Sponsored by:

Day One with GTS

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2023, 01:46 AM
HappinessProcured
Racer

Received 194 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Day One with GTS

TLDR; I'm in love. And I've proven definitively, you can buy happiness. But I can't change my screen name, as far as I know. Son of a...

Maybe the best part so far (hours and maybe 50 miles into ownership), is that all the commentary you read is so subjective. Not to say I don't appreciate all the opinions and feedback, but as much as I've read and thought I knew what to expect, it's a whole new car to explore. I was deathly worried about how harsh the suspension would be, but it rides like my econobox. Maybe better. I've hit holes in the road I thought for sure would crack my teeth, but it soaked them up with ease. Maybe the steamroller tires helped bridge some of that? And this is all with tires over-inflated, I suspect. Rears, once "warmed" were 49 psi. The 14 way seats are perfectly comfortable, although I imagine if you really throw the car into corners, maybe you slide around a little. I assume that will be an exception to how I drive, but on the other hand, tomorrow is day two.

Few things I was surprised by:
  1. I feel there isn't much power when accelerating from a stop. It revs quickly enough, but it only throws you back once off idle by a thousand RPM or two. So it's challenging to accelerate like a Porsche should without looking like you're racing. Is this normal? I thought it would punch more from a stop. Is there a valet mode or something I need to adjust to realize full power from idle?
  2. My SA says there is no break in period. Not sure that's consistent with things I've read on the ol' internet (and how can the internet be wrong???). But I see nothing in the owners manual about this, so....
  3. Back to the tires, they were showing 38/49 psi (front/rear) once "warmed" (ambient temp about 50F). The door sticker shows 37/45 psi. The manual shows 29/32 psi comfort and 33/38 psi full load, cold, of course. As mentioned, I don't find the ride jarring now, so figuring I could reduce to the "full load" pressures and be happy. But is this going to be an ongoing fight with the dealer every time I take it in for service, where they over-inflate the tires based on the door sticker? I don't get why the door sticker doesn't match the manual. Or maybe it does, and "warm" tires increase this much. Will know more tomorrow when I check the cold tire pressures.
  4. The 14-way seats go looooooow. It's cool, but I get no thigh support unless I raise the seat maybe halfway up. Is this the same as others find?
Love to hear your comments on any of these early observations. For full disclosure, this is my first Porsche and first sports car, really. I skipped the BMW phase, figuring when you can buy the benchmark, buy the benchmark. My econobox is 150 hp, so when I complain about power from idle, it's sorta serious.

The following 10 users liked this post by HappinessProcured:
993RUF (04-20-2023), Dan006 (04-20-2023), Go Bruins (04-23-2023), johny221 (04-20-2023), joydrive (04-20-2023), Motorin Mark (04-20-2023), pelucidor (04-20-2023), SAlexander (04-21-2023), secondtimer (04-20-2023), UncleDude (04-20-2023) and 5 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-20-2023, 08:07 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,552 Likes on 964 Posts

Your manual does have break In or “run in” instructions of under 4k rpm for first 1875 miles.
The following 3 users liked this post by Fullyield:
Dr. Z (04-20-2023), johnohara (04-20-2023), shrimp money (04-20-2023)
Old 04-20-2023, 09:33 AM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,442 Likes on 698 Posts

Do you have a stick or auto trans. I test drove a base and found that when I first hit the gas from a stop it was kind of jumpy-really reacted. My manual is not at all like that, as it seems less "jumpy" when I first accelerate.

update: just checked the 1st gear gear ratios and they support my observation---stick is 3.91 and PDK is 4.89.

Last edited by Staffie Guy; 04-20-2023 at 09:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
johny221 (04-20-2023)
Old 04-20-2023, 12:21 PM
HappinessProcured
Racer

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Your manual does have break In or “run in” instructions of under 4k rpm for first 1875 miles.
I still don't see that in the manual anywhere. Do you happen to know what section it might be under?
Old 04-20-2023, 12:21 PM
HappinessProcured
Racer

Originally Posted by Staffie Guy
Do you have a stick or auto trans. I test drove a base and found that when I first hit the gas from a stop it was kind of jumpy-really reacted. My manual is not at all like that, as it seems less "jumpy" when I first accelerate.

update: just checked the 1st gear gear ratios and they support my observation---stick is 3.91 and PDK is 4.89.
Mine is a PDK
Old 04-20-2023, 12:44 PM
X-PH.COM - MIKE
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 262 Likes on 235 Posts

Congrats, beautiful car
Old 04-20-2023, 12:53 PM
3rdpedal
Rennlist Member

Received 1,834 Likes on 956 Posts

Are you driving in Sport or Sport Plus or Normal, or is there no Sport Chrono?
The 18 ways are better. The 14 ways are good, but they don't hug you like the 18 ways can.
Yes, the break in is 1500-1800 miles. You should respect that for the first 1000 at least if not longer.
Congratulations, and no disrespect, but I see a lot of Just Got the Car Reviews. Shouldn't a Review be after a period of ownership when you can truly assess that which you got and discuss the things that are great about it as well as the shortcomings. Just food for thought.

