Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera s wheel weight & not OEM on long-term car

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2022 | 04:36 PM
Rothen
Intermediate

Default Carrera s wheel weight & not OEM on long-term car

Hi there, I came back to use rennlist after a couple of years! I'm considering the purchase of a 911 4s manual, or, a more budget friendly, 911 4.
I'm new to Canada, and looks like there are biblical times here to get a 911, but still, I can wait for a car like this and it would be hard to find one with the specs I like.
Porsche codes, if you're curious:
4s manual -> http://www.porsche-code.com/PPUZJKR1
4 -> http://www.porsche-code.com/PPXKAAN3

My first question is, anyone knows the weight of the carrera s style 20'/21' wheels?
I had no luck searching on this forum and sending email to parts dealers.
But I had info from wheelenhancement for the carrera classic 20'/21' !!!

992 Carrera Classic
20x8.5" 23 lbs. 13 oz.
21x11.5" 29 lbs. 4 oz.

I like both of them, so even 2 lbs of total unsprung weight could make me decide for one instead of another (oddly the delta between carrera s & classic is 740 CAD on carrera 4 and 1430 CAD on 4s)

Second question, I'd like to consider a lightweight exhaust at some point, but considering my intention would be keeping and taking care of this 992 for +25 years (I support the idea of a 2-cars garage with an dying breed ICE sportcar alongside a spacious, electric, off-road capable, SUV) I'm concerned that an not-OEM lightweight exhaust may be less reliable than an original one from porsche.

Any thoughts, experiences or suggestions on this matter? Thanks guys.
The following users liked this post:
Ull (09-30-2022)
Old 09-30-2022 | 04:44 PM
Rothen
Intermediate

Also, this is what my 11 years old did when I said him to build his favorite 911. I hope he'll change a little bit growing up

http://www.porsche-code.com/PP22WGX1
Old 09-30-2022 | 05:07 PM
zachr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rothen
I'm concerned that an not-OEM lightweight exhaust may be less reliable than an original one from porsche.
Exhausts are just big hunks of metal tubing, sometimes with some muffling material. I'm not sure what's there to be unreliable -- do you have any specific concerns? There are many happy Soul, Akrapovic, Sharkwerks, iPE, Kline etc customers on this forum and I can't recall any reliability concerns among them.
Old 09-30-2022 | 05:12 PM
Rothen
Intermediate

Originally Posted by zachr
Exhausts are just big hunks of metal tubing, sometimes with some muffling material. I'm not sure what's there to be unreliable -- do you have any specific concerns? There are many happy Soul, Akrapovic, Sharkwerks, iPE, Kline etc customers on this forum and I can't recall any reliability concerns among them.
My bad I didn't specified it, but my main concern would be winter road salt
Old 09-30-2022 | 08:58 PM
911Castle
Rennlist Member

If you are that unsprung weight focused (1-2 lbs) you need to check tire weight too.

Last edited by 911Castle; 09-30-2022 at 10:30 PM.
Old 09-30-2022 | 09:11 PM
PorscheObsessed
Racer

Originally Posted by Rothen
Hi there, I came back to use rennlist after a couple of years! I'm considering the purchase of a 911 4s manual, or, a more budget friendly, 911 4.
I'm new to Canada, and looks like there are biblical times here to get a 911, but still, I can wait for a car like this and it would be hard to find one with the specs I like.
Porsche codes, if you're curious:
4s manual -> http://www.porsche-code.com/PPUZJKR1
4 -> http://www.porsche-code.com/PPXKAAN3

My first question is, anyone knows the weight of the carrera s style 20'/21' wheels?
I had no luck searching on this forum and sending email to parts dealers.
But I had info from wheelenhancement for the carrera classic 20'/21' !!!

992 Carrera Classic
20x8.5" 23 lbs. 13 oz.
21x11.5" 29 lbs. 4 oz.

I like both of them, so even 2 lbs of total unsprung weight could make me decide for one instead of another (oddly the delta between carrera s & classic is 740 CAD on carrera 4 and 1430 CAD on 4s)

Second question, I'd like to consider a lightweight exhaust at some point, but considering my intention would be keeping and taking care of this 992 for +25 years (I support the idea of a 2-cars garage with an dying breed ICE sportcar alongside a spacious, electric, off-road capable, SUV) I'm concerned that an not-OEM lightweight exhaust may be less reliable than an original one from porsche.

Any thoughts, experiences or suggestions on this matter? Thanks guys.
your numbers for Classic wheels is quite a bit understated. 23-24lbs range with 20 inch wheels are forged aluminum territory. Classics are not forged.
You can generally add 4 pounds from 20 to 21 wheels. 21inch Classics weigh ~31lbs (someone weighed it on YT), I estimate the 20s to be ~28lbs.
akrapovic slipons can help shed~17 lbs. most titanium options would be in that range.
HRE lightweight wheels or Litespeed will help you shed ~40lbs of unsprung weight. Exhaust would be another 20ish.
The following users liked this post:
Ull (10-01-2022)

Quick Reply: Carrera s wheel weight & not OEM on long-term car