992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob Seeking Guidance on Ordering Process for Custom Build C4s

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2023 | 11:20 AM
DrB477
Advanced

There's not a ton of consistency between dealers in how they do things.

As another data point, at the dealer where I service my 997 and bought a Macan in 2018, it was about 8 months from when I asked about getting an allocation and was put on "the list" for a 4S cab, 4gts cab, or maybe a (non S) turbo cab to when I was actually given one. TBH I wasn't entirely sure if the list was a real thing or just lip service. I didn't really follow up but would say hi the few times I was in for 911 or Macan service. I had been initially told 3-4 years so was obviously a lot less. Dealer claims they only had two suitable allocations this year (or maybe it was first two quarters of this year?) and I was getting one of them, how true that is I am not sure. No deposit for the list but $3k when order was placed. Was told no ADM initially but later told I need to buy a porsche design watch to get the car which start out at about $5k. Car is now built and on a boat, delivery expected mid July. So about 15m from initial inquiry to delivery.

For me, if I'm spending $150k+ on a 911, its going to be made to my specifications but I can understand why others would value the getting it now aspect instead.
Old 06-23-2023 | 04:19 PM
porschewiseguy
Banned

Dealer 1 is asking for $1K, but not taking the build/order demand at this point. I have seen others saying to make sure to get an order demand or something. Is it a problem they don't provide that? Am I basically wasting my time?
Old 06-23-2023 | 05:30 PM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JM_Rennlist
Not to jump on board with the OP, but I'm in a similar position and have been calling around all my 'local' dealers within a 250 mile radius, literally NO ONE will put in the demand code for my order. I started looking for a targa allocation, but then quickly realized that'll never happen, so I moved onto attempting to get an allocation for a T. It's hard to even know if you're on a wait list in these places. I spoke with one dealer who said if I put my name down in a lot of places Porsche corporate would flag it and remove it, conflicting messaging being passed around is confusing. This same dealer also mentioned since I was 'out of their market' they'd need to 'cover' themselves in the eventuality that they allowed an allocation to me. How am I supposed to know 'who is in their sales region'? Again, apologies OP, didn't mean to jump on, but similar boat, and didn't want to start ANOTHER thread on allocations...good luck for anyone out there trying to get an allocation.
i've heard from a porsche SA on reddit that they will flag multiple orders at different dealerships from the same buyer. so you should pick one and stick with them.

the dealer i bought from was selling all over the country and had no problems. they are a large dealer that does lots of events. i stopped at an out of state dealer and they said local market only because they get penalized. also claimed to sell only to repeat buyers. i think he just thought i was kicking tires. this was in '21.
Old 06-23-2023 | 05:39 PM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by porschewiseguy
Dealer 1 is asking for $1K, but not taking the build/order demand at this point. I have seen others saying to make sure to get an order demand or something. Is it a problem they don't provide that? Am I basically wasting my time?
probably not. i didn't put down a deposit at a second dealer and just asked to be on their "call back list". he called with an allocation while my car was on the boat. same dealer calls a buddy of mine whenever they have something. he does have a GT3 trade and put down a small deposit. I had no prior relationship with that dealership nor the one i actually bought from. it's really hard to know becuase some folks will say you need to have bought X cars to even get a base allocation. not true in my case. though one dealer did say i was out of territory.
Old 06-23-2023 | 06:42 PM
MontBlanc911
Pro

Yep be flexible on your trim. I queued up for a 4gts coupe, ended up getting a targa 4gts!
Old 06-26-2023 | 09:19 PM
Dimitar Atanasov
Advanced

Originally Posted by porschewiseguy
Hi everyone,

As the title states, I am looking for help in the process of ordering a new 911 Carrera 4S. I am in the Tri State Area and have reached out to a couple dealers to express interest in a new build. One dealer was straight forward and said to come in to put down a $1000 deposit to get on the "list." Once an allocation is secured they would let me know at which point I would have to put 10% down to proceed. The whole thing could take a year +/-. This would be at MSRP. Another dealer is not taking any deposits, and pricing would be above MSRP with similar timeline. I am of course leaning towards the dealer asking MSRP. I am ok to put down the $1K deposit. Is this the typical process in your experience? Anything I should be asking/looking for when putting down the deposit? After putting down the deposit is it just wait and hope for the best? Anything I can do to move up on the list or know exactly what my position in the queue/status is? Appreciate any thoughts here. Thank you
I have a ‘20 C4S manual at $10k below MSRP. You can drive one now, and wait patiently for an allocation @ MSRP 👍
Old 07-01-2023 | 08:51 PM
bwhale
Advanced

Originally Posted by dudeoverthere
My advice is based on my recent experience. Every dealer is different.

Put down your $1k and give your dealer a build code. Get signed up with the MyPorsche website using the same contact info you give the dealer. The build should show up under your account after the dealer has put in the demand order. I signed up out of boredom 2 months after putting down my deposit and the build was there. This is how you know the dealer actually put in for your build and you're not just on "the list". Check in quarterly with your dealer as that is when they get allocations. I went to a couple dealer events while waiting just to let them know i was still interested. would chat with my SA. About a week after an event i received an allocation. All told it took 9-10 months to get the build slot.
If you have a deposit with a dealer, are waiting for an allocation and they claim to have uploaded your build order into the Porsche system, does the order show up in myporsche automatically using your contact email address? To be clear, I'm not asking about an allocated car going through the production process. I'm asking about a situation where I have given a P-code to the dealer, the dealer accepted a deposit and claimed to upload the build requested into a Porsche system, and I'm now still waiting for an allocation.

In myporsche, I see my current cars, but nothing regarding my build order.
Old 07-31-2023 | 04:24 AM
GermanAutos
1st Gear

Default Order trials

After waiting a year on two MSRP lists for a GTS (one with deposit, one without), I started branching out within 500 miles and found dealers with allocations in hand, but not for a GTS and all with ADM. Considering I already have a convertible (Boxster S), I only want a coupe and settled on a base Carrera with a ADM of $5k in June. Delivery scheduled for Nov 2023 and I can still make changes for a few more weeks to the order/config. I got my refund from one dealer that had a deposit and am staying on a list for a MSRP GTS which that dealer states it will be another 12 months. I figure I can sell/trade my Carrera if that day every comes. I basically spec’s it the same as the GTS I want, but less power and 2w/d (in the GTS I want AWD).

Quick Reply: Noob Seeking Guidance on Ordering Process for Custom Build C4s