Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTS 7MT - Cost Advantage?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2023, 02:50 AM
dontbeslow
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Was playing in the configurator and adding a few options on the S (premium package, upgraded wheels, etc) gets you within $10-15k of the GTS before you consider that the GTS includes lots of standard goodies.
Old 05-04-2023, 03:05 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,541 Likes on 5,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcha
Anybody choosing the PDK because it’s “faster” is a deluded idiot.
The 911 is not a fast car. You need to accept that even in your so called faster PDK you will be left for dead by an old lady in a Tesla.
The 911 is about the thrill of the driving experience and that comes with the MT. If you want an auto that’s quick off the line and dusts everything from the lights then you bought the wrong car. Trade your 911 for a Tesla Plaid.
But a 911 PDK is faster than a 911 7MT, ceteris paribus.

And really that's the only comparison that matters in our little fishbowl we call Rennlist, especially this particular thread.
The following users liked this post:
SAlexander (05-08-2023)
Old 05-04-2023, 04:17 AM
Marcha
Instructor

Received 327 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
But a 911 PDK is faster than a 911 7MT, ceteris paribus.

And really that's the only comparison that matters in our little fishbowl we call Rennlist, especially this particular thread.
The car is doing it though, not you. You’re not involved.

There is absolutely no challenge whatsoever in driving a PDK quickly. Any idiot can jump in and do it.
Driving a manual 911 quickly needs concentration and some level of skill. Being a skill, that means I can get better at it with practice. I have the satisfaction of executing perfect gear changes and perfect clutch control and improving at these skills as I get to know the car better and obtaining satisfaction from my improvement and bettering my changes from last time out.
You’re just a passenger in your PDK. No challenge, no skill to improve. It’s 1/2 second faster than me with you as a passenger and the car doing the work with absolutely no credit to you and just to emphasize that point the granny in the plaid wipes the floor with your PDK as she isn’t involved either.
I prefer to drop out of the technology race to be the fastest passenger and just have fun improving my skills in my MT. That’s where the fun’s at.

Last edited by Marcha; 05-04-2023 at 04:26 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Marcha:
catdog2 (05-04-2023), incoming992s (05-07-2023), verstraete (05-05-2023)
Old 05-04-2023, 06:48 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Gee, this thread went downhill fast.
The following 3 users liked this post by aggie57:
jtsrenn (05-04-2023), markenki (05-05-2023), SAlexander (05-08-2023)
Old 05-04-2023, 07:53 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by PCA1983
Probably a cost disadvantage to the manual. Manual clutches wear out and need replacing, whereas the liquid cooled clutches of the PDK do not. Electronic control keeps PDK clutches from overheating. They last the life of the car, unless defective. And the PDK cars are faster.
All true…….except for your cost disadvantage opinion. Depends …as the PDK also has a known weakness in the ZF distance sensor (which we just had a failure in a 992). The failure is catastrophic to the transmission. Repair is $10-25k if not still on a warranty. So, PDK has potential issues too. See PV 997’s excellent thread on this issue.
Old 05-04-2023, 07:59 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by dontbeslow
I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. Was playing in the configurator and adding a few options on the S (premium package, upgraded wheels, etc) gets you within $10-15k of the GTS before you consider that the GTS includes lots of standard goodies.
You are correct. Just depends. The GTS is fabulous IF you want all the options that come with the package. If you have specific, must have, options that are not included in the GTS package (or mandatory options in GTS you just do not want), then maybe consider an S. But, if buyer is OK with all the GTS stuff then I do think it is a better deal.
Old 05-04-2023, 11:52 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,541 Likes on 5,064 Posts

There is absolutely no challenge whatsoever in driving a PDK quickly. Any idiot can jump in and do it.
Driving a manual 911 quickly needs concentration and some level of skill. Being a skill, that means I can get better at it with practice. I have the satisfaction of executing perfect gear changes and perfect clutch control and improving at these skills as I get to know the car better and obtaining satisfaction from my improvement and bettering my changes from last time out.
You’re just a passenger in your PDK. No challenge, no skill to improve. It’s 1/2 second faster than me with you as a passenger and the car doing the work with absolutely no credit to you and just to emphasize that point the granny in the plaid wipes the floor with your PDK as she isn’t involved either.
I prefer to drop out of the technology race to be the fastest passenger and just have fun improving my skills in my MT. That’s where the fun’s at.
I guess your PDK must be different from mine.

