Sponsored by:

Looking for a c4s 20-22 couple questions to ask

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2023, 09:03 PM
Bezlar
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Looking for a c4s 20-22 couple questions to ask

Hello, we have decided to pull the trigger and get our first 911. I just have a couple questions.

For you guys with 20’s anything I should be watching for. Early problems with it being the first year 992?

how important is a cpoed car? I’m probably going to tune it anyway so I figured engine warranty would be void from that point on. I am coming from Audi where we modded everything. Lol

i have been watching this one for couple months and we want it but am afraid of why it isn’t selling.
WP0CB2A9XLS262147
very low miles.

Will any Porsche dealer run the vin and give me service records?

thanks
Old 01-25-2023, 10:15 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,334 Likes on 2,122 Posts

It’s not selling because nearly 9k miles, and less than 10 months left on factory warranty.

Last edited by shrimp money; 01-25-2023 at 10:16 PM.
Old 01-25-2023, 10:41 PM
Bezlar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shrimp money
It’s not selling because nearly 9k miles, and less than 10 months left on factory warranty.
Car only has 2700 miles
Old 01-25-2023, 10:45 PM
Bezlar
Rennlist Member

https://www.universitymitsubishi.com...cb2a9xls262147
Old 01-26-2023, 01:00 AM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Received 690 Likes on 325 Posts

I wouldn't drop $150g on a non-cpo 911. Also think it's not a super desirable build sheet. These cars can sit for a long time. Local dealer has been sitting on a couple cpo 911s for a year. Desirable ones like GT3s too.

Everyone is probably thinking what you're thinking and sitting on the sidelines.
The following users liked this post:
pkalhan (01-26-2023)
Old 01-26-2023, 01:30 AM
Triathlonkid
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 78 Posts

I'm not a used car expert but it's a 2020 used car for $161k. My newly spec'd S is $176k and I built it with lots of options from leather to performance stuff to carbon etc. This car has a good amount of options but also missing some luxury options and it's used but only $15k less. I don't see why one would want to buy a 3 year old used car for that high of a price but that's just me
pkalhan (01-26-2023)
Old 01-26-2023, 02:19 AM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Received 683 Likes on 409 Posts

Can share my experience looking seriously the past 4 months. It helps to narrow down your must haves vs. nice to have, this way you're not wasting time researching cars you're not going to buy. For some, a must have is X price, color, options, mileage, CPO, # of owners, condition. etc. If you take this car you're considering as an example, how does it stack up against what you desire most in a 992? My perspective on some of your questions:
  • It's Miami Blue, tends to be a love it or wouldn't buy it color. Personally, I like MB and think it looks great on the 911.
  • The interior is a light color, and that could be a concern for some. I may not be seeing it clearly in the pics, but the drivers seat doesn't look clean, especially for a car with 2,700 miles. Might be my PC, but worth looking at if you care about these things.
  • On that note - the seller is doing a poor job marketing the car. Again, to my eye, this was pulled out early morning with dew on it still, not detailed, and pics taken. Can't underestimate the value for good pictures for a car in this price range.
  • It's a convertible, not sure the ratio of cab to coupe but my gut says if this was a coupe with black interior (priced right) it would be sold already. Nothing wrong with a cab, just a more particular buyer in some cases.
  • Pricing, most look at where the ask is compared to its MSRP. Then factor in the market, condition mileage, etc. The more the car doesn't align with your must haves you're likely going to be concerned about price.
  • Alternatively, when you find your perfect car, buy it. I happily pay more for a car that ticks all the boxes, and there's a lot to check.
  • CPO, definitely a nice to have and for some a must. Porsche dealers know this and leverage this advantage. You can also assume the remaining CPO warranty when purchasing from a private party. In addition, can also look at aftermarket warranties such a EasyCare and Fidelity. You have options.
  • Records, Porsche dealers (at least it's been my experience) won't release receipts without the consent of the owner. On the MB one, it looks like it's been serviced a couple times, which is good. Where you might find it falls short - is it up to date based on time and mileage. This is where getting CPO and purchasing from a Porsche dealer has upside. Not claiming CPO is the end all be all, but when done right the vehicles has to be brought up to its current maintenance to qualify. So, if you're a stickler for that then do your homework, and or just be prepared to have it done under your ownership.
Bottom line, at least for me, I wouldn't be afraid of buying a car that has been on the lot a while. Rather, biggest mistake is settling on a car that doesn't meet your expectations.

