Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior noise level Carrera T

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 12:19 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 936 Likes on 522 Posts

The Harrys Garage (one of the best reviewers on YT) video review of the S, he says its an 80db car. And that was the S, not the T. That's why I didn't bother ordering the Bose radio, you can't hear it anyway with that kind of interior road noise.

The following users liked this post:
soguinness (04-30-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 02:21 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
The Harrys Garage (one of the best reviewers on YT) video review of the S, he says its an 80db car. And that was the S, not the T. That's why I didn't bother ordering the Bose radio, you can't hear it anyway with that kind of interior road noise.
That's one take, another is that you need a better stereo so it sounds clear when you crank it up louder.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike818:
dg108 (05-01-2024), Jeff Whitten (04-29-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 02:57 PM
james6speed
Pro

Received 219 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by kocsis
Now that people have had experience with the T compared to the standard Carrera, has anyone formed a realistic opinion on noise differential? There are cheap noise level meters which would be interesting to deploy. Subjectively, noise bothers folks differently. I’m old and find many restaurants way too noisy to even carry on a conversation. The noise discourages me from going to those restaurants even if the food is excellent. A Porsche with loud interior noise may be similar. Enjoying the rest of the experience but having problems with the noise.
there is a difference between the 911 engine and exhaust noise during acceleration and the potential droning noise that could become tiresome and annoying. I have a T on order and am looking forward to getting my hands on my third 911, but I’m a bit concerned.
My 997 TT has no mufflers on an X-pipe and it's not loud at all inside. Of course it's a Turbo engine, but I can't imagine a T being overly aggressive in the loud department. Also, if you want to hear what drone sounds like, come ride in a turbo with no mufflers lol.
Old 04-28-2024, 04:44 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,041 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Originally Posted by kocsis
Now that people have had experience with the T compared to the standard Carrera, has anyone formed a realistic opinion on noise differential? There are cheap noise level meters which would be interesting to deploy. Subjectively, noise bothers folks differently. I’m old and find many restaurants way too noisy to even carry on a conversation. The noise discourages me from going to those restaurants even if the food is excellent. A Porsche with loud interior noise may be similar. Enjoying the rest of the experience but having problems with the noise.
there is a difference between the 911 engine and exhaust noise during acceleration and the potential droning noise that could become tiresome and annoying. I have a T on order and am looking forward to getting my hands on my third 911, but I’m a bit concerned.
The video I posted above your post gives you a good impression. If you can hear road debris kicking up, it's because the thin insulation makes it a loud cabin.
I've taken my T on a 6k mi roadtrip with the longest stretch being 14hrs of driving time. I like loud music and loud cars but after 4 hrs on the hwy, I had to put my noise cancelling airpods to prevent fatigue.
I have zero issues with PSE. Turn it off and it's very quiet for a sports car. It's mostly tire and debris noise that's the issue. Awesome in short doses. Not great after a few hours.
Old 04-28-2024, 07:04 PM
stjoh
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 74 Posts

If you want to quiet down your T a bit I have a set of front carpets from a Carrera S I'll give you a great deal on.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1392385
Old 04-28-2024, 09:01 PM
Dream in PTS
Burning Brakes

Received 1,040 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
That's why I didn't bother ordering the Bose radio, you can't hear it anyway with that kind of interior road noise.
I agree. I don't think the Bose is worth the upcharge regardless of 911 variant, but it was an especially easy pass for the T.
Old 04-28-2024, 10:15 PM
suffer
Racer

Received 213 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Dream in PTS
I agree. I don't think the Bose is worth the upcharge regardless of 911 variant, but it was an especially easy pass for the T.
Bose is $1,600 to add. That's well worth it over the base audio, even the interior is a bit louder than other models. Everyone's entitled to their opinion, but to say it's not worth it in a car that starts at $125k is a stretch.
BED997 (04-29-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 10:22 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,850 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by Dream in PTS
It was absolutely worth it for me. It is, without a doubt, markedly better than the base stereo…..and $1600 is a steal. I listened to the base before ordering my car and it was an immediate, “no way”!!!
Old 04-30-2024, 06:45 PM
IPA1
Instructor

