Sponsored by:

Hurricane Ian

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2022, 06:35 AM
DEALKLR911
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Hurricane Ian

With a heavy heart I post these pics. A lot of people lost their lives and my prayers are with them.

Vehicles are replaceable. All of these vehicles were fully submerged in ocean water from the storm surge. This is just a small amount of the devastation here in Southwest Florida.

Enjoy them while you can.

Old 10-03-2022, 07:33 AM
991.1 Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 920 Likes on 485 Posts

Yes to my friends in SW Florida that I have met at Sebring I hope for the best for you.

Old 10-03-2022, 09:22 AM
PBoxS986
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

Never understood how people leave their luxury cars in harms way during a hurricane. You have usually have at least a week's notice.
Old 10-03-2022, 09:36 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 758 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by PBoxS986
Never understood how people leave their luxury cars in harms way during a hurricane. You have usually have at least a week's notice.
The uncertainty with the two trusted models originally placed the storm more likely to hit Tampa. By the time they evacuated Fort Myers many of the hotels were filled and they were given short notice. Some did leave but others thought it may even miss them. The result was clearly catastrophic. My heart goes out to anyone impacted by the storm. I am in Miami and no stranger to hurricanes.
The following 3 users liked this post by yrralis1:
991.1 Guy (10-03-2022), Patton250 (10-03-2022), tourenwagen (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 10:43 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Received 2,246 Likes on 1,275 Posts

Count your blessings, it could be worse. Million dollar P1, destroyed:

https://jalopnik.com/mclaren-p1-subm...ith-1849596914

But sure most of these owners had insurance to cover most, if not all of the cost? My sympathy is for those in Fla that had nothing to begin with, and now they have even less. Lots, and lots of Floridians living in destroyed trailers, with no insurance. Now what? People living on those barrier islands are living on borrowed time….to begin with.

But as tragic as this is….stuff like this is becoming the new norm. Either heed the warning and move somewhere less prone to flooding, or, eventually, pay the price.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 10-03-2022 at 10:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
redbaron01 (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 10:48 AM
tourenwagen
Three Wheelin'

Received 4,396 Likes on 1,200 Posts

Originally Posted by CodyBigdog
Count your blessings, it could be worse. Million dollar P1, destroyed:

https://jalopnik.com/mclaren-p1-subm...ith-1849596914

But sure most of these owners had insurance to cover most, if not all of the cost? My sympathy is for those in Fla that had nothing to begin with, and now they have even less. Lots, and lots of Floridians living in destroyed trailers, with no insurance. Now what?

But as tragic as this is….stuff like this is becoming the new norm. Either heed the warning and move somewhere less prone to flooding, or, eventually, pay the price.
Closer to $3M, not even counting the Rolls Royce
Old 10-03-2022, 10:50 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,512 Likes on 744 Posts

I assume you don't live in Florida? It is more important to secure your home and your families lives than a car. Also, think about it - how do 10,000's of people remove their cars from harms way in a hurry which was a 10ft+ storm surge. There are only limited high parking garages you can take them to and that assumes the parking garage building does not get damaged. Also, driving the car to distant location was not really possible either (and its low priority) ...from SE Florida all cities they could have quickly drive too also flooded. Finally, this storm developed between in the Caribbean Sea and not at the coast of Africa. Only the latter gives you a week to watch. If you live here you get a better appreciation how to manage Hurricane risk. Cars are just that - cars.

We got lucky were we live (East Coast of Florida) and even we have never seen the water levels of the coastal region that high since maybe 15 years.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tobeit:
Patton250 (10-03-2022), PHX (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 10:51 AM
CodyBigdog
Banned

..tic toc.

If any industry tracts the data, the statistics about the likelihood of similar events happening again…it’s the insurance industry. Unless subsidized by the state of Florida, expect more insurance companies to either pull out of Florida, or significantly raise premiums. Everybody in Florida is going to feel some sort of pain from Ian.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 10-03-2022 at 11:07 AM.
Old 10-03-2022, 01:16 PM
PBoxS986
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobeit
I assume you don't live in Florida? It is more important to secure your home and your families lives than a car. Also, think about it - how do 10,000's of people remove their cars from harms way in a hurry which was a 10ft+ storm surge. There are only limited high parking garages you can take them to and that assumes the parking garage building does not get damaged. Also, driving the car to distant location was not really possible either (and its low priority) ...from SE Florida all cities they could have quickly drive too also flooded. Finally, this storm developed between in the Caribbean Sea and not at the coast of Africa. Only the latter gives you a week to watch. If you live here you get a better appreciation how to manage Hurricane risk. Cars are just that - cars.

