Sponsored by:

Hurricane Ian

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2022, 09:31 PM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 758 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Patton250
I have a lot of friends in Fort Myers that are in big trouble right now. Direct hit. The storm was so strong that it really messed up people 30, 40 and 50 miles inland. We always expect the barrier islands to get destroyed but never so much damage inland. It’s bad. It’s really bad. I’m so glad it didn’t hit Tampa but at the same time I can’t help but be really moved on what’s happening down in Southwest Florida. Our church will be helping out.
I estimate at least a year just to rebuild the bridge for the islands. Inland repairs will come sooner but the most destroyed areas wight vanish completely . That is what happened in Andrew . People simply left . It was too much hurt . It will return gradually within a 18 months . The islands will take 2- 5 years . When Andrew hit I stayed in Ft Lauderdale which is an hour away while rebuilding. Its 3 hours away from Ft Myers which is harder but a person could rent here (Miami) and and periodically check to update . With technology and such it might be assailer now than 1992 was . It's a long grueling process . I have done it. Its not for everyone though . Some might quit and leave. Its sad to see so much loss in a flash .

Last edited by yrralis1; 10-03-2022 at 09:33 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by yrralis1:
Patton250 (10-03-2022), pro1200 (10-04-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 09:33 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Received 758 Likes on 337 Posts

Worth emphasizing that we're sending military aide: when you see dollar figures, you're seeing the value of equipment being sent, if I understand correctly.

We're getting a lot of bang for our buck with our military aide to Ukraine, too. We're helping embarrass Russia and Putin on a global stage, and learning quite a bit about their modern military capabilities and strategy in the process. All that for a fraction of our annual military spending.

Last edited by zachr; 10-03-2022 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-03-2022, 09:39 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 962 Posts

How much tax money floats your boat to embarrass Putin?

Putin embarrass easily I am sure

You have a dollar to spend

You must feed your family, provide shelter, security and you have nothing left over

Do you not feed your family and send money to your neighbor? Mind you your "neighbor" is not your friend, ally or within 7,000 miles. Do you not feed your family first?

We are sending money we dont have. Inflation is ravishing our poor and lower middle class and the pain hasnt really started. It will be a difficult next few years feeding other family while Americans are paying the price for this insane policy

Embarrass Putin what a joke

The following 3 users liked this post by 996AE:
8250RPM (10-03-2022), dixonk (10-03-2022), shrimp money (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 09:41 PM
PHX
Burning Brakes

Received 678 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
I will repeat - The US has the resources to aide Florida (although the state of Florida should pick up a large %) ,
LOL. If the mighty Maryland and your house "on the water" got clocked and you lost your house, you'd be singing quite a different tune about it all.

Short sighted narcissistic behavior, if I've ever seen it. Geez, have a heart and a bit of compassion...wait, no, you'd rather sit on your throne and decide only on what you've "noticed" and "seemed" without any definitive data and proof to back your statement up. The one on home insurance, if you're rereading your post.

I actually take that first point back, I'm sure you'd be just fine, this is Rennlist where everyone has paid cash for their cars and are just super amazing at life and have it all made. I forgot that.

Seriously though if it doesn't affect you and you don't live here, then why are you pontificating in here? Is that all you have to offer? People lost their lives, all they had, and on up to million dollar cars. Karma is a beyotch.

Cheers.
The following users liked this post:
shrimp money (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 09:41 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

Received 770 Likes on 416 Posts

“Every bit as corrupt as Russia”.

Every country has some corruption. But to even suggest Ukraine is more corrupt than Russia only indicates to me your watch too much Tucker Carlson.
I don’t watch the news anymore. It’s mostly propaganda. I read. And yes they are every bit as corrupt if not more corrupt than Russia. Absolutely everyone knows this except for you apparently. This really is the wrong place for this conversation though. this thread is about hurricane Ian
The following 3 users liked this post by Patton250:
8250RPM (10-03-2022), dixonk (10-03-2022), shrimp money (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 09:43 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,275 Posts

Originally Posted by dixonk
If only a global alliance existed for this type of scenario where they would be covered in such an event…oh well I will bow out of this topic.

