Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experiences with M-engineering tune on 992S

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2023 | 07:21 AM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Default Experiences with M-engineering tune on 992S

I'm interested in what your experience has been,good or bad, with the M-engineering tune for the 992S.

What file did you go with? 91 or 93? Did you have to get a reworked file or did it work on first go-around and would you do it again?

Old 04-27-2023 | 07:46 AM
lemonorlime
Instructor

Originally Posted by catdog2
I'm interested in what your experience has been,good or bad, with the M-engineering tune for the 992S.

What file did you go with? 91 or 93? Did you have to get a reworked file or did it work on first go-around and would you do it again?
After reading countless testimonies on this forum, I decided to go the M-Tuner Stage 1 93. I already had a few thousand kms on the odo and was familiar with the engine's response, and when I applied the tune (which is very easy btw) I could notice a substantial improvement in response. 3rd and 4th gears feel like a breeze, 1st and 2nd can get annoying for passengers. The most noticeable improvement for me though was the top-end, where on stock I could feel the engine "running out of breath" whereas with the tune you can definitely feel that the car just keeps eating the road.

I have a rare and slight (and difficult to reliably reproduce) engine "stutter" at the low-end, when the RPM is between 1-2KRPM, but it's not M-Engineering's fault, they already sent me a few revisions and asked me to perform some datalogging, but due to my own busy schedule (and the difficulty to consistently reproduce the behavior) I haven't performed any datalogs. I'll try to do that soon but that's beside the main point.

M-Engineering have been stellar in their response. I can only say positive things about them, I have no experience with other tuners.
The following 2 users liked this post by lemonorlime:
Chalk992911S (04-27-2023), cptcolo0 (10-10-2024)
Old 04-27-2023 | 10:34 AM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

Sounds great, did you figure out what causes the hesitation? Did reflashing to stock fix the problem?
The following users liked this post:
badtoro99 (06-15-2024)
Old 04-27-2023 | 11:07 AM
lemonorlime
Instructor

Sounds great, did you figure out what causes the hesitation? Did reflashing to stock fix the problem?
No I couldn't figure out exactly why the hesitation/stutter comes up. When I flash to stock it goes away. But the performance gains under M-Tuner outweigh the occasional stutter. I'm sure M-Engineering can figure it out once I send them the logs.
The following users liked this post:
Chalk992911S (04-27-2023)
Old 04-27-2023 | 12:50 PM
unskirted
Instructor

Originally Posted by lemonorlime
No I couldn't figure out exactly why the hesitation/stutter comes up. When I flash to stock it goes away. But the performance gains under M-Tuner outweigh the occasional stutter. I'm sure M-Engineering can figure it out once I send them the logs.

Hesitations and stutters are common when using OTS tunes, similar to piggybacks where its constantly changing timing. Sometimes it pulls hard, sometimes it stutters and chokes. Can get pretty annoying at times. For me personally, I prefer consistent linear power vs getting a 50+ bump in inconsistent hp. This is one of the main reasons why I wait to go full custom tune.

Last edited by unskirted; 04-27-2023 at 12:51 PM.
Old 04-27-2023 | 02:14 PM
NigelPlays
Racer

Originally Posted by lemonorlime
After reading countless testimonies on this forum, I decided to go the M-Tuner Stage 1 93. I already had a few thousand kms on the odo and was familiar with the engine's response, and when I applied the tune (which is very easy btw) I could notice a substantial improvement in response. 3rd and 4th gears feel like a breeze, 1st and 2nd can get annoying for passengers. The most noticeable improvement for me though was the top-end, where on stock I could feel the engine "running out of breath" whereas with the tune you can definitely feel that the car just keeps eating the road.

I have a rare and slight (and difficult to reliably reproduce) engine "stutter" at the low-end, when the RPM is between 1-2KRPM, but it's not M-Engineering's fault, they already sent me a few revisions and asked me to perform some datalogging, but due to my own busy schedule (and the difficulty to consistently reproduce the behavior) I haven't performed any datalogs. I'll try to do that soon but that's beside the main point.

M-Engineering have been stellar in their response. I can only say positive things about them, I have no experience with other tuners.
I have the same problem when I'm in the mountains. I just don;t have time to datalog too. But I agree customer service is great. I just have to do my part.
Old 04-27-2023 | 02:48 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

I had a very positive experience with M Engineering. I got the tune for features (disable ***, cold start and farts in sport mode), not power gains but I did ask for a stage 0 and a stage 1 91 octane tune just to see what it is like and it definitely has noticeably more power without any discernible downsides, it’s a nice, progressive power curve, does not feel unbalanced at all, very OEM-like.

Other than having to buy a cheap windows laptop (I’m a Mac user) just for the tune, it is also very easy to program/modify and the M Engineering team is super responsive and fast.

I give them 5/5 stars.
The following 2 users liked this post by RudyP:
GianniG60 (03-23-2024), ICU (05-27-2024)
Old 04-27-2023 | 02:59 PM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

@RudyP their features are great and they are super responsive.

Regarding the stage 1 tune, how long did you have it on your car for?

What year and model is your 992 and and did you have any hesitations at low or high rpm when on wide open throttle?

