Sponsored by:

Nick Murray on the T: Less is More

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2023 | 07:36 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wilder

There are a number of cars, mostly American muscle, that have far more HP than a base 911 and are far, far cheaper and I don't see anyone here cross shopping them with any Carrera. I have a GT3. I've been tracking for 20 years, I live a 30min drive from empty canyon roads and the police are non existent (Mexico!) and I can't use more than 400HP on the street/canyons. In fact, 350HP would suffice.

When people voice their "need" for 500HP, all I hear is they don't know how to wring out the power out of a 200HP car, never mind 500HP or more.
Well, now you're moving the goal posts.

I thought the discussion was limited to within the 911 range, otherwise the discussion is really a non sequitur.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023 | 07:36 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Same as above, where are you using all of your 911s power that is not the track? In third you're doing 110mph. In fourth you're doing 150mph. You still have three gears to go. Where in the US are you achieving these speeds with frequency? Unless at the track, you're most definitely not using all the power of an S. Maybe even a base. But you're absolutely right. Power is not the end all. Fun is, and despite most people's misconceptions, fun and power are not always correlated.
Me? Well, I did an epic 4k mile cross country adventure on the pandemic "autobahn". With the experience, I don't have to speculate what a 992 is like on the German autobahn -- it's no hypothetical to me, because I got to cruise at silly speeds for hours and hours. Even post pandemic, there are a number of states with 85MPH speed limits and flow of traffic well north of that. So, if speed is your thing, yeah, you can use it, even in post-pandemic.

That being said, the real advantage of the S/GTS isn't just felt at the top of the rev range. You feel it everywhere, because it makes so much more torque off of the bottom. You don't have to be going fast to feel the grunt. Suggesting and saying that you can't use that power on public roads just isn't true. You can experience it even if you're never north of the speed limit.

Last edited by detansinn; 06-02-2023 at 07:46 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by detansinn:
aggie57 (06-02-2023), jhenson29 (06-02-2023), johny221 (06-03-2023), reddsektor (06-02-2023), shrimp money (06-02-2023), Staffie Guy (06-03-2023), TimD (06-04-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-02-2023 | 07:37 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Please tell us about this magical place where you can redline, I'll make this easy, on 3rd because the roads are so perfect, the traffic non existent, and the cops absent? I'd love to move there. If you buy a dual purpose car that you plan to track regularly, I understand. But if you're buying a car that will be max'd out on back roads and your not a professional driver, anyone claiming that 350-400HP is not enough is fooling themselves. That or perhaps if you're a stop light racer, but you sound like you're at least in your 30s. I'd love for someone to correct me but there is no highway in the US where you can dp 150+ MPH and not either put someone at risk or go to jail.

Same as above, where are you using all of your 911s power that is not the track? In third you're doing 110mph. In fourth you're doing 150mph. You still have three gears to go. Where in the US are you achieving these speeds with frequency? Unless at the track, you're most definitely not using all the power of an S. Maybe even a base. But you're absolutely right. Power is not the end all. Fun is, and despite most people's misconceptions, fun and power are not always correlated.

There are a number of cars, mostly American muscle, that have far more HP than a base 911 and are far, far cheaper and I don't see anyone here cross shopping them with any Carrera. I have a GT3. I've been tracking for 20 years, I live a 30min drive from empty canyon roads and the police are non existent (Mexico!) and I can't use more than 400HP on the street/canyons. In fact, 350HP would suffice.

When people voice their "need" for 500HP, all I hear is they don't know how to wring out the power out of a 200HP car, never mind 500HP or more.
I need 500hp but I actually track my cars..... On the street, a base Carrera is hard to find a better value proposition....
The following 2 users liked this post by flsupraguy:
HerrDr (06-02-2023), Wilder (06-04-2023)
Old 06-02-2023 | 08:24 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
Well, now you're moving the goal posts.