Received 232 Likes on 78 Posts

Well, this is interesting. Here is my take... As a 992 T owner and having quite a few seat miles in an 992 S, both manuals. I'm also a lover of great audio. The T is awesome sounding inside with high, borderline too high, levels of road noise from rocks and tires. Engine sound is good. Wind noise is pretty good given the glass. Wife says it's very quiet when driving by her. Not a bad combination. The stock T stereo is horrific, so bad some song's are hard to recognize, I ordered Bose but, it was not available. Maybe a moot point given the sound levels. The S is much more refined and quieter overall. Rock and tire noise is greatly subdued. Engine sound is still good, but slightly less. Wind noise, maybe because of the noise insulated glass in the T is a bit more. The S is a good bit more GT oriented than the T in the sound department. Given a choice I'd be in favor of the S recipe. Dont take that to mean I dont love the T. In an S the base stereo sounds much better, I suspect the Bose would be even better. Overall the S is just what you would expect, quieter, more refined, slightly faster and probably better for a long ride. The T, older school feel, tighter, snappier, and did I mention louder overall inside. Either one is a great choice.
The following 3 users liked this post by IPA1:
Icegrill (05-02-2024), suffer (05-01-2024), TimD (05-01-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 06:55 PM
kocsis
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

There are a number of YouTube videos by ResoNix showing a process for noise insulation in a 911. Yes, the car might gain a few pounds of weight, but then again - weight differential among passengers could be greater. It's like buying a carbon bike that's half pound lighter....better for the rider to lose a couple of pounds....
Old 04-30-2024, 09:42 PM
DDubs
5th Gear

Received 26 Likes on 3 Posts

Honestly, the combo of road, engine, and environment noise is what sold me on the T. It was so visceral, I loved it from my first shift. Mine was a CPO. I love the spec. The T came with the Burmester system. I don’t listen to anything but the motor but after a 1500 mile trip it was nice to have. Mostly because my wife loved the audio! It made our trip fantastic.

This is a go out and drive for fun car. I want a raw experience and this car delivers! Loving every miles! Someday I may lean towards TTS, but for now, this is MY perfect car.
Old 04-30-2024, 10:30 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,850 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by IPA1
Well, this is interesting. Here is my take... As a 992 T owner and having quite a few seat miles in an 992 S, both manuals. I'm also a lover of great audio. The T is awesome sounding inside with high, borderline too high, levels of road noise from rocks and tires. Engine sound is good. Wind noise is pretty good given the glass. Wife says it's very quiet when driving by her. Not a bad combination. The stock T stereo is horrific, so bad some song's are hard to recognize, I ordered Bose but, it was not available. Maybe a moot point given the sound levels. The S is much more refined and quieter overall. Rock and tire noise is greatly subdued. Engine sound is still good, but slightly less. Wind noise, maybe because of the noise insulated glass in the T is a bit more. The S is a good bit more GT oriented than the T in the sound department. Given a choice I'd be in favor of the S recipe. Dont take that to mean I dont love the T. In an S the base stereo sounds much better, I suspect the Bose would be even better. Overall the S is just what you would expect, quieter, more refined, slightly faster and probably better for a long ride. The T, older school feel, tighter, snappier, and did I mention louder overall inside. Either one is a great choice.
As far as I know the base stereo is the same between a base/T/S/GTS just the same as the BOSE is identical across those models. The S stereo likely sounded better to you because the cabin is a tad quieter than a T.
Old 05-01-2024, 11:50 AM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,291 Likes on 1,410 Posts

My wife and I are 66 & 64 and as we got older we got less and less tolerant of noise. Having been in my T on trips of 7, 6 & 4.5 hours, she has never complained about the noise nor does it bother me at all. I don't think the 992T is too loud at all, turn off PSE on the highway and rock on.
jpgallo (05-03-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 12:12 PM
shack993
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 125 Posts

I have extensive seat time in a T, Turbo and GT3. The T and GT3 are similar in hearing road noise, rocks, gravel, and engine. The engine in the GT3 is of course much better sounding than the T. The Turbo is a different experience, much more refined and quiet. The T is not too loud but more raw and real. If you add rear seats, the sound is less than without the rear seats.

I did 480 miles in my T yesterday and had a blast. Was super comfortable and listened to the engine, podcasts and music at various points. I was never too fatiqued.
Scott P (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 12:17 PM
kocsis
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for all the input. I look forward to enjoying the sound

Quick Reply: Interior noise level Carrera T