Noob Seeking Guidance on Ordering Process for Custom Build C4s

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2023, 11:21 AM
porschewiseguy
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Noob Seeking Guidance on Ordering Process for Custom Build C4s

Hi everyone,

As the title states, I am looking for help in the process of ordering a new 911 Carrera 4S. I am in the Tri State Area and have reached out to a couple dealers to express interest in a new build. One dealer was straight forward and said to come in to put down a $1000 deposit to get on the "list." Once an allocation is secured they would let me know at which point I would have to put 10% down to proceed. The whole thing could take a year +/-. This would be at MSRP. Another dealer is not taking any deposits, and pricing would be above MSRP with similar timeline. I am of course leaning towards the dealer asking MSRP. I am ok to put down the $1K deposit. Is this the typical process in your experience? Anything I should be asking/looking for when putting down the deposit? After putting down the deposit is it just wait and hope for the best? Anything I can do to move up on the list or know exactly what my position in the queue/status is? Appreciate any thoughts here. Thank you
Old 06-21-2023, 11:44 AM
Go Bruins
Rennlist Member

Received 573 Likes on 256 Posts

Welcome to the club (hopefully)! You need to be proactive and flexible. That means not just putting a deposit down at the dealer(s) of your choice, but looking far and wide to see if you can snag an allocation (what you call "custom build"). And flexibility means that you need to widen your search parameters from a C4S. That's a relatively rare 911 (search the 992 thread to see the number of each variant typically produced in a year). You need to determine how important that engine and drivetrain are to you. If that's all you will take, then be prepared to wait -- certainly months and perhaps years. Some of us (me included) got lucky and nabbed an allocation within a few months. Others have been on multiple waiting lists without much luck. I have found this 992 forum to be indispensable. Without it, I would not be in my Targa.

The following 2 users liked this post by Go Bruins:
Tedster (06-21-2023), Yojeffo (06-21-2023)
Old 06-21-2023, 11:50 AM
tmslc
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 184 Posts

welcome to the **** show of ordering a new porsche 911!

some dealers out there are amazing and you will meet some of the nicest and most passionate people about all things Porsche. other dealers will take you for a ride and say it will be 12, 18, 24 months won't ever call or follow up. but i suspect either dealer it will be at least 12-18 months for a new build allocation.

you are in a good area with some great Porsche dealers. there are several Porsche dealer franchises out there that will not charge an ADM to the pricing of a new car but these dealers typically have a long wait list. others, as noted above, will play games with you to get the most money out of you and typically will have the same wait list time. regardless, once you find a dealer you want to work with you need to get to know the SA and keep in touch. make sure you express your interest.

you have to understand, Porsche 911 are some of the most sought after cars on the market. there are guys out there with 5, 6, 7, 12, or several hundred cars out there so you are in the same market with them.

alternatively ... if you are ok with a low mileage newer car (e.g. 2021 or 2022) that many times dealers will CPO the car so you get the remaining four year warranty plus the CPO two. that is what i did ... i found a 2022 Base 992 with 2000 miles last year that was owned for six months, babied and i have an awesome car warrantied until mid-2028. i paid sticker on the 992 and the dealer gave me a great trade price on a 2013 911 4S (which i hated) so it wasn't a bad deal! that is an option for you as well.

finally, you should reconsider the 4S thing. i know i know what happens when it snows? you put snow tires on it and you will get around just fine, i promise. i live in the mountains and the 4S was awesome when it came to traction in the snow but sometimes you want to drive a Porsche like they should be and there is no substitute for RWD ... especially the new 992 platform.

again, there are some great Porsche dealers out there and they some Porsche dealers out there that are total pieces of ****. just remember there is always a way and finding the right Porsche for you will take time, especially if you are going to order new.

have fun and welcome!
The following 2 users liked this post by tmslc:
Icegrill (08-30-2023), Tedster (06-21-2023)
Old 06-21-2023, 12:02 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,364 Likes on 1,531 Posts

