Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Any regrets about your order?
No regrets at all. Happy with all my choices!
36.36%
Yes I regret …
30.30%
No regrets, but would have considered …
33.33%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

992 T order regrets or considerations

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2023, 02:27 PM
stiff///M
Racer

Received 501 Likes on 196 Posts

Only thing I regret at this point is not getting the Burmester. I thought $5k for the upgraded stereo was ridiculous and still do, but the base stereo is way worse than expected and I really don't feel like screwing with upgrading it. Phone calls is all it's good for as others mentioned. The 3 things I really wanted when the T was released that weren't available were Bose, buckets and PCCB. Those still are the biggest things I wish I could have but oh well.
The following 3 users liked this post by stiff///M:
Macboy (05-24-2023), rokkerkory (05-24-2023), Wilder (05-23-2023)
Old 05-23-2023, 02:41 PM
blackairforce1
Instructor

Received 211 Likes on 48 Posts

Pay a little extra for yellow stitching because slate grey is too subtle.
Old 05-23-2023, 02:45 PM
Dream in PTS
Burning Brakes

Received 1,050 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by VarTheVar
I went back and forth so many times about the RAS. Ultimately I left it out for 3 reasons.

1- you can't turn it off
2- I don't like feeling computer systems at work while I drive.
3- I read about the speed ranges at which it works. It will not point the nose of the car in past 31mph which makes it pretty useless to me.
From 0-31mph it points the nose in (who cares about this speed range. To me this tells me it's mostly for parking lots and u turns, and maybe incredibly tight hairpins)
From 31-51mph it does nothing
From 51mph+ it crab walks
I wanted it most for alleviating understeer and ultimately I don't want to be stuck with it
I did not even consider RAS. I’m not interested in paying more money for additional weight (and in the wrong place) and additional driving assistance.
Old 05-23-2023, 02:50 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 838 Likes on 416 Posts

I went back and forth so many times about the RAS. Ultimately I left it out for 3 reasons.

1- you can't turn it off
2- I don't like feeling computer systems at work while I drive.
3- I read about the speed ranges at which it works. It will not point the nose of the car in past 31mph which makes it pretty useless to me.
From 0-31mph it points the nose in (who cares about this speed range. To me this tells me it's mostly for parking lots and u turns, and maybe incredibly tight hairpins)
From 31-51mph it does nothing
From 51mph+ it crab walks
I wanted it most for alleviating understeer and ultimately I don't want to be stuck with it
1. You don't need to turn it off.
2. It doesn't feel like a computer system. Although, that argument is kind of moot since the entire car is computer driven.
3. Not sure what you're saying here but if you drive the car at all then it's useful.
Crab walk is a stretch. It has a very slight steer in the rear. I think you are simplifying it to accommodate your opinion. No offense (seriously), but you should drive them back to back on track or some twisty roads. Most people won't ever tell unless they really push the car. For me RAS is not a must, but a nice feature to have. Driven both and it definitely doesn't feel computerized, etc. Everyone tries to justify their purchase one way or another, but in the end you need to 'know' yourself, not guess.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ikone:
rasetsu (05-23-2023), S S (05-23-2023)
Old 05-23-2023, 02:52 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by stiff///M
Only thing I regret at this point is not getting the Burmester. I thought $5k for the upgraded stereo was ridiculous and still do, but the base stereo is way worse than expected and I really don't feel like screwing with upgrading it. Phone calls is all it's good for as others mentioned. The 3 things I really wanted when the T was released that weren't available were Bose, buckets and PCCB. Those still are the biggest things I wish I could have but oh well.
I ordered Burmester on my GTS. Made many comments on why, but the anti-Burmester crowd was louder.
In the end you have to know yourself. Research and listening in person is key.
Old 05-23-2023, 03:03 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Received 768 Likes on 355 Posts

1. You don't need to turn it off.
2. It doesn't feel like a computer system. Although, that argument is kind of moot since the entire car is computer driven.
3. Not sure what you're saying here but if you drive the car at all then it's useful.
Crab walk is a stretch. It has a very slight steer in the rear. I think you are simplifying it to accommodate your opinion. No offense (seriously), but you should drive them back to back on track or some twisty roads. Most people won't ever tell unless they really push the car. For me RAS is not a must, but a nice feature to have. Driven both and it definitely doesn't feel computerized, etc. Everyone tries to justify their purchase one way or another, but in the end you need to 'know' yourself, not guess.
I have driven 2 cars with it. A Turbo S and a GT2RS. Both cars felt way beyond anything analog and although they are very capable it's not the driving experience I'm after. Not that I could afford those cars anyway. But I do have experience with RAS cars. I don't really feel like arguing with your opinions because they don't make any sense but I have driven cars with it. Most people are not in tune enough with their cars to feel the difference. Maybe that's why you don't care

