Sponsored by:

GTS 7MT - Cost Advantage?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2023, 01:19 AM
Jacon
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by alin2
I don't understand the venom some have for the PDK. It's an amazing transmission and PDK 911s are incredible cars that can certainly still provide significant driver involvement while being a perfect daily driver in traffic.

And, this is coming from someone that is specifically purchasing the 992 given the availability of the manual gearbox after having a PDK 997 TT-S and a DSG R8 V10+.

People have different reasons for picking PDK vs MT, and they're all valid IMO based on one's expectations and desires. I hope all in this thread enjoy the heck out of their PDK or MT 992.

Having driven both, I simply cannot stand the sequential nature of an auto or PDK.

I want to be able to go 1->3->7 if I desire, or visa versa when downshifting.
Old 05-07-2023, 01:59 AM
dontbeslow
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Appreciate all the feedback. Really didn't want this to become a MT/PDK argument. Was just curious if one got something extra on the GTS for choosing the 7MT, as the S trim gives you the Sport Chrono and it seems the answer is not. $2750 bonus of something for taking the 7MT on the S (Sport Chrono), even swap on the GTS.

Drove a PDK and realized it's much nicer than a regular sporty automatic (such as the ZF 8-speed). My last six cars have all been manuals, while I know it's not faster anymore, there's just something more involved about driving one.

Last edited by dontbeslow; 05-07-2023 at 02:01 AM.
Old 05-07-2023, 12:17 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by dontbeslow
Appreciate all the feedback. Really didn't want this to become a MT/PDK argument. Was just curious if one got something extra on the GTS for choosing the 7MT, as the S trim gives you the Sport Chrono and it seems the answer is not. $2750 bonus of something for taking the 7MT on the S (Sport Chrono), even swap on the GTS.

Drove a PDK and realized it's much nicer than a regular sporty automatic (such as the ZF 8-speed). My last six cars have all been manuals, while I know it's not faster anymore, there's just something more involved about driving one.
Your car and your $. But what YOU want.....not what others want.
Old 05-07-2023, 02:41 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 574 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacon
Having driven both, I simply cannot stand the sequential nature of an auto or PDK.

Agree which is why I'm getting a MT...although I usually don't upshift skipping a gear, but like to downshift at times by going down >=2 gears depending on what gear I'm in...of course being careful to avoid the money shift.

But, to be precise, the PDK can also downshift 2 gears for instance in auto. In fact. it's pretty uncanny accurate in auto in at least sport mode...
The following users liked this post:
Marcha (05-08-2023)
Old 05-11-2023, 10:45 PM
KingMota
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Agree with your observation on manual S vs GTS that nothing is thrown in on GTS with zero price change swap. Narrows price difference between manual S and GTS if you mostly care about the ~440 HP engine and not some of the GTS aesthetics.

Last edited by KingMota; 05-11-2023 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-12-2023, 12:56 PM
dontbeslow
Rennlist Member

I know everyone says to buy what I want, but looking at my budget and thinking about where I get the most value, it's not as black and white:
GTS: Nearly $20k+ MSRP, includes PDK + Sport Chrono (+$3k) + Appearance Packages (+$6k) + slight bump in HP + Premium Wheels (+$3K, whether you take centerlock or not), + interior trim (+1k), + reduced cost premium package (if you were going to spec it, +$1.5k) probably a few more things i'm forgetting. $700 penalty if you go GTS and take the non-standard interior, can't figure why they're charing MORE for the interior packages on the GTS vs. S.

If you want a driver focused 7MT car, the S seems like a solid value so long as you don't go way overboard with options that are included in the GTS. Been going back and forth, since the 7MT on the S adds sport chrono and seems like it has everything I need if I don't go nuts with options. The GTS seems like the better fit if one were to spec out the appearance packages, etc. but doesn't give you a "bonus" for choosing 7MT.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything as the T and S spec give you Sport Chrono if you go 7MT, but GTS doesn't seem to add anything extra. Different trims have different appeal for everyone. For me i'm trying to look at the different between a 7MT S build with a few options vs. a stripped GTS build. SPASM is nice, but probably will stick to standard PASM given the state of the roads around me.
Old 05-12-2023, 01:05 PM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Received 402 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by dontbeslow
I know everyone says to buy what I want, but looking at my budget and thinking about where I get the most value, it's not as black and white:
GTS: Nearly $20k+ MSRP, includes PDK + Sport Chrono (+$3k) + Appearance Packages (+$6k) + slight bump in HP + Premium Wheels (+$3K, whether you take centerlock or not), + interior trim (+1k), + reduced cost premium package (if you were going to spec it, +$1.5k) probably a few more things i'm forgetting. $700 penalty if you go GTS and take the non-standard interior, can't figure why they're charing MORE for the interior packages on the GTS vs. S.

