Akravopic Exhaust Help Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2023, 07:27 PM
Albechow
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Akravopic Exhaust Help Needed!

Hi my RL fellow members!
I took delivery of my 2022 Targa4GTS last year in Oct, in Canada and hadn’t driven it much during the winter.
CL winter tires and rims are insanely expensive, and I had a winter beater so I figured I’d rather be safe than sorry.
I just took the car out last week and did a Vlog on it, and I noticed the exhaust was actually not as loud as I thought it would be.
The interior has decent sound, but not much pops and bangs when I downshift.
For those interested in taking a look at my vlog, here’s the link to my youtube video:
https://youtu.be/oSEZAtvbmJQ

I’m only at 17xx KM for now, so technically I haven’t passed my ‘break in’ period yet, which I remember seeing somewhere in this forum saying the exhaust sound might deepen after 4000 or so km?
I’m debating on getting the full Akravopic Exhaust Slip on and header, but I read on the website the header would need an ECU tune to avoiding getting the CEL. And I surely didn’t want get the tune to void the new car warranty.
I’m ok just doing the slip on, but was wondering if there’s any improvement on the exhaust sound at all.
Another question is if I get a header, what brand should I get that won’t result in a CEL, and the exhaust sound won’t be too arrogant and annoying since I still plan to use it as a DD.
Lastly, is there any RL discount available in Toronto, since I don’t really want to pay full pop for the Akravopic exhaust slip on.
I did ask Pfaff Tuning for a price and it wasn’t that bad, just the slip on was around $6600 CAD and $700 CAD more for installation, and then add 13% taxes.
Thanks in advance, and I apologize in advance if this is a duplicate thread.
Old 04-18-2023, 08:28 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Albechow
Hi my RL fellow members!
I took delivery of my 2022 Targa4GTS last year in Oct, in Canada and hadn’t driven it much during the winter.
CL winter tires and rims are insanely expensive, and I had a winter beater so I figured I’d rather be safe than sorry.
I just took the car out last week and did a Vlog on it, and I noticed the exhaust was actually not as loud as I thought it would be.
For those interested in taking a look at my vlog, here’s the link to my youtube video:

I’m only at 17xx KM for now, so technically I haven’t passed my ‘break in’ period yet, which I remember seeing somewhere in this forum saying the exhaust sound might deepen after 4000 or so km?
I’m debating on getting the full Akravopic Exhaust Slip on and header, but I read on the website the header would need an ECU tune to avoiding getting the CEL. And I surely didn’t want get the tune to void the new car warranty.
I’m ok just doing the slip on, but was wondering if there’s any improvement on the exhaust sound at all.
Another question is if I get a header, what brand should I get that won’t result in a CEL, and the exhaust sound won’t be too arrogant and annoying since I still plan to use it as a DD.
Lastly, is there any RL discount available in Toronto, since I don’t really want to pay full pop for the Akravopic exhaust slip on.
I did ask Pfaff Tuning for a price and it wasn’t that bad, just the slip on was around $6600 CAD and $700 CAD more for installation, and then add 13% taxes.
I would try a valve controller first. Hit up @SupremePower I can't say enough about the sound and volume. Then add other mods if you're not satisfied.
The following 2 users liked this post by Shogunade:
Albechow (04-18-2023), gthal (04-18-2023)
Old 04-18-2023, 08:35 PM
gthal
Pro

Received 539 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Shogunade
I would try a valve controller first. Hit up @SupremePower I can't say enough about the sound and volume. Then add other mods if you're not satisfied.
OP... I was having the same thought process as you and, like Shogunade suggested, decided to start with the Cargraphic valve controller first. My thought was that if it weren't "enough" then I would still use it with the after market exhaust. I haven't installed mine yet but early reports from others are very fabourable.
Old 04-18-2023, 08:52 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 816 Likes on 435 Posts

Get the cargraphic valve controller first. I have it and it transformed the car. If it’s not enough for you, get the slip on.
Old 04-18-2023, 09:50 PM
PorscheObsessed
Racer

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

Hi my RL fellow members!

Not doubting your desire for something louder but allow me to share a recent experience. I have a C2s with PSE. I left for international travel this January and the car was garaged for a month. I came back, fired it up, and the valves won’t open as much in Sports mode. Took me about a couple of weeks and the valves finally began to
open as I remembered before winter. The sound was back to normal.
If you remember your car being louder, do a few WOT drive sessions and see if it fixes anything.
The following users liked this post:
Albechow (04-19-2023)
Old 04-18-2023, 10:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 816 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheObsessed
Not doubting your desire for something louder but allow me to share a recent experience. I have a C2s with PSE. I left for international travel this January and the car was garaged for a month. I came back, fired it up, and the valves won’t open as much in Sports mode. Took me about a couple of weeks and the valves finally began to
open as I remembered before winter. The sound was back to normal.
If you remember your car being louder, do a few WOT drive sessions and see if it fixes anything.
Odd you mention that. I felt the same way after firing mine up after winter. I remembered the exhaust being weak, but it seemed even weaker after the winter nap. No worries now, as I have the control module from cargraphic, but maybe there is something to this theory.
PorscheObsessed (04-18-2023)
Old 04-18-2023, 10:51 PM
BillyX
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 69 Posts

