Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a black 992 thread? If not, can we start one?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2023, 07:37 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche.earth
I should clarify I meant the photos in this thread are boring
No need to clarify or walk back; on behalf of black car owners, we are not offended, because we don't care what you think! :-)

To be honest, I actually agree -- black / jbm are a bit boring. I'd do Carmine if I could redo, even though it's a lot louder than I usually prefer. My build was Nachtblau Metallic before Porsche removed it as an option and made it PTS. So I picked Jet Black Metallic. I like it, but some color would be nice. Roads are so boring to look at with every car being white, black, or a shade of grey. Photos of streets in the 70s look completely different.

Last edited by dhirm5; 04-25-2023 at 07:39 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by dhirm5:
evanbahr (01-13-2024), johny221 (04-26-2023), porsche.earth (04-26-2023)
Old 04-26-2023, 04:27 AM
porsche.earth
Racer

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by dhirm5
No need to clarify or walk back; on behalf of black car owners, we are not offended, because we don't care what you think! :-)

To be honest, I actually agree -- black / jbm are a bit boring. I'd do Carmine if I could redo, even though it's a lot louder than I usually prefer. My build was Nachtblau Metallic before Porsche removed it as an option and made it PTS. So I picked Jet Black Metallic. I like it, but some color would be nice. Roads are so boring to look at with every car being white, black, or a shade of grey. Photos of streets in the 70s look completely different.
we're on the same page

So many good colors retired recently..lava was a good one too. I know what you mean about wanting a blue car at first and getting something else.
I drive my black car more at night, more stealthy lol .. colors maybe draw too much attn, unnecessary risk depending on location..
sometimes in az all i see are 19 shades of white cars at a stoplight, mine included....can become very bland, boring
CWM is too good though, no need to change for me...just...plan...for....more...cars..more colors..

Last edited by porsche.earth; 04-26-2023 at 04:31 AM.
Old 04-26-2023, 01:22 PM
Shambler
Racer

Received 264 Likes on 138 Posts

I generally agree. There are too many shades of black, white, silver or grey cars.

I’ve owned many black cars and wanted something more unique. Lava Orange, Python Green, Blue etc..

I ended up CPO after waiting over a year and Porsche keeps sucking the fun out of colors by retiring the unique ones or cranking you for PTS.

I did get a red interior though!😀
The following users liked this post:
porsche.earth (04-26-2023)
Old 04-26-2023, 01:39 PM
kawter
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts

I thought I would settle this intelligent debate with a little artificial intelligence - ala Chat GPT

The following 2 users liked this post by kawter:
porsche.earth (04-26-2023), Shambler (04-26-2023)
Old 04-26-2023, 02:09 PM
Dream in PTS
Burning Brakes

Received 1,040 Likes on 473 Posts

Flat black can look stunning. You just have to put in the time to keep it clean. But it’s worth it.
The following 3 users liked this post by Dream in PTS:
Billy Bluejay (04-26-2023), EXFIB (04-27-2023), porsche.earth (04-26-2023)
Old 04-26-2023, 02:33 PM
porsche.earth
Racer

Originally Posted by The911Don
Flat black can look stunning. You just have to put in the time to keep it clean. But it’s worth it.
You also have to put in a small amount of time and effort, or the photos you take of your clean black car will end up boring. My original post was simply an implication that black car owners could take less boring photos if they put some effort in. The rinky dinky phone camera's being used are not up to the task of taking good photos of black cars.

Originally Posted by kawter
I thought I would settle this intelligent debate with a little artificial intelligence - ala Chat GPT
Since you brought up ChatGPT btw, the AI thinks Whites are more timeless than Blacks, Grey comes before Silver, not sure why, this is just what it gave me when I asked some time ago. Funny there are no "colors" on the list. Personally I think Carbon Black is one of the best blacks, but JBM is definitely more timeless. I may or may not have influenced it's decision making by talking excessively about my car over the few weeks before I asked this question to it, leading to CWM being placed first.

"Certainly! Here's the revised list of the top 10 Porsche colors, arranged from what I consider most timeless to least timeless. Please keep in mind that this ranking is still subjective, and individual preferences may vary.

1. Carrara White Metallic
2. Jet Black Metallic
3. Agate Grey Metallic
4. Rhodium Silver Metallic
5. Meteor Grey Metallic
6. Basalt Black Metallic
7. Carbon Black Metallic
8. Chalk
9. Arctic Grey Metallic
10. Liquid Silver

Classic colors like Carrara White Metallic and Jet Black Metallic are often considered timeless because they have a broad appeal and maintain their elegance over time. On the other hand, colors like Liquid Silver might be considered less timeless, as they have a more distinctive finish that may not suit everyone's taste in the long run. However, it's important to choose a color based on your personal preferences and to visit a Porsche dealership to view the available options in person."

Originally Posted by Shambler
I generally agree. There are too many shades of black, white, silver or grey cars.

