Sponsored by:

Tiny rock chip

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2023, 03:46 PM
GTS2022
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Tiny rock chip

I had a tiny rock chip on my windshield on one of the beautiful southern highways. In my state there is no deductible windshield repair/replacement.

it’s small but deep. I don’t feel replacing OEM windshield on a tiny but a prominent chip. The way it seems, it’s likely going to expand.

I’m thinking of having it resin sealed. Alternatively I can claim for replacement once it expands.

Looking for fellow rennlisters opinions.

Thank you
Old 02-05-2023, 03:51 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,772 Likes on 5,138 Posts

I would first try a mobile windsheild repair service (Safelite is a good place to start) and see what they say.

They can do wonders nowadays.
The following 3 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
detansinn (02-05-2023), robert310 (02-05-2023), Scott P (02-05-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 03:58 PM
toph4242
Rennlist Member

Received 2,570 Likes on 870 Posts

I live in MA where windshield replacement is included in your insurance, however, I have had to do this twice before (Once on a 987 Cayman S and once on a 991 C2S)... My insurance company/ the installer - Safelite was going to install an American made windshield (3rd party sourced) not the OEM glass from Germany/Czech Republic where the OEM glass is made... I had to fight a bit with my insurance company on this. The first time I made the mistake or pushing back on Safelite, who ended up installing the correct glass but made me pay the difference between the two (about $400)... The second time I went straight to my insurance agent who I have a good relationship with and his office agreed to pay for the OEM glass on the 911... Just be sure to ask the question of whether it is OEM, where it is manufactured etc... Because this can throw off the heating mechanism in the glass, the built in antennas, but most importantly the Rain sensing wipers etc if you have those things....
Old 02-05-2023, 04:04 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 670 Posts

I’d just get it injected. I’ve had several done over years (not on a Porsche though). The repair should be effectively invisible and last forever. If this is your first small windshield crack, I’d guess you’re either a relatively new driver or you’re really lucky. Those are quite common in my experience.
The following users liked this post:
toph4242 (02-05-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 04:09 PM
GTS2022
Racer

Received 165 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny Swift
I’d just get it injected. I’ve had several done over years (not on a Porsche though). The repair should be effectively invisible and last forever. If this is your first small windshield crack, I’d guess you’re either a relatively new driver or you’re really lucky. Those are quite common in my experience.
Thank you for advice. I have had windshield replaced in past but don’t want to go thru the hassle of arguing with insurance with a tiny rock chip. Plus I’m just worried about them recalibrating sensors. I’ll go to local Safelite place.
toph4242 (02-05-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 04:50 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,145 Likes on 3,010 Posts

This looks very repairable if you get to it quickly. You can even do it yourself. Keep one of these in your car at all times...
https://www.permatex.com/products/sp...ld-repair-kit/
(available at your local auto parts store or Amazon)

I've done field repairs of windshields on road trips using one of these kits. In fact, I just did a fix this morning. The $15-18 kit delivers professional results.

Here's a how-to video. Totally not intimidating.

Last edited by detansinn; 02-05-2023 at 04:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
Felispeed (02-07-2023), Staffie Guy (02-06-2023)
Old 02-05-2023, 06:57 PM
Denny Swift
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 670 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS2022
Thank you for advice. I have had windshield replaced in past but don’t want to go thru the hassle of arguing with insurance with a tiny rock chip. Plus I’m just worried about them recalibrating sensors. I’ll go to local Safelite place.
There shouldn’t be any hassle, and your insurance company should pay for it without raising your rates or any argument. They probably get claims for these literally every day. Getting it injected is extremely easy and inexpensive. But if you let it go too long and the crack spreads, you’ll have to get the whole windshield replaced. Even then, I think it would be very straightforward, but from your photo, it looks like a standard, simple injection repair.
Old 02-05-2023, 11:08 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

my 992 got a new windshield after 3 months. My dealer in Oklahoma went above and beyond to make sure the job was done perfectly and there was no collateral damage.
The following 2 users liked this post by Domer911:
bmedude (02-05-2023), GTS2022 (02-06-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 06:24 AM
81romeo
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 32 Posts

