time for an oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2023, 09:43 PM
Nein Eleven
Racer

Received 282 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by VarTheVar
let's all go gather that data for you
Sounds good. Let's plan to review that next month.
Old 06-18-2023, 09:49 AM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by JayCrash450
Here’s the analysis from my first change. The car is a ‘23 992 gts changed just over 2,500miles. I will sample every change here on out, this history will be part of the car.

The primary reason for testing oil is because it helps identify wear metals and other things over time. It is not just one sample that might tell you everything about what is going on internally. The tracking various metals, elements, oil base stock, coolant, fuel, etc tells a lot about the health of the engine and how things are wearing. I also make habit of cutting open my filters. Oil analysis will also allow you to determine if the base stock oil is still good allowing for longer maintenance intervals or worn out.

Regarding oil change frequency thats something one has to settle for themselves. I’m happy with my routines for the various toys I have, ranging from dirt bikes to classic trucks, boats, etc. I’m likely anticipating I’ll change the oil on the 992 every 3,500-4,000 miles or so, no more than 5,000 for sure. Probably a bit excessive but it will make me feel better and THE best times I have in the garage is taking my time turning a wrench on the 911.
That seems so totally OCD to me.
In fifty years of driving I've never had an engine fail, let alone because of oil, including vehicles I've sold with well over 100,000 miles, including my Carrera 3.2 with 140,000 miles on it.
You get your oil tested, and it seems to be normal, so there's nothing to do about it.
If you get it tested, and it were to be showing some slight signs of something, but there are no symptoms in the operation of the vehicle, what are you going to do about it?
It just seems like a silly expense that can only add to ownership anxiety.
I don't think if you were selling the vehicle that you could convince a buyer to reimburse you for the cost of all those oil analyses over the years.
I fully expect our 992 to last fifteen years at least, which will be long enough for us.
Old 06-18-2023, 11:08 AM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Received 630 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by garthg
In fifty years of driving I've never had an engine fail, let alone because of oil, including vehicles I've sold with well over 100,000 miles, including my Carrera 3.2 with 140,000 miles on it.
You get your oil tested, and it seems to be normal, so there's nothing to do about it.
If you get it tested, and it were to be showing some slight signs of something, but there are no symptoms in the operation of the vehicle, what are you going to do about it?
I don't think if you were selling the vehicle that you could convince a buyer to reimburse you for the cost of all those oil analyses over the years.
I fully expect our 992 to last fifteen years at least, which will be long enough for us.

I know this was not addressed to me, but I have some opinions. The point is not to save your engine from catastrophically failing or to recoup the cost when you sell the vehicle. I'm certainly not doing it for the next owner. The point is just to know how your engine is progressing through its life and to know when the correct time to change your oil is, rather than using a blanket recommendation. That's it. The vehicle's computer can only estimate based on limited parameters it has. If you want to be more accurate you can test it. If you don't want to then that's fine.

I know I'm repeating myself. From my experience, I've found that the manufacturer recommendation was not adequate for certain cars and it was totally fine for others . I don't test my oil with every oil change. I just do it strategically to find out if oil is breaking down earlier or not. I've run Amsoil and Motul in my cars for over 10,000 miles. When the manufacturer recommendation was only 5000. The oil was still perfectly fine to use. And also, again, I've never seen a turbocharged engine be kind to oil.

And again folks, if you don't care, then don't do it. No big deal.

Last edited by VarTheVar; 06-18-2023 at 11:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
JayCrash450 (06-20-2023)
Old 06-20-2023, 01:43 PM
JayCrash450
8th Gear

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by garthg

I’m not interested in trying to recoup any costs from sampling. It’s cheap anyways $35 per sample, maybe 2 samples per year. Although I absolutely have no intention of ever selling this car (it was built on my birthday), I guess one can never say never.
One thing is for sure. If I sell the car, it will make it much easier to sell against a car that doesn’t have such a service history. The oil samples, and provenance that the car will carry will speak for itself. It won’t make it more valuable but will more easily bring a buyer in, that’s worth something in and of itself. But again, don’t particular care about the cost.

Frankly, I was hoping to avoid going down the oil change interval discussion bc everyone has their own opinions. I’ve made mine, I’m happy about it. Now, if a sample does reveal a potential issue that is when you address it, it would be foolish to continue driving if things seem normal but oil is saying something else. For example, I have a Chevy 502 in my boat. Oil samples were beginning to show more and more iron in the sample. Boat ran great and strong, nothing to indicate an Issue at all. Through the analysis and cutting the filters open, it quickly became apparent something was seriously wrong. So the diagnosis begins. Conducting a leak down, scoping the bore, looking at the plugs, everything seemed normal. But something obviously was not right. So I continued. Pulled the valve covers, still good. Hmm. Went further and popped the intake. Bingo! A roller lifter was riding on the cam and grinding metal. It was really bad and started to happen to a few other lobes. I could have kept running it until one of those rollers or needle bearings dropped and started having fun with the connecting rods and crank but that $35 analysis saved me thousands in a crank, rods and possibly a block if parts of the rotating assembly decided to deconstruct. Again, wasn’t doing it for the money anyways. Was doing it bc it tells me the health of the engine over time AND I ENJOY IT, it is a hobby for me.

Eventually the oil sample will tell me how often to change the oil in the 992. The 2,500 mile change was to get the break in fluid out. I will still probably stick to my schedule (of about 4,000 miles) bc it is fun, regardless if the sampling says I can go longer. I enjoy turning wrenches, it’s what I have always done, nothing OCD about it for me. These toys certainly don’t bring me any anxiety. If changing oil frequently and sampling brings you stress then don’t do it. Take it to the dealer and have them do it per Porsche intervals and specs and your car will be fine I’m sure. And if that’s helps with ones anxiety then one has found the schedule and process that works for them.
Old 06-20-2023, 02:05 PM
CapitanoAR
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

If anyone is interested in what you can find after first 1000km on a new 992/ 2023

I am oldschool and I feel comfortable to change it after few days on every brand new car

up to you to decide. I just thought I share this

Last edited by CapitanoAR; 06-21-2023 at 05:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
VarTheVar (06-20-2023)

Quick Reply: time for an oil change?