Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which is a better? Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 or Michelin Pilot Sport 4S?
Goodyears are as good as the Michelins
23.08%
Goodyears are marginally better than Michelins
3.85%
Goodyears are substantially better than Michelins
2.88%
Michelins are marginally better than Goodyears
27.88%
Michelins are substantially better than Goodyears
42.31%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 vs. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2023 | 03:17 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Default Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 vs. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

My 992 T is arriving with the Goodyear Asymmetric 3s. Reviews online place them below the Michelin 4S, which is my preferred tire. However, these ratings are not for the Porsche homologated version and can't fathom Porsche would use different brand tires with significant variance in quality, especially when they co-designed them. The GT3 comes with Michelin Cup2s and with Goodyear Supercar 3s. Many prefer the Supercar 3s over the Cup2s, which have long held the #1 spot for dual purpose track tires. Unfortunately, neither the Supercar nor the Cup2s come in Carrera rim sizes so I either stick with the Asymmetrics or I trade up to the 4Ss. Hoping for feedback from people with direct experience with both and especially those who drive them at the limit. I don't care so much about comfort or noise. I care about performance both in dry and wet as I plan to push them hard and may do a couple of track days per year.

Last edited by Wilder; 05-29-2023 at 03:28 PM.
The following users liked this post:
toph4242 (05-29-2023)
Old 05-29-2023 | 04:07 PM
toph4242
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wilder
My 992 T is arriving with the Goodyear Asymmetric 3s. Reviews online place them below the Michelin 4S, which is my preferred tire. However, these ratings are not for the Porsche homologated version and can't fathom Porsche would use different brand tires with significant variance in quality, especially when they co-designed them. The GT3 comes with Michelin Cup2s and with Goodyear Supercar 3s. Many prefer the Supercar 3s over the Cup2s, which have long held the #1 spot for dual purpose track tires. Unfortunately, neither the Supercar nor the Cup2s come in Carrera rim sizes so I either stick with the Asymmetrics or I trade up to the 4Ss. Hoping for feedback from people with direct experience with both and especially those who drive them at the limit. I don't care so much about comfort or noise. I care about performance both in dry and wet as I plan to push them hard and may do a couple of track days per year.
I am very passionate about Tire choice on the 992 gen car (and all porsche cars for that matter)... I have had all variants on my cars (Michelin 4S, Cup2, Goodyear Eagle F1, Asymmetric 3s and the Pirelli).... I will never buy goodyear over Michelin again. I really felt that the Eagle F1 tire that came on my 992 Carrera was a terrible performer in the dry... On track it lost grip, and really brought my confidence level way down. The day I put 4s on I felt significant confidence boost in cornering and acceleration out of corners.
The Cup2 is my preference for serious track focused driving.

The 4S and Cup2 are what I will run on mine.... 4S is what mine comes with, and when they run out of life I will put Cup 2 on. The 992 absolutely cup 2 sizes... I ordered them for my last one, and in the US we have that size. Are they just out of stock currently? Or you couldn't source them? PM me if you need help locating.

Last edited by toph4242; 05-29-2023 at 04:22 PM.
Wilder (05-29-2023)
Old 05-29-2023 | 08:57 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by toph4242
I am very passionate about Tire choice on the 992 gen car (and all porsche cars for that matter)... I have had all variants on my cars (Michelin 4S, Cup2, Goodyear Eagle F1, Asymmetric 3s and the Pirelli).... I will never buy goodyear over Michelin again. I really felt that the Eagle F1 tire that came on my 992 Carrera was a terrible performer in the dry... On track it lost grip, and really brought my confidence level way down. The day I put 4s on I felt significant confidence boost in cornering and acceleration out of corners.
The Cup2 is my preference for serious track focused driving.

The 4S and Cup2 are what I will run on mine.... 4S is what mine comes with, and when they run out of life I will put Cup 2 on. The 992 absolutely cup 2 sizes... I ordered them for my last one, and in the US we have that size. Are they just out of stock currently? Or you couldn't source them? PM me if you need help locating.
Thanks for sharing your experience. You're absolutely right. Cup2s are available. I've sent a message to my tire guy to clarify. Maybe he was searching for Cup2 and not Cup2 Connect?I was hoping the Goodyears might be equal to or just marginally worse than the 4Ss but everything points to the fact that I ought to swap them out for the Michelins.