I’ve owned many black cars and wanted something more unique. Lava Orange, Python Green, Blue etc..

I ended up CPO after waiting over a year and Porsche keeps sucking the fun out of colors by retiring the unique ones or cranking you for PTS.

I did get a red interior though!😀
I'm hoping Porsche takes some more pages from the G Wagon playbook, they need to offer more colors outside of PTS. Adding SSBM <G color> to the PTS list is a good start <if you ignore that PTS isnt available outside of high dollar cars atm>, but eliminating PTS and offering the full "rennbow" to customers would be so much cooler. Ahhh well, profit over potential the Porsche motto in 2023

Last edited by porsche.earth; 04-26-2023 at 02:55 PM.
Old 04-26-2023, 02:47 PM
BOS911T
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

I should clarify I meant the photos
I can't even tell which black is which, they all look the same in the photos, which makes the photos I see scrolling through the thread a bit boring...its a lack of visual appeal thing....not that black cars are not good looking, just that the photos of black cars are not flattering them in any way....
You do realize there are multiple threads with 992's of other colors that might be less boring for you.
Old 04-26-2023, 02:48 PM
Billy Bluejay
Racer

Received 197 Likes on 105 Posts

Is A1 really that much worse that JBM? I am dreaming of that deep glossy A1 black that you just get lost in. I (think) I’m prepared for the time it will take to keep it looking spectacular. Am I out in left field on this? My car will most likely see less than 1500 miles a year.
Old 04-26-2023, 02:59 PM
porsche.earth
Racer

Originally Posted by BOS911T
You do realize there are multiple threads with 992's of other colors that might be less boring for you.
Don't worry they are all filled with low quality phone photos. The bar needs to be raised, too easy not to raise it a few feet above the six inches off the floor where it currently is located.

Originally Posted by Billy Bluejay
Is A1 really that much worse that JBM? I am dreaming of that deep glossy A1 black that you just get lost in. I (think) I’m prepared for the time it will take to keep it looking spectacular.
I've heard at least a few people like the regular black more, probably no such thing as "worse" just personal preference
Billy Bluejay (04-26-2023)
Old 04-26-2023, 03:22 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,041 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Is A1 really that much worse that JBM? I am dreaming of that deep glossy A1 black that you just get lost in. I (think) I’m prepared for the time it will take to keep it looking spectacular. Am I out in left field on this? My car will most likely see less than 1500 miles a year.
Worse? They're different. One being better or worse than the other is a matter of personal preference.

I like both. I've owned both. My recent order is in A1.
Old 04-26-2023, 03:31 PM
Billy Bluejay
Racer

Originally Posted by Wilder
Worse? They're different. One being better or worse than the other is a matter of personal preference.

I like both. I've owned both. My recent order is in A1.
what’s on order?
Old 04-26-2023, 03:35 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,041 Likes on 1,794 Posts

what’s on order?
T

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1332...l#post18759890
Old 04-26-2023, 05:49 PM
cwbrown
Racer

Received 344 Likes on 131 Posts

Be prepared!!!
A1 will be very difficult to take care of but really depends on how OCD you are with any marks on your car.
If you OK with never perfect its great.
My car was first specked with A1 but I realized because I am neurotic about keeping like new look, I would be constantly chasing marks with my polisher.
So finally went with the JMB and very happy with that call, lots of character and depth with the EXTRA flake in the paint.
Old 04-26-2023, 05:53 PM
Billy Bluejay
Racer

Originally Posted by cwbrown
Be prepared!!!
A1 will be very difficult to take care of but really depends on how OCD you are with any marks on your car.
If you OK with never perfect its great.
My car was first specked with A1 but I realized because I am neurotic about keeping like new look, I would be constantly chasing marks with my polisher.
So finally went with the JMB and very happy with that call, lots of character and depth with the EXTRA flake in the paint.
I also plan to ppf the whole car to help with care.
depending on when my allocation comes, dark olive metallic and oak green metallic will be options.
cwbrown (04-26-2023)
Old 04-26-2023, 05:54 PM
1957Goldtop
Instructor

Received 148 Likes on 36 Posts

I should clarify I meant the photos
I can't even tell which black is which, they all look the same in the photos, which makes the photos I see scrolling through the thread a bit boring...its a lack of visual appeal thing....not that black cars are not good looking, just that the photos of black cars are not flattering them in any way....
uhh... Which makes me wonder why you're viewing a thread that literally is called "black 992 thread" 🤣🤣🤣

If it's so boring, maybe don't open up the thread that's for the very thing you find boring 🤯

I mean I don't go around looking for threads called "Let's all discus how Barry Manilow Does Indeed Write The Songs!"

Last edited by 1957Goldtop; 04-26-2023 at 05:56 PM.
BOS911T (04-26-2023)

Quick Reply: Is there a black 992 thread? If not, can we start one?