Sponsored by:

Delivery Checklist

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2023, 11:31 PM
99two
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Delivery Checklist

DNFIS a proper delivery checklist, much less one specific to the 992. Borrowed this excerpt from Grim over at the Macan forum to start it off. Hope it helps the lucky ones taking delivery!

PRIOR to delivery

1. If you want the dealer to NOT do something, tell them. For example, some people don’t want holes drilled in the front bumper for plates. If you don’t want them to wash it, then tell them before delivery. The same thing is true every time you take the car in for service. If you don’t want them to touch the paint, tell them.

2. Ask them to ensure all TSBs or campaigns, relevant to your VIN, are applied to the car. Porsche calls updates “campaigns” and anything relevant to your VIN should be applied every visit.

3. If you want something pre-installed, tell them now and provide your salesmen with whatever (e.g., let them hardwire an accessory).

4. If there is some accessory you want, and you are 100% committed to buying the car, buy it now (e.g., aftermarket floor mats). Figure out from the iManual the batteries the keys take. Buy some spares now. Otherwise when they do fail, you will have probably forgotten and have no spare.

5. Call your insurance and get it straight now. Arrange financing as necessary.

6. Download the "Good to Know" app for your smartphone. You will then have the manual with you when you have the phone with you.

SCHEDULE delivery

1. Schedule delivery early in the morning when you have time for this. DO not schedule for the evening or Friday afternoon. Be prepared to take many hours at the dealer between doing the paperwork and going over everything.

2. Be sure to take your spouse. Two sets of eyes are much better than one. If both people will drive the car, then they both should hear everything. Try not to bring anyone else that can detract you from concentrating.

3. Do not schedule anything else for the day. It might be too stressful. Seriously, one thing at a time. You will want to get the car home and go over it yourself IN THE DAYLIGHT.

4. If you want clear bra, make the appointment now so you can have it done immediately after delivery.

5. READ the online manual now. Yes, lots of people do not like to read manuals. Your choice but you just spent a small fortune on this car. It might be a good idea.

ACTUAL DELIVERY

You can Google and read lots of lists. Here is what I did. I suggest both you and your spouse do this together.

1. Make sure the actual VIN on the car matches all the paperwork (e.g., registration)

2. The dealer will most likely force you to go through their finance department even if you hand them a wad of cash. This will be the upsell point. What you buy is up to you. The following is my opinion. The wheel and tire insurance can be worthwhile depending upon the expense of the wheels and the roads in your area. A couple of flats and it pays for itself. Everything else you can probably buy cheaper on your own.

3. Make sure all your options are there. You don’t want to get home and find that expensive option you ordered is missing. People make mistakes.

4. If tradition is important to you, make sure the pointy part of the PAG crest points to the valve stem. If not, tell the dealer to fix it.

5. Make sure the floor mats, and any other accessories, are actually installed and not just sitting in the trunk.

6. Walk around the car and ensure no dents/scratches AND check the interior. If your better half is there, use two sets of eyes. If something is wrong, have the dealer fix it. Do not take the car home until it meets your satisfaction.

7. Let the dealer do their demonstration of features. Pay attention. After awhile your eyes will start to glaze over. Wake up. You really don’t want to miss it.

8. If you get the memory seats, insist that the dealer show you how they work, particularly the comfort settings and memory.

9. If you care about it, make sure the dealer has not applied any advertising to your vehicle.

10. Have the dealer go over the MFD in detail. There are many screens and you customize the entire car through the MFD.

a. In the system screen, have them customize the lines to see what you want in there.

b. Go to the tire pressure screen and check the tire pressures and compare to what you read in the manual. (I do not know if the Macan has “comfort settings”. Regardless, have them set the tire pressures the way you want them, not how they want them.)

c. Have the dealer upload your smart phone settings (all phones) right then and there. They can do this quickly. You will need to take time to figure it out later.

11. Inspect your trunk. Make sure the KEY for the wheel locks is there and ALL the tools (and spare, of course). The key for the wheel lock, while cheap to replace, might need to be special ordered. It's not an items usually stocked. Check your owner's manual for the correct torque for the wheel lugs. NEVER let anyone touch them with a power tool. Use a proper torque wrench and always be sure you get back that key. You really do not want to lose it.

12. Make sure you get two keys and keep them separate (e.g., one to spouse and one to you). Do not lose them. They are expensive to replace and an aggravation as the dealer will most likely need to order them and program them. This can take days.

13. Ask whatever questions you have and have them show you anything you need demonstrated. You paid for the car. They work for you.

