage. Ask your agent on how this impacts your policy, but I would suspect there is at least $3,000 - $5,000 or more judging by the pictures using a Porsche approved shop.

Which shop you use depends on you. My car is nearly 20 years old, so unless it is a serious accident I would be fine with the $500 respray. Much depends on the shop.

As an example, I had a 1990 C4 that my insurance company wrote off as totaled. A local shop convinced me to save the car, so I bought it back and for a few thousand dollars out of pocket and the insurance payoff I had the car rebuilt. That shop did a full respray (and body work) that was concours quality. The paint was better than factory, which was the only indication anything had happened after the accident. I was fortunate to have found that shop and the right people can work wonders. Your situation is a good bit simpler, so if you trust you independent shop, go for it. Also, if you find a flaw in their work, make them fix it right.

Good luck with the repair. It will all be good in the end.
This was a while ago, so all done. As was explained to me, by the repair shop Forman, , , my bumper, as are many today, has a laminated/covering shell over the underlying bumper material. The bumper itself was not deformed, but the force of backing into a pole, even slowly, was enough to slightly push the bumper in enough to crack this lamination….so the entire bumper needed to be replaced….if I “wanted the repair done right”. Body filler, sanding and repainting would not have held up…or so I was told. That was the main reason why if was so expensive.
Old 07-02-2023, 10:37 AM
JonHunt
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Keep your photos

The Carfax report is going to be a red flag to buyers even though it is minor and repaired by a reputable shop. I had a very minor scrape on a 997 and you would have thought it was a major crash based on comments from prospective buyers. Your photos may help convince potential buyers it really wasn't that bad.
Old 07-03-2023, 07:44 AM
Marcha
Instructor

Received 327 Likes on 116 Posts

If that were me I’d ring your sales contact at the dealer and ask who they use for their official authorized body repairs. If they want to know why you’re asking just tell them you’ve got a small scratch caused at home that you want to have looked at. Take it to the authorized repairer and just pay for it yourself. Small bumps are much better kept under the radar and paid for yourself but still dealt with by the authorized repairer. Only my opinion of how I’d handle it.

Quick Reply: Accident with new 992