I thought the discussion was limited to within the 911 range, otherwise the discussion is really a non sequitur.
Ok. Let's keep it Carrera. There's a poll I"m sure you've seen asking how much people spend on options. Most spend between $15-45k. That wide range more than allows for a stripper S to be cheaper than a loaded T, and having spent considerable time on the T thread, I can tell you there are plenty of Ts being spec'd with $40k in options. So, yeah, many people are choosing a T over an S. Not the most accurate measure, but certainly the closest.

Originally Posted by detansinn
Me? Well, I did an epic 4k mile cross country adventure on the pandemic "autobahn". With the experience, I don't have to speculate what a 992 is like on the German autobahn -- it's no hypothetical to me, because I got to cruise at silly speeds for hours and hours. Even post pandemic, there are a number of states with 85MPH speed limits and flow of traffic well north of that. So, if speed is your thing, yeah, you can use it, even in post-pandemic.

That being said, the real advantage of the S/GTS isn't just felt at the top of the rev range. You feel it everywhere, because it makes so much more torque off of the bottom. You don't have to be going fast to feel the grunt. Suggesting and saying that you can't use that power on public roads just isn't true. You can experience it even if you're never north of the speed limit.
And that's the point: It depends where you live. If you use the Autobahn frequently, sure. I not only live 30 mins from canyon roads, I also have a great stretch of road between where I live and the next town where I've done top speed in my 450HP Macan. I almost ran out of road and don't think I can use the power of an S on a consistent enough basis for it to make sense for me. Having lived most of my life in Canada and the US, I don't see where you can do that without putting people at risk or going to jail. Here in Mexico, I do it all the time and if I get stopped once per year, it's too frequent. And I stop because I'm decent. because I can outrun them and they don't have the communication systems or the manpower to do a high speed chase. I do quite enjoy that about living here. Point is, despite my situation, I still don't believe I'll use more than the power of the T.

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
I need 500hp but I actually track my cars..... On the street, a base Carrera is hard to find a better value proposition....
Exactly.
HerrDr (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023 | 08:42 PM
shelbyking
Banned

I really enjoy Nick Murray's videos.
The following 7 users liked this post by shelbyking:
AlterZgo (06-03-2023), doug_999 (06-03-2023), HerrDr (06-02-2023), mwjackson92 (09-07-2024), SamD (06-04-2023), sonicworld (06-03-2023), Tupper (06-02-2023) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-02-2023 | 09:06 PM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

And that's the point: It depends where you live. If you use the Autobahn frequently, sure. I not only live 30 mins from canyon roads, I also have a great stretch of road between where I live and the next town where I've done top speed in my 450HP Macan. I almost ran out of road and don't think I can use the power of an S on a consistent enough basis for it to make sense for me. Having lived most of my life in Canada and the US, I don't see where you can do that without putting people at risk or going to jail.
I feel like you’re still missing something though.

I mean, there’s really two things.

One, you do not have to be going top speed to use all of the HP. HP is relative to engine RPM. You can use all of the HP in first gear.

But two, as others have stated, you can use the higher torque at a much wider (basically all drivable) RPM range. So, you’re using more HP for a given rpm, regardless of whether or not you’re using the peak.

So, to keep talking about not using the extra HP or focusing on high speeds is too narrow IMO for both reasons stated above.

But at the end of the day, everyone can like different cars for different reasons. Manual and Cab were requirements for me. So, my options were really just S or GTS.
The following 3 users liked this post by jhenson29:
alin2 (06-02-2023), detansinn (06-02-2023), reddsektor (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023 | 09:36 PM
reddsektor
Pro

Smh when “experts” think high hp/tq is only about top end speed…
The following 4 users liked this post by reddsektor:
jonbek (06-03-2023), Just J (06-03-2023), shrimp money (06-02-2023), Throttle Lift (06-03-2023)
Old 06-02-2023 | 09:45 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