Anyway, enjoy!
Old 04-20-2023, 01:02 PM
HappinessProcured
Racer

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
Shouldn't a Review be after a period of ownership
I wasn't aware I was only allowed to do one
The following 2 users liked this post by HappinessProcured:
Go Bruins (04-23-2023), SAlexander (04-21-2023)
Old 04-20-2023, 02:53 PM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Received 690 Likes on 325 Posts

1. mash the pedal once you hit break-in. you'll fly off the line and you'll rev up to 5k in no time. personally, in traffic, i slow roll off the line then goose it once through the intersection.
2. it's in the book. i followed it with lots of engine speed variation including plenty of engine braking. no cruise. some half throttle pulls. couple accidental trips to 5-5.5k. it wants to rev high if you drive spirited so be careful. hard braking will also cause it to shift into higher revs.
3. my tires are at full load pressure. awesome ridge quality with sport suspension always on. not sure why folks complain.
4. 18-ways are the cat's meow. the 14 defintely don't hold you in place. test drove 14-18 ways back to back the there was no doubt in which to get.

congrats. there is no looking back.
Old 04-20-2023, 05:39 PM
HappinessProcured
Racer

Originally Posted by dudeoverthere
2. it's in the book..
Do you know under what section? It's not in the intro and there is no "break in" or "run in" section.

Last edited by HappinessProcured; 04-20-2023 at 05:42 PM.
Old 04-20-2023, 05:52 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by CantBuyHappiness
TLDR; I'm in love. And I've proven definitively, you can buy happiness. But I can't change my screen name, as far as I know. Son of a...

Maybe the best part so far (hours and maybe 50 miles into ownership), is that all the commentary you read is so subjective. Not to say I don't appreciate all the opinions and feedback, but as much as I've read and thought I knew what to expect, it's a whole new car to explore. I was deathly worried about how harsh the suspension would be, but it rides like my econobox. Maybe better. I've hit holes in the road I thought for sure would crack my teeth, but it soaked them up with ease. Maybe the steamroller tires helped bridge some of that? And this is all with tires over-inflated, I suspect. Rears, once "warmed" were 49 psi. The 14 way seats are perfectly comfortable, although I imagine if you really throw the car into corners, maybe you slide around a little. I assume that will be an exception to how I drive, but on the other hand, tomorrow is day two.

Few things I was surprised by:
  1. I feel there isn't much power when accelerating from a stop. It revs quickly enough, but it only throws you back once off idle by a thousand RPM or two. So it's challenging to accelerate like a Porsche should without looking like you're racing. Is this normal? I thought it would punch more from a stop. Is there a valet mode or something I need to adjust to realize full power from idle? You would kill the guy in front of you and yourself if full power at idle
  2. My SA says there is no break in period. Not sure that's consistent with things I've read on the ol' internet (and how can the internet be wrong???). But I see nothing in the owners manual about this, so.... 1000 Miles for break-in enough. Keep under 4500 for fisrt 500 and then move up a lilttle more each 100 miles
  3. Back to the tires, they were showing 38/49 psi (front/rear) once "warmed" (ambient temp about 50F). The door sticker shows 37/45 psi. The manual shows 29/32 psi comfort and 33/38 psi full load, cold, of course. As mentioned, I don't find the ride jarring now, so figuring I could reduce to the "full load" pressures and be happy. But is this going to be an ongoing fight with the dealer every time I take it in for service, where they over-inflate the tires based on the door sticker? I don't get why the door sticker doesn't match the manual. Or maybe it does, and "warm" tires increase this much. Will know more tomorrow when I check the cold tire pressures. I like 35 front 40 rear when cold. I always instruct at Porsche service not to touch tire pressure
  4. The 14-way seats go looooooow. It's cool, but I get no thigh support unless I raise the seat maybe halfway up. Is this the same as others find? I have the 4 ways on my GTS and think they rock. I have had all their seats and no need to pay up for any of them unless you want memory
Love to hear your comments on any of these early observations. For full disclosure, this is my first Porsche and first sports car, really. I skipped the BMW phase, figuring when you can buy the benchmark, buy the benchmark. My econobox is 150 hp, so when I complain about power from idle, it's sorta serious.

Enjoy!! - comments above
dutcheruption (04-24-2023)
Old 04-20-2023, 06:25 PM
porsche.earth
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

If you didn't have a problem with tire pressures, adjust them to the door jamb when cold if they aren't already and stop there.....
49 isnt that high when warmed

thigh support maybe extend the thing in the front of the seat

Last edited by porsche.earth; 04-20-2023 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-20-2023, 06:32 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 578 Likes on 265 Posts

Congratulations!
Old 04-20-2023, 08:13 PM
911vsC2s
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What you’re describing if you’re giving it full gas is turbo lag.

I’m still experimenting with how to eliminate it best without dumping the clutch, but I think sport mode may reduce somewhat over sport plus due to throttle mapping sharpness.
Mercuriell (04-22-2023)
Old 04-20-2023, 08:30 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,995 Likes on 812 Posts

Are you flooring it to get acceleration from a stop? It should not feel slow at all. If you had a car with a overlly boosted throttle, perhaps the 992's throttle response isn't as aggressive? Also, I never drive in normal mode so maybe I'm just used to the more aggressive throttle mapping of sport and sport plus.

There is a very long break in period of about 2000 miles, but I've been flooring and redlining my car since about 500 miles.

With respect to tire pressures, unless you are going to fully load up your car, there's no need to run full load tire pressures. Go with the middle 32/38 pressures (measured when tires are cold) and change the setting appopriately in PCM so your TPMS warnings will be apporpriate for the pressure you're running.

The 14 way seats are designed to be as wide as possible. Don't expect them to hold you in place at all. I test drove a base Carrera with 14 ways. if felt like a flat park bench to me.

Quick Reply: Day One with GTS