Best Car Wash Method

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2022, 03:13 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,319 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by 5thGen Texan
Siberian, the new Dakar seems a perfect fit for you.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I have my V8 Touareg with air suspension - a Porsche at half the price and nicely modded. Now a Lancia Stratos...

siberian
The following users liked this post:
5thGen Texan (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 02:53 PM
Drew46
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,652 Likes on 781 Posts

Only on RL can a discussion about the best way to wash your car evolve into a discussion like this.
The following 3 users liked this post by Drew46:
minn19 (12-19-2022), SpyderTarga (12-19-2022), Wilder (01-27-2023)
Old 12-19-2022, 03:26 PM
Smirnoff67
Pro

Received 463 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by srf409
Drug pinch?
Nope. You could say it was for Family reasons.
Old 12-19-2022, 03:27 PM
Smirnoff67
Pro

Originally Posted by Drew46
Only on RL can a discussion about the best way to wash your car evolve into a discussion like this.
Weird huh?
Old 12-19-2022, 05:38 PM
Smirnoff67
Pro

Originally Posted by srf409
Doesn' really matter but very strange that you would point out your inability to obtain a passport on an internet car forum. Weird indeed as others here agree.Oh well, hope things get better in your world.
​​​​​​​My world is perfectly fine. What is normal to me, is usually very disturbing to every-day people; been like that my whole life, I'm used to it. While not being able to get a passport is normal to me, it isn't to regular people, and I couldn't care less who knows it or doesn't. I'm not ashamed of who I am. Don't know how many people agree with you besides maybe one, but think what you want. How about you leave me be and we get back on topic and discuss car washing/care techniques without bashing the people who do it differently than you do?
Old 12-19-2022, 05:41 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 2,007 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Originally Posted by Smirnoff67
My world is perfectly fine. What is normal to me, is usually very disturbing to every-day people; been like that my whole life, I'm used to it. While not being able to get a passport is normal to me, it isn't to regular people, and I couldn't care less who knows it or doesn't. I'm not ashamed of who I am. Don't know how many people agree with you besides maybe one, but think what you want. How about you leave me be and we get back on topic and discuss car washing/care techniques without bashing the people who do it differently than you do?
I'd have a whiskey/whisky with you.
Smirnoff67 (01-26-2023)
Old 12-19-2022, 05:42 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Smirnoff67
My world is perfectly fine. What is normal to me, is usually very disturbing to every-day people; been like that my whole life, I'm used to it. While not being able to get a passport is normal to me, it isn't to regular people, and I couldn't care less who knows it or doesn't. I'm not ashamed of who I am. Don't know how many people agree with you besides maybe one, but think what you want. How about you leave me be and we get back on topic and discuss car washing/care techniques without bashing the people who do it differently than you do?
Hit man?

Bashing seems to be his thing apparently. Meanwhile he is swirling his paint more and more by constantly touching it with the older methods of washing cars and spending more time doing it than us “morons” that PPFd/ceramic coated etc.
Smirnoff67 (12-19-2022)
Old 12-19-2022, 06:11 PM
Smirnoff67
Pro

Originally Posted by minn19
Hit man?  Bashing seems to be his thing apparently. Meanwhile he is swirling his paint more and more by constantly touching it with the older methods of washing cars and spending more time doing it than us “morons” that PPFd/ceramic coated etc.
​​​​​​​Having my cars PPF'd and ceramic coated has certainly made my life easier, that's for sure. And they look amazing. I highly recommend it. But, people have to do what they're comfortable doing...different strokes for different folks.
Old 12-19-2022, 08:58 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,319 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Ok folks, let those of you who are into this washing thing go back to doing it and the rest of us can find other things to do with our time. Let's chill please. Thanks

siberian
Old 01-26-2023, 01:49 PM
tomtomtomtom
Racer

Received 267 Likes on 133 Posts

I figured that since we have snow on the ground, it would be a good day to wash the marshmallow car

The following 2 users liked this post by tomtomtomtom:
TimTennis (01-26-2023), vg247 (01-27-2023)
Old 01-27-2023, 01:06 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,041 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Originally Posted by TimTennis
Griots makes a good foam cannon and products to go with it. Best advice with any foam is to apply to dry finish (of course not in the sun) and let sit for no longer than 5 minutes. Apply in sweeping motion from bottom to top. Rinse using same process, bottom to top. If you do this regularly you can keep the car very clean. If you need to hand wash, foaming is a good prewash but be sure to reverse order the wash process, meaning top to bottom, saving wheels and baseboards for last. DO NOT wash in circular motion, instead in straight sweep.
The only guy who actually answered the question and got it right.

You start with the cleanest and most visible sections (roof, glass, hood, trunk) and work your way down to the dirtiest and least visible (top of sides, bottom of sides, rear, front) and ending with wheels, wheel wells, and rocker panels. Keeps micro scratches to a minimum. Everything else is secondary.

But the absolute best car wash method is paying someone who knows what they're doing to come wash your car(s) at your home.
Old 01-27-2023, 01:34 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 849 Likes on 433 Posts

Originally Posted by avid
The only guy who actually answered the question and got it right.

You start with the cleanest and most visible sections (roof, glass, hood, trunk) and work your way down to the dirtiest and least visible (top of sides, bottom of sides, rear, front) and ending with wheels, wheel wells, and rocker panels. Keeps micro scratches to a minimum. Everything else is secondary.

But the absolute best car wash method is paying someone who knows what they're doing to come wash your car(s) at your home.
might disagree here. Depending on time of day and amount of direct sunlight, I’ve often started on the bottom of the wheels/bottom of rocker panels, dumped the water and then done the rest of the car.