@jhenson29 I get the argument. You're right that everyone is different. Smashing the gas pedal takes zero sill and gets boring very fast. None of the Porsche people I know drive that way, but I guess others do. Perhaps experts that know more than I.
Old 06-02-2023 | 09:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Please tell us about this magical place where you can redline, I'll make this easy, on 3rd because the roads are so perfect, the traffic non existent, and the cops absent? I'd love to move there. If you buy a dual purpose car that you plan to track regularly, I understand. But if you're buying a car that will be max'd out on back roads and your not a professional driver, anyone claiming that 350-400HP is not enough is fooling themselves. That or perhaps if you're a stop light racer, but you sound like you're at least in your 30s. I'd love for someone to correct me but there is no highway in the US where you can dp 150+ MPH and not either put someone at risk or go to jail.

I floor my car all the time on normal roads where the speed limit is 45-50. Try the paddles if you want to redline. In first/second gear you don’t need to be going that fast. Try it out, it’s extremely possible and great to hear the engine singS You don’t need to be going 193mph to redline. The car has many gears ya know?
detansinn (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023 | 09:54 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Ok. Let's keep it Carrera. There's a poll I"m sure you've seen asking how much people spend on options. Most spend between $15-45k. That wide range more than allows for a stripper S to be cheaper than a loaded T, and having spent considerable time on the T thread, I can tell you there are plenty of Ts being spec'd with $40k in options. So, yeah, many people are choosing a T over an S. Not the most accurate measure, but certainly the closest.
Again, you're moving the goal post.

Lots of people might prefer a heavily loaded T at 160k over a stripper S at 125k. And that preference would ostensibly have nothing to do with HP between two trims.

They might want a sunroof, leather interior, PCCBs (assuming availability), etc., which a stripper S would not have.

Again, you'd have to compare similar cars with the only difference between HP, or lack thereof.

Question is, assuming all else being equal, would people actually pay more for a similarly equipped 911 with less HP.

I don't know the answer to that -- certainly not as a matter of fact.

I have my guesses, but those are just guesses.
The following 3 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
detansinn (06-02-2023), shrimp money (06-02-2023), VarTheVar (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023 | 10:08 PM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
m
Question is, assuming all else being equal, would people actually pay more for a similarly equipped 911 with less HP.
But remember all of the people clamoring to detune their S/GTS?

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1293...ra-engine.html

All of the cool kids are doing it.
detansinn (06-02-2023)
Old 06-02-2023 | 10:16 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Not the most accurate measure, but certainly the closest.
@ipse dixit I think you missed this.

I have no idea what you mean by moving the goal post. You wondered something for which nobody, including perhaps Porsche, has answer to because it doesn't exist. I provided some reference points to illustrate that there is no absolute correlation between $ and HP, though at first glance it can seem that way. Take it or leave it. It's all I've got.
Old 06-02-2023 | 10:31 PM
jpgallo
Intermediate

Not to further confuse the issue, but if you want more power, you can tune the T to S levels of hp and torque for about $2.5k...a very cheap upgrade if you find it lacking.
Old 06-02-2023 | 10:42 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jpgallo
Not to further confuse the issue, but if you want more power, you can tune the T to S levels of hp and torque for about $2.5k...a very cheap upgrade if you find it lacking.
1. Warranty voided
2. If you look at a dyno chart of a tuned Base with stock turbos, it’s not going to look like an S or GTS dyno chart. You won’t be making the same kind of power.

The price delta for an S is indeed worth it if power is your thing.
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
AlterZgo (06-03-2023), Fullyield (06-03-2023)
Old 06-02-2023 | 10:49 PM
Dream in PTS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jlegelis
but I wouldn't trade my sleeper 992 C2S PDK for three T's (but that's just me).
That I believe.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dream in PTS:
carswithnoah (06-09-2023), doug_999 (06-03-2023)

Quick Reply: Nick Murray on the T: Less is More