Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on impact of small lip spoiler on lift/downforce?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2022, 11:13 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,512 Likes on 744 Posts
Default Opinions on impact of small lip spoiler on lift/downforce?

Considering to add this lip spoiler that allows me to keep my aero lift. I now wonder how much it changes the aero when spoiler is up aka could it cause some front lift at high speeds due to additional downforce in rear...or rather negligible? I have seen one car that had it but don't remember who it was.

Old 10-17-2022, 11:20 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,192 Likes on 1,479 Posts

Sure it will change the Aero - but no one can tell you how much unless they have a wind tunnel and a bank of computers at the ready. Most aero doesn't come into play until 85 to 90 mph, and not many drive that fast on a daily basis. Usually those small spoilers create more drag than anything else and may cut a few MPH off your top speed, that's probably all it will do.
Old 10-17-2022, 11:26 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by drcollie
Sure it will change the Aero - but no one can tell you how much unless they have a wind tunnel and a bank of computers at the ready. Most aero doesn't come into play until 85 to 90 mph, and not many drive that fast on a daily basis. Usually those small spoilers create more drag than anything else and may cut a few MPH off your top speed, that's probably all it will do.
That what I would expect too. Just wondering if someone has a similar one and has experienced anything of significance. But stability at high speed is important and I feel the 992 is already pretty light up front above 100.
The following users liked this post:
Ull (10-18-2022)
Old 10-18-2022, 03:38 AM
Ull
Instructor

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I finally figured out what the frunk is for, place gym weights in the frunk for additional weight on the front end why bother with aero math, just make the front end heavier, if you want to add the spoiler lip too go for it

My 992s cab front end feels light above 100-140 depending on conditions, almost always a heavy wind (perpendicularly/tangentially to the car most likely) and going uphill (or downhill, though ive gone downhill at 165speedo and it was planted on that occassion, same for uphill regularly, so I think its the wind speed and direction more than anything else). Never thought about it till now but filling it with some weight (that doesnt move around) will probably do more than aero bits (I too have explored aero bits and kits, but it seems complicated, can I mix bits? Cant i? Too much effort lol...the car can probably compensate for +frunk weight very easily by comparison)

Last edited by Ull; 10-18-2022 at 03:53 AM.
Old 10-18-2022, 05:07 AM
CanAutM3
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,328 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Ull
I finally figured out what the frunk is for, place gym weights in the frunk for additional weight on the front end why bother with aero math, just make the front end heavier, if you want to add the spoiler lip too go for it

My 992s cab front end feels light above 100-140 depending on conditions, almost always a heavy wind (perpendicularly/tangentially to the car most likely) and going uphill (or downhill, though ive gone downhill at 165speedo and it was planted on that occassion, same for uphill regularly, so I think its the wind speed and direction more than anything else). Never thought about it till now but filling it with some weight (that doesnt move around) will probably do more than aero bits (I too have explored aero bits and kits, but it seems complicated, can I mix bits? Cant i? Too much effort lol...the car can probably compensate for +frunk weight very easily by comparison)
Weight is the enemy if performance. More weight is always a bad thing. Period.
Old 10-18-2022, 05:16 AM
Ull
Instructor

Originally Posted by CanAutM3
Weight is the enemy if performance. More weight is always a bad thing. Period.
The math doesnt add up there, if you can go faster because you have more weight providing more front downforce which prevents front end instability via the force of gravity or whatever bs acting on the additional front weight then more weight is not actually a bad thing

the problem is front end instability due to a lack of downforce which prevents going faster, the simple solution is to just add some weight to the front providing downforce via gravity which allows you to push the car further

not to mention adding weight to the frunk is one of the few ways you can safely change your cars downforce properties without modifying your car externally

Since it has to be spelled out, nobody said you cant add some performance enhancing dr,,,,devices to the frunk instead of dead weight, obviously im too lazy to look into what you can shove in there to increase weight and performance, but im sure it already exists and has been done

exterior downforce elements are cool but dont forget about interior downforce elements just because you cant see them

