Sponsored by:

Battery drain issues resolved?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2023, 04:14 AM
CZS
Rennlist Member

Received 242 Likes on 99 Posts
Post Battery drain issues resolved?

I currently have RAS checked on my build which locks in a few days, but would very much like to avoid getting stuck with a $2500 Lithium battery replacement should it fail prematurely. I think I've read every thread on Rennlist about both RAS and lithium batteries, but the topic seems to have mostly dried up in recent months. I dropped by my dealer's service desk last week and asked a few questions and, while the response was largely dismissive, I was told that "you must drive the car 6000 miles in a rolling 12 month period to maintain the battery warranty coverage". When I pressed back and asked if using a trickle charger for periods when the vehicle was stored would protect the warranty, she was very dismissive and basically said it wouldn't matter and the battery wouldn't be covered. Needless to say, this has me reevaluating RAS altogether so any feedback and/or updates on this would be greatly appreciated.

Have these issues been resolved through updates/fixes?
Has it been confirmed that putting the car on a trickle charger when not in use will protect against denied warranty claims? Official word from PCNA?
Who's still battling battery drain issues?

Last edited by CZS; 04-23-2023 at 06:21 AM.
Old 04-23-2023, 10:03 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

The battery issues on 992's is not limited to lithium batteries, several of us with AGM batteries have had the same problems. Thankfully in my case the problem seemed resolved with some software updates and resets last year.

As far as the warranty is concerned, that 6,000 mile rule is touted all the time by Porsche but frankly in my view it's a nonsense. If the car can't maintain a charge on a healthy battery for more than a couple of days it's not fit for purpose.
Old 04-23-2023, 10:16 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,451 Likes on 755 Posts

I think it is all overblown- Sure- a very small percentage had issues but but not limited to lithium batteries.

I would not be concerned. If you are; remove RAS if it helps you sleep better.
The following users liked this post:
jlegelis (04-23-2023)
Old 04-23-2023, 12:15 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 134 Posts

Overblown, my 991.2 C4S is a 2019, it had 13k miles on it when I bought it last October. It just did the 4 year service and it’s got 18K miles on it now. As part of the Porsche PPM they check the whole car and it’s in perfect shape including the battery. I mostly drive it on weekends and when I do, it’s about 110 miles. That’s a combo of city, highway and backroads and I get it up to 100 or so for a bit on the highway. It’s in a garage and not on a tender. I have no battery problems. Now in two years Porsche says I should replace it. But when it’s checked in two years and it’s good, I’m not replacing it.
Old 04-23-2023, 04:37 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,541 Likes on 5,064 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
I think it is all overblown- Sure- a very small percentage had issues but but not limited to lithium batteries.

This.

The internet does weird things to people's minds.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
CZS (04-23-2023), jlegelis (04-23-2023)
Old 04-23-2023, 05:05 PM
aquatone
Instructor

Received 169 Likes on 81 Posts

I was one of those having lithium battery issues in various other threads in my 2021 C4S.

However, since a service visit to address this 1-2 months ago after the bulletin/fix in the DIY channel was implemented, the problem now appears resolved.

Yay!
CZS (04-23-2023)
Old 04-23-2023, 06:27 PM
CZS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aquatone
I was one of those having lithium battery issues in various other threads in my 2021 C4S.

However, since a service visit to address this 1-2 months ago after the bulletin/fix in the DIY channel was implemented, the problem now appears resolved.

Yay!
Sorry you had to be a test case, but glad to hear that the fix worked to resolve the issues you were having!
Old 04-23-2023, 06:29 PM
CZS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by aggie57
The battery issues on 992's is not limited to lithium batteries, several of us with AGM batteries have had the same problems. Thankfully in my case the problem seemed resolved with some software updates and resets last year.

As far as the warranty is concerned, that 6,000 mile rule is touted all the time by Porsche but frankly in my view it's a nonsense. If the car can't maintain a charge on a healthy battery for more than a couple of days it's not fit for purpose.
Appreciate the feedback and glad to hear the the software update fixed your issues!
aggie57 (04-23-2023)
Old 04-23-2023, 06:33 PM
CZS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D

I suspect you're right, but I have been guilty of downplaying potential issues like this in the past with other vehicles so wanted to do my due diligence here. Thankfully it seems like a control module was drawing power when it shouldn't have been and draining batteries. Good news that the update appears to have fixed the issue for those affected!
Old 04-25-2023, 02:36 AM
itrocks4u
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by CZS
I suspect you're right, but I have been guilty of downplaying potential issues like this in the past with other vehicles so wanted to do my due diligence here. Thankfully it seems like a control module was drawing power when it shouldn't have been and draining batteries. Good news that the update appears to have fixed the issue for those affected!
Is this accurate? I do have RAS on my build too thats locking soon.
Old 04-25-2023, 03:16 AM
CZS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by itrocks4u
Is this accurate? I do have RAS on my build too thats locking soon.
It looks like you've already found this thread (https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1291...ry-2500-a.html) but it appears that many of the issues were resolved for the 2020-21 cars with PCM5 via a software update referenced in Bulletin #2229. After more reading in the past few days than I'd care to admit and careful consideration of risk/benefit, I'm now comfortable checking the box for RAS on my build which locks this week. (Congrats on your build, by the way!)

Quick Reply: Battery drain issues resolved?