Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown Rear windshield

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2022, 06:30 PM
F8Driver
Pro

Received 345 Likes on 205 Posts

I've experienced spontaneous destruction with a tempered glass shower door, but never seen it in an automotive application. If there was a small rock hit that caused a minuscule chip, its possible that when the car underwent a temperature change, a crack would develop; but the whole window destroyed? I'd guess a stress riser caused by incorrect assembly.
Old 10-04-2022, 06:58 PM
Majed
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by F8Driver
I've experienced spontaneous destruction with a tempered glass shower door, but never seen it in an automotive application. If there was a small rock hit that caused a minuscule chip, its possible that when the car underwent a temperature change, a crack would develop; but the whole window destroyed? I'd guess a stress riser caused by incorrect assembly.
This makes a lot of sense to me
Thanks
Old 10-04-2022, 10:28 PM
aquatone
Instructor

Received 170 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Majed
They think it must be caused by an external factor (a rock or something). Which is not true as i heard the sound when it happened and i have a CCTV in place.
You have a CCTV video showing this happening? Can you upload it? That would be pretty hard for Porsche to refute.
Old 10-04-2022, 10:38 PM
Shambler
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 138 Posts

Reminds me of a time I heard a lot noise in the garage and couldn't figure out, until the next morning when one of the garage doors wouldn't open, because spring snapped.

This was before the safety cable was in those springs.
The following users liked this post:
Majed (10-05-2022)
Old 10-05-2022, 12:02 AM
Richard_Wallace
Rennlist Member

Received 1,740 Likes on 776 Posts

I have only seen this one time in 30 years of auto ownership.. (assuming no damage before hand). It was an extreme temperature change from hot to cold. I had this happen only once, I was in a 70 degree temp, went to a place that dropped in an unexpected temperature vortex that went down to -19 degree (F) overnight. Got in the car, started it the next morning, and it literally exploded the front windshield. Due to the heater being on (not hot as it was a cold start) but enough that it popped the front windshield when I turned on the car. Made me jump out of my seat.

I have to assume you had some (unknown to you) damage, and with the change it pressure, temp, etc. that cause it to rupture.

I have to say, honestly, if I were porsche - knowing that this is a rare bird of occurrence - I probably would not cover it either. However, your insurance should (depending on where you are).

My only guess is you had a small chip/damage on your rear windscreen, and some temp/humidity situation caused it.
Old 10-05-2022, 02:07 AM
Majed
Track Day

Originally Posted by aquatone
You have a CCTV video showing this happening? Can you upload it? That would be pretty hard for Porsche to refute.
Unfortunately, the CCTV shows the front side of the car only. I used it with the dealer that there was no external factor such as chips and/or somebody has broken the glass.
Old 10-05-2022, 02:11 AM
Majed
Track Day

Originally Posted by Richard_Wallace
I have only seen this one time in 30 years of auto ownership.. (assuming no damage before hand). It was an extreme temperature change from hot to cold. I had this happen only once, I was in a 70 degree temp, went to a place that dropped in an unexpected temperature vortex that went down to -19 degree (F) overnight. Got in the car, started it the next morning, and it literally exploded the front windshield. Due to the heater being on (not hot as it was a cold start) but enough that it popped the front windshield when I turned on the car. Made me jump out of my seat.

I have to assume you had some (unknown to you) damage, and with the change it pressure, temp, etc. that cause it to rupture.

I have to say, honestly, if I were porsche - knowing that this is a rare bird of occurrence - I probably would not cover it either. However, your insurance should (depending on where you are).

My only guess is you had a small chip/damage on your rear windscreen, and some temp/humidity situation caused it.
This might be right. There is always a probability that I could have (unnoticed chip). But there was no temp/humidity change as the car was parked for several hours when this happened 😔
Old 10-05-2022, 07:28 AM
rdv
Rennlist Member

Received 208 Likes on 103 Posts

Safelite Repair, Safelite Replace!
The following 2 users liked this post by rdv:
jtsrenn (10-05-2022), ScottTurbo (10-05-2022)
Old 10-05-2022, 08:19 AM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 930 Likes on 489 Posts

I've seen it happen on other cars. Parked on a curb, the stresses on the body put pressure on the window frame until the glass broke. A Porsche is probably too rigid for this to happen.
Majed (10-05-2022)
Old 10-05-2022, 01:33 PM
dhirm5
Rennlist Member

Received 1,464 Likes on 803 Posts

Tempered glass can spontaneously explode. I've had it happen in a glass enclosed conference room; no external factor, just *boom*. I'm not surprised to hear it can happen to auto glass as well. There are a number of technical reasons tempered glass might explode, that we have no control over as consumers; stuff during manufacturing process, etc. To us buyers/consumers it's just a spontaneous explosion of the glass.

This should be covered under warranty.
Majed (10-05-2022)
Old 10-05-2022, 02:17 PM
slc4s
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,297 Likes on 650 Posts

this was a real problem for some time with bmw sunroofs. The problem you have is that it looks like there was an impact point on the lower corner which will give them all sorts of excuses to try and get out of covering it.
Majed (10-05-2022)
Old 10-05-2022, 02:31 PM
Majed
Track Day

Update:
i have got a reply from Porsche today. They refused to replace the glass under warranty. They claim that they never faced a similar issue and this must have been caused by an external factor. !!
Old 10-05-2022, 03:11 PM
turbonator
Instructor

Received 122 Likes on 63 Posts

It's very disappointing to hear these stories. Is Porsche a premium brand? I'd like to think so but the stories about how they're always trying to find ways to not cover things under warranty is troubling. Check out the thread about windshield gaskets deteriorating. Apparently it's been going on for years and when you bring it to the dealer they'll say you caused it by using some forbidden car shampoo or cleaner.
Old 10-05-2022, 04:13 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 768 Likes on 340 Posts

Sorry to hear that, OP.

Semi-off-topic, I've heard in stories dealing with telecoms in America (specifically AT&T) that their "office of the president" is fairly attentive to complaints about poor customer experiences and tend to be able to resolve . I wonder if Porsche has a similar organization that you can escalate a complaint to. I agree that "this must have been caused by an external factor" is bull****. My company just moved us into a brand new office building, and three times now they've had a window randomly shatter, unprompted. I've had shower glass shatter unprompted as well. Yes, something went wrong, but there's no more reason to believe it was an outside force than that your window glass, gasket, housing, or something else about how the car rolled off the assembly line caused this.
Old 10-05-2022, 04:16 PM
kim9701
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 105 Posts

Kind of surprising from Porsche given the fact that the 3 corners have fractures. I can't imagine what "external factors" caused by the driver could result into something like this. Perhaps someone drove like a daredevil and caused the structure to twist?

Quick Reply: Blown Rear windshield