Sponsored by:

992T or 991.2 T or 718 Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2022 | 01:05 AM
Rafteur
Intermediate

Default 992T or 991.2 T or 718 Spyder

Hello fellow Porsche-Fans,
I hope all is well and slowly getting into the XMAS mood.
I was wondering if I could pick your guys brain on my dilemma:
I loved the idea of the 991.2 T but missed out on it as in Japan (where I lived at that time) only the pdk was available. I know...
I moved to the UAE a couple years ago, and I thought of buying a 718 Spyder. I liked its rawness and the fact that it was a GT. But still, the 991.2T was still in the back of my mind.
I had a base 981 boxster and loved it, but thought the natural next step was the 911, and wanted the T. I loved the idea of the T so much that I put a deposit for a cayman T. test drove the base and S, and while I liked them, I felt the cayman T with that engine was a bit too expensive and missing something. I thought that meant I had to go for the spyder. Changed my deposit for one, but was told I had 5% chance to get one at that time... 1 year later, I decided to move on, because the 911 992 T was announced.
Loved the idea of being able to have a 911 T, I looove the idea of PTS to have it brewster or oakgreen, as the only option. Howver, I don't like the rear bulk, the behind of the car and its techiness inside...
The more I think f it, the more the 991.2 T reveals itself as the car for me. very few sold in Dubai where the big 911s have center stage, and every car seems to be PDK, that means I have to import one. it will probably cost me the same as a 992 T with the PTS.
With this background, my question to you:
What would you do if you were in my shoes: decide the spyder is the best of the 3, and persevere that direction, bit the bullet of the things I find meh in what is otherwise a great car as the first reviews reveal and go 992, or stick to the 991.2 which seems to garner much belated love if I judge by the secondary market price?
One thing to add: I plan this car to be a keeper and a mainstay in my 2 car garage... maybe three if I manage to get my hand on that BMW M3 Touring (which is not available here)...
Thanks a lot in advance for your insights!
Cheers- Rafteur
Old 12-04-2022 | 01:49 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rafteur
Hello fellow Porsche-Fans,
I hope all is well and slowly getting into the XMAS mood.
I was wondering if I could pick your guys brain on my dilemma:
I loved the idea of the 991.2 T but missed out on it as in Japan (where I lived at that time) only the pdk was available. I know...
I moved to the UAE a couple years ago, and I thought of buying a 718 Spyder. I liked its rawness and the fact that it was a GT. But still, the 991.2T was still in the back of my mind.
I had a base 981 boxster and loved it, but thought the natural next step was the 911, and wanted the T. I loved the idea of the T so much that I put a deposit for a cayman T. test drove the base and S, and while I liked them, I felt the cayman T with that engine was a bit too expensive and missing something. I thought that meant I had to go for the spyder. Changed my deposit for one, but was told I had 5% chance to get one at that time... 1 year later, I decided to move on, because the 911 992 T was announced.
Loved the idea of being able to have a 911 T, I looove the idea of PTS to have it brewster or oakgreen, as the only option. Howver, I don't like the rear bulk, the behind of the car and its techiness inside...
The more I think f it, the more the 991.2 T reveals itself as the car for me. very few sold in Dubai where the big 911s have center stage, and every car seems to be PDK, that means I have to import one. it will probably cost me the same as a 992 T with the PTS.
With this background, my question to you:
What would you do if you were in my shoes: decide the spyder is the best of the 3, and persevere that direction, bit the bullet of the things I find meh in what is otherwise a great car as the first reviews reveal and go 992, or stick to the 991.2 which seems to garner much belated love if I judge by the secondary market price?
One thing to add: I plan this car to be a keeper and a mainstay in my 2 car garage... maybe three if I manage to get my hand on that BMW M3 Touring (which is not available here)...
Thanks a lot in advance for your insights!
Cheers- Rafteur
As a keeper? The 718 Spyder. Hands down.

As a daily beater in Dubai? Either of the 911T would do.

The Spyder is special. Always will be.

