Sponsored by:

Best Car Wash Method

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2022, 05:29 PM
SFAVGUY
Racer

Received 480 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderTarga
@SFAVGUY I see inspiration from Obsessed Garage here, yeah?
Yep. I tried to take what Matt did and take it up a level
Old 12-16-2022, 05:42 PM
rsabeebe
Rennlist Member

Received 1,002 Likes on 652 Posts

this is what made a night and day difference for me in TX. water here is horrible.

i'm an old school car washer and this was money well spent.

https://crspotless.com/product/di-120/

The following users liked this post:
Smirnoff67 (12-16-2022)
Old 12-16-2022, 09:52 PM
arinl
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Foam Cannon

Foam Cannon is the only way to wash!
Smirnoff67 (12-16-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 01:11 PM
German1967
Pro

Received 604 Likes on 270 Posts

ONR, one bucket, sponge, microfiber towels… 20mins every few weeks… whole car PPF/ceramic coated.
The following 2 users liked this post by German1967:
rasetsu (12-17-2022), Smirnoff67 (12-17-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 02:32 PM
mksz51
Pro

Received 749 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by srf409
I am right with and have been cleaning my rides this way for decades with outstanding results and also have no need for BS Ceramic treatments.
Some of us are sharp enough not to be members of the "car care gadjet and coating of the month club".
Sorry - but you are dead wrong. Ceramic coatings are fantastic and save on your paint / finish by requiring you to buff/rub on it LESS! I think paying for someone else to do your ceramic coating is dumb (SO many good / user friendly products you can buy - do it yourself!) but trying to justify the "value" of a wax/polish/sealant vs. a ceramic coating is a losing proposition. Just like most things in the world - innovate or die............
Smirnoff67 (12-17-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 03:14 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,552 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by mksz51
Sorry - but you are dead wrong. Ceramic coatings are fantastic and save on your paint / finish by requiring you to buff/rub on it LESS! I think paying for someone else to do your ceramic coating is dumb (SO many good / user friendly products you can buy - do it yourself!) but trying to justify the "value" of a wax/polish/sealant vs. a ceramic coating is a losing proposition. Just like most things in the world - innovate or die............
What product would you recommend for first time, DIY, ceramic coat on Averturine Green 992S? I have been looking at Gyeon MOSH Evo and Gyeon Pure Evo. Any other advice for a first time DIY application would also be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Fullyield; 12-17-2022 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-17-2022, 03:25 PM
mksz51
Pro

Originally Posted by Fullyield
What product would you recommend for first time, DIY, ceramic coat on Averturine Green 992S? I have been looking at Gyeon MOSH Evo and Gyeon Pure Evo. Any other advice for a first time DIY application would also be appreciated. Thanks.
I've been using McKee's 37 products for quite some time and use this ceramic coating. 18 months now on my 911 and it still looks wonderful. I use their car wash, detailer, and wheel cleaner also. Easy to use and great results.

Fullyield (12-17-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 03:40 PM
Smirnoff67
Pro

Received 463 Likes on 249 Posts

I give you guys a lot of credit in having the moxy to do a ceramic coating job yourself. That's a big job with no room for errors. I've been detailing my own cars all my life until these kinds of products came along, but there's no way I would trust myself to do a ceramic coating job. Props.
Old 12-17-2022, 03:54 PM
mksz51
Pro

Originally Posted by Smirnoff67
I give you guys a lot of credit in having the moxy to do a ceramic coating job yourself. That's a big job with no room for errors. I've been detailing my own cars all my life until these kinds of products came along, but there's no way I would trust myself to do a ceramic coating job. Props.
The biggest thing (as in most situations where you are finishing a surface - woodworking, car painting, any painting.........) is surface preparation prior to the coating. It has to be clean. Iron X is a great product for surface prep. Dawn dishwashing detergent also works well to strip off old wax/polish/etc. Clay bar is good as long as you know what you are doing - if you don't you'll create a worse mess than what you started with. The goal is to touch the paint as little as possible throughout the life of the vehicle - clean microfiber, no covers (only if vehicle is spotlessly clean), NO California dusters. Never wipe a dry surface. Dry your car by blowing the majority of the water off ( I use a Lowes/Kobalt cordless electric leaf blower) then finish wiping / drying with a microfiber lightly sprayed with your favorite detailing product. Separate / dedicated microfiber for windows that never is exposed to detailer (OR - you'll have streaks). Sounds kind of OCD but it's pretty easy to develop the right habits and then enjoy the process. We purchased a new home in the midwest about 9 years ago. I now have a big garage with hot and cold running water, floor drains, a heater, and a TV on the wall. I always wash the vehicles inside the garage - year round. I love that space.