The best way to get a new Porsche sooner is go to all the local dealers in your area and tell the Sales Advisor that you are looking for "X", but will consider something similar, and are ready to buy - call you first. Then, be flexible. New cars come in all the time that were ordered and people's situations change over time, then they don't want them or can't close on them.. The dealership will put it out the SA's that one is available and whomever gets there first with the cash gets the car. Just like buying a new Rolex watch. Then once you have your contacts made, stay in touch - the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

f you have a specific option list and model, you might not get on the call list. I get calls all the time from my guy (I bought three Porsches from him) and nothing grabs me, so I pass. This happens more than you might think. If you want a specific build, then you will have to order and be patient, from the dealer of your choice. Porsche also does NOT build evenly. Spring/Summer 2023 they are focused on getting GTS models off the line, the wait is longer for base Carrera and Carrera S. Why? They job up their outside supplier to build components for a particular series and pump those all out before moving to other ones. Spoiler, front bumpers, wheels, etc., are not common throughout all the models.
The following users liked this post:
BED997 (06-21-2023)
Old 06-21-2023, 12:16 PM
fantom557
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by porschewiseguy
Hi everyone,

As the title states, I am looking for help in the process of ordering a new 911 Carrera 4S. I am in the Tri State Area and have reached out to a couple dealers to express interest in a new build. One dealer was straight forward and said to come in to put down a $1000 deposit to get on the "list." Once an allocation is secured they would let me know at which point I would have to put 10% down to proceed. The whole thing could take a year +/-. This would be at MSRP. Another dealer is not taking any deposits, and pricing would be above MSRP with similar timeline. I am of course leaning towards the dealer asking MSRP. I am ok to put down the $1K deposit. Is this the typical process in your experience? Anything I should be asking/looking for when putting down the deposit? After putting down the deposit is it just wait and hope for the best? Anything I can do to move up on the list or know exactly what my position in the queue/status is? Appreciate any thoughts here. Thank you
If you want PM me and will tell you what i know about all the dealers in the area. I have dealt with a few of them.
Old 06-21-2023, 06:11 PM
porschewiseguy
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Dealer 2 came back today saying there is an ADM of close to $26K, but he has an allocation and car would be delivered Dec/Jan. $26K seems very high.. I don't mind waiting up to a year and not paying any mark up. Dealer 1 is at MSRP and is taking a $1K deposit. I feel that since they are taking the deposit, that they will genuinely put me on a list and eventually get me the car. Would you guys agree?
Old 06-21-2023, 06:23 PM
drcollie
Rennlist Member

Received 4,364 Likes on 1,531 Posts

26K ADM is ridiculous for a base Carrera. When the market levels in a few years, the depreciation on that car will equal that of a Range Rover or 7 series BMW. I would do the $ 1k deposit car, and by the time you get it most likely it will be a 992.2 and you will be far better off from a retained value standpoint in four or five years.
The following 2 users liked this post by drcollie:
alin2 (06-21-2023), porschewiseguy (06-21-2023)
Old 06-21-2023, 07:37 PM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 410 Likes on 184 Posts

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Dealer 2 came back today saying there is an ADM of close to $26K, but he has an allocation and car would be delivered Dec/Jan. $26K seems very high.. I don't mind waiting up to a year and not paying any mark up. Dealer 1 is at MSRP and is taking a $1K deposit. I feel that since they are taking the deposit, that they will genuinely put me on a list and eventually get me the car. Would you guys agree?
This is what I did, and I got a call in 2 months instead of the year I was expecting. People drop off the list, or defer an allocation because there's a hold on certain options they consider must have, or they got on multiple lists and got a car somewhere else so they don't want their spot anymore. So I recommend going with Dealer 1, since there's a decent chance you'll get the car a lot sooner than you think, and at a much better price from a much more consumer-friendly dealer.
The following 2 users liked this post by Just J:
alin2 (06-21-2023), porschewiseguy (06-21-2023)
Old 06-21-2023, 10:38 PM
Stoney901
Instructor

Received 163 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by drcollie
26K ADM is ridiculous for a base Carrera. When the market levels in a few years, the depreciation on that car will equal that of a Range Rover or 7 series BMW. I would do the $ 1k deposit car, and by the time you get it most likely it will be a 992.2 and you will be far better off from a retained value standpoint in four or five years.
IMO, that ADM is ridiculous on any non GT 911. With the 992, I do not see the base depreciation any worse than other flavors , except maybe the targa.

