Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

24 or 25? Days and no engine still counting....

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2023, 12:40 PM
Bezlar
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by EZ E
I called the dealer and they called a local dealer. 800 Porsche sent the flat bed. I saw no lights, no changes in the gages. I felt the punches in the right rear so I pulled over and she locked up. Wheels would not turn, they had to drag it up the flat bed. Porsche sent a guy with no skates. The dealership sees nothing in the data streams. Dealer claims build defect. They will crack the case later to find the failure. Chicago is where I started and Ft Wayne is where she died. The car had 15 miles on when I picked it up. Stopped the first hour to check the car and 45 mins later and topped off.
which dealer.
Old 02-16-2023, 12:48 PM
blackland
Burning Brakes

Received 438 Likes on 255 Posts

It is hard to get any service at a car dealership any more. No loaner cars even with premium brands, I have had issues with BMW, Porsche and Land Rover getting a loaner car. It is a two week wait even if your engine fails. I drove my 2023 Defender three times the week I took delivery (1/6/23) then the CEL came on and it would not start. It was a bad variable valve cam, they said there is no engine damage but who knows? It sat in their shop for 28 days, I was hoping for 30 so I could make them take it back under the lemon law, but I picked it up on Tuesday of this week. Dropped it at my tire ship this morning to get the calipers painted and some better tires put on it and the wheel lock key was missing. They charged me $550 for the wheel lock package and no key. The tire shop drove the car over to the dealer, turns out they do not have even have a master key for these wheel locks because they are not even the correct wheel locks for a Defender, they are some European wheel locks for a Jaguar car. I guess they will have to cut these things off? They told the tire shop manager to just chill out while they figure it out, he called me pissed off because he is at work and needs to get back to his shop.

But I was just thinking if it takes them more than two days to get these wheel locks off I can throw down the lemon law! That will be the magical 30 days in the shop!

Dealerships, the gift that keeps on giving...
Old 02-16-2023, 01:55 PM
John Mclane
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,390 Likes on 753 Posts

My prior car sat at the dealer for 5 months waiting for parts to replace a short block. Hopefully you'll be luckier.
Old 02-16-2023, 02:17 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,145 Likes on 3,010 Posts

Originally Posted by EZ E
Once the engine goes in it should clear the PDK fail since the engine locked.
Having experienced non-Porsche engine failures at speed, I would not presume that the PDK got through the experience unscathed.
Old 02-16-2023, 03:48 PM
EZ E
Pro

Received 398 Likes on 194 Posts

I've had engine failure but it was when I was a very young pilot right next to the airport!! You can shoot golfballs and large birds through engines I play with daily. I've got pictures to prove it. Slice and dice!! I'll load some pictures where I hit 27+ cattle egret while landing Tampa. Sounded like a machine gun hitting the Airbus. Windows covered in blood. I win all ties!! LOL
The following users liked this post:
Schwarz992C4S (02-19-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 03:55 PM
EZ E
Pro

Received 398 Likes on 194 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by detansinn
Having experienced non-Porsche engine failures at speed, I would not presume that the PDK got through the experience unscathed.
I pulled over under my own power and was in park when the failure occurred. Honest wasn't sure I didn't blow a tire. I got out and inspected the car and when I got back in the car shutdown. It's really not a big deal but honest I'd just rather move on and pick up something else. Offers welcome!
Old 02-16-2023, 04:06 PM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,457 Likes on 760 Posts

Sorry to hear this happened.

I was one of the unlucky folks that had a 2014 GT3 at the Port before they had the Engine failures and the "stop sale". Car sat at Port for 6 months until the made new engines, freighted them over from Germany, and replaced at Port. That really sucked. But- Porsche despite how pissed I was I remained calm and professional. Porsche did make it right for the 6 months I did not have her to drive.
detansinn (02-16-2023)
Old 02-16-2023, 10:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 808 Likes on 432 Posts

I would take the new car. Regardless of what you paid you get up to msrp of the broken one. Like you said, 30 days out of service in first 12 months or 3 repair attempts without repair in 12 months is a slam dunk. Who knows the condition of the pdk, and you will take a resale hit on the repaired car. Get a new one and be done with it.
Old 02-17-2023, 06:11 AM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 261 Likes on 151 Posts

This guy's (bad) luck is truly incredible, in the most literal sense.
In hindsight, it's a wonder the car even got out of the parking lot to get on the boat in Emden, to get off the boat under its own power, and to get on the transporter in Jacksonville (or wherever it was offloaded).
Old 02-17-2023, 08:30 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 22992
I would take the new car. Regardless of what you paid you get up to msrp of the broken one. Like you said, 30 days out of service in first 12 months or 3 repair attempts without repair in 12 months is a slam dunk. Who knows the condition of the pdk, and you will take a resale hit on the repaired car. Get a new one and be done with it.
There's no "resale hit" with mechanical repairs. A properly maintained car will be taken apart for services during various points of its lifetime. It's not like this was a collision or accident. Engine replacements with new do happen.
Old 02-17-2023, 07:39 PM
XrussianX
Pro

Received 395 Likes on 175 Posts

There's no "resale hit" with mechanical repairs. A properly maintained car will be taken apart for services during various points of its lifetime. It's not like this was a collision or accident. Engine replacements with new do happen.
Ask the 991 gen GT3 guys if the engine replacement was a hit or not. That generation is currently the lowest priced GT3 of the past gens. I think it’s being downplayed here. I would be a bit worried with the knowledge of mechanicals being replaced so early on a brand new car.
EXFIB (02-18-2023)
Old 02-17-2023, 08:53 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by XrussianX
Ask the 991 gen GT3 guys if the engine replacement was a hit or not. That generation is currently the lowest priced GT3 of the past gens. I think it’s being downplayed here. I would be a bit worried with the knowledge of mechanicals being replaced so early on a brand new car.
There’s a difference between a widespread issue and a single vehicle failure. 992 engine failures for cars in stock form are exceedingly rare.
The following 3 users liked this post by detansinn:
aggie57 (02-18-2023), minn19 (02-17-2023), Tupper (02-17-2023)
Old 02-17-2023, 11:05 PM
XrussianX
Pro

Received 395 Likes on 175 Posts

There’s a difference between a widespread issue and a single vehicle failure. 992 engine failures for cars in stock form are exceedingly rare.
What’s the difference? Both situations the engine is replaced. I personally would be hesitant buying one with engine swap. Bottom line is it’s not the original engine that came with the car. That would eventually reflect on price. Porsche gave those Gt3 engines a 10 year warranty and people are still not valuing them. The proof is in the used car prices
EXFIB (02-18-2023)
Old 02-17-2023, 11:28 PM
breny4104
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by XrussianX
What’s the difference? Both situations the engine is replaced. I personally would be hesitant buying one with engine swap. Bottom line is it’s not the original engine that came with the car. That would eventually reflect on price. Porsche gave those Gt3 engines a 10 year warranty and people are still not valuing them. The proof is in the used car prices
matching serial numbers are important to collectors 50 years from now... for some collectors, but not so much to folks who drive the cars now. I don't think it's a big deal in this case. It wouldn't be to me.
The following 2 users liked this post by breny4104:
detansinn (02-18-2023), icanthelpit (02-18-2023)
Old 02-18-2023, 02:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 808 Likes on 432 Posts

Numbers matching vehicles always have been more desirable, always will be. Maybe no issue selling in a few years. As the car ages you will most certainly have a less desirable vehicle.

Quick Reply: 24 or 25? Days and no engine still counting....