As awesome a gearbox as the PDK is, I have yet to see a 911 PDK drive itself,

Would you be so kind to show me how it is done? Is is like Level 4 Self Driving?

Thank you.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
markenki (05-05-2023), SAlexander (05-08-2023)
Old 05-04-2023, 12:43 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 347 Posts

>> I prefer to drop out of the technology race to be the fastest passenger and just have fun improving my skills in my MT. That’s where the fun’s at.
Any modern car is merely a computer with wheels no matter how many options one deletes.

If you really want 'analog' go find a carbureted 'Caterham 7' and a large set of tools to adjust jets/gap/dwell/valve clearance/plug gaps/headbolts/etc for the full 'analog' experience.

Last edited by jlegelis; 05-04-2023 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-04-2023, 02:02 PM
Jacon
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jlegelis
>> I prefer to drop out of the technology race to be the fastest passenger and just have fun improving my skills in my MT. That’s where the fun’s at.
Any modern car is merely a computer with wheels no matter how many options one deletes.

If you really want 'analog' go find a carbureted 'Caterham 7' and a large set of tools to adjust jets/gap/dwell/valve clearance/plug gaps/headbolts/etc for the full 'analog' experience.
you’re describing a difference between analog in the drivers seat vs analog in the garage. Most of us have too much money or not enough time to turn wrenches in the garage anymore. Some of us strike a balance.
Old 05-05-2023, 07:39 PM
markenki
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Anybody choosing the PDK because it’s “faster” is a deluded idiot.
The 911 is not a fast car. You need to accept that even in your so called faster PDK you will be left for dead by an old lady in a Tesla.
The 911 is about the thrill of the driving experience and that comes with the MT. If you want an auto that’s quick off the line and dusts everything from the lights then you bought the wrong car. Trade your 911 for a Tesla Plaid.
This is silly. Of course, the 911 is a fast car. Maybe not the fastest, but fast nonetheless. And straight-line drag racing isn't the only game in town.
The following users liked this post:
SAlexander (05-08-2023)
Old 05-05-2023, 10:40 PM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 876 Likes on 416 Posts

Would love to see a video of you really working that MT in your car. Sounds like I could learn a lot from your skills! Please share as Rennlist is a great place to learn more about our cars particularly in these technical discussion threads.

Last edited by icanthelpit; 05-05-2023 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-06-2023, 09:05 AM
Marcha
Instructor

Received 327 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by markenki
This is silly. Of course, the 911 is a fast car. Maybe not the fastest, but fast nonetheless. And straight-line drag racing isn't the only game in town.
The 911 used to be a fast car before EVs came along, but guess what, now it isn’t.
My point is that sacrificing all the extra fun and driver engagement of a manual for 1/2 sec extra speed to 60 makes no sense when grannies are nipping to the shops in EVs which are quicker anyway.
I can understand people buying the PDK for a daily driver in city traffic that’s also good for cruising at weekends but not purely because it’s faster. Sacrificing all that extra fun for a paper statistic that you won’t even notice on the road makes no sense whatsoever in my opinion.
Old 05-06-2023, 09:31 AM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 150 Posts

Why do you want center-lock wheels?
That's one of the options that distinguishes the GTS from the Carrera S we bought and is not an option I wanted.
(I think rear-wheel steering is another).
Old 05-06-2023, 09:32 AM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Received 402 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott P
that's ridiculous. You get an allocation for a GTS there's no difference to the factory if it's 7MT or PDK. You don't get asked that until freeze date AFTER the allocation is given.
I assumed he was referring to S vs GTS allocation, rather than suggesting the transmission choice has anything to do with the allocation.
Old 05-06-2023, 09:33 AM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Received 402 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by garthg
Why do you want center-lock wheels?
That's one of the options that distinguishes the GTS from the Carrera S we bought and is not an option I wanted.
(I think rear-wheel steering is another).
RAS is optional on both the S and GTS.

Quick Reply: GTS 7MT - Cost Advantage?