Last edited by Stoney901; 06-22-2023 at 08:18 AM.
Old 06-22-2023, 06:43 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,329 Likes on 1,427 Posts

Pay the grand deposit and build your C4S 75-100x while waiting for your allocation and BE PATIENT, it will come, eventually. You may want to ask your SA which car model has less deposits on it, an S or a 4S but having just gotten a T, I'd suggest looking at that car. The AWD 911's are not available with the larger gas tank.
Icegrill (06-23-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 07:26 PM
PMAA
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 45 Posts

Just a heads-up....

I too was promised an MSRP allocation by the GM. So I waited and waited...then when the allocation finally came through the dealer decided to practiced a little extortion ..."10K ADM or the next guy gets the allocation".
And I had, what I thought was a significant history/relationship with this dealer (purchased four previous 911's and a Macan over the span of 10 years)...
Old 06-22-2023, 07:41 PM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Received 690 Likes on 325 Posts

My advice is based on my recent experience. Every dealer is different.

Put down your $1k and give your dealer a build code. Get signed up with the MyPorsche website using the same contact info you give the dealer. The build should show up under your account after the dealer has put in the demand order. I signed up out of boredom 2 months after putting down my deposit and the build was there. This is how you know the dealer actually put in for your build and you're not just on "the list". Check in quarterly with your dealer as that is when they get allocations. I went to a couple dealer events while waiting just to let them know i was still interested. would chat with my SA. About a week after an event i received an allocation. All told it took 9-10 months to get the build slot.
Scott P (06-22-2023)
Old 06-22-2023, 07:47 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,329 Likes on 1,427 Posts

^ 16 months from ordering to allocation for me.
Old 06-23-2023, 09:43 AM
JM_Rennlist
Intermediate

Received 109 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by dudeoverthere
My advice is based on my recent experience. Every dealer is different.

Put down your $1k and give your dealer a build code. Get signed up with the MyPorsche website using the same contact info you give the dealer. The build should show up under your account after the dealer has put in the demand order. I signed up out of boredom 2 months after putting down my deposit and the build was there. This is how you know the dealer actually put in for your build and you're not just on "the list". Check in quarterly with your dealer as that is when they get allocations. I went to a couple dealer events while waiting just to let them know i was still interested. would chat with my SA. About a week after an event i received an allocation. All told it took 9-10 months to get the build slot.
Not to jump on board with the OP, but I'm in a similar position and have been calling around all my 'local' dealers within a 250 mile radius, literally NO ONE will put in the demand code for my order. I started looking for a targa allocation, but then quickly realized that'll never happen, so I moved onto attempting to get an allocation for a T. It's hard to even know if you're on a wait list in these places. I spoke with one dealer who said if I put my name down in a lot of places Porsche corporate would flag it and remove it, conflicting messaging being passed around is confusing. This same dealer also mentioned since I was 'out of their market' they'd need to 'cover' themselves in the eventuality that they allowed an allocation to me. How am I supposed to know 'who is in their sales region'? Again, apologies OP, didn't mean to jump on, but similar boat, and didn't want to start ANOTHER thread on allocations...good luck for anyone out there trying to get an allocation.
Old 06-23-2023, 09:57 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 759 Likes on 330 Posts

A less than 26K over you can buy an impeccable CPO car and have it today . Regarding your initial question if you have not bought a car at my dealership they will, turn you away . They even have to turn away local repeat buyers because they simply have no cars . They have plenty of other models (like Base Macan ) but the 911 is a big deal.
I just hope the dealership taking your 1K at MSRP isn't just pulling your leg and deposit farming .

I bought my car new , paid MSRP and got the first slot at my dealership . I am a repeat buyer for 25+ years . Even given all of that if I were doing this today I would look at CPO cars. There are just too many available that cuts out the ridiculousness of the wait . Markups have softened. You likely will pay a small markup on. aCPO car but you cut out so much drama .
detansinn (06-23-2023)

Quick Reply: Noob Seeking Guidance on Ordering Process for Custom Build C4s