Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

992 GTS with PASM (Raised 10MM)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2023, 04:47 PM
drspeed991
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

I dont even have 1k miles on my gts yet. Its rear drive with rear steer. The only one area the ride really troubles me is on the highway when you hit an expansion joint and it feels like a rose jointed DE car for a moment. I too have the P Zeros and I too played with the pressures to no improvement. I'm a Michelin guy. Perhaps a Pilot Sport 4S has a softer sidewall?

Not to bash the car, because it truly is amazing, but I find that the sport suspension setting is actually the better choice most of the time. The non sport setting allows for more wheel articulation and it just doesn't feel in line with the rest of the suspension tuning.

I clearly see why the engineers chose to leave the standard suspension on the targa GTS...

DRP
Old 05-18-2023, 04:16 AM
TheDoctor01
3rd Gear

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drspeed991
I dont even have 1k miles on my gts yet. Its rear drive with rear steer. The only one area the ride really troubles me is on the highway when you hit an expansion joint and it feels like a rose jointed DE car for a moment. I too have the P Zeros and I too played with the pressures to no improvement. I'm a Michelin guy. Perhaps a Pilot Sport 4S has a softer sidewall?

Not to bash the car, because it truly is amazing, but I find that the sport suspension setting is actually the better choice most of the time. The non sport setting allows for more wheel articulation and it just doesn't feel in line with the rest of the suspension tuning.

I clearly see why the engineers chose to leave the standard suspension on the targa GTS...

DRP
I have a cabriolet GTS normal PASM in route as a daily. In line with your last comment, do you think the cabriolet GTS which is heavier than coupe and closer to Targa maybe better served with normal PASM? How does sport setting in normal PASM on cab GTS handle/ride?
Old 05-21-2023, 10:14 AM
gthal
Pro

Received 537 Likes on 203 Posts

To be honest, I'm a bit surprised by comments that the GTS caught people off guard or does not "ride well" because it is very stiff. Yes, it is a stiff car even in Normal mode. It's a freaking sports car!?!? Isn't that part of a sports car experience? My C8 Corvette in normal/comfort mode was soft and I never used that suspension setting because it didn't feel like a sports car. It felt like I was driving a BMW 3 series unless I had it in the firmest suspension setting. I'm not debating that the GTS is firm in the SPASM set up but isn't that exactly what it is supposed to be? Isn't that part of the experience people sign up for? We also know it has the firmest spring rates of any non GT 911. We also know it has less noise dampening so it's louder. All part of the character of a sports car.

If it was softer, I would be disappointed and miss the "sports car" feel and experience. I would say the same thing about tire noise. Yes, there is tire noise but it isn't anywhere near as loud as I expected based on the reviews I've seen. I don't notice it much over the engine/exhaust noise in the GTS Even as stiff and loud as it is, it is very usable as a DD in my opinion.

I'm not judging or debating the fact some people might find it too stiff, I'm just suggesting it is exactly what it should be for what the car is. If someone is not happy with that, I would think another "sporty" luxury car (Audi, BMW, or sedan Porsche) is probably what they REALLY wanted and bought the 911 for the wrong reason. If anyone read/watched the reviews when the GTS came out, it was made VERY clear it was more aggressively damped and less noise insolation vs. an S or base. Unless someone bought a GTS without reading anything about it, there really should be no surprises IMO.

OP... is aesthetics matter, the ride height of a PASM based GTS would bug me. That can be solved, however, as you know. The question then becomes do you want or will miss the firmer suspension and the character that it gives the car?

Last edited by gthal; 05-21-2023 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-21-2023, 10:25 AM
Spiffx
Pro

Received 702 Likes on 299 Posts

Ideal would be having a **** that you can turn from track mode to Saturday night with gf comfort. I’ve heard Ferrari does this really well. I’ll never know though because I’ll never buy no Ferrari.
Old 05-21-2023, 10:30 AM
Spiffx
Pro

Received 702 Likes on 299 Posts

All the GTS videos and reviews I’ve watched up until now, referred to the GTS as the “sweet spot”. Honestly, that just depends on what the person is looking for. After months reading reviews, reading Rennlist and watching YouTube videos, I came to the realization that my sweet spot is a RWD Carrera S Coupe with PASM (not S-PASM).