Prayers for the people of Florida and any other place effected by the hurricane.

This much I am certain of -

If we don’t learn from history, whether it be the 3 major hurricanes to hit Florida in the past 5 years, or even appeasing Putin in his quest for more territorial control (as was done in 2014 with Russian annexation of Crimea)….these lessons will most assuredly repeat themselves again, and again.
Old 10-03-2022, 09:46 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,460 Likes on 962 Posts

US has the resources to aide Florida

Do you mean ignore the 32T Federal debt and print some more money and forget about the border crisis, housing crisis, worker shortage, doctor shortage, teacher shortage, soon food shortage

Sure, we have unlimited resource and there wont be any consequences the the out of control spending or open borders

Okay

I heard men can have babies and teaching LGBTQ+ abc to our K-3rd graders is good for them

got it
The following 3 users liked this post by 996AE:
8250RPM (10-03-2022), dixonk (10-03-2022), GTS524 (10-05-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 09:49 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

I don’t watch the news anymore. It’s mostly propaganda. I read. And yes they are every bit as corrupt if not more corrupt than Russia. Absolutely everyone knows this except for you apparently. This really is the wrong place for this conversation though. this thread is about hurricane Ian

You brought it up.

Russia is rife with corruption. Look no further than the Russian Oligarchs. I would love to hear a few example of major Ukrainian corruption? You can PM me if you like. But corruption aside, at least Ukraine doesn’t assassinated political opponents and others deemed enemies of the state. Nor does it invade Severn neighboring countries.
detansinn (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 09:59 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

This much I am certain of -

If we don’t learn from history, whether it be the 3 major hurricanes to hit Florida in the past 5 years, or even appeasing Putin in his quest for more territorial control (as was done in 2014 with Russian annexation of Crimea)….these lessons will most assuredly repeat themselves again, and again.
what would you like us to learn from hurricanes hitting Florida? They have been hitting Florida for thousands of years. Are you saying we shouldn’t build beach homes? maybe no one should live in Florida? What’s your point?
Old 10-03-2022, 10:00 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by 996AE
US has the resources to aide Florida

Do you mean ignore the 32T Federal debt and print some more money and forget about the border crisis, housing crisis, worker shortage, doctor shortage, teacher shortage, soon food shortage

Sure, we have unlimited resource and there wont be any consequences the the out of control spending or open borders

Okay

I heard men can have babies and teaching LGBTQ+ abc to our K-3rd graders is good for them

got it
Why would I ignore the federal deficit like Trump did? He added a big bump during his term. But how one views this discussion depends on whether you believe in trickle up, or trickle down economics.

Teacher shortage? That very much is a local/state issue, not federal.

Border crossing? I have mixed opinions on that when I look at houses in my neighborhood getting their roofs done, or lawns cut or houses built….all done by Hispanics, and often, illegals….because they do jobs that most Americans don’t want, for pennies. Point being - it’s a balancing act and it’s not all negative.

Worker shortage? See above.

Food shortage? Not at my supermarket. But shortages we did have 6 months ago, were mainl;y cause from distribution delays.

Old 10-03-2022, 10:00 PM
Patton250
Rennlist Member

You brought it up.

Russia is rife with corruption. Look no further than the Russian Oligarchs. I would love to hear a few example of major Ukrainian corruption? You can PM me if you like. But corruption aside, at least Ukraine doesn’t assassinated political opponents and others deemed enemies of the state. Nor does it invade Severn neighboring countries.
Holy crap man. Do you even have the Internet beyond this forum? Why don’t you just look it up. Yes Russia is corrupt. They are a bunch of freaking gangsters. That’s for sure. All I’m telling you is that the Ukraine has always been freaking corrupt. They’re a damn joke. They have oligarchs also. This conversation is stupid. I feel like I’m talking to an eight year old. I’m out of here.
The following 2 users liked this post by Patton250:
dixonk (10-04-2022), shrimp money (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 10:06 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

