Sponsored by:

Dealer Joy Ride

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2023, 07:21 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by moomin
I’m taking a guess the Tech didn’t see my dashcam because it’s slightly out of line of sight.

If get nowhere with the dealer on Monday I’ll update this thread with the YouTube vid for all to see. It’s a very popular Porsche Dealership with plenty of GT3 owners who choose to use it. Btw my car is a manual, and he redlined it in 1st and 2nd gear, while cold.
Since it is a MT, you might want to check your overrevs in the ECU. If he registered an overrev, it may effect resale and strengthens your complaint.
The following users liked this post:
porsche.earth (05-14-2023)
Old 05-14-2023, 08:19 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

Upload the video to YouTube as unlisted and share the link here. I have to say that I am skeptical — taking it redline in the first two gears? Is that based on sound or does your dashcam show RPM? Let’s see the video.

As for “afford it”, most SA’s certainly can. Most of the techs that I know have garages full of interesting cars. Heck, one of them that I was chatting with had a Ferrari. Being a Porsche tech is a good gig. If you’re the kind of person that walks around thinking that other people can’t afford your 992, get over yourself.

If you can’t trust a tech to drive your car, how can you trust them to work on it?
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
dixonk (05-14-2023), jhenson29 (05-14-2023)
Old 05-14-2023, 08:37 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
Upload the video to YouTube as unlisted and share the link here. I have to say that I am skeptical — taking it redline in the first two gears? Is that based on sound or does your dashcam show RPM? Let’s see the video.

As for “afford it”, most SA’s certainly can. Most of the techs that I know have garages full of interesting cars. Heck, one of them that I was chatting with had a Ferrari. Being a Porsche tech is a good gig. If you’re the kind of person that walks around thinking that other people can’t afford your 992, get over yourself.

If you can’t trust a tech to drive your car, how can you trust them to work on it?
Some service advisor making $200k cant afford a new 992 unless hes an idiot. A tech...not a chance. A 996 or something, yea no big deal.
Old 05-14-2023, 08:44 AM
Vicbastige
Burning Brakes

Received 737 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Some service advisor making $200k cant afford a new 992 unless hes an idiot. A tech...not a chance. A 996 or something, yea no big deal.
Null hypothesis. What if they wisely invested some money and hit it big? What if they inherited? what if their partner makes $200K too and also enjoys the car?

You know what they say about assumptions...
The following 2 users liked this post by Vicbastige:
detansinn (05-14-2023), gcurnew (05-14-2023)
Old 05-14-2023, 09:58 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 816 Posts

2 things:

1. If you drive to the dealer to service, you’ve warmed up the engine. So if somebody takes your car for a joyride, even if the engine has been off for an hour or so, it’s still not going to be a cold engine.

2. Why on earth would somebody do this at a Porsche dealer, when they are probably servicing 911’s all of the time? I kind of figure that the novelty will long ago have worn off for these service techs?
detansinn (05-14-2023)
Old 05-14-2023, 10:26 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

Originally Posted by Tupper
2. Why on earth would somebody do this at a Porsche dealer, when they are probably servicing 911’s all of the time? I kind of figure that the novelty will long ago have worn off for these service techs?
This 100%.
I'm calling BS until a video is posted.
Old 05-14-2023, 10:57 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,451 Likes on 755 Posts

I would take the Video in and sit with the Service Manager and the Tech., in question, to review the Video. I would stress to his Manager you want this to be a learning experience. I would hate to cause some one to lose their living.

I would then ask to have the engine checked to make sure there were no over revs generated and I would want to be present for the test.

I would then ask to have my next (2) Services taken care of.
Old 05-14-2023, 11:07 AM
SamD
Racer

Received 299 Likes on 141 Posts

Something else to consider, would you want to return to a service shop where they know you complained about one of their own?
detansinn (05-14-2023)
Old 05-14-2023, 11:41 AM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 98 Posts

IMO, this should not extend beyond a dealership discussion. It has already gone far enough (too far).
Old 05-14-2023, 09:26 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by Vicbastige
Null hypothesis. What if they wisely invested some money and hit it big? What if they inherited? what if their partner makes $200K too and also enjoys the car?

You know what they say about assumptions...
Sure, same goes for the mcdonalds cashier but, in general, nobody in the service department, save for maybe the service manager, can afford a new 992. There will be outliers and they will not be the ones to go beat on a customer car because they know where their bread is buttered.
Old 05-14-2023, 11:26 PM
moomin
Instructor

Received 183 Likes on 74 Posts

2 things:

1. If you drive to the dealer to service, you’ve warmed up the engine. So if somebody takes your car for a joyride, even if the engine has been off for an hour or so, it’s still not going to be a cold engine.
I dropped the car off at 10am, the oil change was done at 3pm, so pretty sure it was cold. He ran the car for 2 minutes before gunning it.

