Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 GTS Suspension...

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2023, 05:37 AM
pandarex
Track Day

Received 38 Likes on 8 Posts

I just installed my car with KW has, i dont know yet about the ride comfortness, since my car still doing pof. And i love it how it looks 😊

Old 03-30-2023, 07:15 AM
null
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by KBS911
Went with the Bilstein EVO SE's on my 22 GTS. Love them! ...
@KBS911 , thanks for sharing. Any noise or clunking (over bumps / expansion joints / anywhere etc.)?
Old 03-30-2023, 05:35 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by null
@KBS911 , thanks for sharing. Any noise or clunking (over bumps / expansion joints / anywhere etc.)?
The only time I've heard a minor, barely perceptible noise is when I pull out of my fairly steep driveway and one side, front, of the car gets unloaded as I make the turn out. To be honest I've had some of the same "noises" with my stock suspension though .Other than that I have tracked and AX'ed the car on numerous occasions and nary a peep. That's my acid test. Very satisfied with the product and the installation.
The following users liked this post:
null (03-30-2023)
Old 04-03-2023, 08:36 PM
1957Goldtop
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 36 Posts

Doesn't make sense. The GTS is just a S+ and SE coil overs work on the Turbo and Turbo S, that weigh several hundred pounds more, but not on the GTS??? Sorry the GTS is not that special. Do what you will. I simply provided my actual experience on my 22 GTS with the EVO coil-overs. It transformed the car. Lowering springs are a half measure. Trust me, I know, I have had them on several cars. Good luck!

Just contacted Bilstien again and asked them to further research to make sure in fact that the EVO SE Coilovers are not compatible with the GTS... I pointed out that I know "many people" that have them on their GTS and they work fine. I also pointed out that many retailers such as the tire rack specifically say that are approved for the GTS (when you input your specific model on Tirerack, even if it's the GTS, they say they are compatible. Bilstein just got back to me with the following:
"Unfortunately Tire Rack is mistaken on this listing and we have been in contact regarding this issue. While this product will likely bolt up to the vehicle normally, it will not be compatible for the spring rates and dampening rates being used. At the end of the day, using products that are not intended for your vehicle does void the warranty as it is considered a misapplication. We do not make recommendations on products that are considered misapplications to your vehicle. I am sorry that we could not be of further assistance at this time. Thank you."

While I'm sure you will not be reversing your setup and are more than happy with them on your car, I wanted to post this for other people searching for this exact subject; Bilstein EVO SE on 992 GTS, so they can make an informed decision. Believe me, I'd much rather install the Bilsteins rather than just new springs... but, I'm not willing to take the risk... will definitely install them if they come out with a GTS specific model.

Last edited by 1957Goldtop; 04-03-2023 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-04-2023, 07:04 AM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957Goldtop
Just contacted Bilstien again and asked them to further research to make sure in fact that the EVO SE Coilovers are not compatible with the GTS... I pointed out that I know "many people" that have them on their GTS and they work fine. I also pointed out that many retailers such as the tire rack specifically say that are approved for the GTS (when you input your specific model on Tirerack, even if it's the GTS, they say they are compatible. Bilstein just got back to me with the following:
"Unfortunately Tire Rack is mistaken on this listing and we have been in contact regarding this issue. While this product will likely bolt up to the vehicle normally, it will not be compatible for the spring rates and dampening rates being used. At the end of the day, using products that are not intended for your vehicle does void the warranty as it is considered a misapplication. We do not make recommendations on products that are considered misapplications to your vehicle. I am sorry that we could not be of further assistance at this time. Thank you."

While I'm sure you will not be reversing your setup and are more than happy with them on your car, I wanted to post this for other people searching for this exact subject; Bilstein EVO SE on 992 GTS, so they can make an informed decision. Believe me, I'd much rather install the Bilsteins rather than just new springs... but, I'm not willing to take the risk... will definitely install them if they come out with a GTS specific model.
Yes, I understand, and appreciate your comments, however the same statement, ""While this product will likely bolt up to the vehicle normally, it will not be compatible for the spring rates and dampening rates being used. At the end of the day, using products that are not intended for your vehicle does void the warranty as it is considered a misapplication." would apply to any aftermarket suspension part. Lowering springs have different spring rates, even between manufactures, yet readily can "bolt" to your vehicle. Do KW coilovers have the same spring and dampening rates as the stock items. The answer is no. That's why people by them. I believe like most mods the Magnusen Moss act would apply as to warranty. I also find it hard to believe that the EVO's are compatible with the Carrera S and Turbo yet not for the GTS. The Turbo shocks are nearly identical to the GTS according to reviews and Porsche own advertising. My EVO coilovers have not thrown any codes, they make the stock coilovers, ride comfortably on the street and have performed flawlessly at the track. Don't mean to be contentious, just sharing my personal experience.
Old 04-04-2023, 02:17 PM
Jeahbladejeah
Rennlist Member

Received 275 Likes on 121 Posts

"While this product will likely bolt up to the vehicle normally, it will not be compatible for the spring rates and dampening rates being used. At the end of the day, using products that are not intended for your vehicle does void the warranty as it is considered a misapplication."
Put aside the GTS for a moment. This quote ^ needs more clarification. Either the design is for an S or for a Turbo, but not both, unless there are two separate SKUs. The two trims have different damping rates. Here is the table:

Based on this it seems their customer service rep is making an inaccurate statement.