Last edited by Ull; 10-18-2022 at 05:29 AM.
Old 10-18-2022, 05:58 AM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Originally Posted by Ull
The math doesnt add up there, if you can go faster because you have more weight providing more front downforce which prevents front end instability via the force of gravity or whatever bs acting on the additional front weight then more weight is not actually a bad thing

the problem is front end instability due to a lack of downforce which prevents going faster, the simple solution is to just add some weight to the front providing downforce via gravity which allows you to push the car further

not to mention adding weight to the frunk is one of the few ways you can safely change your cars downforce properties without modifying your car externally

Since it has to be spelled out, nobody said you cant add some performance enhancing dr,,,,devices to the frunk instead of dead weight, obviously im too lazy to look into what you can shove in there to increase weight and performance, but im sure it already exists and has been done

exterior downforce elements are cool but dont forget about interior downforce elements just because you cant see them
adding weight to the front will not increase downforce, you’ll only get that through aero. It will marginally increase mechanical grip but there are better ways to do that than adding weight.
balucipher (10-18-2022)
Old 10-18-2022, 08:16 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,145 Likes on 3,010 Posts

A 911 deserves better than aero tacked on with 3M sticky tape.

Anything you do at the back of the car needs to be balanced with a change at the front. The SPASM spoiler goes higher than the standard chassis cars and is necessarily paired with a bigger front lip. The GT3RS gets all of that crazy front aero, because it’s got a huge rear wing.

Old 10-18-2022, 09:04 AM
Tanqueray86
Banned

Received 223 Likes on 106 Posts

I have the Techart Spoiler I, which is a add-on spoiler lip, similar to what is shown by the OP.

I can’t feel any difference in drivability, downforce, horse power gains or the number of heads it turns. I’ll still do it again though, since it looks nice on my Carmine Red.
Old 10-18-2022, 09:09 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tanqueray86
I have the Techart Spoiler I, which is a add-on spoiler lip, similar to what is shown by the OP.

I can’t feel any difference in drivability, downforce, horse power gains or the number of heads it turns. I’ll still do it again though, since it looks nice on my Carmine Red.
Thanks for sharing. I have seen the Techart - it’s a very small lip version of the one from DP.
Old 10-18-2022, 10:27 AM
Ull
Instructor

Originally Posted by aggie57
adding weight to the front will not increase downforce, you’ll only get that through aero. It will marginally increase mechanical grip but there are better ways to do that than adding weight.
thats literally not true

Do you not understand what the words down and force mean when combined?

downforce
noun
Any force (produced by aerodynamics or gravity etc) that acts downwards

Adding weight to the front increases the down force of gravity in that area of the car, its not complicated. If front end lift is the issue, you need more front end downforce, how you get downforce doesnt matter. Downforce is downforce. If you cant physically see the force equations because your imagination is so dull thats fine, just take my word for it

Some of you clowns didnt pay any attention in school and it shows, if youre going to correct me can you at least be right? It creates an unnecessary extertion of effort for me if you correct me and you're wrong

Last edited by Ull; 10-18-2022 at 10:44 AM.
Old 10-18-2022, 12:54 PM
drcollie
Race Car

Received 4,192 Likes on 1,479 Posts

"Some of you clowns didnt pay any attention in school and it shows, if youre going to correct me can you at least be right? It creates an unnecessary extertion of effort for me if you correct me and you're wrong"

Ahhhh...a Newbie, I see!

You will find that on Rennlist, there is ALWAYS - ALWAYS - someone who will take issue with your post. You can say "The sky is blue" and that will trigger someone who objects to that description of the sky. To stay mentally healthy, just make your post and move on.....that's the Rennlist Way.
The following 4 users liked this post by drcollie:
aggie57 (10-19-2022), KLOC (10-19-2022), Tanqueray86 (10-19-2022), Ull (10-18-2022)
Old 10-18-2022, 01:48 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ull
thats literally not true

downforce
noun

Adding weight to the front increases the down force of gravity in that area of the car, its not complicated. If front end lift is the issue, you need more front end downforce, how you get downforce doesnt matter. Downforce is downforce. If you cant physically see the force equations because your imagination is so dull thats fine, just take my word for it

