Sponsored by:

Wheel cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2023, 09:22 AM
shoelessjmw
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Wheel cleaning

Just a question on how you are cleaning the inside of the wheels? Do you spray with a cleaner and pressure wash out or do you pull the wheels. After 7k miles, my satin black wheels are all brake dusted up behind the spokes.. Thanks in advance
Old 02-11-2023, 09:36 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,145 Likes on 3,010 Posts

Ceramic coat them. They'll still get dirty, but you won't have to use anything harsh to clean them, which is much better for the paint on the wheels.

You'll also want to get yourself the right tool...

Amazon Amazon

I've recommended the WOOLYWORMIT to dozens of people. It's the perfect tool for this kind of thing. I receive no money or compensation for plugging it. I am just a huge fan as it's the best wheel cleaning tool that I have used. It's also refreshingly devoid of bull**** features. It just works.

The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
Staffie Guy (02-11-2023), vg247 (02-12-2023)
Old 02-11-2023, 09:46 AM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 678 Likes on 440 Posts

One of those, or just use your wash mitt and noodle your hands and forearm behind the spokes and give it a good scrub. Soap and water usually does the trick, although some harsher chemicals might be needed if you have brake dust baked on for 7K miles. Power wash (pressure washer) is fine, just focus on water volume versus too much pressure. Hose works as well.

Then ceramic coat them as this will be a big assist in keeping the dust off you wheels.
Old 02-11-2023, 10:04 AM
rickstd
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 32 Posts

I use the Incredibrush flat brush from Obsessed Garage to get the wheel barrel. To get behind the spokes just takes a microfiber cloth and some elbow grease. I've got the "wheel cleaner" spray but don't see how it does any better than regular car wash soap.
The following users liked this post:
brianja (02-13-2023)
Old 02-11-2023, 12:45 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,970 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by shoelessjmw
Just a question on how you are cleaning the inside of the wheels? Do you spray with a cleaner and pressure wash out or do you pull the wheels. After 7k miles, my satin black wheels are all brake dusted up behind the spokes.. Thanks in advance
What rims do you have? I have the classics which are very easy to clean. I bought one of those multi-brush wheel cleaning kits from Amazon. I don't have to pull my rims as the brushes can reach to the inside edge. I can also stick my arm between the spokes to wipe the rim barrels dry. If you have the RS Spyder rims, you should be able to get back there with a wheel brush.

Alternatively, instead of pulling the rims off the car, you can just jack the car up and clean the inside of the rim barrels from under the car.
Old 02-11-2023, 03:36 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,110 Likes on 668 Posts

Ceramic coating and foam gun with Chemical Guys foaming soap. The Turbo wheels can be quite frustrating if you let it get to you. I've come to terms with it and they look "good enough" for me.
Old 02-11-2023, 04:18 PM
Vicbastige
Burning Brakes

Received 772 Likes on 367 Posts

Ceramic and these:

Amazon Amazon
Old 02-11-2023, 08:53 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,512 Likes on 744 Posts

ceramic coated, long wheel brush, special purpose wheel cleaner...but the most impact made changing pads to Hawk Ceramics. I used to be forced to clean my wheels weekly due to all that dust but now I can go on for weeks and they still look clean.
Old 02-11-2023, 10:10 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 786 Likes on 444 Posts

Ceramic coated, spray with iron remover (don’t do this on PCCB) and wait a couple minutes, then hose off, then I start my wash with soap and water on the entire car including the wheels. Usually not much dirt left to rub off the wheels.
Old 02-11-2023, 10:12 PM
992gts
Racer

Received 253 Likes on 117 Posts

Sonax wheel cleaner for 3 mins, then spray off with pressure washer. Wheels clean up with limited effort
Old 02-11-2023, 10:23 PM
aspan
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 30 Posts

Used to use sonax on my C4S, ceramic works way better for me on the new GTS.
Old 02-11-2023, 11:57 PM
SFAVGUY
Racer

Received 477 Likes on 174 Posts
Default Wheel choice makes all the difference

Old 02-12-2023, 04:55 PM
Dudewithout992
Instructor

Received 179 Likes on 89 Posts

Wheel Wooly's work great. I bought the Microfiber Madness Incredibrush also which is more flexible. Add a couple of detailing brushes to allow access to smaller areas like the lug wells. I've been using P&S Brake Buster as the cleaner. I use Brake Buster and wheel wooly's to also clean the wheel wells.
Old 02-13-2023, 09:25 AM
brianja
Rennlist Member

Received 690 Likes on 268 Posts

I follow a combination of what everyone else here does...

I run different summer and winter wheels & tires, so having them off the car twice a year makes this process a lot simpler.

I ceramic coated the wheels (all surfaces, inside and out, including the backs of the spokes) and brake calipers with Gyeon Mohs Evo. This makes cleaning a breeze and means I don't need anything aside from my regular soap combo for paint to take care of the wheels. I use Gyeon Tire Cleaner for degreasing tires to prevent a build-up of tire dressing.

The Incredibrush FLAT is fantastic for getting the insides of the wheels. Through the years I've used wheel woolies, the EZ Detail brush and various others. The Incredibrush is the best so far and I really like that I can remove the cover and wash it with my mitts afterward to have a fresh start at the next wash. Despite the brushes, I have Exclusive Design wheels in the summer so sometimes when I am feeling lazy I just just stick my hand through with a wash mitt and can take care of it that way.

When I remove the wheels for seasonal changes they get a deep clean (though it really isn't necessary) to get the backs of all spokes, etc.. Every other season I add another coat of ceramic, which takes about 30 minutes.
Old 02-13-2023, 04:26 PM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by rickstd
I use the Incredibrush flat brush from Obsessed Garage to get the wheel barrel. To get behind the spokes just takes a microfiber cloth and some elbow grease. I've got the "wheel cleaner" spray but don't see how it does any better than regular car wash soap.
Exactly. I've tried wheel cleaners and found them to be no more effective than simply wash soap and water. Also had a set of P101 ceramic coated and they didn't deflect dust any more than pre ceramic. I use Wheel Woolies for barrel and haven't gone to back of spokes.

Quick Reply: Wheel cleaning