As for ppl calling bs and asking for yeh YT video. I have it uploaded and I’m sending it to the manager tomorrow. I feel like the right thing to do is to let the dealership try and fix the situation before naming and shaming them.

Finally, I’m not angry about someone driving my car hard. It’s made for that. I’m angry about it being leaned on cold and in a reckless manor, 82 in a 30 is dangerous.
The following 9 users liked this post by moomin:
ash_schwin (05-15-2023), Bodibedo (05-15-2023), BondJ (05-15-2023), cwbrown (05-16-2023), Drew46 (05-15-2023), Icegrill (05-15-2023), minn19 (05-15-2023), Schwarz992C4S (05-15-2023), Tupper (05-15-2023) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-15-2023, 09:28 AM
Tupper
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,600 Likes on 816 Posts

^ That's why I always hang out at the dealership whenever I get an oil change. I never drop it off and leave.

In ensures that the job gets done more timely (customer is sitting and waiting), and less likely they will engage in shenanigans knowing that the customer is sitting in the service waiting room.

Plus my Porsche (and now my R8) have/had loud exhausts. So any backroad shenanigans by the service tech will get a lot of attention
Old 05-15-2023, 10:49 AM
Quikag
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 93 Posts

82 in a 30? Post the Youtube video and also send the video to the local police.

Last edited by Quikag; 05-15-2023 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-15-2023, 01:26 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,800 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
You can tell that we all live amazing lives to stress over stuff like this b/c, in the grand scheme of things, this is literally a tiny drop of water in a bucket. I’d try not to get upset over this b/c I value my sanity and calmness over seeking justice for trivial things. I put this in the same category as someone cutting me off in traffic. No harm, no foul and the more I’m mad about this the longer the perp is living in my head.

I’d tell the service manager so they can’t make sure their techs don’t rag on the cars when cold but I wouldn’t want to get the dude fired. He made a mistake and he will learn from it. Trying to take away his livelihood is too vindictive IMO.
On Saturday I went to pick up my son from a test he had to take. Last second before walking out the door I decided to take the 992 over my SUV. As I got off the highway and came up to a light at the end of the ramp, 2 lanes wide, I was in the left lane a two "homeless but not really" young women were "washing" windshields, the "service for a handout". They each had a water bottle with some soap or spit in it and a squeegee most likely stolen from a gas station. They were walking from car to car cleaning windows. I politely waved the one off in my lane not to clean my windshield and she moved on. The one in the other lane was careless with her squeegee as she moved from car to car and next thing I knew I heard the thing bang against my passenger quarter panel right in front of the rear tire. I was furious at the little C. I was screaming in my car. She had a momentary oops/horrified look but ultimately was too stupid to really care, and given her station in life, enough said. As I drove off I was ticked off beyond belief that some reckless little idiot could do that, ruining my day and damaging my car. When I arrived to get my son I got out and sure enough found a small scratch on the body just above the stone guard. It is not the first minor minor blemish on the car. It has 9k+ miles and I drive it hard. Luckily any front end damage has been absorbed by the PPF not the paint, but there is a very minor scratch in my spoiler from something hitting it while it was up at speed. At least I don't have any curb rash.

I decided to let my anger go and realize that there was nothing I could do. Getting worked up over it would not solve anything other than put me in a bad mood. Why should I let this ruin my weekend.
The following 3 users liked this post by 3rdpedal:
alin2 (05-15-2023), detansinn (05-15-2023), Icegrill (05-15-2023)
Old 05-15-2023, 01:41 PM
ATXGuy
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts

^ That's why I always hang out at the dealership whenever I get an oil change. I never drop it off and leave.

In ensures that the job gets done more timely (customer is sitting and waiting), and less likely they will engage in shenanigans knowing that the customer is sitting in the service waiting room.

Plus my Porsche (and now my R8) have/had loud exhausts. So any backroad shenanigans by the service tech will get a lot of attention
I have an R8. The car at idle reverbs through the building. It is actually very useful in tracking the car around the dealership without staring at it.

@OP what is the fix for this? Refund the cost of service? Fire the tech? I am usually at a loss for things like this that are wrong but have not manifested in an issue.
The following 2 users liked this post by ATXGuy:
adrianp89 (05-15-2023), Tupper (05-15-2023)

Quick Reply: Dealer Joy Ride