If you want a driver focused 7MT car, the S seems like a solid value so long as you don't go way overboard with options that are included in the GTS. Been going back and forth, since the 7MT on the S adds sport chrono and seems like it has everything I need if I don't go nuts with options. The GTS seems like the better fit if one were to spec out the appearance packages, etc. but doesn't give you a "bonus" for choosing 7MT.

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything as the T and S spec give you Sport Chrono if you go 7MT, but GTS doesn't seem to add anything extra. Different trims have different appeal for everyone. For me i'm trying to look at the different between a 7MT S build with a few options vs. a stripped GTS build. SPASM is nice, but probably will stick to standard PASM given the state of the roads around me.
I think the main issue will be can you actually get an allocation for an S? I've heard it's more difficult than a GTS. Personally I prefer the S since I'm not a huge fan of the sport design package (at least not the rear), the power is probably barely noticeable, and I don't think the 992 needs firmer suspension. I also don't love the centre lock and would prefer leather to race tex. But all this tells anyone is that, for me, the GTS packaging is not appealing. My ideal would be a PTS S with the heritage interior, but neither of those options are currently available.

Within reason, I wouldn't worry about the cost. These are expensive cars, and in the scheme of things $5k or even $10k really is less important than getting what you want. And if that $5k is really breaking the bank, then it's probably not a wise decision to be getting a 911.
The following 4 users liked this post by bluelines1974:
Apbc2 (05-14-2023), bobert75 (05-12-2023), catdog2 (05-14-2023), Fullyield (05-12-2023)
Old 05-12-2023, 03:58 PM
dontbeslow
Rennlist Member

A lot depends on how long you're keeping the car. Some people may be buying the car to keep for 10-20 years, while others may jump into a 992.2 or the next model etc. For me, the last car I specced "for myself" and took out custom paint and interior, I ended up selling sooner than I expected. It's a "me" problem, but adding $30k of options to an S, may make less sense vs a GTS with $10-15k of options if one may plan on flipping the car for something else in a few years.
catdog2 (05-14-2023)
Old 05-14-2023, 08:35 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,290 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcha
The car is doing it though, not you. You’re not involved.

There is absolutely no challenge whatsoever in driving a PDK quickly. Any idiot can jump in and do it.
Driving a manual 911 quickly needs concentration and some level of skill. Being a skill, that means I can get better at it with practice. I have the satisfaction of executing perfect gear changes and perfect clutch control and improving at these skills as I get to know the car better and obtaining satisfaction from my improvement and bettering my changes from last time out.
You’re just a passenger in your PDK. No challenge, no skill to improve. It’s 1/2 second faster than me with you as a passenger and the car doing the work with absolutely no credit to you and just to emphasize that point the granny in the plaid wipes the floor with your PDK as she isn’t involved either.
I prefer to drop out of the technology race to be the fastest passenger and just have fun improving my skills in my MT. That’s where the fun’s at.
I guess it is all relative. After over two decades of driving manual cars, the action of shifting gears, heel-and-toe and all, has become so intuitive for me that I do not see it as a particular skill or challenge requiring particular “concentration”. Further, modern MT now imbed so much “automation” such as synchromesh, clutch dampers, rev matching, that they have taken away a lot if the “skill” that was required to properly drive a MT (go drive a straight cut geared non-synchromeshed formula 1600 and you’ll see what I mean).

But I do understand the appeal of having to clutch and row the gears for yourself. It can definitely increase the perception of interaction with car. I definitely appreciate it myself.

Last edited by CanAutM3; 05-14-2023 at 08:48 AM.
catdog2 (05-14-2023)
Old 05-14-2023, 08:45 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,290 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by Jacon

You can with a PDK. A quick double flick of the paddle will have the PDK skip a gear.
Old 05-14-2023, 09:19 AM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 355 Posts

I couldn't deal with back and forth of manual vs. pdk on 992 so got one of each (pdk had spasm, manual has pasm).

As a huge fan of manual and getting involved with driving there are days when I enjoy one more than the other and vice versa. The 8-spd pdk is amazingly good and fun and for multi-purpose use cannot be beat. My only complaint is that with the stupid Braun shaver selector you have to press the M button to go to manual versus flicking the lever left (as in older 991 gen) which is more intuitive.

In all honesty the manual 992 is fine and provides that involvement but is seriously slower and less efficient and clunkier to drive in traffic etc. than PDK and so you would be getting it for the involvement and nostalgia aspect but little else. Like a recent review by Joe Achilles on YouTube I don't find the manual 992 to be magical or greater than the sum of its parts or somehow synergistic, a feeling I get in my 1.2 GT3 touring. The 992 is very modern and shines super bright with the PDK while it just sparkles a little bit with the manual. (Disclaimer my manual C2S has normal not short shifter as in 992T or GTS, not sure that's transformative).

Last edited by catdog2; 05-14-2023 at 09:21 AM.

Quick Reply: GTS 7MT - Cost Advantage?