14. Check the mileage. It should be very, very low for an ordered car and not used for test drives.

15. Make sure you are introduced to the Service and Parts Department.

16. Insist they give you the window sticker.

17. Make sure you get the complete owners book/warranty package.
The following 6 users liked this post by 99two:
23 gts (06-30-2023), balboa (02-26-2023), drSedz (02-26-2023), Motorin Mark (02-26-2023), RedRockTaylor (03-18-2023), txpackers (02-26-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-25-2023, 11:41 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,189 Likes on 3,026 Posts

I don’t understand the “bring your spouse” suggestion. I’ve been married almost 30 years. There’s been at least a half dozen cars and heck, every motorcycle, where my spouse first saw it either in the driveway or garage.😜
The following 4 users liked this post by detansinn:
cwbrown (02-26-2023), Fullyield (02-26-2023), Motorin Mark (02-26-2023), Yojeffo (02-26-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 12:10 AM
Yojeffo
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
I don’t understand the “bring your spouse” suggestion. I’ve been married almost 30 years. There’s been at least a half dozen cars and heck, every motorcycle, where my spouse first saw it either in the driveway or garage.😜
That ^..... Same stats.
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (02-26-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 12:27 AM
Motorin Mark
Pro

Received 448 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
Completely agree, we all know we are probably going to have to listen to a raft of Sh*t just for buying these toys......I rather pretend to listen while I'm looking at my already purchased cars and bikes......

Not saying two more eyes are not better, just feel like my older brother has a bit better interest/passion/concern for my 911 than my wife has.
Old 02-26-2023, 08:39 AM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 930 Likes on 489 Posts

"12. Make sure you get two keys and keep them separate (e.g., one to spouse and one to you). Do not lose them. They are expensive to replace and an aggravation as the dealer will most likely need to order them and program them. This can take days."

This took me over a year! Also, make sure the blade key is in the spare key. My dealer missed this part which took another several months!
Old 02-26-2023, 10:31 AM
russbert
Burning Brakes

Received 733 Likes on 346 Posts

l always take my spouse because she is as big of a Porsche fanatic as I am, having owned 4 of her own. She's definitely a keeper.
The following 4 users liked this post by russbert:
detansinn (02-26-2023), malibuboy (02-26-2023), pinion (02-26-2023), TK42ONE (02-26-2023)
Old 02-26-2023, 11:43 AM
Shambler
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 138 Posts

One reason to "bring your spouse" is so that both names on the registration for the car.
Out of convivence, I have been the only person at the last few purchases and my wife's name is not on the registration.

No big deal...unless I was to pass away, then the cars likely need to go through a formal ownership change which could even involve probate.

As I'm still alive, I learned this from another situation I watched from a distance.
Old 02-26-2023, 04:28 PM
balboa
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 13 Posts

And, if possible, arrange to be at the dealership to watch the car being delivered off the transport truck! Great pics and lasting memories.

Old 02-26-2023, 09:16 PM
itrocks4u
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 120 Posts

What does this mean:

4. If tradition is important to you, make sure the pointy part of the PAG crest points to the valve stem. If not, tell the dealer to fix it.
Old 02-26-2023, 09:21 PM
Triathlonkid
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by 99two
DNFIS a proper delivery checklist, much less one specific to the 992. Borrowed this excerpt from Grim over at the Macan forum to start it off. Hope it helps the lucky ones taking delivery!

PRIOR to delivery

1. If you want the dealer to NOT do something, tell them. For example, some people don’t want holes drilled in the front bumper for plates. If you don’t want them to wash it, then tell them before delivery. The same thing is true every time you take the car in for service. If you don’t want them to touch the paint, tell them.

2. Ask them to ensure all TSBs or campaigns, relevant to your VIN, are applied to the car. Porsche calls updates “campaigns” and anything relevant to your VIN should be applied every visit.

3. If you want something pre-installed, tell them now and provide your salesmen with whatever (e.g., let them hardwire an accessory).

4. If there is some accessory you want, and you are 100% committed to buying the car, buy it now (e.g., aftermarket floor mats). Figure out from the iManual the batteries the keys take. Buy some spares now. Otherwise when they do fail, you will have probably forgotten and have no spare.

5. Call your insurance and get it straight now. Arrange financing as necessary.

6. Download the "Good to Know" app for your smartphone. You will then have the manual with you when you have the phone with you.

SCHEDULE delivery

1. Schedule delivery early in the morning when you have time for this. DO not schedule for the evening or Friday afternoon. Be prepared to take many hours at the dealer between doing the paperwork and going over everything.

2. Be sure to take your spouse. Two sets of eyes are much better than one. If both people will drive the car, then they both should hear everything. Try not to bring anyone else that can detract you from concentrating.

3. Do not schedule anything else for the day. It might be too stressful. Seriously, one thing at a time. You will want to get the car home and go over it yourself IN THE DAYLIGHT.

