Sponsored by:

Outdoor Car Cover Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2023, 05:40 PM
highedu
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Outdoor Car Cover Recommendations

Have a shark blue carrera on order (expecting September delivery) and will use it as a daily. Likely it will be kept outside so wanted to see if anybody has recommendations in an outdoor car cover?

in reading I hear breathable, water resistant, UV, dust proof are all things to look for. I live in northern Cali so not too worried about now, just dirt, sun, and rain.

if anybody has thoughts or car cover recommendations would love to hear it
Old 06-17-2023, 05:50 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

My infrequently used Macan is vacuumed, washed, dried and covered after each usage.

When required the cover is also hand washed on the vehicle and permitted to dry on the vehicle. Usually the cover is just wiped clean of dust w/ a damp towel.

The vehicle looks showroom clean / shiny each time the cover is removed for vehicle usage.

Old 06-17-2023, 05:54 PM
Stebbo
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Porsche OEM cover all day long

I have a none aero for sale if your interested, happy to post

Last edited by Stebbo; 06-17-2023 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-17-2023, 11:52 PM
parkway
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 33 Posts

Car covers outside will damage your paint when the wind starts banging it against the surface, especially if you aren't washing and drying it each time before you put on the cover.
Old 06-18-2023, 08:51 AM
mksz51
Pro

Received 746 Likes on 285 Posts

If you really want to preserve your paint you won't cover it. Drive the car - dust on car - cover - wind blows - abrasion happens. Unavoidable. Anybody who says otherwise is delusional / not picky / has a silver car / doesn't care / all of the above.
Old 06-18-2023, 09:00 AM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 436 Posts

If you are deadset on getting a cover, then get a breathable one and a high quality one.

Since this is outside, there are a few more factors to consider such as wind (mentioned above), the elements, and perhaps other outdoor 'furniture' bumping in to the cover/car.

Last edited by PHX; 06-18-2023 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-18-2023, 11:21 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Bump

I to will be looking for an outdoor cover to leave at Vacation home. I have covered parking but not enclosed privately
Old 06-18-2023, 02:34 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by wingless
Welcome to the forum.

My infrequently used Macan is vacuumed, washed, dried and covered after each usage.

When required the cover is also hand washed on the vehicle and permitted to dry on the vehicle. Usually the cover is just wiped clean of dust w/ a damp towel.

The vehicle looks showroom clean / shiny each time the cover is removed for vehicle usage.

My clean / dry / covered vehicle is parked 24/7/365 outside at my southern Florida home, under a decent illuminated car port.

A clean vehicle parked outside in this area will collect infrequent random tiny mustard colored spots, that wash off w/ reasonable effort. These are either pollution or plant based, I don't know. Not an issue when the vehicle is covered.

There is also the seasonal daily torrential downpours, that still gets the cover wet under the car port because of the super strong wind. A quick wipe of the cover w/ a cotton towel speeds the drying process. The uncovered vehicle still looks amazing, clean, w/o water spots.

IMO, the BIGGEST benefit in southern states is protection from the severe UV exposure. Even though much / most of the UV is indirect, it still has severe effects.

An example is SUPER evident on the custom bright red embroidery. After only nine months the red on the exterior has faded to a very pale color, while the interior still has full intensity. This tells me that the cover is SUPER effective at helping to prevent UV degradation.

FWIW, I have disabled the automatic mirror folding when locking the vehicle because I prefer how the cover fits w/ the mirrors in normal orientation. The image provided by Stebbo shows the cover w/ folded vehicle mirrors.

Quick Reply: Outdoor Car Cover Recommendations