To each their own. I just wished it had been easier to arrive to that conclusion. I wished this video had been available much longer before:

The following 3 users liked this post by Spiffx:
joydrive (05-21-2023), Rubystar (03-10-2024), Staffie Guy (01-10-2024)
Old 05-22-2023, 02:03 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by AnandN
For a street car, sport PASM will deliver a harsh jittery ride unless the roads are super smooth. You will also not miss PDCC or RAS on a street car IMO. More things to break. Centerlocks are also a pain but nothing you can do about it
Very helpful info; thank you. I'm considering a C2, which cannot be ordered with any of that (SPASM, PDCC, or RAS), and don't want them. Or even a sunroof. But was curious on how much I would be missing for canyon runs (no tracking). Glad to learn not too much. I ordered a '16 Cayman GTS loaded to the gills, with every performance option, and even though I absolutely loved it in the twisties, regretted getting the sport suspension (non-adjustable back then) and 20" wheels, because my wife didn't tolerate the ride at all. And I didn't tolerate it on trips to get to the twisties either (ultra noisy too), so it mostly sat in the garage until I decided to sell it (at a significant loss, I may add, due to $40K+ in options). This time I want something streetable, but at the same time satisfying to drive in canyons at a very spirited pace, but not at breakneck speeds. Seems like a base Carrera with 20/21" wheels, 14-way leather package seats, PSE, sport chrono, and no sunroof (lower CG), should handle pretty close to a C2S with SPASM IMO, while being more comfortable.

Originally Posted by tosammann
C4GTS (with PASM). I chose PASM given that (A) the car is a daily, and (B) I’m a weekend canyon carver, but don’t track. Very comfortable during commute, but still incredibly planted in the twisties. No regrets whatsoever.
Glad to read that too, since with the exception of the commuting (I'd use it to travel to the twisties instead), I'd use it the same way for fun. Thank you.

Originally Posted by TuvaD
Do you actually have the noise insulating glass and RAS on a new 911? I do on my 2022 C4 GTS and have driven over 5K miles in city, highway, backroad, and on track. They both make a significant different.
Hey, you're the first I read to mention acoustic glass, so need some input from you; hope you don't mind . Wish Porsche offered the 'acoustic package' of the past, which also included additional insulation for less road noise. Oh well. Anyway, I actually de-selected acoustic glass from my configuration because of one thing: THINNER WINDSHIELD GLASS. WTF? No idea why Porsche messed with that, when the windshield is already too thin IMO... AND laminated. I also didn't like that the option seems to have been made to reduce weight, rather than noise. I'd have MUCH preferred thicker glass, even if heavier, to actually be stronger too. Anyway, my question to you is how much do you estimate they reduce wind noise from a regular Carrera? All windshields are acoustic, so probably just from the side windows, no? The rear quarter windows are not mentioned to be double-pane; just the rear glass. Finally, did you notice any difference in road noise, that maybe Porsche added extra insulation, and didn't mention it on the description? If they added extra insulation for less road noise on rough pavement, I'd probably add it back, and hope for the best. I live in the windy desert, with lots of crap on the roads, so cracked windshields are very common here, hence my concern. Thank you.

Last edited by JCtx; 05-22-2023 at 02:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
grg1 (01-10-2024)
Old 05-22-2023, 03:08 AM
TuvaD
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by elp_jc
Very helpful info; thank you. I'm considering a C2, which cannot be ordered with any of that (SPASM, PDCC, or RAS), and don't want them. Or even a sunroof. But was curious on how much I would be missing for canyon runs (no tracking). Glad to learn not too much. I ordered a '16 Cayman GTS loaded to the gills, with every performance option, and even though I absolutely loved it in the twisties, regretted getting the sport suspension (non-adjustable back then) and 20" wheels, because my wife didn't tolerate the ride at all. And I didn't tolerate it on trips to get to the twisties either (ultra noisy too), so it mostly sat in the garage until I decided to sell it (at a significant loss, I may add, due to $40K+ in options). This time I want something streetable, but at the same time satisfying to drive in canyons at a very spirited pace, but not at breakneck speeds. Seems like a base Carrera with 20/21" wheels, 14-way leather package seats, PSE, sport chrono, and no sunroof (lower CG), should handle pretty close to a C2S with SPASM IMO, while being more comfortable.

Glad to read that too, since with the exception of the commuting (I'd use it to travel to the twisties instead), I'd use it the same way for fun. Thank you.

Hey, you're the first I read to mention acoustic glass, so need some input from you; hope you don't mind . Wish Porsche offered the 'acoustic package' of the past, which also included additional insulation for less road noise. Oh well. Anyway, I actually de-selected acoustic glass from my configuration because of one thing: THINNER WINDSHIELD GLASS. WTF? No idea why Porsche messed with that, when the windshield is already too thin IMO... AND laminated. I also didn't like that the option seems to have been made to reduce weight, rather than noise. I'd have MUCH preferred thicker glass, even if heavier, to actually be stronger too. Anyway, my question to you is how much do you estimate they reduce wind noise from a regular Carrera? All windshields are acoustic, so probably just from the side windows, no? The rear quarter windows are not mentioned to be double-pane; just the rear glass. Finally, did you notice any difference in road noise, that maybe Porsche added extra insulation, and didn't mention it on the description? If they added extra insulation for less road noise on rough pavement, I'd probably add it back, and hope for the best. I live in the windy desert, with lots of crap on the roads, so cracked windshields are very common here, hence my concern. Thank you.
Let me put it this way.