Last edited by VarTheVar; 05-23-2023 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-23-2023, 03:19 PM
gobie18
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car is now being built, but if I had the chance I would get the cooled seats which will include full leather seats. What does everyone else think about the full leather seats vs the sport tech?
Old 05-23-2023, 03:21 PM
VarTheVar
Rennlist Member

Received 768 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by stiff///M

Do you know of anyone that's upgraded the base stereo? Everything thread/video see is for the Bose
Old 05-23-2023, 03:58 PM
stiff///M
Racer

Received 501 Likes on 196 Posts

Do you know of anyone that's upgraded the base stereo? Everything thread/video see is for the Bose
Not yet. I think someone is working to find a base stereo on the west coast to work on something. With all the base stereo's I'm guessing it won't be long before someone has some options.
The following users liked this post:
VarTheVar (05-23-2023)
Old 05-23-2023, 05:16 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

I have driven 2 cars with it. A Turbo S and a GT2RS. Both cars felt way beyond anything analog and although they are very capable it's not the driving experience I'm after. Not that I could afford those cars anyway. But I do have experience with RAS cars. I don't really feel like arguing with your opinions because they don't make any sense but I have driven cars with it. Most people are not in tune enough with their cars to feel the difference. Maybe that's why you don't care
You don't feel like arguing but felt the need to respond and then state things I didn't claim or say. Sorry, I do feel a difference and I do care. What part of that did you not get? Read!
Turbo S and GT2RS is a great comparison of RAS to a 992T with no RAS. lol. SMH. That's exactly what I'm talking about. You made my point.
Old 05-23-2023, 05:28 PM
cgaites
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 103 Posts

Hi all,

I’m still a couple of weeks away from my build locking, and am curious if anyone regrets getting (or not getting) any of the assistance systems? I never envisioned speccing them, but my SA is strongly suggesting Lane Change Assist and Surround View. I can sort of see his point on the Lane Change Assist, but then again 911s have such good visibility. Think I will pass on Surround View.

Anyone have a strong opinion on where either system is worth the cost?
The following 2 users liked this post by cgaites:
RatherJaded (06-06-2023), toph4242 (05-23-2023)
Old 05-23-2023, 05:31 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cgaites
Hi all,

I’m still a couple of weeks away from my build locking, and am curious if anyone regrets getting (or not getting) any of the assistance systems? I never envisioned speccing them, but my SA is strongly suggesting Lane Change Assist and Surround View. I can sort of see his point on the Lane Change Assist, but then again 911s have such good visibility. Think I will pass on Surround View.

I ordered the other way around. No LCA but Surround View. Everything I've read states LCA is horrible. I don't like it on our A5 or RS3. I'm not sure you need it for adaptive cruise control, but that would be the only reason I could see getting it (if you use that).
Old 05-23-2023, 06:22 PM
meyecul
Pro

Received 381 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Ikone
I ordered the other way around. No LCA but Surround View. Everything I've read states LCA is horrible. I don't like it on our A5 or RS3. I'm not sure you need it for adaptive cruise control, but that would be the only reason I could see getting it (if you use that).
You are likely confusing LCA (Lane Change Assist) with LKA (Lane Keep Assist). LCA is great and should be standard on every car by law. This is the light indicators in the side view mirrors letting you know there is a vehicle approaching on either side of you and can be very helpful even if just for a second defense before or after turning your head to view. LKA, however is what usually gets criticized and for good reason, it's annoying for most and most shut it off and never turn it back on. Had it on my 2017 Audi Q7 and even though it worked well, I would never order it again.

On my 992, I have surround view and LCA, the surround view is excellent and if you do any tight fit parking in a garage or otherwise, it's worth the price over and over.
The following 5 users liked this post by meyecul:
jtsrenn (05-23-2023), rasetsu (05-23-2023), RatherJaded (06-06-2023), TimD (05-24-2023), txpackers (05-24-2023)
Old 05-23-2023, 09:03 PM
shehatezme
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 43 Posts

Anyone regret not getting sport design or aerokit?
The following users liked this post:
toph4242 (05-23-2023)
Old 05-23-2023, 09:37 PM
toph4242
Rennlist Member

Received 2,570 Likes on 870 Posts

Originally Posted by cgaites
Hi all,

I actually think he got both of those suggestions right... Not sure if you intend on taking car on the track at all, but the LCA system is super helpful when dealing with track passing. I have had it save me a couple times when I didnt see a car coming out of a corner behind me... its also just a feature that should be included for free because it makes the highway safer for everyone.

As for Surround View... I think this is well worth it too. If your car does not have front axle lift, you will be surprised how often you second guess yourself on parking curbs and on other low obstacles. The front camera stays on at speeds up to 10mph and shows very clearly when something might hit the bumper... i also find the TOP DOWN view and 360 degree camera to be very helpful when trying to pull into parking garages and parking spots that are tight. Makes it really easy to position the car exactly where you want it

Quick Reply: 992 T order regrets or considerations