With my previous 992 4S Convertible I got very unlucky with stone chips, which resulted in one windshield replacement (after 2 stone chips in just one day!) and one windshield being fixed, all this in 6 months.
I wasn't very happy with the repair performed by Autoglass here in the UK, as the chip was still visible. My insurance charged me a small excess for the replacement, which did not affect my non-claim bonus. Got OEM windshield.
GTS2022 (02-06-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 11:55 AM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,414 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
This looks very repairable if you get to it quickly. You can even do it yourself. Keep one of these in your car at all times...
https://www.permatex.com/products/sp...ld-repair-kit/
(available at your local auto parts store or Amazon)

I've done field repairs of windshields on road trips using one of these kits. In fact, I just did a fix this morning. The $15-18 kit delivers professional results.

Here's a how-to video. Totally not intimidating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAsUG-jbLlM
That is a great video. Hope I do not need to ever refer to it. But I know where it is in case.

detansinn (02-06-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 12:07 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,145 Likes on 3,010 Posts

Originally Posted by Staffie Guy
That is a great video. Hope I do not need to ever refer to it. But I know where it is in case.
I always keep a kit in the glovebox, because it has everything you need. I once did a repair on my 911 outside of a diner and let it cure in the sun while I had lunch. Totally takes the stress out of getting a chip on the road.
Staffie Guy (02-06-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 12:32 PM
jjw285
Racer

Received 219 Likes on 101 Posts

Just have it filled professionally. It will be free, the insurance company will waive your deductible.

Understand that eventually, it will likely fail. At that point, just make sure your insurance carrier will replace with OEM glass.

Nothing else to say about it. Its a non-chargeable claim -- your rates wont be impacted.

I'm in insurance for two decades.
GTS2022 (02-06-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 12:42 PM
adrianp89
Pro

Received 434 Likes on 199 Posts

I had my windshield replaced on my Ram recently. I dreaded it... a smaller chip than that turned into a 12" crack in about a week. I knew a guy that manages the local Safelite shop so he pushed and got me an OEM windshield (a must) and said his best installers are on site and the less experienced ones are the ones that travel. So... if you replace... take it to them and request their best installer. Mine turned out great.
Old 02-06-2023, 01:17 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,970 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS2022
I had a tiny rock chip on my windshield on one of the beautiful southern highways. In my state there is no deductible windshield repair/replacement.

it’s small but deep. I don’t feel replacing OEM windshield on a tiny but a prominent chip. The way it seems, it’s likely going to expand.

I’m thinking of having it resin sealed. Alternatively I can claim for replacement once it expands.

Looking for fellow rennlisters opinions.

Thank you
I wouldn't replace the OEM windshield. It has antennas in it and my glass installer has done one so far and says it's one of the more difficult installations. In my state (AZ) we also have zero deductible glass repair and replacement but they won't replace the windshield unless it's a fairly sizable crack, so I would recommend repairing the chip.

I used the kit and the techniques recommended in this youtube video:

So far, I have used the kit and followed the youtube instructions to a T to fix two chips - one for my wife's Toyota Highlander and one for my M3. Both repairs came out perfectly. The chips are virtually unnoticeable. I used to have the glass repair guy come out to fix these chips but they never did a very good job and the chip was always still noticeable. So now I do it myself and it's almost like there is no crack at all in the glass.

It only takes about 20 minutes and I don't have to fuss with scheduling an appointment and waiting around for some guy who's going to come out and do a mediocre job.
Felispeed (02-07-2023)
Old 02-06-2023, 10:39 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Originally Posted by jjw285
Just have it filled professionally. It will be free, the insurance company will waive your deductible. Understand that eventually, it will likely fail. At that point, just make sure your insurance carrier will replace with OEM glass. Nothing else to say about it. Its a non-chargeable claim -- your rates wont be impacted. I'm in insurance for two decades.
My policy went up after I claimed a broken windshield. Is this state by state? Thanks.
GTS2022 (02-06-2023)

Quick Reply: Tiny rock chip