Sitting stationary at the side of a busy road in my 2022 X7 M50i with its thick acoustic glass and masses of sound deadening vs doing the same in my 2022 C4GTS with acoustic glass.

I hear more external noise from vehicles, pedestrians, etc. in my X7. At speed, I hear more direct wind rustle in my X7 from the side windows and windscreen.

I noticed this almost immediately after first collecting my GTS and was shocked. I actually took my X7 to three dealerships to get it “fixed” but was told it’s normal.

In my case then, the thinner acoustic glass on my GTS is doing a stellar job at all speeds, especially improving long distance highway driving.

What it has no significant bearing on though is the very high amount of surface dependent tire and road noise. That’s of course mainly coming through from other areas of the car and contributes the most to the overall in-cabin db level in my GTS being much higher than in my X7.

Also, I can’t speak to its longevity but I’ve certainly had the usual highway stone chips hit the windscreen. No damage yet. Fingers crossed 🤞

Last edited by TuvaD; 05-22-2023 at 03:12 AM.
Old 05-22-2023, 04:23 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Hey, thanks a million for your detailed explanation; greatly appreciated. So seems the acoustic glass is highly effective then, since an X7 is a very quiet vehicle. But I'm disappointed Porsche doesn't do the 'acoustic package' anymore, which used to be $1K, and significantly reduced road noise. Never heard of anybody wanting more road noise, even on a sports car. Now my only question left is this: With all of that road noise, is it worth paying over a grand to reduce wind noise (and getting thinner glass), when the dominant noise will still be tire/road noise? Depending on your answer, I might add it. Where I live, the road noise is ridiculous. Please see a sample of the pristine asphalt prevalent on the highways in this area (took that picture while doing the 3 sisters on my motorcycle last month). And it destroys tires (and probably your skin) too. Ha ha. Anyway, the tire noise while traveling on my ex-2016 Cayman GTS was downright deafening. That was the first and last time my wife rode with me on that car. Thank you.

below .

Last edited by JCtx; 05-22-2023 at 04:26 AM.
Old 05-22-2023, 12:40 PM
TuvaD
Racer

Received 180 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by elp_jc
Hey, thanks a million for your detailed explanation; greatly appreciated. So seems the acoustic glass is highly effective then, since an X7 is a very quiet vehicle. But I'm disappointed Porsche doesn't do the 'acoustic package' anymore, which used to be $1K, and significantly reduced road noise. Never heard of anybody wanting more road noise, even on a sports car. Now my only question left is this: With all of that road noise, is it worth paying over a grand to reduce wind noise (and getting thinner glass), when the dominant noise will still be tire/road noise? Depending on your answer, I might add it. Where I live, the road noise is ridiculous. Please see a sample of the pristine asphalt prevalent on the highways in this area (took that picture while doing the 3 sisters on my motorcycle last month). And it destroys tires (and probably your skin) too. Ha ha. Anyway, the tire noise while traveling on my ex-2016 Cayman GTS was downright deafening. That was the first and last time my wife rode with me on that car. Thank you.

below .
I wouldn’t order another 911 without it. Given your use case though, you might want to consider an entirely different car with lower road noise.

Last edited by TuvaD; 05-22-2023 at 12:56 PM.
Old 01-09-2024, 09:49 PM
69VanNuys
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Lower and Raise Height

Originally Posted by 991.1 Guy
You can always lower it.
Has anyone experienced what is involved with lowering or raising the 10mm? For instance, if factory spec is PASM 10mm lowered, can it be raised?
Old 01-10-2024, 05:08 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by 69VanNuys
Has anyone experienced what is involved with lowering or raising the 10mm? For instance, if factory spec is PASM 10mm lowered, can it be raised?
Setting aside the FAL option, there is no height adjustment between a car with PASM vs S-PASM. The PASM car comes with the standard (highest ride height). S-PASM comes with springs that lower the car by 10mm and dampers tuned to work properly with the shorter and stiffer S-PASM springs. An S-PASM car cannot be raised to PASM height and a PASM car cannot be lowered to S-PASM height unless you actually change the springs.
Old 03-10-2024, 07:31 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,570 Likes on 663 Posts

Since the only difference between the standard SPASM and the optional PASM on the GTS is the springs and the sway bars. It seems that it would/could be “not that expensive” to change from one to the other. If the PASM springs (without the helpers) and the SPASM (with the helpers) both fit on the same struts, then changing would only involve removing the struts, replacing the springs, and reinstalling the struts. Then you’d just have to replace the sway bars. However, if the entire strut assemblies would have to be replaced, it would be a lot more expensive. So if we’re talking only a couple thousand bucks, and it’s reversible, I don’t see any issues with doing a swap. I haven’t seen anything that would really put a price on a PASM to SPASM (or SPASM to PASM) swap.

Last edited by Denny Swift; 03-10-2024 at 07:34 PM.

Quick Reply: 992 GTS with PASM (Raised 10MM)