Last edited by Wilder; 05-29-2023 at 11:30 PM.
Old 05-29-2023 | 10:12 PM
2thHappy
Rennlist Member

Do owners have a choice, or is it, you get what you get?
Old 05-29-2023 | 10:15 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2thHappy
Do owners have a choice, or is it, you get what you get?
You get what you get.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wilder:
Moosedoc (06-02-2023), Scott P (05-31-2023)
Old 05-30-2023 | 12:30 AM
Orca911
Rennlist Member

I have had both. On the street id run what you get.
on the track the GY were not my favorite.
but if it were me I'd just run them until they wear out. My guess is you get 3 track days out of them.
The following 2 users liked this post by Orca911:
detansinn (05-30-2023), Wilder (05-30-2023)
Old 05-30-2023 | 12:43 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Orca911
I have had both. On the street id run what you get.
on the track the GY were not my favorite.
but if it were me I'd just run them until they wear out. My guess is you get 3 track days out of them.
I was thinking of taking them off before driving it out of the dealer and selling them for $1,500 then paying the difference for 4Ss. I really don't want to be stuck with ****ty tires for 15k mi. I don't plan to track this car more than once or twice. Tires can make or break your driving experience.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wilder:
Just J (05-30-2023), pro1200 (05-30-2023)
Old 05-30-2023 | 08:09 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The Goodyear's are fine.
Your mention of "the wet", immediately knocks the Cup 2s out of consideration for your street driving. Yes, I know that someone will respond with "they're not that bad" and/or "I didn't die", but they're just not made for inclement weather.

Considering that you're planning to drive the car on the street with only a couple of track days per year, I'd stick with the Goodyear tires for now and get acclimated to the car when it arrives. If the track bug bites you hard, get another set of wheels for track-oriented rubber, ie Cup 2s or even something else.
TimD (08-15-2023)
Old 05-30-2023 | 08:22 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by detansinn
The Goodyear's are fine.
Your mention of "the wet", immediately knocks the Cup 2s out of consideration for your street driving. Yes, I know that someone will respond with "they're not that bad" and/or "I didn't die", but they're just not made for inclement weather.

Considering that you're planning to drive the car on the street with only a couple of track days per year, I'd stick with the Goodyear tires for now and get acclimated to the car when it arrives. If the track bug bites you hard, get another set of wheels for track-oriented rubber, ie Cup 2s or even something else.
I have a GT3 for track and have experience with both 4S and Cup2s. The T will be literally for early morning canyon drives and roadtrips. I did consider Cup2s because I feel they'll help me enjoy the car more for its intended use. However, I have decided to go with 4Ss because I don't want to get caught in rain on a road trip and have to adjust my driving because of it. I also don't want the harsher ride that comes with them. I will track it once or twice to get a feel for the car but it won't replace the GT3 anytime soon. My issue with the Goodyears is that I don't want to leave any joy that I get from driving the car on the table. If they don't provide feedback, if they slip easier, if they're not going to perform in the rain as well, I think I'm better off trading them in. The 15k they'll last are too many miles not to enjoy the car to the fullest. I went' to the trouble of creating this post because I really do want to like them but everything I read signals that I probably won't.
pro1200 (05-30-2023)
Old 05-30-2023 | 09:06 AM
toph4242
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by detansinn
The Goodyear's are fine.

I agree with you on Cup2 and the wet... they arent built for that. Drivable, but not fun. @Wilder I do think you are on the right track with selling the brand new set of Goodyear before you even drive them though. the Michelin 4S is absolutely the tire you are looking for based on what you describe. You could of course keep the Goodyear on and be fine, but I have a feeling you want to get the best experience out of the T and possibly keep it long term if it is everything you are hoping it will be... The goodyears will detract from that confidence and positive experience just enough, whereas the Michelin 4S you will never question if its negatively impacting the driving experience... At least thats how I felt after putting about 8K miles on the Goodyears and then another multiple 10's of thousands of miles on my Michelin tires (across different cars)
Wilder (05-30-2023)
Old 05-30-2023 | 09:15 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