The only more special would be a Spyder RS ...
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
impinth06 (12-04-2022), Underblu (12-05-2022)
Old 12-04-2022 | 10:07 AM
Bobby 911
Banned

I’m not into convertibles so I have no interest in the Spyder. I had a 991.2 T and it was a great car but you could only by someone else’s build (used car) at this point obviously. The new 992 T looks amazing so that would be my choice.
Old 12-04-2022 | 11:06 AM
6sigma
Rennlist Member

If the 991T would cost the same as a 992T, I'd def go 992T. I had a 991T, and while a great car, I'm not sure it is better than the 992T. Perhaps the 991 is a bit more unique, but dynamically I think the 992 overall is a step forward from the 991. The Spyder makes sense if you don't care about owning a 911. The Spyder, at a price possibly less than a 992T, is the best value and extra special as a GT car. But will it scratch the 911 itch?
Old 12-04-2022 | 11:31 AM
S S
Burning Brakes

Are you going to wrap the car? If so, then get the 991.2 and make it whatever color you want. Wraps have come a long way, and they will offer you some protection from the grit on the roads over there. Not as much as PPF, but it will help.
Odds are you aren't going to be able to swing a Spyder at this point, and I bet they wont be trying to get too many Ts at dealers over there. Not enough interest/not enough ways to make money on them as people there won't get a T and option it out like they will a GTS or Turbo. It is just the way it is, when people are street parking 200k+ cars and letting them bake away, no one who can afford these toys wants to be seen in anything less.
Do you plan on doing most of your driving at night? If so, then maybe the Spyder would be usable... Outside of a few months a year, driving around, even with the top up, in a soft roof during the day will be quite miserable in your region. How long are you there? IF not forever, then maybe you just abide it until you get to a place where you can truly use/enjoy the convertible.
991.2s can be had, and if you aren't too picky about the options, even the MTs are going to be more reasonable now that they 992s are launching. Folks want the new shiny, although it does not appear that the 992 are that much more capable/enhanced from the early reviews. Until objective folks do back-to-backs in Ts, optioned the same way, we aren't really going to know. Only one review I have seen has even mentioned this, and they did not say the 992 were better than the 991.2, almost (but not quite) the opposite, in fact.
You are going to get all kinds of reasons here. I had a 981 CS MT and moved it on for the 991.2 T MT. I couldn't be happier. I could have afforded (if I could get an allocation) anything short of a GT2, but given my driving time/style and where I use it, the T has been perfect. With the RAS and PTV, it is almost as fun as spinning the Cayman top. But it's a 911... and that still matters. Ultimately, you have to go with what you want, and pay the price (time, money, angst) to get it, so be true to yourself and do keep it forever. For me, that is the 991.2 T, based on how I spec'd it (which, unfortunately/fortunately it doesn't even appear you can even do on the 992 T to a great extent, and odds are future iterations, to differentiate it from a Base or S based on the way things are trending...) and how I see driving it going forward.

Good luck!

SS
Old 12-04-2022 | 12:31 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

I'd go 718 Spyder, specifically if it's a second or third car as you mentioned (next to a daily driver). I'd eliminate the 991T given that it would cost the same as a 992T in your situation and probably be challenging to deal with the import process. You could consider the 992T but it doesn't sound like you're as excited about it and I'd still prefer the 718 Spyder.
The following users liked this post:
c1pher (12-05-2022)
Old 12-04-2022 | 02:28 PM
Rafteur
Intermediate

Thank you all for your feedback. Much appreciated!
My job assignment here ends in a couple of years then back to Japan. Driving/riding there is a stunning experience if you ever have the opportunity to visit.

As the Spyder is a tad cheaper here than in Japan that also weighed my initial reasoning. The Spyder is absolutely a great car, and a GT at that. Not really considering the resale value, the idea being to keep it.
However, there is this 911T itch that is irkingly itchy. I tried to scratch it with the classics or one of the more "affordeable" GTs that hit the used market every now and then, but the only other one that tickled my fancy as much as the T was the 50th anniversary edition. I let go of an opportunity to purchase an imported used one, mostly because it did not come in manual. But even then the T remained in the back of my mind.