Some of you clowns didnt pay any attention in school and it shows, if youre going to correct me can you at least be right? It creates an unnecessary extertion of effort for me if you correct me and you're wrong
I think its more about that adding weight is not as effective as aerodynamic downforce, i.e. got to add quite some weight and aero is speed dependent and does not add much unwanted weight. Btw, I did add weight in the front of my boat...for the simple purpose to be able to get on plane faster though ;-) (in lack of having people sitting up front in the cabin).
But thanks for everybody's comments. I come from a V8 AMG, that was heavy up front and incredible planted at high speeds (but terrible traction in rear) and I had to get used to the rather light footed 911. Surprised me when I took her out for >100mph for first time. Any small crosswind and it gets a bit uncomfortable.
Ull (10-18-2022)
Old 10-18-2022, 02:29 PM
null
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Ull
thats literally not true

downforce
noun

By any chance did they cover inertia and mass in your class?

Adding mass is neither a substitute for aerodynamic downforce, nor a good recipe for "performance."

Sorry if you were joking - can't really tell from your posts.

The following 3 users liked this post by null:
KLOC (10-19-2022), Tobeit (10-18-2022), zachr (10-19-2022)
Old 10-18-2022, 10:29 PM
Ull
Instructor

Originally Posted by null
By any chance did they cover inertia and mass in your class?

Adding mass is neither a substitute for aerodynamic downforce, nor a good recipe for "performance."

Sorry if you were joking - can't really tell from your posts.
1. I slept through all my classes and I don't remember anything, I'm a professional

2. Point to where I said adding weight was a substitute for aerodynamic downforce and not an additional type of downforce, or where I said it was a good recipe for performance. Our cars have more than enough performance, what they lack is front end downforce, okay additional weight is not ideal for performance but if its the difference between you having to cool off at 100 vs being able to push further, thats another kind of performance gain. I'm not saying adding weight is something you would do to win a race, I am saying the car is more than capable of accomodating for extra weight (gym weights was a joke ofc, dont want things sliding around) in the frunk area, and in a situtation where a lack of front end downforce prevents the car from pushing further, this could be a solution.

3. I told you, I'm a professional - if you could tell whether or not I'm joking I'd be doing something wrong - if you dismissed it as a joke it wouldnt be thought provoking, now would it? But if i was serious all the time, thatd be pretty boring I think. The duality of man

Originally Posted by Tobeit
I think its more about that adding weight is not as effective as aerodynamic downforce, i.e. got to add quite some weight and aero is speed dependent and does not add much unwanted weight. Btw, I did add weight in the front of my boat...for the simple purpose to be able to get on plane faster though ;-) (in lack of having people sitting up front in the cabin).
But thanks for everybody's comments. I come from a V8 AMG, that was heavy up front and incredible planted at high speeds (but terrible traction in rear) and I had to get used to the rather light footed 911. Surprised me when I took her out for >100mph for first time. Any small crosswind and it gets a bit uncomfortable.
Yeah I totally get what you mean about the crosswinds, they are my biggest problem - after looking at the GT3 RS ive decided the regular 992s suffer from a lack of downforce on the front end. From my POV the frunk is entirely useless because thats what the other seats are for if you really have to transport stuff. These cars really should have something more useful thrown in to that slot, something that brings both weight and performance advantages would be great. I dont see how having an empty frunk is in any way helping my 992 deal with certain winds, its not a horsepower issue, seems to be a lack of downforce preventing the car from squirreling around at higher speeds+windy....so reducing performance slightly could be a viable solution, if something with both weight and performance was unavailable. Which brings me to simply adding weight to keep the front end planted, since I'm too lazy to figure out what offers both weight and performance.

Btw about the boat thing, too bad we cant actively fill/empty the frunk with something that has weight while driving along

Originally Posted by drcollie
"Some of you clowns didnt pay any attention in school and it shows, if youre going to correct me can you at least be right? It creates an unnecessary extertion of effort for me if you correct me and you're wrong"

Ahhhh...a Newbie, I see!

You will find that on Rennlist, there is ALWAYS - ALWAYS - someone who will take issue with your post. You can say "The sky is blue" and that will trigger someone who objects to that description of the sky. To stay mentally healthy, just make your post and move on.....that's the Rennlist Way.
today I learned about the Rennlist Way thanks for the tip

Last edited by Ull; 10-18-2022 at 10:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Opinions on impact of small lip spoiler on lift/downforce?