@toph4242 with tires being such an important part of the driving experience, I am surprised Porsche co-developed a tire that appears to be so disliked. Apparently the Goodyear Supercar 3s are amazing and drivers I respect are trading in their Cup2s for track use, so it's not the brand. Corsas aren't bad either. Good range in the GT cars but but the P-Zero and Asymmetric 3s on Carreras? Let down.
toph4242 (05-30-2023)
Old 05-30-2023 | 09:33 AM
toph4242
Rennlist Member

@toph4242 with tires being such an important part of the driving experience, I am surprised Porsche co-developed a tire that appears to be so disliked. Apparently the Goodyear Supercar 3s are amazing and drivers I respect are trading in their Cup2s for track use, so it's not the brand. Corsas aren't bad either. Good range in the GT cars but but the P-Zero and Asymmetric 3s on Carreras? Let down.
@Wilder It is very disappointing, I agree. It is a sponsorship deal, and all related to larger "partnership" deal... so it doesn't boil down to simply that tire and that car, but a larger supplier partnership agreement for certain things. Pirelli is the official sponsor for all of the Porsche Track Experience programs and a number of the race teams... So part of their deal was being an official tire of the 911 lineup. Same thing goes for Goodyear.. They have rights to one of the racing leagues and again got to submit a 911 specific tire as part of the deal... Michelin has been an official tire partner of Porsche for decades, and no surprise, customers love this "All purpose" tire the best for Street/Track double duty... I agree that the Cup2 could be improved on for anything beyond DRY TRACK driving... its not good in rain, so I think people find some of the others a little more forgiving... The 4S was really built with the precision road feel in mind... The professional team drivers that teach at the Porsche Masters and Masters RS classes down in Alabama were crapping on the Pirelli tires when I was there for my last track school, and blamed it on this "brand partnership" that the two companies penned about 2 years ago... they said Pirelli agreed to supply endless tires to these track experience programs at the best price and Porsche jumped at the opportunity
Wilder (05-30-2023)
Old 05-30-2023 | 09:37 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by toph4242
@Wilder It is very disappointing, I agree. It is a sponsorship deal, and all related to larger "partnership" deal... so it doesn't boil down to simply that tire and that car, but a larger supplier partnership agreement for certain things. Pirelli is the official sponsor for all of the Porsche Track Experience programs and a number of the race teams... So part of their deal was being an official tire of the 911 lineup. Same thing goes for Goodyear.. They have rights to one of the racing leagues and again got to submit a 911 specific tire as part of the deal... Michelin has been an official tire partner of Porsche for decades, and no surprise, customers love this "All purpose" tire the best for Street/Track double duty... I agree that the Cup2 could be improved on for anything beyond DRY TRACK driving... its not good in rain, so I think people find some of the others a little more forgiving... The 4S was really built with the precision road feel in mind... The professional team drivers that teach at the Porsche Masters and Masters RS classes down in Alabama were crapping on the Pirelli tires when I was there for my last track school, and blamed it on this "brand partnership" that the two companies penned about 2 years ago... they said Pirelli agreed to supply endless tires to these track experience programs at the best price and Porsche jumped at the opportunity
Compromises everywhere in life. It is what it is. There's a reason we referred to it as the "tire lottery" in the T thread. Lol. Clearly I lost.
toph4242 (05-30-2023)
Old 05-30-2023 | 12:14 PM
babyghost
Intermediate

The GT3s have Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersport R from factory, not the Supercar 3(one can hope they make one for our cars). If you want the best road tire, 4S will be the one to have. Just be sure to get the Porsche N spec, NA0 for Carrera and N0 for GT3.

Last edited by babyghost; 05-30-2023 at 12:18 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by babyghost:
toph4242 (05-30-2023), Wilder (05-30-2023)
Old 05-30-2023 | 12:21 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by babyghost
The GT3s have Goodyear Eagle F1 Supersport R from factory, not the Supercar 3(one can hope they make one for our cars). If you want the best road tire, 4S will be the one to have. Just be sure to get the Porsche N spec, NA1 for Carrera and N0 for GT3.
Ha! You're right. Thanks for the heads up. I'd be happy to try the Supercar 3 over the 4S but they don't have them in Carrera size or N spec. Going with 4S. Thanks!
toph4242 (05-30-2023)

Quick Reply: Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 3 vs. Michelin Pilot Sport 4S