911 Dakar in person

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2022, 01:57 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,808 Likes on 2,170 Posts

Originally Posted by 3rdpedal
I'm in the meh camp.
+1...looks like a 911 mated with a Taycan Cross Turismo.
Old 11-27-2022, 04:20 AM
cebe
Racer

Received 340 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by dudeoverthere
Thanks, very informative.

Looks like Porsche really took some shortcuts on the under-carriage protection.

Homologation, weight and cost control may have played a role but definitely the Dakar is not equipped to go further than an unpaved road or some deep snow.
Old 11-27-2022, 05:12 AM
cebe
Racer

Default Under carriage protection

This is the biggest area of concern in my opinion and a potential fail on Porsche part: the skid plate should have gone over this area as the risk is very real even on very light offroad.

The following users liked this post:
991Targa4S (05-01-2023)
Old 11-27-2022, 08:02 AM
IrwinMFletcher
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by cebe
This is the biggest area of concern in my opinion and a potential fail on Porsche part: the skid plate should have gone over this area as the risk is very real even on very light offroad.

other than YouTubers and automag journalists, this model won’t see anything more than hard packed dirt trails and sand dunes.
Old 11-27-2022, 08:34 AM
mksz51
Pro

Received 734 Likes on 283 Posts

We can now call the Dakar a "mall crawler"..............
The following 2 users liked this post by mksz51:
AlexCeres (01-07-2023), IrwinMFletcher (11-27-2022)
Old 11-27-2022, 11:41 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,223 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Is there an echo here ...

So my take on this build is:

A meeting of the Steering Committee guys @P is held several years ago where it's asked if anyone has any new ideas on how to bring more $$$ in. The pseudo historian in the group mentions recalling a Dakar edition which brought new fame and fortune back in the day. A tentative proof of concept is granted and the first and second iteration result in the near cancellation of the project as costs had by far exceeded potential sale prices since this was never intended to go anywhere near Dakar. Still wanting and deeming the project of value, a critical design review was ordered with the creation of a new group consisting of nothing but bean counters. This is the result.... a definite eye catcher at the Mall or Vegas and an insult to the original developers of the winning 911.

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 11-27-2022 at 12:01 PM.
The following users liked this post:
devexpert (07-04-2023)
Old 11-27-2022, 12:16 PM
atlrvr
Rennlist Member

Received 526 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by dudeoverthere
The majority of the article seems to be concerned about the lack of underbody skid plates, specifically discussing the oil plan. The second point is on lack of heat exchanger in the center. Both points are covered in this article. Feels like the writer should have gotten better answers before writing that article.

https://www.pca.org/news/porsche-911...ion-473-hp-awd

1 - skid plates are sold separately through Tequipment. I assume they aren't installed standard as it makes all service more difficult.
​​​​​​
2 - the hood is the same lightweight hood from GT3. There isn't a heat exchanger there to improve approach angle. Additional cooling provided by larger intercoolers. Air flow through hood vents still will improve down force and help balance rear wing, so not purely cosmetic.
The following 3 users liked this post by atlrvr:
cebe (11-27-2022), FloraFauna (01-21-2023), Nein Eleven (05-08-2023)
Old 11-27-2022, 12:47 PM
cebe
Racer

Originally Posted by atlrvr
The majority of the article seems to be concerned about the lack of underbody skid plates, specifically discussing the oil plan. The second point is on lack of heat exchanger in the center. Both points are covered in this article. Feels like the writer should have gotten better answers before writing that article.

https://www.pca.org/news/porsche-911...ion-473-hp-awd

1 - skid plates are sold separately through Tequipment. I assume they aren't installed standard as it makes all service more difficult.
​​​​​​
2 - the hood is the same lightweight hood from GT3. There isn't a heat exchanger there to improve approach angle. Additional cooling provided by larger intercoolers. Air flow through hood vents still will improve down force and help balance rear wing, so not purely cosmetic.
Thank you, another interesting contribution to the discussion and more details about the specific features of the Dakar.

Basically both the water cooling radiators and the intercoolers are from the Turbo but both relocated in a position specific to the Dakar.

Having a skid plate kit to be installed separately aftermarket can make sense, as it is of limited interest for most customers.
Old 11-27-2022, 04:34 PM
Johnauto
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
I am annoyed that it’s a limited model and likely already sold out. As a result, I basically lost immediate interest in it.

Maybe they will make it a regular trim with the 992.2, because the “limited” nonsense is total meh.
Tried getting a Dakar allocation, but since I’m not a top customer at my two dealers I was rejected. Supposedly only 2,500 units.

I will check out and consider Lamborghini Huracan Sterrato when it’s revealed this week. If not Sterrato, then 911 Turbo S.

Don’t think I will be happy with the power in a 911 GTS. Been rejected countless times for 911 and Cayman GT (GT3, GT3 RS, GT4, GT4 RS) new allocations. Not spending $375K for a used GT3 or GT3 Touring. Ferrari Tributo and 296 GTB are all sold out as is Mclaren 720s. Not interested in Corvettes.

Last edited by Johnauto; 11-27-2022 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-27-2022, 05:05 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Interesting, so what's the criteria you're looking for in a vehicle? As to my untrained eye it's more "exclusivity" than actual application since I can't really see the cars you seek as being similar in terms of end use.

The Serrato looks like it has some limited dirt track applicability while the Ferrari clearly doesn't nor I would venture the McLaren. As to the Dakar, there's a lot more than a hood or frunk, an aftermarket oil pan and skid plate to pretend entering in the Paris Dakar or anything close to it.

Just interested as it's a nice choice of cars indeed.

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 11-27-2022 at 07:22 PM.
Old 11-27-2022, 07:40 PM
Johnauto
Racer

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by siberian
Interesting, so what's the criteria you're looking for in a vehicle? As to my untrained eye it's more "exclusivity" than actual application since I can't really see the cars you seek as being similar in terms of end use.

The Serrato looks like it has some limited dirt track applicability while the Ferrari clearly doesn't nor I would venture the McLaren. As to the Dakar, there's a lot more than a hood or frunk, an aftermarket oil pan and skid plate to pretend entering in the Paris Dakar or anything close to it.

Just interested as it's a nice choice of cars indeed.

siberian
Yes the exclusive cars seem to be more extreme and unique plus they usually hold better value for when it is time to trade in for the next car.

Old 11-27-2022, 09:25 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks for clarifying, GL in your search and keep us posted!

siberian
Old 11-28-2022, 11:41 AM
Jon70
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 24 Posts

I will be checking out the Sterrato at the unveiling this Wednesday night in Miami. I have a deposit but still uncertain if I'll end up with an allocation or if I want it.
Old 11-30-2022, 12:47 PM
Skuhi
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by IrwinMFletcher
other than YouTubers and automag journalists, this model won’t see anything more than hard packed dirt trails and sand dunes.
Keep your fingers crossed for me to get my hands on it and then I am making it my company car of engineering infrastructure building company.
Old 11-30-2022, 01:54 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,860 Likes on 4,809 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon70
I will be checking out the Sterrato at the unveiling this Wednesday night in Miami. I have a deposit but still uncertain if I'll end up with an allocation or if I want it.
Looks badass to me.

Got a bit of a Mad Max feel to it.

Quick Reply: 911 Dakar in person