[QUOTE=I’m only at 17xx KM for now...the exhaust sound might deepen after 4000 or so km?[/QUOTE]

Yes, after about 4,000 miles (6,400 Km?) the Akrapovič exhaust slowly becomes deeper and slightly louder.
I like the sound better now at 14,000 miles. But maybe that's just spring fever and open windows.
Old 04-18-2023, 11:29 PM
reddsektor
Pro

Received 511 Likes on 263 Posts

In general, you don't add headers for sound, you add them for some additional hp. On the 992 however, headers don't give any hp, and you can actually lose hp with them since the stock headers are already optimal. Just the slip on exhaust will not sound dramatically louder, maybe about 30-40%. As others said, what you need for max sound improvement is to open valves fully, either thru tune or standalone valve controller. Open valves on the PSE sounds very loud and aggressive; so much that you probably won't ever feel the need for an exhaust.

Last edited by reddsektor; 04-18-2023 at 11:30 PM.
Master Deep (04-19-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 09:12 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,552 Likes on 964 Posts

Hi my RL fellow members!

To directly answer your question, I am confused by what you mean by “Akrapovic Exhaust Slip On and header “. Do you really mean exhaust header or do you mean sport cat? If you are asking about after market sport cats (rather than true exhaust “headers”) then you will likely throw a CEL…..although Europipe and/or Soul Performance may have new sport cats that resolve that issue. There are extensive threads on this subject if you search. You can also contact Steph @ Europipe or John Gaydos @ Soul Performance who are experts in this field. Excellent customer service from both companies.
Albechow (04-19-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 09:41 AM
pandarex
Track Day

Received 38 Likes on 8 Posts

I just installed my akrapovic slip on and linkpipe on my 992 GTS. I dont do any remap. The sound was fantastic, and till now i dont see any cel turn on.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_8804.MOV (5.30 MB, 34 views)

Last edited by pandarex; 04-19-2023 at 09:43 AM.
Albechow (04-19-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 09:49 AM
brianja
Rennlist Member

Received 693 Likes on 268 Posts

I installed the Akrapovic slip-on on my car almost a year ago. With it there was a nice improvement in sound over stock. It certainly sounded better and louder with some additional turbo noise present at low RPMs. I was happy with ti and the build quality is fantastic. Cold starts with the Akrapovic are loud and could be a nuisance to neighbors. In comparison to my previous car (a 991.1 with an AWE exhaust), the 992 with Akrapovic was still rather tame.

Last week I installed the Cargraphic valve controller as well. That, in combination with the Akrapovic, made a huge difference in low RPM driving around town. With the valves forced open the sound is SO MUCH deeper and louder. I'd say it is just about perfect and I like that I can hit a button and return the car to stock valve programming for more civilized putting around town if I want.
Albechow (04-19-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 09:52 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,465 Likes on 764 Posts

Wait for those receiving their JCR exhausts this and next week to comment.

Mine will be here tomorrow so hopefully I can get it installed next week.

Heck of a lot cheaper than Akra and also titanium. No matter how pretty you think Akra is you will never see it so who cares
Albechow (04-19-2023)
Old 04-19-2023, 10:18 AM
Albechow
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
Wait for those receiving their JCR exhausts this and next week to comment.

Mine will be here tomorrow so hopefully I can get it installed next week.

Heck of a lot cheaper than Akra and also titanium. No matter how pretty you think Akra is you will never see it so who cares
True!
Do you mind posting some videos afterwards so we can compare?
And how much was it?
thanks
Old 04-19-2023, 10:20 AM
Albechow
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fullyield
To directly answer your question, I am confused by what you mean by “Akrapovic Exhaust Slip On and header “. Do you really mean exhaust header or do you mean sport cat? If you are asking about after market sport cats (rather than true exhaust “headers”) then you will likely throw a CEL…..although Europipe and/or Soul Performance may have new sport cats that resolve that issue. There are extensive threads on this subject if you search. You can also contact Steph @ Europipe or John Gaydos @ Soul Performance who are experts in this field. Excellent customer service from both companies.
Thanks for the update!
sorry I actually meant link pipes, would those create a CEL?
thank you
Old 04-19-2023, 10:21 AM
Albechow
Instructor

Originally Posted by pandarex
I just installed my akrapovic slip on and linkpipe on my 992 GTS. I dont do any remap. The sound was fantastic, and till now i dont see any cel turn on.
wow that sounds awesome!
Where did you get yours done?
And I saw on some forums that the CEL appears in a week or so, do keep us posted!

Quick Reply: Akravopic Exhaust Help Needed!