Good luck!
The following 3 users liked this post by CubsFan1:
eagle1960 (01-26-2023), Go Bruins (01-26-2023), pkalhan (01-26-2023)
Old 01-26-2023, 07:03 AM
Bezlar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Triathlonkid
I'm not a used car expert but it's a 2020 used car for $161k. My newly spec'd S is $176k and I built it with lots of options from leather to performance stuff to carbon etc. This car has a good amount of options but also missing some luxury options and it's used but only $15k less. I don't see why one would want to buy a 3 year old used car for that high of a price but that's just me
it’s down to $150. I offered $140 couple weeks ago. They said no.
Old 01-26-2023, 07:09 AM
Bezlar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CubsFan1
Can share my experience looking seriously the past 4 months. It helps to narrow down your must haves vs. nice to have, this way you're not wasting time researching cars you're not going to buy. For some, a must have is X price, color, options, mileage, CPO, # of owners, condition. etc. If you take this car you're considering as an example, how does it stack up against what you desire most in a 992? My perspective on some of your questions:
  • It's Miami Blue, tends to be a love it or wouldn't buy it color. Personally, I like MB and think it looks great on the 911.
  • The interior is a light color, and that could be a concern for some. I may not be seeing it clearly in the pics, but the drivers seat doesn't look clean, especially for a car with 2,700 miles. Might be my PC, but worth looking at if you care about these things.
  • On that note - the seller is doing a poor job marketing the car. Again, to my eye, this was pulled out early morning with dew on it still, not detailed, and pics taken. Can't underestimate the value for good pictures for a car in this price range.
  • It's a convertible, not sure the ratio of cab to coupe but my gut says if this was a coupe with black interior (priced right) it would be sold already. Nothing wrong with a cab, just a more particular buyer in some cases.
  • Pricing, most look at where the ask is compared to its MSRP. Then factor in the market, condition mileage, etc. The more the car doesn't align with your must haves you're likely going to be concerned about price.
  • Alternatively, when you find your perfect car, buy it. I happily pay more for a car that ticks all the boxes, and there's a lot to check.
  • CPO, definitely a nice to have and for some a must. Porsche dealers know this and leverage this advantage. You can also assume the remaining CPO warranty when purchasing from a private party. In addition, can also look at aftermarket warranties such a EasyCare and Fidelity. You have options.
  • Records, Porsche dealers (at least it's been my experience) won't release receipts without the consent of the owner. On the MB one, it looks like it's been serviced a couple times, which is good. Where you might find it falls short - is it up to date based on time and mileage. This is where getting CPO and purchasing from a Porsche dealer has upside. Not claiming CPO is the end all be all, but when done right the vehicles has to be brought up to its current maintenance to qualify. So, if you're a stickler for that then do your homework, and or just be prepared to have it done under your ownership.
Bottom line, at least for me, I wouldn't be afraid of buying a car that has been on the lot a while. Rather, biggest mistake is settling on a car that doesn't meet your expectations.

Good luck!
it’s going to be wife’s car. She hardly ever drives. We already have a new macan gts in Miami blue. We love the color.

I’ve done as much research as I can do on the internet.
seems the car was probably traded in for a mclaren. It sat for sale there very shortly before being I guess auctioned off. The car fax is confusing to me a little.

here are better photos from the mclaren dealer

https://plc.ua/auctions/lot/porsche-...b2a9xls262147/
Old 01-26-2023, 07:14 AM
Bezlar
Rennlist Member

Old 01-26-2023, 07:51 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,191 Likes on 3,027 Posts

Let go and keep looking. You’re obsessing over this particular car.

CPO is the way to go with these cars. You get the comfort of the CPO warranty, but you also get treated like a proper 911 owner by Porsche. I recently picked up a CPO car and have been impressed by how Porsche treats you like you’re the first owner — and I have purchased new Porsche cars, so I have a direct comparison.