Back to the GTS, if what they were saying were "accurate" it would still be inaccurate because the Targa GTS and the GTS with optional PASM each have the same suspension as the standard (non-option) S setup. So there would be use cases for the EVO kit on at least some GTS builds. But they haven't made that distinction, it doesn't sound like?

I'm happy to be proven wrong here, but the logic doesn't check out.
PG5768 (01-14-2024)
Old 04-04-2023, 02:35 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,235 Likes on 578 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeahbladejeah
Put aside the GTS for a moment. This quote ^ needs more clarification. Either the design is for an S or for a Turbo, but not both, unless there are two separate SKUs. The two trims have different damping rates. Here is the table:

Based on this it seems their customer service rep is making an inaccurate statement.

Back to the GTS, if what they were saying were "accurate" it would still be inaccurate because the Targa GTS and the GTS with optional PASM each have the same suspension as the standard (non-option) S setup. So there would be use cases for the EVO kit on at least some GTS builds. But they haven't made that distinction, it doesn't sound like?

I'm happy to be proven wrong here, but the logic doesn't check out.
Spring rate and spring height are two distinct things. For a given spring rate, the height of the spring needs to be adjusted for the weight of the vehicle to maintain the desired ride height.
Old 04-04-2023, 02:48 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Received 1,533 Likes on 669 Posts

Id be curious to know what the spring rate is for the EVO kit. I have a S with PASM and the EVO is noticeably stiffer than the standard PASM springs. By how much is what I can’t figure out. I can’t imagine it being far off from the GTS. And the part number works for a Carrera S with SPASM does it not? So why not a GTS with SPASM as well? The EVOs come with helper springs as well except FAL systems.
Jeahbladejeah (04-04-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 02:48 PM
Jeahbladejeah
Rennlist Member

I'll be the first to admit ignorance re: suspension. I don't know what I'm talking about there. But I can follow logic well and Bilstein's comments simply don't track. If the EVO is good for the S, then it isn't for the Turbo, and vice versa.

Edit: for shirts, I confirmed the part number recommended for the S and the Turbo are identical on Bilstein's website: 49-303940 for the non-FAL setup. Interestingly, there are two different part numbers for the FAL setup (S: 49-300581, Turbo: 49-320657).

Last edited by Jeahbladejeah; 04-04-2023 at 03:06 PM.
dixonk (04-04-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 03:03 PM
stiff///M
Racer

Received 497 Likes on 195 Posts

I'll just speculate that the Bilstein Evo kit has spring rates/damping very similar to the GTS/Turbo with SPASM. So while it bolts right up, it may not be much of a benefit at all to those cars which is why Bilstein is adamant that the EVO kit isn't for those cars.
Old 04-04-2023, 03:08 PM
Jeahbladejeah
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stiff///M
I'll just speculate that the Bilstein Evo kit has spring rates/damping very similar to the GTS/Turbo with SPASM. So while it bolts right up, it may not be much of a benefit at all to those cars which is why Bilstein is adamant that the EVO kit isn't for those cars.
They recommend it for the Turbo, but not the GTS. This is the crux of why we are all so confused.
Old 04-04-2023, 03:10 PM
stiff///M
Racer

Received 497 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeahbladejeah
They recommend it for the Turbo, but not the GTS. This is the crux of why we are all so confused.
A turbo comes with the lower spring rates standard. You have to option the SPASM to get the high rates that comes standard with a GTS (just not the Targa GTS)
Old 04-04-2023, 03:16 PM
Jeahbladejeah
Rennlist Member

A turbo comes with the lower spring rates standard. You have to option the SPASM to get the high rates that comes standard with a GTS (just not the Targa GTS)
Fair, but by this logic Bilstein should specify application for PASM Turbo and, as well, rule out SPASM turbo, which they do not (AFAIK).
Also, I find it hard to believe they would ever suggest "you shouldn't buy our product because its basically the same as what you have already."
Old 04-04-2023, 03:24 PM
1957Goldtop
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm the one who started this whole issue... All the comments I received from Bilstein is regarding the 992 Targa GTS.

So, the Targa GTS has different spring rates than a non-Targa GTS?

So how does that track with Bilstein's support comment on them not being for the Targa GTS (Although, they said no to all GTS 🤷‍♂️).
Old 04-04-2023, 03:29 PM
Jeahbladejeah
Rennlist Member

Correct, Targa GTS has same PASM as the S.

Quick Reply: 992 GTS Suspension...