We got lucky were we live (East Coast of Florida) and even we have never seen the water levels of the coastal region that high since maybe 15 years.
it’s just laziness and being ill-prepared. Unfortunately this negligence costs me more on my insurance every year.
Old 10-03-2022, 03:25 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

it’s just laziness and being ill-prepared. Unfortunately this negligence costs me more on my insurance every year.
I recommend you only judge and talk about things you have first hand experience. Do you?
Old 10-03-2022, 03:44 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,772 Likes on 5,138 Posts

Do you live in a glass house?

Even if you do not, I hope you never throw stones. Again.
The following 4 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
aggie57 (10-04-2022), detansinn (10-03-2022), Patton250 (10-03-2022), PHX (10-03-2022)
Old 10-03-2022, 04:15 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

..tic toc.

If any industry tracts the data, the statistics about the likelihood of similar events happening again…it’s the insurance industry. Unless subsidized by the state of Florida, expect more insurance companies to either pull out of Florida, or significantly raise premiums. Everybody in Florida is going to feel some sort of pain from Ian.
Unfortunately very true. It was bad before for house insurances with many carriers pulling out or declare bankrupt...only to get worse I suppose.
Old 10-03-2022, 04:30 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Originally Posted by Tobeit
Unfortunately very true. It was bad before for house insurances with many carriers pulling out or declare bankrupt...only to get worse I suppose.

One reason my brother in law and sister moved out of state. They had resided in the Tampa and Clearwater areas for nearly 25 years.

What he really complained most about was his insurance company attaching such conditions/waivers that wind speed had to be over a certain speed for X amount of time before they covered things like their roof and/ or screen enclosure around their pool. He said on several occasions, his claims were denied because the wind speed was not between the allowed min and max value for some period of time, etc…that was during a strong thunderstorm (not even a hurricane or tornado). Anyway, that’s what he told me, and finally got sick of the insurance games….so he moved to another state.As a commercial pilot, he could live almost anywhere and money was never the issue.

Last edited by CodyBigdog; 10-03-2022 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-03-2022, 04:44 PM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

One reason my brother in law and sister moved out of state. They had resided in the Tampa and Clearwater areas for nearly 25 years.

What he really complained most about was his insurance company attaching such conditions/waivers that wind speed had to be over a certain speed for X amount of time before they covered things like their roof and/ or screen enclosure around their pool. He said on several occasions, his claims were denied because the wind speed was not between the allowed min and max value for some period of time, etc…that was during a strong thunderstorm (not even a hurricane or tornado). Anyway, that’s what he told me, and finally got sick of the insurance games….so he moved to another state.As a commercial pilot, he could live almost anywhere and money was never the issue.
I have not seen that requirement yet. Typically, when its a named storm and NOAA declares you are in the affected area the Hurricane clause kicks in. Normally, it is much cheaper (much lower deductible) when you are not in the Hurricane clause...like a random Tornado, believe it or not.

Also, then there is the issue that they determine if it was wind damage (Hurricane clause) or water (Flood damage). Latter can bite a lot of people for Ian. Many are not in a dedicated flood zone and likely don't carry flood insurance. I am living direct on the water and despite not in a flood zone I always buy Flood Insurance to protect my property value.

Insurances also have been affected by tons of insurance fraud. 1000's of homeowners got roof replacement after a rare Hail Storm 2 years ago or so. Adjusters and contractors alike took advantage and "claimed" sufficient Hail damage so that roofs got replaced by Insurances. I had 3 people get on my roof and telling me if I want I can get a free, new roof - just say the word - despite them also telling me my roof is technically fine.

PS: Latest twist is that now insurances deny coverage if you don't have a roof 17 years or so or newer...independent what type of roof you have and if it has any issues (like tile roofs typically last much longer).

Last edited by Tobeit; 10-03-2022 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-03-2022, 05:03 PM
CodyBigdog
Banned

Before Ian:

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/p...ners-insurance

Quick Reply: Hurricane Ian