Last edited by mksz51; 12-17-2022 at 03:58 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by mksz51:
Fullyield (12-17-2022), Smirnoff67 (12-18-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 04:31 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,552 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by Smirnoff67
Good point. I felt the same way last year. But the industry has released some new products recently (last 12 months) which makes application easier and more DIY friendly. I think the industry is starting to realize that DIY ceramic is a largely untapped market. Like painting, the correct prep beforehand is also a key, time-consuming, component of proper ceramic coating. Temperature, humidity and having access to a garage with good lighting are three additional concerns. Anyone considering it needs to do their research and think it through. If you do not have a garage, fuggitaboutit. The way to avoid errors is to not rush and work in small sections with quality control over each small section so any errors(high spots) are corrected before the cure…..which is again …..time consuming. So, I anticipate a two-day project. Add a third day to remove, prep and coat the wheels and calipers too. Compare this process with my current process of 1 hour every 3 months for wax/sealant.
Ceramic is a better product, no doubt. But, I will not pay $3500 for ceramic….but I might coat with ceramic if I can DIY. I will just continue with wax/sealant every 3 months before I pay $3k. Been doing it that way my whole life.
Just my opinion. Other opinions may differ.
Smirnoff67 (12-18-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 05:59 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 2,144 Likes on 1,186 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Good point. I felt the same way last year. But the industry has released some new products recently (last 12 months) which makes application easier and more DIY friendly. I think the industry is starting to realize that DIY ceramic is a largely untapped market. Like painting, the correct prep beforehand is also a key, time-consuming, component of proper ceramic coating. Temperature, humidity and having access to a garage with good lighting are three additional concerns. Anyone considering it needs to do their research and think it through. If you do not have a garage, fuggitaboutit. The way to avoid errors is to not rush and work in small sections with quality control over each small section so any errors(high spots) are corrected before the cure…..which is again …..time consuming. So, I anticipate a two-day project. Add a third day to remove, prep and coat the wheels and calipers too. Compare this process with my current process of 1 hour every 3 months for wax/sealant.
Ceramic is a better product, no doubt. But, I will not pay $3500 for ceramic….but I might coat with ceramic if I can DIY. I will just continue with wax/sealant every 3 months before I pay $3k. Been doing it that way my whole life.
Just my opinion. Other opinions may differ.
This definitely sums up the debate: Having to spend a good amount of time 4x a year waxing then sealing or paying a handsome amount to relieve yourself of that work for a few years. But hey, there are people that look forward to it and enjoy themselves detailing their whips.

And I can't see this as a $3k job for a coating, especially on a small two door like the 992, unless the paint is trashed and needs a two step correction. If I ever got quoted that much I think I'd lose my **** and straight up call them a thief. I personally wouldn’t pay more than $800 on a new 992 with little to correct.

As to what looks better, completely objective. Some people prefer the warm glow of carnuba vs the slick shine of ceramic.

I just got back into detailing and will most likely tackle the coating myself as I agree with you that there have recently been improvements in retail products that are much more user friendly. Like someone mentioned above I'm also leaning towards gyeon mohs evo. It seems the right amount of protection/user friendliness. I could be completely wrong but I don't think DIY coating is that hard, albeit the only thing I've ever coated was a set of wheels on my DD.
Fullyield (12-17-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 06:09 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 862 Likes on 441 Posts

Originally Posted by mksz51
The biggest thing (as in most situations where you are finishing a surface - woodworking, car painting, any painting.........) is surface preparation prior to the coating. It has to be clean. Iron X is a great product for surface prep. Dawn dishwashing detergent also works well to strip off old wax/polish/etc. Clay bar is good as long as you know what you are doing - if you don't you'll create a worse mess than what you started with. The goal is to touch the paint as little as possible throughout the life of the vehicle - clean microfiber, no covers (only if vehicle is spotlessly clean), NO California dusters. Never wipe a dry surface. Dry your car by blowing the majority of the water off ( I use a Lowes/Kobalt cordless electric leaf blower) then finish wiping / drying with a microfiber lightly sprayed with your favorite detailing product. Separate / dedicated microfiber for windows that never is exposed to detailer (OR - you'll have streaks). Sounds kind of OCD but it's pretty easy to develop the right habits and then enjoy the process. We purchased a new home in the midwest about 9 years ago. I now have a big garage with hot and cold running water, floor drains, a heater, and a TV on the wall. I always wash the vehicles inside the garage - year round. I love that space.
While everything you say is technically true, there are so many other things that are going to "touch" your paint finish in such that being completely **** about each and everything YOU touch the car with is overkill in my book. And let's face it, even the guy (or gal) who takes their car through the gas station car wash, creates swirls and whatnot that can be easily removed.

It is back to my post here about how the foam canons are not worth it - yes, they add another layer of protection in that they loosen grime before you wipe, but seriously, any extra scratches that might be created by even using a one bucket wash (which I've gone back to), are easily removed.

My 2 cents anyway

Last edited by doug_999; 12-17-2022 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-17-2022, 06:10 PM
Smirnoff67
Pro

Received 463 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by srf409
Yeah, the high school drop outs and crack heads who do this at the dealer or detail joint are far more technical and capable than guys like us here. 
​​​​​​​You may have people like that working at your local Detail Shops in California, but certainly not here. My guy does airplanes, yachts and cars and has been in business for years and years with multiple locations. So when I see people with many millions of dollars in planes and yachts use him, I'm feeling pretty good about him handling my cars.
Old 12-17-2022, 07:21 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,357 Likes on 1,398 Posts

Rain normally works for me, I prefer to spend my time driving, probably why my car will never make Porsche of the Week

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 12-17-2022 at 07:22 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by siberian:
Birdman86 (07-11-2023), passat774 (12-18-2022)
Old 12-17-2022, 08:12 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,357 Likes on 1,398 Posts

It's a car, I bought it to drive (all year long) not sit and spend my time polishing it.

I would guess with the rear wiper and the mud it gets more comments than it should. At a gas station recently: "you drive it in the snow and rain?" . "No I had it towed here to make believe"..."

siberian
The following 2 users liked this post by siberian:
IPA1 (12-18-2022), srf409 (12-17-2022)

Quick Reply: Best Car Wash Method