Sponsored by:

Does anyone else appreciate this view?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2023, 07:13 PM
Dan006
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by al_b

Not sure if intended with the pic but funny how it blocks the outer gauges too. It’s al good we love these things
and at the time no one found it strange
Old 03-11-2023, 07:32 PM
toph4242
Rennlist Member

Received 2,566 Likes on 869 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
Given the plurality of posts in this thread liking the digital layouts, Porsche’s move to an all LCD display with the 992.2 is pretty low risk. Old man purists, self included, will scoff, but the younger generation seems to prefer a full digital dash.
As a consumer who just turned 30yo (Maybe that isn't young enough still) I can assure you that I HATE the digital screens and would much prefer the 991 and older setup with only 1 digital gauge at most! But I guess I fall into the enthusiast category, so maybe that cancels out my age... Most people my age just want wireless Carplay... as long as the car has that they seem to be pretty happy
The following 2 users liked this post by toph4242:
Denny Swift (03-12-2023), detansinn (03-11-2023)
Old 03-12-2023, 06:12 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,570 Likes on 663 Posts

I find the reduced option just worsens a bad 5-gauge display. In 5 gauge mode with the two outer gauges completely blocked, I still see much more information than with the 3 gauge option. Why not have the 3 guage format that allows you to see all the information you want? There is plenty of room for 4-5 lines of data on each of the tach-flanking screens.

When you select the 3 gauge display, all it does is remove some of the useful data from the standard 5-gauge layout and fully blocks out the outer gauges. It just makes an absurdly poor design even worse. It virtually uses black electrical tape to block out any small bits of the gauges that weren't already blocked by the wheel.

What's wrong with one display that shows me everything I want to see? (Like it's been in every other vehicle I have every owned) To me, having a good view of all gauges and having easy, intuitive access to all controls is as basic to good design as there is. Hopefully, they will fix this in the .2.

Above rant notwithstanding, I've come to peace with the current display. I never even think of it anymore when I drive (or have leaned to block it out - pun!). Noting blocked is vital, but I find bad engineering to be inexcusable and insulting to the profession.

Last edited by Denny Swift; 03-12-2023 at 06:13 PM.
Old 03-13-2023, 06:32 PM
jtsrenn
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by rgoldm2
mine does not. It will stay in reduced view until you hit the back arrow on the steering wheel regardless of turning off the car
Ditto with mine ('22) However, to reset the trip meter after getting gas I have to revert to the 5 gauge view, then back to the three gauge after reset. THAT took a bit digging around to find out how to do it (reset the meter, not change views). My 991.2 had a physical button for that...

Quick Reply: Does anyone else appreciate this view?