You’ve mentioned that this will be a car for your wife. As someone who is coming up to 30 years of marriage, don’t buy something for your husband/wife that might turn into a headache for you. If they run into problems, those problems will become your problems.

As for miles, a 2020 driven only 2700 miles wasn’t driven enough. There will be problems. There will be dried seals. These cars need proper exercise. Frankly, I’d be more comfortable with a nearly four year old car driven 10-20k miles… or more. If you’re looking for a collectible, sure, buy the lowest mileage example that you can find and park it. If you are buying a “driver”, get one that’s been properly exercised. SPOILER ALERT: No 911 Carrera (Base, S, GTS) is a collectible. They make a zillion of these things.
The following 4 users liked this post by detansinn:
aggie57 (01-26-2023), gcurnew (01-26-2023), pkalhan (01-26-2023), vg247 (01-26-2023)
Old 01-26-2023, 07:59 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Received 6,508 Likes on 2,828 Posts

I don't like the '20. I had issues with door handles that never worked properly and a dysfunctional Homelink and too slow PCM. Prefer '22 and above on the 992s.

I'm a big fan of CPO, I personally add at least $5k to the value of a used car that has Porsche CPO. You do lose a lot of that benefit if you decide to tune.

This one looks expensive. What was original MSRP? I definitely would not pay over MSPR on a '20 Cab.
The following 2 users liked this post by rk-d:
miporsche (01-26-2023), Schwarz992C4S (01-26-2023)
Old 01-26-2023, 08:18 AM
mferris
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 139 Posts

I have an Dec 2019 build C2S with most of the available performance and luxury options with 14k miles.

Beyond the gas tank rattle (fixed), cracked shifter **** (replaced), some oddness with dash warnings which were from the battery maintenance system and seem to have dissipated with software updates and a steering column part that fell out (replaced) anything else has not been the cars fault (cracked windshield, flat tire). I am now considering keeping it after factory warranty without an extended warranty or any other protection.

Sure the door handles are a little odd and I use Siri to open my garage doors (which is better than any button, virtual or not) and CarPlay works better wired vs wireless - but it’s still a great, reliable, usable mid life crisis. I keep day dreaming about something else possibly more unique but everything else seems to have more compromises.

Although I did buy a 1993 968 to have the naturally aspirated, stick shift, convertible experience - but that’s the post mid life crisis project car.

Last edited by mferris; 01-26-2023 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-26-2023, 08:40 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,906 Likes on 1,534 Posts

The only real issue I’ve had with my (MY20) car is battery related, well documented here. I also had they gooey windscreen seal and a couple of rattles but all fixed under warranty. I actually prefer the PCM5 system to PCM6.

Seems to me the biggest issue with this car is the price; forget that MSRP of $180k - it’s a $130k car with $50k of options and options, like it or not, are pretty much a write off when it comes to resale.
Old 01-26-2023, 08:41 AM
Bezlar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mferris
I have an Dec 2019 build C2S with most of the available performance and luxury options with 14k miles.

Beyond the gas tank rattle (fixed), cracked shifter **** (replaced), some oddness with dash warnings which were from the battery maintenance system and seem to have dissipated with software updates and a steering column part that fell out (replaced) anything else has not been the cars fault (cracked windshield, flat tire). I am now considering keeping it after factory warranty without an extended warranty or any other protection.

Sure the door handles are a little odd and I use Siri to open my garage doors (which is better than any button, virtual or not) and CarPlay works better wired vs wireless - but it’s still a great, reliable, usable mid life crisis. I keep day dreaming about something else possibly more unique but everything else seems to have more compromises.

Although I did buy a 1993 968 to have the naturally aspirated, stick shift, convertible experience - but that’s the post mid life crisis project car.
everyone says get cpo. I’ve had vw Audi for last 20 years and my cars have never gone back to the dealer ships. I do all my own maintenance. I’m expecting a Porsche to be built better than their siblings. Lol

thanks for all the feedback.
aggie57 (01-26-2023)

Quick Reply: Looking for a c4s 20-22 couple questions to ask