Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speccing a 992 GTS - Question on PDCC+RAS

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2023, 08:31 PM
F8Driver
Pro

Received 331 Likes on 195 Posts

RAS is nice for reduced turning circle, can't be sure if I see its effect on daily driving. Trust me, the car corners flat w/o PDCC, so unless you're going for the ultimate track GTS ....
The following users liked this post:
Cartod (03-14-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 08:42 PM
Ifinallygotapcar
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

My goal was the ultimate track gts, and I don’t regret the RAS or PDCC. I think the main theme here is people becoming attached to their own build and defending it.

lithium battery alone seems to make the options worth it, lowers center of gravity and all that. For similar reasons I did the sun roof delete and manual seats.

After chasing ‘23 992’s without RAS/PDCC on track in my ‘23 92 that has them… I would spec my car the same every time. The grip and stability at the limit is incredible.

HOWEVER you build this car you’ll fall in love so don’t lose any sleep.
Quikag (03-16-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 08:50 PM
Cartod
Burning Brakes

Received 2,016 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by secondtimer
Not a must-have but if you like "flat" cornering then it is. I will getting it on mine.
Because a 992 without it corners like a logging truck. 🤣🤣🤣
The following 3 users liked this post by Cartod:
iso87 (03-27-2024), secondtimer (03-14-2023), Wilder (03-14-2023)
Old 03-14-2023, 11:46 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

Originally Posted by Ifinallygotapcar
lithium battery alone seems to make the options worth it, lowers center of gravity and all that. For similar reasons I did the sun roof delete and manual seats.
I gave this thought too. However, the replacement battery, and I believe it has to be that specific one, is $2,500. There are lighter Li batteries that seem to hold up better for $1k. It's one of the things I will swap out to reach my 100lbs loss goal which would've been some 30lbs harder had I ordered RAS. If you're going to track the car, it's worth considering. I already have a track car but though it through anyway and my conclusion was to nix it on the basis of the battery, the additional weight of the system and adding one more thing that can break, not to mention that I rather work on becoming a better driver than fall under the illusion that I'm better than I really am because the car is doing my work.
Cartod (03-15-2023)
Old 03-15-2023, 12:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 796 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by jlegelis
Let's play a fun 992 'technology' game shall we?. Here's a quiz, spot the similarities...
  • VTG - (Active) Variable Turbocharging Geometry
  • PASM - Active suspension
  • PADM - Active motor mounts
  • PSM - Active stability management
  • PTV - Active torque vectoring
  • PSE - Active exhaust
  • PDLS+ - Active headlights
  • VarioCam Plus - Active valve timing and lift
  • RAS - Active rear steering
Notice a pattern? The notion that deleting RAS makes the 992 more 'analog' and has 'less nannies' is simply absurd. Porsche's entire engineering philosophy for the 992 is to expand the performance envelope via digital enhancement of mechatronic systems. Which of the 60+ separate controllers and tens of millions lines of code should we delete to make the experience more 'pure'?

You want 'analog', go drive an Elise.
somewhat agree, but on the other hand you’re kinda making a case to get rid of RAS because the car is getting out of hand with the Nannie’s.

-VTG is tech, but it makes the motor seem more like N/A, so I would say this is tech that increases “pureness” in that way.
-Pasm- agree, don’t need it or want it on my 911
-PSM- helps me not die and mandated, so…call this one out of scope
-PTV- agree and don’t need or want it
-PSE- agree don’t want or need
-VVT- Not really perceptible so no impact on “pureness”
-RAS- Only option on the list I can deselect to increase “pureness” so out it goes. If I could go dodge viper on all the other stuff I would, and would happily almost hit a tree accelerating from every stop sign.

Old 03-16-2023, 03:36 PM
Malakas
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

I think the car behaves very nicely on the street with the RAS. I think if that is your intended use for the car, or at least predominant use, it would be a nice option to have. Easier to maneuver at slow speed and park and maybe smoother on the high way.

I think it would probably be a lot of fun for the occasional track day but my mind has a hard time trying to figure out how the RAS +/- steering angle and the slip angle of the tires would work if you're really hooning it at the track.

I have SPASM on my S and I think it corners pretty flat. I race a M240iR on adjustable sways and MCS setup and it has more body roll than the 911. Depending on your handling preference sometimes it's nice to have a little roll feel as you load up the tires.

If I was going to spec brand new RAS yes, PDCC no.
Old 03-16-2023, 04:29 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,007 Likes on 1,776 Posts

Originally Posted by Malakas
I think it would probably be a lot of fun for the occasional track day but my mind has a hard time trying to figure out how the RAS +/- steering angle and the slip angle of the tires would work if you're really hooning it at the track.
Even though it's a small angle, it does make a noticeable difference especially on fast sweepers. I'm sure it's a great contributor to the speed records of newer GT cars on the ring. However, for those who don't track, don't track enough, or do tighter tracks. the value is just not there and the risks are too high. Read the thread below. Some people with defective batteries (the Li ones that come with RAS), have been without a car for 4,6 and 8 months. Not a great way to enjoy your freshly spent six figures for the sake of better behavior on the street IMO. If that's not convincing enough, do a search for RAS failure. Not cool either.