And foam cannons are for show. Waste of time IMHO.
Old 01-27-2023, 04:03 AM
911dude41
Drifting

Received 1,228 Likes on 705 Posts

Man.. What a thread. Srf409 has some valid points and I'll admit I laughed out loud (literally) because he nailed some things on the head but not everything. His delivery isn't the most friendly.

The high school dropout and meth head comment... Yeah I'm going to have to somewhat agree with this. There are a lot of shmucks in the industry. I know it sounds mean and so f'ed up but I've experienced this more than once.. On my own car. I paid for and took my car back off the hands of a very high end local detail shop and I was PISSED to say the least. They even had the nerve to ask for a tip. Paying over $2000 dollars for a full detail and paint correction only to have a meth head hand you your keys and the job being botched is pissening. Again. Plus tip lol.

I was a hobby detailer since I got my first car at age 16. One day, years later when I needed a job I saw an opening at a huge dealership for pro detailer. Not the car porter, run it through the wash position but actual paint correction and restoring interiors/exteriors. Think AMMO NYC type of jobs. Being on the east coast I dealt with some nasty cars. Rust, corrosion etc. I would transform trade-ins and the sales advisors all used to praise me. My bosses hated me and I ultimately got let go because I would take anywhere from 4-8 hours per car. They didn't seem to grasp the concept and definition of the world DETAIL. I get it though, it's a car sales business after all so I don't blame them. I took it too serious. It was more play time and extreme obsession to me. It was hypnotizing. I took advantage of having my own dedicated bay, tools and products at my disposal. I could spend 10-15 minutes cleaning one used wash mit and keep finding tiny hard specs that could scratch your car. II could see why I got let go, I was experimenting on the job. I can only imagine what it looked like watching me stand in front a sink forever while I was cleaning a mit or towel. Probably thought I was high. I ended up getting hired at a Ferrari dealer and that was quite the experience but short lived as I moved shortly after.

With that aside, ceramic coats, foam cannons, and pressure washers are not BS. They're legitimate 100%. Every product has it's true purpose. However, if you're a pro and truly into show car/concours level detailing then a good old fashioned Carnuba wax trumps any ceramic coat. Still, you have to use proper prep. If you're good enough, **** enough and can stay on top of it then you deserve props because I don't have that patience. So in reality ceramic coats are the best.

Swirls are real. Touching the paint without proper prep or care for your wash mits/towels will scratch and swirl your paint. No question. Grit guards work. Can it be overkill and wasteful? Absolutely, but it's proper. You can do whatever you want with your car, but if you're constantly washing it using poor technique your paint will look like **** and you'll be going in for polishing and paint correction far more often and you will end up spending the same money, if not more... Then you'll be dealing with those crackhead drop outs srf409 is talking about... So back to my original story, you can see why I was truly mad as a former pro detailer when I got my botched detailing job car back from a "high end" detailer who has weirdos doing the work while he's on a beach somewhere getting jerked off by his wife. Ever since that day I swore off ever going to another detailer again unless they're world renowned and that's going to cost bukoo bucks.

To the guy who brought up Nick Murray.. Nick Murray is an idiot and a youtube jester. He even knew it when he made a carwash video.

Matt Moreman from Obsessed Garage is awesome. His videos may be long, but I can beat to that drum so I'll watch them. He sells great products.

All in all I've saved thousands upon thousands of dollars by buying all my own products and doing my own washes (so can you)... Getting these cars washed on a regular basis ain't cheap. There's a Porsche tax. There's no need to be paying someone to do your own work as a man. That someone is going more than likely to be some pompous douche "detailer" that you're paying to wash your car. Be a man You're not "too busy" and don't act or pretend that your time saved is more valuable as if you're going to be doing something else that's making you more money. That's pure cope and some capitalist american nonsense.

I went a little off the rail with this post, but those who can relate know what's up.

The following 3 users liked this post by 911dude41:
arinl (01-27-2023), PHX (01-27-2023), vg247 (01-27-2023)
Old 01-27-2023, 06:28 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by German1967
ONR, one bucket, sponge, microfiber towels… 20mins every few weeks… whole car PPF/ceramic coated.
This is what I do as well with the adder that my big bucket is one of those Simoniz branded units with the plastic grate at the bottom of it to remove standing dirt from the water and using a second bucket for wheels only…and a big shaggy Armourall car wash mitt (rather than sponge) which doubles as a puppet to make the neighbor’s kids smile when I “talk “ to them with it. Because my cars are ceramic coated, I use a cap full of non stripping ( Maguires in my case) car wash agent in the water. Would be curious to hear what others add in the water for ceramic treated cars.
Old 01-28-2023, 01:11 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,041 Likes on 1,794 Posts

Originally Posted by 911dude41
There's no need to be paying someone to do your own work as a man. That someone is going more than likely to be some pompous douche "detailer" that you're paying to wash your car. Be a man You're not "too busy" and don't act or pretend that your time saved is more valuable as if you're going to be doing something else that's making you more money. That's pure cope and some capitalist american nonsense.
You're welcome to come wash my five cars once per week. Maybe it'll make you feel like even more of a man.

You sound young and you certainly have a lot of time on your hands. I'm 50 and very lucky to find myself in a situation where I can chose how to spend my time. I prefer to track my cars, travel, spend time with my family, build businesses and lead my teams over cleaning. You know, real sissy stuff. More so than some guy from the internet, I agree with Ferry Porsche: "made to be driven, not polished". Also, I'm not American.
The following 2 users liked this post by Wilder:
dixonk (01-28-2023), ron4sc (04-10-2023)

Quick Reply: Best Car Wash Method