And curious why would you go to stage 0 with features instead of 91 stage 1 with features?

Last edited by catdog2; 04-27-2023 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-27-2023 | 03:12 PM
CZS
Rennlist Member

Has anyone with an M-Engineering tune reflashed back to stock for a dealer warranty visit? Would love to hear first hand experiences from anyone who has tested their claim that, once flashed back to stock, the tune is undetectable by the dealer. Obviously it all sounds too good to be true and I remain skeptical, but I'm certainly in no position to argue their claim that the flash counter gets reset and therefore nothing to reveal the previously installed tune.
The following 2 users liked this post by CZS:
Cobra66 (03-03-2024), Tsobocop (04-29-2023)
Old 04-27-2023 | 03:20 PM
catdog2
Rennlist Member

@CZS this has been discussed so many times and not just for M-Engineering but also for Softronic etc.

I think with all of these if Porsche wants to dig deep then can find signs and subtles changes that can let them know there had been a flash.

The issue is how deep do they have to do it and for what reason.

For regular visits your dealer on first pass won't be able to tell and so won't flag your car in the system.

But now show up with a blown engine or some other major issue that requires major engine repair and you can bet your bottom dollar Porsche will be performing a forensic analysis and will be able to tell something isn't Kosher.

So when you get a tune in the back of your mind you should be ready for that possibility.

On the other hand a good tune can be transformative and make it worthwhile.

Last edited by catdog2; 04-27-2023 at 03:23 PM.
The following 5 users liked this post by catdog2:
CDACH (04-28-2023), impinth06 (04-23-2024), jlegelis (04-27-2023), minn19 (04-27-2023), shrimp money (04-27-2023)
Old 04-27-2023 | 03:56 PM
lemonorlime
Instructor

Originally Posted by NigelPlays
I have the same problem when I'm in the mountains. I just don;t have time to datalog too. But I agree customer service is great. I just have to do my part.
Can you tell me more about the stutter?
In my case I can feel it only when accelerating veeeerrryyy slowly, in low RPM (sub 2K), for example in a parking lot while looking for a space. The car jerks a bit, sort of like people do when they're first learning to drive stick shift, though not as violently. If I press the accelerator, even at low RPM, the stutter doesn't exhibit, neither does it in Neutral btw. I -think- I can feel it on the highway when I'm on 8th gear (since I tend to be barely accelerating within that same RPM range), however due to the gear ratio the stutter impact from the engine is minimized unlike in 1st gear.
Old 04-27-2023 | 05:40 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

@RudyP their features are great and they are super responsive.

Regarding the stage 1 tune, how long did you have it on your car for?

What year and model is your 992 and and did you have any hesitations at low or high rpm when on wide open throttle?

And curious why would you go to stage 0 with features instead of 91 stage 1 with features?
I think I drove it 3 or 4 times with the stage 1 tune. No hesitations that I noticed at all. It's a 2020 C2S.

Reason for stage 0 is I think the car has plenty of power as is - I'm not a huge power guy. I also don't drive the 992 very often - it's mostly my wife's second car as well as our loaner for house guests which required PDK and I am not a fan of automatics.
Old 04-27-2023 | 06:26 PM
unskirted
Instructor

Originally Posted by RudyP
I think I drove it 3 or 4 times with the stage 1 tune. No hesitations that I noticed at all. It's a 2020 C2S.

Reason for stage 0 is I think the car has plenty of power as is - I'm not a huge power guy. I also don't drive the 992 very often - it's mostly my wife's second car as well as our loaner for house guests which required PDK and I am not a fan of automatics.
992 loaner car for house guests? wow they're lucky
The following 8 users liked this post by unskirted:
atl1glf (02-10-2024), CDACH (04-28-2023), Easy2speed (08-29-2024), Honinspire02 (02-01-2024), Jeahbladejeah (04-27-2023), pkalhan (04-28-2023), srleadjb (06-21-2024), Tompoodie (04-29-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-27-2023 | 06:40 PM
CZS
Rennlist Member

@CZS this has been discussed so many times and not just for M-Engineering but also for Softronic etc.

I think with all of these if Porsche wants to dig deep then can find signs and subtles changes that can let them know there had been a flash.

The issue is how deep do they have to do it and for what reason.

For regular visits your dealer on first pass won't be able to tell and so won't flag your car in the system.

But now show up with a blown engine or some other major issue that requires major engine repair and you can bet your bottom dollar Porsche will be performing a forensic analysis and will be able to tell something isn't Kosher.

So when you get a tune in the back of your mind you should be ready for that possibility.

On the other hand a good tune can be transformative and make it worthwhile.
Sage advice regarding ANY tune and I would operate under the assumption that my powertrain warranty is null and void if I were to go that route. That said, M Engineering makes a very bold claim. They claim that their tune is undetectable to Porsche if you reflash back to stock. They've been pressed on this many times and are insistent this is the case. I'm just curious if anyone has actually put it to the test.
Old 04-27-2023 | 08:01 PM
RudyP
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by unskirted
992 loaner car for house guests? wow they're lucky
We aim to provide a quality visiting experience. Of course it’s mostly family who visit anyway!

Quick Reply: Experiences with M-engineering tune on 992S