4. If you want clear bra, make the appointment now so you can have it done immediately after delivery.

5. READ the online manual now. Yes, lots of people do not like to read manuals. Your choice but you just spent a small fortune on this car. It might be a good idea.

ACTUAL DELIVERY

You can Google and read lots of lists. Here is what I did. I suggest both you and your spouse do this together.

1. Make sure the actual VIN on the car matches all the paperwork (e.g., registration)

2. The dealer will most likely force you to go through their finance department even if you hand them a wad of cash. This will be the upsell point. What you buy is up to you. The following is my opinion. The wheel and tire insurance can be worthwhile depending upon the expense of the wheels and the roads in your area. A couple of flats and it pays for itself. Everything else you can probably buy cheaper on your own.

3. Make sure all your options are there. You don’t want to get home and find that expensive option you ordered is missing. People make mistakes.

5. Make sure the floor mats, and any other accessories, are actually installed and not just sitting in the trunk.

6. Walk around the car and ensure no dents/scratches AND check the interior. If your better half is there, use two sets of eyes. If something is wrong, have the dealer fix it. Do not take the car home until it meets your satisfaction.

7. Let the dealer do their demonstration of features. Pay attention. After awhile your eyes will start to glaze over. Wake up. You really don’t want to miss it.

8. If you get the memory seats, insist that the dealer show you how they work, particularly the comfort settings and memory.

9. If you care about it, make sure the dealer has not applied any advertising to your vehicle.

10. Have the dealer go over the MFD in detail. There are many screens and you customize the entire car through the MFD.

a. In the system screen, have them customize the lines to see what you want in there.

b. Go to the tire pressure screen and check the tire pressures and compare to what you read in the manual. (I do not know if the Macan has “comfort settings”. Regardless, have them set the tire pressures the way you want them, not how they want them.)

c. Have the dealer upload your smart phone settings (all phones) right then and there. They can do this quickly. You will need to take time to figure it out later.

11. Inspect your trunk. Make sure the KEY for the wheel locks is there and ALL the tools (and spare, of course). The key for the wheel lock, while cheap to replace, might need to be special ordered. It's not an items usually stocked. Check your owner's manual for the correct torque for the wheel lugs. NEVER let anyone touch them with a power tool. Use a proper torque wrench and always be sure you get back that key. You really do not want to lose it.

12. Make sure you get two keys and keep them separate (e.g., one to spouse and one to you). Do not lose them. They are expensive to replace and an aggravation as the dealer will most likely need to order them and program them. This can take days.

13. Ask whatever questions you have and have them show you anything you need demonstrated. You paid for the car. They work for you.

14. Check the mileage. It should be very, very low for an ordered car and not used for test drives.

15. Make sure you are introduced to the Service and Parts Department.

16. Insist they give you the window sticker.

17. Make sure you get the complete owners book/warranty package.
This is really fantastic. I just took delivery and wish I saw all this
Old 02-26-2023, 09:31 PM
toph4242
Rennlist Member

Received 2,570 Likes on 870 Posts

Originally Posted by itrocks4u
What does this mean:

On the 4 wheels we obviously have the Porsche Crest... It is Porsche TRADITION to have each one of those crests (the point at the bottom of the crest) Point directly at the valve stem cap where the air goes into the tire. It is rooted in racing/a general Porsche fact so pit crews could find the valve stem faster during pit stops to check tire pressure without having to look for it... not all Porsche guys are aware of it, but most technicians at the dealerships will keep with tradition and make sure the center caps are positioned correctly after services and tire changes etc... Its just one of those "If you know, you know" Porsche traditions
Old 02-26-2023, 09:48 PM
Tkim
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by toph4242
On the 4 wheels we obviously have the Porsche Crest... It is Porsche TRADITION to have each one of those crests (the point at the bottom of the crest) Point directly at the valve stem cap where the air goes into the tire. It is rooted in racing/a general Porsche fact so pit crews could find the valve stem faster during pit stops to check tire pressure without having to look for it... not all Porsche guys are aware of it, but most technicians at the dealerships will keep with tradition and make sure the center caps are positioned correctly after services and tire changes etc... Its just one of those "If you know, you know" Porsche traditions
What do they do with the crest on center lock wheels?
Old 02-26-2023, 10:13 PM
toph4242
Rennlist Member

Received 2,570 Likes on 870 Posts

Originally Posted by Tkim
What do they do with the crest on center lock wheels?
Better believe they have a process to ensure torquing them to the proper spec and pointed in the proper direction... No idea what that process is, but I have full confidence that it exists haha
Old 02-26-2023, 10:39 PM
TK42ONE
Rennlist Member

Received 386 Likes on 178 Posts

Now I am going to have to look at mine...

Quick Reply: Delivery Checklist