S S you are on point. Driving here with an open roof is only possible for 3 months a year really. And I did feel like a lesser citizen at times when I tried to order the Spyder compared to the cars being delivered to their regular customers. But TBH as they saw me regularly haunting the showroom they seem genuinely wanting to help me find my baby..., and did hint that with the flurry of novelty, my chances to get one new or used through the showroom is improved than a few months back. But the demand for a manual being so low, they only contemplate orders for 718 Spyder, GTS or the 992 T and the deposit is higher than the pdk...

The reviews of the 992T seemed to be more positive than for the 991 at launch. Maybe the way to go is to study the market for while and wait a few more months so that I get a chance to test drive the 992T...
Please keep on sharing your views and what you would do in my shoes... this is very helpful!
Cheers- Rafteur
S S (12-04-2022)
Old 12-04-2022 | 03:22 PM
pk27
Advanced

Spyder hands down, last of its kind and a future classic whereas the 992/991 will just be another dated 911 in ten years. Not a fan of the T, seems more a marketing gimmick and a way to overcharge for what should be a free manual transmission option in the base.
Old 12-04-2022 | 03:23 PM
Alc
Racer

The initial reviews on the 991.2T were mediocre because they released it and then test drove it WITH the GT3T. After people finally stopped comparing it to one and production ended people began to fully understand the vehicles attributes and it became loved.

Unfortunately, the 992T has me lost. As you can see in the threads it has so many options people are…well lost. The demand wouldn’t even exist if they offered the base with a MT. Porsche collided the base with people just wanting a MT with the T demand. Now, people are worried about whether to add ventilated seats to their 18-ways with deviated stitching and burmester rather than just driving it.
I’ll never forget the 991.2T Porsche video of a dude in his T on mountain roads driving the **** out of his vehicle without the radio on…gets out, the cars is filthy then gets back in and drives it more.

All that being said I’m sure the 992T is a gigantic technology leap forward but technology wasn’t the 991.2T forte, it was simplicity. Even the configurator was simple, now if you try to make a 992T as light as possible it will cost you a ton! Carbon fiber roof, titanium bolts, RS wheels, etc. I’m just not sure the 992T is better out of the package WITHOUT options. PTS is cool though if you can get it but then I’m not sure I’d drive it as intended because of my $12k paint job!

If it were my money I’d wait until I see a few 992Ts out there and then pickup a 991.2T which will inevitably drop in price. Patience will pay off. Don’t forget, that Porsches age well for the most part.
S S (12-04-2022)
Old 12-04-2022 | 11:00 PM
Rafteur
Intermediate

Simplicity and the right amount of car I can handle is usually the way I go. I don't like options or power that I cannot use. The only option I considered with the 992 was the pts, as I just love 911 in green (the darker ones).
It seems your feedback helped me clear out the 992, as not the way to go. so either the Spyder which is indeed an incredible car, but that would leave the 991 itch unscratched, or a 991.2T once their price drop a bit, find one with the right specs and wrap it... like this one...
Thanks all for the feedback!
Old 12-04-2022 | 11:18 PM
balucipher
Pro

992T vs 991.2T - 992 has better steering, better rear wheel steering setup if you option it (you should), wide body so wider tires and more grip and the revised engine which delivers a much better power band. Nicer interior with better tech and 8speed in the pdk (vs 7) if you want it or the same 7spd manual. Generally with the T trim I recommend you keep it light on options but porsche gives you many options and you can configure it how you like. If too many options makes your brain hurt, your sales advisor can walk you through it during ordering.

718 Spyder- absolutely a special car and is basically a convertible GT4. Great naturally aspirated engine that sings with an aftermarket exhaust, a fantastic 6spd manual or the excellent 7spd pdk and is a joy to drive. The 718 platform is just a refresh of the 981 that debuted in 2012 so the tech is aging but functional and the interior is similar to the 991.2, just a bit more cramped.