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1299...n-battery.html
Old 03-16-2023, 04:58 PM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,290 Likes on 603 Posts

Originally Posted by Malakas
I think the car behaves very nicely on the street with the RAS. I think if that is your intended use for the car, or at least predominant use, it would be a nice option to have. Easier to maneuver at slow speed and park and maybe smoother on the high way.

I have SPASM on my S and I think it corners pretty flat. I race a M240iR on adjustable sways and MCS setup and it has more body roll than the 911. Depending on your handling preference sometimes it's nice to have a little roll feel as you load up the tires.

If I was going to spec brand new RAS yes, PDCC no.
I have 35+ track days so far on my RAS fitted 992 and I really like it. I find it mainly accentuates the expected behaviour of the car, so it feels very natural. I does require some getting accustomed to because the car reacts more promptly to inputs such as steering corrections or throttle lifts. However, once you’ve figured it out it, becomes completely natural to drive. It brings stability in high speed sweepers while improving handling response when you want to course correct.
The following 2 users liked this post by CanAutM3:
alin2 (03-25-2024), GT3 (03-18-2023)
Old 03-25-2024, 08:33 PM
F8Driver
Pro

Received 331 Likes on 195 Posts

I think a nice tweak for track, otherwise no. The car corners pretty doggone flat w/o it.
Old 03-25-2024, 10:44 PM
tna3
Instructor

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilder
Even though it's a small angle, it does make a noticeable difference especially on fast sweepers. I'm sure it's a great contributor to the speed records of newer GT cars on the ring. However, for those who don't track, don't track enough, or do tighter tracks. the value is just not there and the risks are too high. Read the thread below. Some people with defective batteries (the Li ones that come with RAS), have been without a car for 4,6 and 8 months. Not a great way to enjoy your freshly spent six figures for the sake of better behavior on the street IMO. If that's not convincing enough, do a search for RAS failure. Not cool either.

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1299...n-battery.html
My 24 model with RAS didn’t come with Li battery. I think it’s the case for all 2024s. So you have the option to go with aftermarket Li battery without Porsche nannies down the road if you really want it.
Old 03-25-2024, 10:58 PM
malba2366
Burning Brakes

Received 750 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by Wilder
Neither is a must have.

PDCC is amazing in Cayennes. The 911 in stock form turns flat and doesn't need help.

RAS is a polarizing topic that has been discussed ad nauseam. Do a search. Bottom line: the primary benefit is easier to park, easier to U turn and faster in sweepers at the track. The drawbacks include a mandatory $2,500 battery, extra weight, and one more gizmo to break and to make the car drive you instead of you driving the car.
I don't think the battery thing is a concern currently. MY24 RAS cars have been coming with AGM batteries.
Old 03-26-2024, 03:19 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

The RAS is great for tight parking lots and making U-turns on residential streets. Additionally, it is excellent when making fast lane changes. I had to do that on a couple of occasions when another car swerved into my lane and I was able to make a very quick lane change at 80+ mph w/o upsetting the balance of the car. It was super stable even though I had to yank the steering wheel very abruptly. I've also had zero issues with my lithium ion battery for over 2.5 yrs - and this included not driving the car for a week to two weeks at a time during the pandemic without ever using a battery tender.
HOTCHKIS (03-26-2024)
Old 03-26-2024, 08:26 PM
spnsprt
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Can anyone elaborate on PDDC and car sickness? I get car sick pretty easily and I'll take Dramamine on track days. Would hate to one day get a car with something that for some reason makes it worse.
Old 03-26-2024, 08:28 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by spnsprt
Can anyone elaborate on PDDC and car sickness? I get car sick pretty easily and I'll take Dramamine on track days. Would hate to one day get a car with something that for some reason makes it worse.
Do not buy an EV.
Old 03-27-2024, 03:24 PM
Xhip
Track Day

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spnsprt
I never suffered from car sickness on my 2024 gts with PDCC. But I felt very pleased with the flat cornering. You really feel that the car stays on its 4 wheels even in fast corners, where my c2s Standard PASM no RAS no PDCC had some roll. Not saying it’s better, i love that roll too that makes the car funnier to drive.
I’ll also say that PDCC can’t entirely erase suspension stiffness of GTS. You will suffer from bumpy roads, where standard PASM C2S rides really good

Last edited by Xhip; 03-27-2024 at 03:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Speccing a 992 GTS - Question on PDCC+RAS