what would you like us to learn from hurricanes hitting Florida? They have been hitting Florida for thousands of years. Are you saying we shouldn’t build beach homes? maybe no one should live in Florida? What’s your point?
Much like what California did with earthquakes….they made the building codes tougher to withstand large earthquakes. Florida could do a lot more to help reduce (not eliminate) a lot of the damage cause by hurricanes. And yes, reduce the amount of building rigjht along the coast. Many states have similar restrictions. My house is on the water, but its about 75 above water level. Even if I was allowed to build my house right at water level, I would be foolish, and should assume all risk, if I threw common sense to the wind.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 10-03-2022 at 10:16 PM.
zachr (10-04-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 10:12 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Holy crap man. Do you even have the Internet beyond this forum? Why don’t you just look it up. Yes Russia is corrupt. They are a bunch of freaking gangsters. That’s for sure. All I’m telling you is that the Ukraine has always been freaking corrupt. They’re a damn joke. They have oligarchs also. This conversation is stupid. I feel like I’m talking to an eight year old. I’m out of here.
#1 What’s “stupid” is trying to compare which country is more corrupt than the other. For every example of Ukrainian corruption, I can easily reciprocate with examples of Russian corruption.

#2 Ukrainian and or Russian corruption is not what’s at play here, and you know that. responding to unprovoked aggression from Russia is. Not to mention that Putin’s Russia has a proven track record of eliminating or jailing (like the mob) all dissenters….whether they be in their Country, or in another.

And to use your words, “I feel like I’m talking to an 8 year old”. PM me if you want to compare resumes….academic, or otherwise.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 10-03-2022 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-03-2022, 10:19 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,188 Likes on 2,066 Posts

Border crossing? I have mixed opinions on that when I look at houses in my neighborhood getting their roofs done, or lawns cut or houses built….all done by Hispanics, and often, illegals….because they do jobs that most Americans don’t want, for pennies. Point being - it’s a balancing act and it’s not all negative.
You might as well say you only tolerate Asians because they do a great mani-pedi, and Blacks are only good for watching them play basketball. Your statement above says slave labor is ok because you need someone to do hard labor.

I apologize for derailing this thread. My only point is that as a tax payer, I’d rather my money go to rebuilding Florida, or any coastal town over and over than anywhere outside of our country. We vacation in Florida, people in Florida vacation to other states, the money goes round and round.
The following 3 users liked this post by shrimp money:
8250RPM (10-03-2022), dixonk (10-04-2022), PHX (10-04-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 10:33 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by shrimp money
You might as well say you only tolerate Asians because they do a great mani-pedi, and Blacks are only good for watching them play basketball. Your statement above says slave labor is ok because you need someone to do hard labor.

That would be your misinterpretation of what I said.

I have the highest respect for Asians. The best man at my wedding is Asian. As an engineer, and former owner of a high tech company, I not only went to school with many Asians, but employed quite a few. Smart and hard working…and yes, they were paid well for their skills.

When was the last time you saw a white guy, or a black guy doing a roofing job?? I honestly can’t think of the last time I saw either up on a hot roof making $15/hr. My comment about Hispanics is nothing more than an observation…whom I respect for doing such a hard and potentially dangerous job for peanuts. Strip away all the Hispanics doing housing construction, and I guarantee you new houses would cost 4%-8% more.

I apologize for derailing this thread. My only point is that as a tax payer, I’d rather my money go to rebuilding Florida, or any coastal town over and over than anywhere outside of our country. We vacation in Florida, people in Florida vacation to other states, the money goes round and round.
I think most Americans would disagree with you, and despite all the political division in this country, supporting Ukraine is i one of the few issues that most of Congress strongly support.

That said, Biden has already pledged X billions for Florida. But ultimately, it is the Florida State legislature that has the final word on helping to insure something of this magnitude doesn’t happen again. There are engineering/structural and legislative measure thast can be put in place for the next time this happens…and it will happen again.;

As Einstein once said, ” Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting a different result”. Maybe Florida can learn from history? But probably not.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 10-03-2022 at 10:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Hurricane Ian