Really can't go wrong with any of the choices. 992T allocation at MSRP is doable outside of the west coast dealers which puts you in a new car with warranty vs a used 991.2T which seems to be selling over original MSRP. I don't know how the used prices on the Spyder are or what the allocations look like for them, but I imagine they're sparse.
The following 2 users liked this post by balucipher:
Bobby 911 (12-05-2022), c1pher (12-05-2022)
Old 12-05-2022 | 08:54 AM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

If you’re really looking for a sports car, then I’d get the 718 GTS4.0 or GT4/Spyder. While I love the 911, I think the 718 is a better all around sports car. You can also get whatever options you want and still not spend as much as you would on a 992T. And if you’re not getting back seats on the T, that reinforces the reason to get the 718 in my mind. The storage on the 718 has more convenient access. The reason I include the GTS is you can probably get one without markups and you have the option for a convertible if you want.
Old 12-05-2022 | 10:48 AM
Alc
Racer

Originally Posted by c1pher
If you’re really looking for a sports car, then I’d get the 718 GTS4.0 or GT4/Spyder.
Interesting, so the 911T is not a sports car and anything with the 4.0 is?

Buy how you are going to use it. If you’re not going to have the top down the Spyder will not prove as enjoyable and will probably sit in the garage more days than you like there. A GT4 is a track car if that’s what you want but it also rides like one. The 911T (991.2T) is a fun backroad carver and easily transformed into a track monster if wanted. Again, buy what you want, it’s a good dilemma to be in. The 4.0 in the gt4 is a glorious engine but so is the 3.0t.
Bobby 911 (12-05-2022)
Old 12-05-2022 | 02:05 PM
Underblu
Banned

I drove a 991T in California while I still had my 981 Spyder. I remember seriously considering buying a T as I enjoyed it so much. Both cars are great sports cars for the road. The T felt a bit more planted and compliant in general but less communicative, and raw. The steering in both cars was very good. The T would probably be the better daily while the Spyder will have some occasion with it.

Now that I’m on my second 718 Spyder I can say that the 718 version is a huge leap ahead of the 981. The GT4 suspension is more compliant, damped and confidence inspiring than the X73 though still very communicative. While the 991/992 rear multilink is technically more advanced, the strut setup on the midengine Porsches give it a little of that old school character which I personally like. The 718 Spyder 4.0 liter engine revs to 8k and maybe the best NA6 short of the GT3 engine. The 718 4.0 feels linear and potent through the rev range. That said the turbo 6 in the 991T is a very nice engine as well with a very linear feel to it. Rarely did I feel I was driving a car with a turbocharged engine. I would imagine the 992T would take everything good about the 991T up a notch so I don’t think there are any bad choices here.

The Spyder is imo the best looking open topped production Porsche and one of the prettiest sports cars made. Some people may prefer the “look at me” swoops and curves of the latest supercars but I’m not one of them. The 718 Spyder looks like a Porsche and you can see it’s lineage in everything from the 718RSK to the CGT. The 911 is the absolute Porsche icon. It’s imho one of the purest sports car designs you can buy. By the same token it’s ubiquity and familiarity render it a little less exotic than the Spyder.

Again 3 great choices that I would be happy to own.
Old 12-05-2022 | 04:11 PM
c1pher
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alc
Interesting, so the 911T is not a sports car and anything with the 4.0 is?

Buy how you are going to use it. If you’re not going to have the top down the Spyder will not prove as enjoyable and will probably sit in the garage more days than you like there. A GT4 is a track car if that’s what you want but it also rides like one. The 911T (991.2T) is a fun backroad carver and easily transformed into a track monster if wanted. Again, buy what you want, it’s a good dilemma to be in. The 4.0 in the gt4 is a glorious engine but so is the 3.0t.
I think the 992 is more of a GT other than the GT3 itself.

Quick Reply: 992T or 991.2 T or 718 Spyder