Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burmeister ordered backup aftermarket suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2022, 06:12 PM
dogshyne
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray K.

I was told you need Bose for the amp to plug in and the base stereo doesn't have the amp. also, since the seat bell chime goes thru the stereo, its a safety issue so they can't sell cars unless they are working correctly.
The following users liked this post:
Reata1 (11-19-2022)
Old 11-19-2022, 07:04 PM
rokkerkory
Racer

Received 510 Likes on 172 Posts

How bad / decent is the base sound system? I have a T coming and def not upgrading to burmeister as it is way overpriced.
Old 11-19-2022, 09:29 PM
Reata1
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 55 Posts

Spoke to my SA last weekend and he said they had more BOSE amps holding up vehicles at the dealership than anything else.
johny221 (11-20-2022)
Old 11-19-2022, 09:38 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,188 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Originally Posted by rokkerkory
How bad / decent is the base sound system? I have a T coming and def not upgrading to burmeister as it is way overpriced.
Have you ever driven a UHaul rental cargo van?
The following 4 users liked this post by shrimp money:
minn19 (11-19-2022), Reata1 (11-21-2022), westcoastj (11-20-2022), zachr (11-23-2022)
Old 11-20-2022, 01:50 AM
johny221
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Reata1
Spoke to my SA last weekend and he said they had more BOSE amps holding up vehicles at the dealership than anything else.
I heard same thing with my SA today. He said there were a ton of Macans and Cayennes at the back of the dealer waiting for the Bose amps and they can’t sell until they get them in. He also said the amp was different on those vs 911s.
Old 11-23-2022, 04:51 PM
FullThrottle64
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rokkerkory
From what I have heard (and owned), the Burmester is absolutely NOT overpriced in comparison to the base and Bose options. It really is a great sounding package.
inthesticks (11-23-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 10:01 AM
Reata1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scott P
For the cost of the Burmester option, I'd be willing to bet you could have an installer put a pretty good set up in your car.

Scott, I would totally agree with this.....but, I think there are probably, maybe, 3-4 installers in the country that could do it without F'ing anything else up while he was in the vehicle dicking around trying to install aftermarket equipment. As much as we drop on these cars, the last thing I would want would be to create problems by adding aftermarket (non-specific) equipment to the vehicle.

Nick's stuff seems to be made to fit. His track record of install goes on to say he has this down to a science. Therefore, if I end up having to supplement the Bose system, then would certainly go tot he expense to fly him out to do the installation for me.....

John
Old 11-24-2022, 10:08 AM
Reata1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by FullThrottle64
From what I have heard (and owned), the Burmester is absolutely NOT overpriced in comparison to the base and Bose options. It really is a great sounding package.

FullThrottle64, totally agree on this and have some first hand knowledge on it as well. Wife has the Burmester in her MB and it is a solid 'factory' solution. I had the system in my prior 2020 911, and in fact the 911 version actually either had more bass to it or the smaller cab of the 911 just expands the bass. Either way, it is a much better quality than anything else I have heard that is factory. Crisp highs and deep lows. Of course it depends on what music you like. But I will tell you this, the following is pretty varied and all sound as good as my Klipschorn's....Journey - Lights, Michael Franks Album - Art of Tea, Police - Every Breath You Take, Steve Miller - Dance Dance Dance, you name it from the 80's and it is all solid through the Burmester.
Old 11-24-2022, 10:31 AM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 758 Likes on 337 Posts

FullThrottle64, totally agree on this and have some first hand knowledge on it as well. Wife has the Burmester in her MB and it is a solid 'factory' solution. I had the system in my prior 2020 911, and in fact the 911 version actually either had more bass to it or the smaller cab of the 911 just expands the bass. Either way, it is a much better quality than anything else I have heard that is factory. Crisp highs and deep lows. Of course it depends on what music you like. But I will tell you this, the following is pretty varied and all sound as good as my Klipschorn's....Journey - Lights, Michael Franks Album - Art of Tea, Police - Every Breath You Take, Steve Miller - Dance Dance Dance, you name it from the 80's and it is all solid through the Burmester.
The Burmester in my Mercedes (2019 C63S Coupe) was absolutely awful. Complete garbage. Somehow both boomy and lacking in bass, no detail, just generally ****ty. The 911's Burmester is legitimately a high end system, and while the price tag is a bit higher than I think it should be (maybe 15-20%), that's just the Porsche Tax I suppose.
Reata1 (11-24-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 11:45 AM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Received 637 Likes on 329 Posts

Scott, I would totally agree with this.....but, I think there are probably, maybe, 3-4 installers in the country that could do it without F'ing anything else up while he was in the vehicle dicking around trying to install aftermarket equipment. As much as we drop on these cars, the last thing I would want would be to create problems by adding aftermarket (non-specific) equipment to the vehicle.

