Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you guys pay when taking delivery?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2023, 12:03 AM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,334 Likes on 2,122 Posts

Are you really trying to present the only option take delivery of said car is for you to come on a Sunday when your bank is closed, dealer won’t accept anything but a wire or certified check, but you don’t know the amount to wire, because you’re going to haggle down on wheel and tire insurance, and key fob replacement coverage, and that’s not doable until the pen and check are in your hand?

Old 02-08-2023, 12:04 AM
TheBeav
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've wired money ahead of time to cover the price of the car and then topped up with credit card for any extras and incidentals. On one occasion we actually agreed to a higher value on my trade at delivery and the dealer ended up cutting me a check sent by FedEx a few days later. Dealer does this all day every day. You're over thinking it.

Last edited by TheBeav; 02-08-2023 at 12:06 AM.
Old 02-08-2023, 12:23 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 4,089 Likes on 2,337 Posts

Originally Posted by c1pher
Aluminum briefcase full of cash like everyone else.
Filled with $1 bills?
Old 02-08-2023, 12:27 AM
Triathlonkid
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by shrimp money
Are you really trying to present the only option take delivery of said car is for you to come on a Sunday when your bank is closed, dealer won’t accept anything but a wire or certified check, but you don’t know the amount to wire, because you’re going to haggle down on wheel and tire insurance, and key fob replacement coverage, and that’s not doable until the pen and check are in your hand?
Lol you seem hypercritical of my post for some reason. I'm sorry if the post somehow offends you but I'm asking because it's my first porsche delivery and the situation seems more difficult than I've experienced in the past at any other dealer like land rover, mercedes etc.

I'm just asking for advice from people and hoping for some prior experience wisdom.
Old 02-08-2023, 12:31 AM
Triathlonkid
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 78 Posts

And yes, in my experience negotiation at the finance desk during checkout has always worked out the best for me in the past. Once we arrive at a number I write the check in front of them and it's done. I show up with a blank check and there is no pre-planning, no going to the bank, no wiring. It has been the easiest method for me...still not understanding why that's frowned upon
Old 02-08-2023, 12:33 AM
Bluehighways
Rennlist Member

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,280 Posts

Personal Check
Old 02-08-2023, 12:49 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,191 Likes on 3,027 Posts

You should know the dollars, taxes, fees, etc going into delivery day. If you’re doing financing, you do that BEFORE delivery day. When you have those things established in advance, it’s a much breezier and simpler transaction, like 10-15 minutes or less. You’re also less likely to buy stuff that you don’t need when you’re in the “box”. Some dealers take advantage of the buyer’s delivery day excitement to tack on additional fees, etc.

If you know the dollars necessary, it’s a lot easier to get a cashier’s check or wire ready in advance of the big day. Most dealers will accept personal checks, especially in the world of remote deposit capture and check scanners. That being said, if you’re young, don’t be surprised if they ask for a bank check or wire.

A buyer negotiating anything on delivery day is negotiating from a weak position. Most buyers will not walk away when the car is right there ready to go — dealers and sales people know this. You don’t have to do too much digging on RennList to find examples of people accepting things that they regretted on delivery day just to get things over with. If you’re looking for a deal on an add-on, you should have that discussion before delivery day.

Good luck on the big day!
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
Noah Fect (02-09-2023), Triathlonkid (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 12:53 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,191 Likes on 3,027 Posts

Originally Posted by Triathlonkid
And yes, in my experience negotiation at the finance desk during checkout has always worked out the best for me in the past. Once we arrive at a number I write the check in front of them and it's done. I show up with a blank check and there is no pre-planning, no going to the bank, no wiring. It has been the easiest method for me...still not understanding why that's frowned upon
I’d caution that this approach is a dealer finance person’s dream. Know your numbers!
The following users liked this post:
Triathlonkid (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 01:05 AM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 683 Likes on 409 Posts

Ok, I didn't fully understand your buying approach until some of your other replies. I was working under the assumption you already negotiated on price and any misc. fees and add ons. Could work to your advantage understanding what additional items you're interested in up front. These are pretty common across all brands, e.g., extended warranty, wheel and tire insurance, in house financing, pre-paid service, PPF, ceramic coating, etc. At some dealers you can't even buy the car without agreeing to purchasing some of these things. A quick conversation with your sales rep should clarify this, as it should be disclosed up front and would be built into the deal. Are you opposed to handling the negotiations virtually? You can speak with the finance manager over the phone and they'll run through all your options. Alternatively, you can go in on a Sunday that you're available and negotiate the whole deal. Put your CC deposit down and make arrangements for full payment (when the bank is open) and pick up the following Sunday. Good luck

The problem is you have to know how much to wire beforehand and I want to negotiate day of.
Old 02-08-2023, 01:05 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 12,054 Likes on 5,250 Posts

I won't know the total amount of the transaction beforehand until day of pick up on a weekend- mainly re: features to add. Usually there is some negotiation on the add ons which will change the final number.
thats a really bad way to buy a car.

really bad.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
detansinn (02-08-2023), rasetsu (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 01:32 AM
bobert75
Racer

Received 736 Likes on 254 Posts

I can't imagine haggling anything on delivery day - that absolutely needs to be done in advance. What I do is show up with a check already written and purposely leave the checkbook at home to make the point (if needed) that they're not getting another dime on top of what we already agreed. Not a fan of wiring money ahead of a purchase so I try to avoid it but I've done it once before for settlement on a house - they demanded the wired money the day before I signed the papers so I demanded the absolute final figures two days before settlement.

And, yea, certified checks are garbage - a guy had one for me last time I sold a vehicle privately so I made him drive us to his nearest bank branch and we waited 45 min or so for them to get me five figures in cash. Fortunately it was summer and I was wearing cargo shorts - they were stuffed full of bills before that guy got my truck & its keys!

I never heard of delivery on a Sunday...
Old 02-08-2023, 07:03 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,135 Likes on 684 Posts

Forget the payment method - I don't know of any P dealers that are open on Sundays. Certainly none of the 5 or 6 I have visited over the years.

What am I missing?
dixonk (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 07:31 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,508 Likes on 2,828 Posts

When I've purchased cars from out of state dealers, I wire the money and then they ship the car. Paying in advance of receipt of the car is pretty standard, especially when dealing with a reliable entity like a Porsche dealer.

Wire transfers of this size have to be approved by the sending bank and it has to clear the Fed wire and then get posted by the receiving bank. That can take 24 hours+ and won't happen on a Sunday.

Most dealers don't accept personal checks, especially for this large an amount. I don't think anyone takes cashier checks anymore.

I also don't think that last second negotiation of add-ons is your best bet. Nevermind that most add-ons are a loser, financially, your bargaining position is not as good, IMO. Everyone knows you're not walking away, the dealer has the advantage - he can sell that car to anyone.

Just settle the price, pay the man and take your car.
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
rasetsu (02-08-2023), Triathlonkid (02-08-2023)
Old 02-08-2023, 08:38 AM
Cjack55
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bitcoin?
Old 02-08-2023, 09:01 AM
icanthelpit
Burning Brakes

Received 878 Likes on 416 Posts

What this is not a troll post I've always written a check in real time it's dumb to pre plan # in advance you lose discount negotiation on add ons which I understand some people may not get but I always get it and I can usually get them to drop the cost when I'm in the checkout seat.
Your rebuttal is weak. If the discount is worth it, you will find the time to show up.

Quick Reply: How do you guys pay when taking delivery?