Nick's stuff seems to be made to fit. His track record of install goes on to say he has this down to a science. Therefore, if I end up having to supplement the Bose system, then would certainly go tot he expense to fly him out to do the installation for me.....

John
What!?! There is nothing special about the door cards etc in a Porsche that are especially hard for a professional installer. There are at least 3-4 excellent ones in my area alone that could do a setup that don’t use overpriced/cheap Burmester speakers, replacing them with real high quality ones and a custom tuned DSP etc. Where do you guys get these ideas?

Last edited by minn19; 11-24-2022 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-24-2022, 11:59 AM
Reata1
Rennlist Member

I guess it is just my experience with installers here in Dallas. Back in the day (80's) there were a bunch of guys that really knew what they were doing, but today it seems there aren't many at all, or I am out of touch on who is good in town. The recommended one I had do some work and it was subpar at best. I guess my main thought is that the finishes and lines seem really tight in the 911. I would be afraid for anyone that wasn't VERY familiar with the door panels and assorted removable parts to allow them to disassemble anything. Again, I shouldn't have made any comment with out doing a little more research here in town, but the Burmester is fine as far as I am concerned. Really appreciate your feedback though. If you know anyone in Dallas that is capable, please include that detail.
Old 11-24-2022, 12:16 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

I guess it is just my experience with installers here in Dallas. Back in the day (80's) there were a bunch of guys that really knew what they were doing, but today it seems there aren't many at all, or I am out of touch on who is good in town. The recommended one I had do some work and it was subpar at best. I guess my main thought is that the finishes and lines seem really tight in the 911. I would be afraid for anyone that wasn't VERY familiar with the door panels and assorted removable parts to allow them to disassemble anything. Again, I shouldn't have made any comment with out doing a little more research here in town, but the Burmester is fine as far as I am concerned. Really appreciate your feedback though. If you know anyone in Dallas that is capable, please include that detail.
Factory Burmester is “fine” and I get why people do it as they don’t want to drop their new car off for a week or two at an installer and can’t bear the thought of people dissembling parts etc. But factory Burmester speakers are still lower end and much cheaper than a true high end Morel and others for example. Plus, like I said if you have specific tastes they can tune for that or setup a few that you can scroll through for different music.

Unfortunately I have a few rattles in my C4S like a lot of others and one pretty bad one in the passenger door. I trust my installer to help me track that down more than a random tech at the dealer too be honest. No idea about Dallas, but a little while on Google I found two highly recommended ones in my area and was told about two others. I’m sure you could easily find the same in Dallas. Our 911s won’t be the nicest cars they’ve seen or worked on, I can guarantee that from my local one at least. He’s done some really cool high end builds in some really pricey stuff. I can’t imagine the Dallas area is any different.

Musicar looks like a great option, just wish in the past I was closer to him. I’d feel bad bringing outside parts to my guy as he is a small business owner to and needs to keep the lights on as they say.

Last edited by minn19; 11-24-2022 at 12:18 PM.
Old 11-24-2022, 12:27 PM
Reata1
Rennlist Member

Thanks I am on the Musicar list in case the Burmester doesnt even show up.....Pretty sure Nick is working on a Burmester upgrade as well. If he has that ready in the future and I can find a couple of others that want it done we can share the cost of flying Nick in to do the work.
minn19 (11-24-2022)
Old 11-24-2022, 12:30 PM
minn19
Rennlist Member

Thanks I am on the Musicar list in case the Burmester doesnt even show up.....Pretty sure Nick is working on a Burmester upgrade as well. If he has that ready in the future and I can find a couple of others that want it done we can share the cost of flying Nick in to do the work.
Good luck, it’ll be worth it in the end. I know a lot of people are against upgrading any of the systems in these cars, but I’ve been very happy every time I’ve done it.
Old 11-24-2022, 12:41 PM
Reata1
Rennlist Member

Agreed, I am totally NOT against upgrades as I plan to drive this car. I drive all of my cars, why have them if you are not going to drive it.....What's the fun in having something you can't drive? Funny thing, I just installed a backup generator at our lake house and I laughed telling the installer, "this is the first engine I have ever bought that I cannot drive!" We both had a good laugh.
minn19 (11-24-2022)

Quick Reply: Burmeister ordered backup aftermarket suggestions?